It is currently 13 Dec 2017, 16:46

Decision(s) Day!:

CHAT Rooms | Ross R1 | Kellogg R1 | Darden R1 | Tepper R1

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Though the law will require emissions testing of all diesel

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 122

Concentration: Nonprofit, International Business
GMAT 1: 710 Q46 V41
GMAT 2: 720 Q48 V40
GPA: 4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Reviews Badge
Re: Though the law will require emissions testing of all diesel [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2017, 18:53
Vercules wrote:
sujit2k7 wrote:
Can some gurus help ? Is it a gmat prep question can some one confirm?

My take on the question...

Though the law will require emissions testing of all diesel vehicles, from tractor trailers to excursion buses, it will have no effect on sport utility vehicles, almost all of which are gasoline powered, and will not be subjected to emissions-control standards as stringent as they are for diesel-powered vehicles.

Though the law will require emissions testing of all diesel vehicles , from tractor trailers to excursion buses,
it will have no effect on sport utility vehicles, almost all of
which are gasoline powered,
and will not be subjected to emissions-control standards as stringent
as they are for diesel-powered vehicles.

a
A. powered, and will not be subjected to emissions-control standards as stringent as they are for
the subject of the sentence is 'The Law' - making it wrong

B. powered, and therefore not subjected to emissions-control standards that are as stringent as those of
the missing subject can only be : The law - so meaning is changed

C. powered and therefore not subject to emissions-control standards as stringent as those for
the missing subject can only be : The law - so meaning is changed

D. powered, which are not subject to emissions-control standards as stringent as they are for
which refers to sport vehicles , it should be "are not subjected to"- as passive format used ; also they is referring to again to vehicles

E. powered and therefore they are not subject to emissions-control standards as stringent as those of

they - from parallelism point it should be the law, laws for is correct ,laws of is incorrect

so for me none of these, but if it is a Official question i need to learn...please some one help

Hi Sujit,

This question is not from a reliable source. It seems to be from GDW, a Chinese guy who claims to have remembered all of his GMAT tests' questions. But there are a lot of such questions floating on the net, so it is doubtful that this question is official.

Even though the source is doubtful, (C) looks best of all the answer choices.

The missing subject is not "the law" but the sport utility vehicles. Lets replace all the pronouns with their antecedents into the sentence.

all of sport utility vehicles are gasoline powered and all of sports utility vehicles are therefore not subject to emissions-control standards as stringent as the emissions-control standards for diesel-powered vehicles.. Moreover, (C) correctly uses the present simple tense to express a characteristic that is usually true for gasoline engines.

(B) and (E) are incorrect in their use of "those of", it should be "those for". In (A) and (B) the missing subject is "it", which refers to "the law". If (C) would have got a comma before "and" then the missing subject would have been "the Law". 'they" in (D) is ambiguous as it can refer to either "emission standards" or "vehicles"

Hope this helps,

Vercules

This is an official q. GMATPrep. C is not a perfect choice but it omits the flaws that the other choices possess!

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 122

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 47 [1], given: 17

GPA: 3.98

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2017, 10:14
This post received
KUDOS
chejw wrote:
Though the law will require emissions testing of all diesel vehicles, from tractor trailers to excursion buses, it will have no effect on sport utility vehicles, almost all of which are gasoline powered, and will not be subjected to emissions-control standards as stringent as they are for diesel-powered vehicles.
A. powered, and will not be subjected to emissions-control standards as stringent as they are for
B. powered, and therefore not subjected to emissions-control standards that are as stringent as those of
C. powered and therefore not subject to emissions-control standards as stringent as those for
D. powered, which are not subject to emissions-control standards as stringent as they are for
E. powered and therefore they are not subject to emissions-control standards as stringent as those of

[Reveal] Spoiler:
I chose A, but the listed answer is C.
the idiom is: be subjecte to or just subject to??
Which one is better?
OA: C

Many bloggers have asked why the official answer C uses subject instead of subjected, but I have not seen a valid answer to this question.
I will give my opinion.

The word subject is not only used as a verb, but also as an adjective. The adjective "subject" means "owing obedience or allegiance to the power or dominion of another" according to Merrian Webster dictionary. This adjective is parallel to "gasoline powered", which is also used as an adjective.

I hope this explanation helps.

Clipper Ledgard
GMAT Coach

Kudos [?]: 47 [1], given: 17

VP
VP
G

Kudos [?]: 89 [0], given: 570

Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: 314 Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2017, 10:56
Imo C

Correct idiom is correct=as adjective as

Sent from my ONE E1003 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

We are more often frightened than hurt; and we suffer more from imagination than from reality

Kudos [?]: 89 [0], given: 570

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 36

GMAT 1: 700 Q51 V34

Show Tags

New post 06 Jul 2017, 03:07
This question came on GMAT PREP 6 paper.

So i figured this question in the following way-
"Though the law ....... it will have no effect on SUV, almost all of which ( referring to SUV) -
--ARE gasoline powerED
-- ARE not subjectED to emissions-control standards that are as stringent as those for diesel-powered vehicles

But none of the choices had this option. Option B had a problem - it used OF instead of FOR.

OA marked for this was C. HOW?
I find 2 mistakes in this option-
A) Parallelism required ED in subject.
B) Without the word THAT after standards, it appears the sentence is saying-
-- SUV are not subject to something as stringent as ....
Shouldn't the Adjective stringent be adverb STRINGENTLY?

Manager
Manager
B

GMAT 1: 700 Q51 V34

Show Tags

New post 06 Jul 2017, 03:16
cledgard wrote:
chejw wrote:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
I chose A, but the listed answer is C.
the idiom is: be subjecte to or just subject to??
Which one is better?
OA: C

Many bloggers have asked why the official answer C uses subject instead of subjected, but I have not seen a valid answer to this question.
I will give my opinion.

The word subject is not only used as a verb, but also as an adjective. The adjective "subject" means "owing obedience or allegiance to the power or dominion of another" according to Merrian Webster dictionary. This adjective is parallel to "gasoline powered", which is also used as an adjective.

I hope this explanation helps.

Hi cledgard
I was looking for this answer, thank you. I still have a doubt-
Almost all which-
--are Gasoline powered
-- are subject to something as STRINGENT as....

Shouldn't STRINGENT be replaced by STRINGENTLY ( because as the sentence is phrased in option C, Stringent should be an adverb. NO?). Stringent is sounding incomplete.

Top Contributor
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 8330 [0], given: 366

WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 06 Jul 2017, 06:38
Top Contributor

'They are for' is the correct idiom; 'they are of' is incorrect. This is where the strategy starts. Remove B and E for using the wrong idiom.

A. powered, and will not be subjected to emissions-control standards as stringent as they are for --- 1. The pronoun 'they' looks suspect; one can't say for sure whether 'they' refers to the standards or the SUVs. 2. The shift of tense from the present to the future namely - will not be subjected to -- seems pointless.

B. powered, and therefore not subjected to emissions-control standards that are as stringent as those of -- the wrong idiom
C. powered and therefore not subject to emissions-control standards as stringent as those for -- correct choice.

D. powered, which are not subject to emissions-control standards as stringent as they are for -- here we have two relative clauses without proper conjugation, leading to doubts whether one modifier modifies the other.

E. powered and therefore they are not subject to emissions-control standards as stringent as those of-- the wrong idiom

Can you solve at least some SC questions without delving into the initial statement?

Narendran 98845 44509

Kudos [?]: 8330 [0], given: 366

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 14

CAT Tests
Though the law will require emissions testing of all diesel [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Oct 2017, 09:59
Hi experts,

In choice E, I know "they are" is unnecesarry and that of is incorrect, but does the presence of "they are" (SV) demand a comma before "and", making this issue another reason why E is wrong?

Kind regards,
Cristián

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 14

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
S

Kudos [?]: 9428 [1], given: 348

Show Tags

New post 27 Oct 2017, 14:25
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
CristianJuarez wrote:
Hi experts,

In choice E, I know "they are" is unnecesarry and that of is incorrect, but does the presence of "they are" (SV) demand a comma before "and", making this issue another reason why E is wrong?

Kind regards,
Cristián

Hello Cristián CristianJuarez,

I will be glad to help you out with this one. :-)

Yes, your your analysis of the structure in Choice E mentioned in your post is absolutely correct.

Since therefore they are... is an independent clause, the connector and must be preceded by a comma to connect this clause to the preceding independent clause.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Kudos [?]: 9428 [1], given: 348

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 9 [1], given: 44

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2017, 16:06
This post received
KUDOS

A. powered, and will not be subjected to emissions-control standards as stringent as they are for. Is they referring to vehicles or standards. ambiguous

B. powered, and therefore not subjected to emissions-control standards that are as stringent as those of. wrong idiom; standards of implies vehicles set the standards. I'm selective in whom I date; my standards are higher standards than those of my my peers. Standards for means standards imposed on someone or something; this is the author's intended meaning.

C. powered and therefore not subject to emissions-control standards as stringent as those for. Correct

D. powered, which are not subject to emissions-control standards as stringent as they are for. Same reason as B.

E. powered and therefore they are not subject to emissions-control standards as stringent as those of. Same reason as C.

Give me kudos and see what happens to your GMAT score :-)

Kudos [?]: 9 [1], given: 44

Verbal Forum Moderator
V

Kudos [?]: 1065 [0], given: 90

Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 17 Nov 2017, 00:15
A. powered, and will not be subjected to emissions-control standards as stringent as they are for - cause and effect is missing since there is no therefore or so here
B. powered, and therefore not subjected to emissions-control standards that are as stringent as those of - those of to refer to standard of vehicles is nonsensical - Though the law will require emissions ; The vehicles themselves set the standards. (Should be "standards for vehicles" instead.)
C. powered and therefore not subject to emissions-control standards as stringent as those for - Correct
D. powered, which are not subject to emissions-control standards as stringent as they are for - "which" doesn't follow a noun here
E. powered and therefore they are not subject to emissions-control standards as stringent as those of - same as B ; parallelism issue - modifier ((almost all of) which are...) in parallel with a complete sentence (they are...)

Answer C

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford
The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful

Kudos [?]: 1065 [0], given: 90

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 145

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 17 Nov 2017, 01:44
Skywalker18 wrote:
A. powered, and will not be subjected to emissions-control standards as stringent as they are for - cause and effect is missing since there is no therefore or so here
B. powered, and therefore not subjected to emissions-control standards that are as stringent as those of - those of to refer to standard of vehicles is nonsensical - Though the law will require emissions ; The vehicles themselves set the standards. (Should be "standards for vehicles" instead.)
C. powered and therefore not subject to emissions-control standards as stringent as those for - Correct
D. powered, which are not subject to emissions-control standards as stringent as they are for - "which" doesn't follow a noun here
E. powered and therefore they are not subject to emissions-control standards as stringent as those of - same as B ; parallelism issue - modifier ((almost all of) which are...) in parallel with a complete sentence (they are...)

Answer C

Hi Skywalker,
Both A and C look good to me.
Option a says- "it will have no effect.. and it will not be subjected to emission standards as..." . So, how is option a wrong.
In option C- powered and therefore not subject to emissions-control standards as stringent as those for. Dont u think we need a verb- is / will not be. Kindly help me in the reasoning of this question.

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 145

Re: Though the law will require emissions testing of all diesel   [#permalink] 17 Nov 2017, 01:44

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 31 posts ] 

Though the law will require emissions testing of all diesel

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap