GMAT Changed on April 16th - Read about the latest changes here

It is currently 24 May 2018, 03:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Though perhaps less visceral and emotionally satisfying than her previ

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
Premium Member
Re: Though perhaps less visceral and emotionally satisfying than her previ [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2016, 01:32
I understand why 'moving' is wrong here structurally. However, can anyone explain using the grammar rules why does the 'moving' refer to 'write' and not 'best seller' since it is a verb-ing modifier without a comma which modifies the preceding noun,which happens to be 'Best seller' here. sayantanc2k ?
Thanks in advance.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Expert
G
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Though perhaps less visceral and emotionally satisfying than her previ [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2016, 12:55
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
jjindal wrote:
I understand why 'moving' is wrong here structurally. However, can anyone explain using the grammar rules why does the 'moving' refer to 'write' and not 'best seller' since it is a verb-ing modifier without a comma which modifies the preceding noun,which happens to be 'Best seller' here. sayantanc2k ?
Thanks in advance.

I do not see any problem with the use of "moving" here (present participle without comma) - it correctly modifies the noun it touches ("best seller"). The problem with D and E is the wrong usage of "and".
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2016, 06:54
sayantanc2k wrote:
goforgmat wrote:
WaterFlowsUp wrote:
Though perhaps less visceral and emotionally satisfying than her previous novels, “The Namesake” attests to Jhumpa Lahiri’s ability to write a best seller that moves back and forth between the comic and tragic, the satirical and the intimately personal

A)that moves back and forth between the comic and tragic, the satirical and the intimately personal.

B) that moves back and forth between the comic and tragic, with the satirical and the intimately personal.

C)that has moved back and forth between the comic and tragic, and between the satirical and intimately personal.

D) moving back and forth between the comic and tragic, and the satirical and the intimately personal.

E) moving back and forth between the comic and tragic and the satirical and the intimately personal.

When we have a parallel structure as in the above,
a and b,c and d(say) shoudn't the parallel lists be separated by a semicolon for the sake of clarity?

Semicolons are used to separate items of a list, if the list is nested within an item of another outer list, whose items are separated by commas.

Following is an example from Manhattan SC guide:

Wrong: I listen to Earth, Wind & Fire, Wow, Owls, and Blood, Sweat & Tears.
Right: I listen to Earth, Wind & Fire; Wow, Owls; and Blood, Sweat & Tears.

Another point to observe:

The back and forth movement takes place BETWEEN 3 items:
1. the comic and tragic,
2. the satirical
3. the intimately personal

It is correct to use "between" rather than "among" even when there are more than 2 items, when these items are distinct, and not referred as a group as a whole.

Hi,

can you please explain the difference between "that clause" and "moving" here?

“Most of the important things in the world have been accomplished by people who have kept on trying when there seemed to be no hope at all.”

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Expert
G

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2016, 14:42
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
emmafoster wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:

Semicolons are used to separate items of a list, if the list is nested within an item of another outer list, whose items are separated by commas.

1. the comic and tragic,
2. the satirical

It is correct to use "between" rather than "among" even when there are more than 2 items, when these items are distinct, and not referred as a group as a whole.

Hi,

can you please explain the difference between "that clause" and "moving" here?

There is none. A present participle (verb-ing) modifier without a comma may act in the same way as a that-clause does.

I saw a bird flying above the tree.
I saw a bird that was flying above the tree.

Both the above sentences have the same meaning and are grammatically correct. In the same way "...best seller that moves... " and " ...best seller moving...." are both correct.
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 2: 670 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.26
WE: Operations (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2016, 00:01
sayantanc2k wrote:

This is a completely new concept to me. If you can help with any OG question or text book reference, it will be of great help to re-inforce my understandings.

"Don't be satisfied with stories, how things have gone with others. Unfold your own myth."-Rumi

Consider hitting on kudos button for a sec, if this post helps you.

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
G

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2016, 03:57
gocoder wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:

This is a completely new concept to me. If you can help with any OG question or text book reference, it will be of great help to re-inforce my understandings.

This is a concept from English grammar - not a special tip or technique for GMAT. I would suggest that you check any good English grammar book (or even the internet, if you are confident about the authenticity of the source).

e.g.,
I must select between red, blue and green... correct.
I must select among those 3 colors...... correct.
Between A, B and C, B is the best.........correct
Among the boys standing there, the middle one is the best......correct
Retired Moderator
P
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2016, 08:51
sayantanc2k wrote:
goforgmat wrote:
WaterFlowsUp wrote:
Though perhaps less visceral and emotionally satisfying than her previous novels, “The Namesake” attests to Jhumpa Lahiri’s ability to write a best seller that moves back and forth between the comic and tragic, the satirical and the intimately personal

A)that moves back and forth between the comic and tragic, the satirical and the intimately personal.

B) that moves back and forth between the comic and tragic, with the satirical and the intimately personal.

C)that has moved back and forth between the comic and tragic, and between the satirical and intimately personal.

D) moving back and forth between the comic and tragic, and the satirical and the intimately personal.

E) moving back and forth between the comic and tragic and the satirical and the intimately personal.

a and b,c and d(say) shoudn't the parallel lists be separated by a semicolon for the sake of clarity?

1. the comic and tragic,
2. the satirical

Hi sayantanc2k,

Can you please elaborate a bit more on : It is correct to use "between" rather than "among" even when there are more than 2 items, when these items are distinct, and not referred as a group as a whole.

In this case: isn't comic, tragic, personal and satirical - themes or styles used in writing? So typically they are genres?
Director
Director
V
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2016, 11:03
WaterFlowsUp wrote:

Answer A, because it is concise and maintains parallelism

Please give kudos, if you like my post

When the going gets tough, the tough gets going...

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
G

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2016, 13:21
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
warriorguy wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:
goforgmat wrote:

1. the comic and tragic,
2. the satirical

Hi sayantanc2k,

Can you please elaborate a bit more on : It is correct to use "between" rather than "among" even when there are more than 2 items, when these items are distinct, and not referred as a group as a whole.

In this case: isn't comic, tragic, personal and satirical - themes or styles used in writing? So typically they are genres?

I must select between black, red and green... correct
I must select among these 3 colors... correct

The first example uses "between" because distinct colors are mentioned.
The second example uses "among" because all the colors are described within one group (3 colors - the distinct choices are no longer mentioned).

Instead of distinct colors, they could be distinct groups or distinct genres as well.

When registering for the annual music competition, you must choose a genre between pop, rock and jazz.
When registering for the annual music competition, you must choose among these 3 genres.
In the second example the three genres together form the group - the distinct choices that you may make are no longer mentioned (though each distinct choice in the first example is a group by itself).
Manager
Manager
G
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2017, 08:37
Hello Friends, my 2 cents...
sayantanc2k is absolutely correct that we can use between for not only 2 items which can be generic, but also 3 or more items which are distinct like proper nouns and items with article the used in front of it.

Some useful links are:
http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/educat ... rsus-among
http://english.stackexchange.com/questi ... two-things
I have always found these links very helpful. Hopefully these are helpful to you guys as well.

If these details are helpful, please kudo!!! :)
Manager
Manager
B
GPA: 3.92

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2017, 23:32
For those who are non-native English speakers, this is the type of question that can be tricky. This type of contrast is found quite a bit in both fiction and non-fiction writing.
VP
VP
D
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2017, 12:46
WaterFlowsUp wrote:

Hello daagh, could you please throw some light on the critical nuances of this problem and similar problems in general. The differences among the options are very minute and I am unable to comprehend the explanation given by other experts.

Awaiting your reply.
Regards

Kudos if my post helps!

Long And A Fruitful Journey - V21 to V41; If I can, So Can You!!

My study resources:
1. Useful Formulae, Concepts and Tricks-Quant
2. e-GMAT's ALL SC Compilation
3. LSAT RC compilation
4. Actual LSAT CR collection by Broal
5. QOTD RC (Carcass)
6. Challange OG RC
7. GMAT Prep Challenge RC

Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V35
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.4
Though perhaps less visceral and emotionally satisfying than her previ [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2017, 23:24
sayantanc2k wrote:
goforgmat wrote:
WaterFlowsUp wrote:

1. the comic and tragic,
2. the satirical

GMATNinja, GMATNinjaTwo, RonPurewal, egmat

Please help me out with this one

The official Veritas Prep solution says

(A) reads: to write a best seller that moves between the comic and tragic, (and between) the satirical and the intimately personal. This type of repeated structure, in which the second part seems incomplete because it does not repeat all the words from the original structure, is uncommon but correct.

What i dont understand is that

Whether the back and forth movement takes place BETWEEN 3 items:
1. the comic and tragic,
2. the satirical

OR the movement takes place
BETWEEN the comic and tragic, (and between) the satirical and the intimately personal.

Thanks
Manager
Manager
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2017, 13:47
Not sure why we have this ridiculous debate on there. Can anyone provide an official example of *between* is used on 3 items? If not then, it doesn't matter if it is acceptable in English grammar because we are exclusively dealing with GMAT grammar.

There's no point beating on this structure as it is not worth learning, at least in my opinion. On the contrary, it is probably better to remember that between is strictly used on two things and among for 3 things +, since this is actually a rule that GMAT abides and one that you may get tested.

Insanity at its finest.

Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V35
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.4

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2017, 06:53
sayantanc2k wrote:
goforgmat wrote:
WaterFlowsUp wrote:

1. the comic and tragic,
2. the satirical

Please help me out with this one

The official Veritas Prep solution says

(A) reads: to write a best seller that moves between the comic and tragic, (and between) the satirical and the intimately personal. This type of repeated structure, in which the second part seems incomplete because it does not repeat all the words from the original structure, is uncommon but correct.

What i dont understand is that

Whether the back and forth movement takes place BETWEEN 3 items:
1. the comic and tragic,
2. the satirical

OR the movement takes place
BETWEEN the comic and tragic, (and between) the satirical and the intimately personal.

mikemcgarry, ChiranjeevSingh

Please help me out with the above doubt.

Thanks
Manager
Manager
B
Schools: SMU '19, LBS
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V33
GPA: 3.3

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2018, 02:03
Hii e-gmat, I am confused between A and D. IN A it is not clear what is the second list but in D the second list is very clear because of use of and.
Re: Though perhaps less visceral and emotionally satisfying than her previ   [#permalink] 05 Feb 2018, 02:03

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 36 posts ] 

Though perhaps less visceral and emotionally satisfying than her previ

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap