It is currently 19 Oct 2017, 15:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Though perhaps less visceral and emotionally satisfying than her previ

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

8 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Affiliations: National Institute of Technology, Durgapur

Kudos [?]: 694 [8], given: 80

GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Though perhaps less visceral and emotionally satisfying than her previ [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 May 2015, 00:36
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

43% (00:56) correct 57% (01:09) wrong based on 938 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Though perhaps less visceral and emotionally satisfying than her previous novels, “The Namesake” attests to Jhumpa Lahiri’s ability to write a best seller that moves back and forth between the comic and tragic, the satirical and the intimately personal

(A) that moves back and forth between the comic and tragic, the satirical and the intimately personal.

(B) that moves back and forth between the comic and tragic, with the satirical and the intimately personal.

(C) that has moved back and forth between the comic and tragic, and between the satirical and intimately personal.

(D) moving back and forth between the comic and tragic, and the satirical and the intimately personal.

(E) moving back and forth between the comic and tragic and the satirical and the intimately personal.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Regards,

S

Consider +1 KUDOS if you find this post useful

Kudos [?]: 694 [8], given: 80

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 12

GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.56
WE: Marketing (Telecommunications)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Though perhaps less visceral and emotionally satisfying than her previ [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 May 2015, 02:58
i chose E
A and B are wrong due to the incorrect sentence formation C shows ,+ and which is a sign for independent clause coming in next
between D & E E is correct coz D has , between the 2 phrases which i think is incorrect

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 12

Manager
Manager
Status: I am not a product of my circumstances. I am a product of my decisions

Kudos [?]: 121 [0], given: 68

Concentration: Operations, General Management
GPA: 3.92
WE: Operations (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Though perhaps less visceral and emotionally satisfying than her previ [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 May 2015, 07:50
Udai wrote:
i chose E
A and B are wrong due to the incorrect sentence formation C shows ,+ and which is a sign for independent clause coming in next
between D & E E is correct coz D has , between the 2 phrases which i think is incorrect

I couldn't understand why you chose E as the OA. Isn't "moving back and forth" illogically modifying the "best seller"?

For me OA is C

Kudos [?]: 121 [0], given: 68

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 238 [0], given: 39

Show Tags

New post 26 May 2015, 01:32
Ashishmathew01081987 wrote:
Udai wrote:
i chose E

I couldn't understand why you chose E as the OA. Isn't "moving back and forth" illogically modifying the "best seller"?

For me OA is C

Hi,

Here are my 2 cents.

Like ashish rightly said , moving has been used wrongly so D and E are out. But I dont know why you chose C cause "attests" is simple present and there is no need to use "has moved".

But I chose B :lol:

I chose B over A because "the comic and tragic, the satirical and the intimately personal" should actually be "the comic and the tragic, the satirical and the intimately personal"

Since "the" is omitted before tragic.

Kindly correct me if I am wrong.

Regards,
Dom

Kudos [?]: 238 [0], given: 39

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 35

Show Tags

New post 28 May 2015, 10:53
Would there be any difference between A and D or E, if either of D or E were correct in list formation?

"Best seller that moves....." Vs "best seller moving....."

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 35

Expert Post
6 KUDOS received
Optimus Prep Instructor
B

Kudos [?]: 523 [6], given: 23

Show Tags

New post 28 May 2015, 13:21
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Though perhaps less visceral and emotionally satisfying than her previous novels, “The Namesake” attests to Jhumpa Lahiri’s ability to write a best seller that moves back and forth between the comic and tragic, the satirical and the intimately personal.

A)that moves back and forth between the comic and tragic, the satirical and the intimately personal.

B) that moves back and forth between the comic and tragic, with the satirical and the intimately personal.
"with" makes the phrase not parallel
C)that has moved back and forth between the comic and tragic, and between the satirical and intimately personal.
use of the present perfect is not necessary
D) moving back and forth between the comic and tragic, and the satirical and the intimately personal.
should say "that moves," the addition of "and" before "the satirical" is not necessary as it changes the meaning
E) moving back and forth between the comic and tragic and the satirical and the intimately personal.
should say "that moves," the addition of "and" before "the satirical" is not necessary as it changes the meaning and creates a run on sentence

Janielle Williams

Customer Support

Special Offer: $80-100/hr. Online Private Tutoring
GMAT On Demand Course $299
Free Online Trial Hour

Kudos [?]: 523 [6], given: 23

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 141 [0], given: 216

Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GPA: 3.6
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 03 Jun 2015, 16:52
OptimusPrepJanielle:
Between is used only for 2 things. How can we say chose between A, B & C ?
We always use among for selection for more than 2 items.
In option B, using with makes the list one with 2 entities :
1. comic and tragic, with the satirical
&
2. and the intimately personal
Please help clarify the doubt ?

Kudos [?]: 141 [0], given: 216

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Optimus Prep Instructor
B

Kudos [?]: 523 [1], given: 23

Show Tags

New post 04 Jun 2015, 02:47
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
&

Yes, between is used for two things. You would use among for A, B, and C. But that is not what is being done here. It's 1) the comic and tragic (between these two things) 2) the satirical and the intimately personal (between these two things)..not the comic and the tragic and the satirical and the intimately personal, or any other combination of these four items listed. In option B "with" is not correct. The satirical and intimately personal are separate from the comic and the tragic.

Janielle Williams

Customer Support

Free Online Trial Hour

Kudos [?]: 523 [1], given: 23

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 131 [0], given: 57

Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41

Show Tags

New post 04 Jun 2015, 03:17
OptimusPrepJanielle wrote:
&

Yes, between is used for two things. You would use among for A, B, and C. But that is not what is being done here. It's 1) the comic and tragic (between these two things) 2) the satirical and the intimately personal (between these two things)..not the comic and the tragic and the satirical and the intimately personal, or any other combination of these four items listed. In option B "with" is not correct. The satirical and intimately personal are separate from the comic and the tragic.

You are right but in the sentence "that moves back and forth between the comic and tragic, the satirical and the intimately personal" doesn't "the" show the parallelism marker to be "between"......and then "between" would be comparing 3 things??

Apoorv

I realize that i cannot change the world....But i can play a part :)

Kudos [?]: 131 [0], given: 57

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Optimus Prep Instructor
B

Kudos [?]: 523 [2], given: 23

Show Tags

New post 04 Jun 2015, 03:42
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
that moves back and forth between the comic and tragic, the satirical and the intimately personal.

Understand the sentence as follows: that moves back and forth between the comic and tragic, that moves back and forth between the satirical and the intimately personal.

Janielle Williams

Customer Support

Free Online Trial Hour

Kudos [?]: 523 [2], given: 23

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 113

Show Tags

New post 04 Jun 2015, 03:44
I agree,

A may be correct but I kept failing to understand how..

either there is an extra THE fragment or it needed proper parallel marker.

apoorv601 wrote:
OptimusPrepJanielle wrote:
&

You are right but in the sentence "that moves back and forth between the comic and tragic, the satirical and the intimately personal" doesn't "the" show the parallelism marker to be "between"......and then "between" would be comparing 3 things??

Kudos to you, for helping me with some KUDOS.

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 113

Expert Post
Optimus Prep Instructor
B

Kudos [?]: 523 [0], given: 23

Show Tags

New post 04 Jun 2015, 04:03
On occasion, the correct answer choice in sentence corrections is still not the most ideal way of stating ideas. It's simply the most correct relative to the other choices.

Janielle Williams

Customer Support

Free Online Trial Hour

Kudos [?]: 523 [0], given: 23

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 916

Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V34
GMAT 2: 700 Q42 V44
GMAT 3: 680 Q44 V39
GMAT 4: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.7
WE: Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2015, 07:03
I have a problem understanding answer explanations saying that "X is unnecessary". Now, this is obviously not an official problem, and IMO options (B), (D) and (E) can be easily eliminated. Between (A) and (C), I though:

(A) - No real issue here, though the grouping is a bit difficult to understand; Additionally, I think the two structures are not perfectly parallel because of the "the" intimately personal.
"that moves back and forth between the comic and tragic, the satirical and the intimately personal."

(C) - Obviously there is no clear reason for having present perfect, I agree. But the parallelism problem is resolved here.
"that has moved back and forth between the comic and tragic, and between the satirical and intimately personal."

For the above mentioned reasons, I chose (C). I still think that because (A) has a clear parallelism problem, (C) is preferable as it has a tense issue, which I would consider just suboptimal and is lower in terms of order of magnitude.

My 2 cents...

Thank you very much for reading this post till the end! Kudos?

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 916

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 42

Concentration: Technology, Marketing
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2015, 07:22
it had to be between 'A' and 'B'. Can someone please explain the usage of 'between' here?...the 'between' construction got me thinking really hard, although i got the right answer.

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 42

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 90 [0], given: 349

Concentration: General Management, Economics
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V33
WE: Sales (Telecommunications)

Show Tags

New post 11 Feb 2016, 13:23
jayanthjanardhan wrote:
it had to be between 'A' and 'B'. Can someone please explain the usage of 'between' here?...the 'between' construction got me thinking really hard, although i got the right answer.

"Between" is used to compare two entities. If you want to compare more than two entities use "among". Here usage of "between" in A is correct since we have comma between two sets of entities that are compared

"Are you gangsters?" - "No we are Russians!"

Kudos [?]: 90 [0], given: 349

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 196

Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 2.8
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2016, 12:22
WaterFlowsUp wrote:
Though perhaps less visceral and emotionally satisfying than her previous novels, “The Namesake” attests to Jhumpa Lahiri’s ability to write a best seller that moves back and forth between the comic and tragic, the satirical and the intimately personal

A)that moves back and forth between the comic and tragic, the satirical and the intimately personal.

B) that moves back and forth between the comic and tragic, with the satirical and the intimately personal.

C)that has moved back and forth between the comic and tragic, and between the satirical and intimately personal.

D) moving back and forth between the comic and tragic, and the satirical and the intimately personal.

E) moving back and forth between the comic and tragic and the satirical and the intimately personal.

When we have a parallel structure as in the above,
a and b,c and d(say) shoudn't the parallel lists be separated by a semicolon for the sake of clarity?

Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3300 [3], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)

Show Tags

New post 05 Apr 2016, 07:17
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
goforgmat wrote:
WaterFlowsUp wrote:

a and b,c and d(say) shoudn't the parallel lists be separated by a semicolon for the sake of clarity?

Semicolons are used to separate items of a list, if the list is nested within an item of another outer list, whose items are separated by commas.

Following is an example from Manhattan SC guide:

Wrong: I listen to Earth, Wind & Fire, Wow, Owls, and Blood, Sweat & Tears.
Right: I listen to Earth, Wind & Fire; Wow, Owls; and Blood, Sweat & Tears.

Another point to observe:

The back and forth movement takes place BETWEEN 3 items:
1. the comic and tragic,
2. the satirical
3. the intimately personal

It is correct to use "between" rather than "among" even when there are more than 2 items, when these items are distinct, and not referred as a group as a whole.

Kudos [?]: 3300 [3], given: 22

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2016, 00:06
sayantanc2k wrote:
goforgmat wrote:
WaterFlowsUp wrote:

Semicolons are used to separate items of a list, if the list is nested within an item of another outer list, whose items are separated by commas.

1. the comic and tragic,
2. the satirical

It is correct to use "between" rather than "among" even when there are more than 2 items, when these items are distinct, and not referred as a group as a whole.

The absence of comma made me think that the satirical and intimately personal are one list items !
Isn't it a rule in gmat that a comma should precede and when there are more than 2 items?

Please explain !

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2016, 00:06
sayantanc2k wrote:
goforgmat wrote:
WaterFlowsUp wrote:

1. the comic and tragic,
2. the satirical

The absence of comma made me think that the satirical and intimately personal are one list items !
Isn't it a rule in gmat that a comma should precede and when there are more than 2 items?

Please explain !

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3300 [0], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2016, 12:18
goforgmat wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:
goforgmat wrote:

1. the comic and tragic,
2. the satirical

Please explain !

A comma before the last item is optional.
In GMAT generally it is found that a comma is used before the last item. However in any official explanation I have not found that a comma is mandatory.

Kudos [?]: 3300 [0], given: 22

Re: Though perhaps less visceral and emotionally satisfying than her previ   [#permalink] 08 Apr 2016, 12:18

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 33 posts ] 

Though perhaps less visceral and emotionally satisfying than her previ

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap