It is currently 24 Sep 2017, 17:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Though the term

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 05 Apr 2011
Posts: 2

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 1

Re: Though the term [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2011, 07:57
can somebody explain why option "D" here is wrong. I came down to B and D and marked D. The explanations above are little confusing for me. Help please....

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 1

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 20 Jul 2010
Posts: 262

Kudos [?]: 99 [0], given: 9

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Though the term [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 May 2011, 05:36
I agree with B. "Graphic Design" is singular and so we need it has. wide ranging is correct.

I am not clear on use of suggest in all sentences. Isn't "suggest" a plural verb which is incorrect for "graphic design".
_________________

If you like my post, consider giving me some KUDOS !!!!! Like you I need them


Last edited by saxenashobhit on 03 May 2011, 06:44, edited 1 time in total.

Kudos [?]: 99 [0], given: 9

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 07 Jan 2011
Posts: 25

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 4

Re: Though the term [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 May 2011, 06:36
"B" for me.

"they " - Goes with plural. Which narrow down my choice with B and D to select "it"
"D" doesnt agree with singular . "have" goes with plural

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 4

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 02 Nov 2010
Posts: 38

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 23

Re: Though the term [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 May 2011, 08:11
B. Only answer that doesn't break any rules.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 23

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 17 Mar 2010
Posts: 62

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 2

Location: Hyderabad, India
WE 1: Deloitte 3 yrs
WE 2: Prok going on
Re: Though the term [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 May 2011, 21:59
Hang Tuah wrote:
Though the term "graphic design" may suggest laying out corporate brochures and annual reports, they have come to signify widely ranging work, from package designs and company logotypes to signs, book jackets, computer graphics, and film titles.

(A) suggest laying out corporate brochures and annual reports, they have come to signify widely ranging
(B) suggest laying out corporate brochures and annual reports, it has come to signify a wide range of
(C) suggest corporate brochure and annual report layout, it has signified a widely ranging
(D) have suggested corporate brochure and annual report layout, it has signified a wide range of
(E) has suggested laying out corporate brochures and annual reports, they have come to signify widely ranging


A) suggest laying out corporate brochures and annual reports, they have come to signify widely ranging...wrong
B) Keep it on hold...seems ok
C)suggest corporate brochure and annual report layout, it has signified a widely ranging....something wrong here..if it were ranging from x to y it would have been correct...anyways this construction is faulty..so wrong.
D) Here the construction....(has suggested... it has signified..) is faulty as the time gap is not clear...I mean what is refers to and what it has refereed in past or any other time.
E) Wrong as well because it uses they


So B is answer though it is not the best construction.
_________________

Akhil Mittal

I have not failed. I've just found 10000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

If my post was helpful to you then encourage me by your kudos :)

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 2

VP
VP
avatar
Status: There is always something new !!
Affiliations: PMI,QAI Global,eXampleCG
Joined: 08 May 2009
Posts: 1295

Kudos [?]: 275 [0], given: 10

Re: Though the term [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 May 2011, 22:44
B is in, C has problems of tense and widely ranging.
_________________

Visit -- http://www.sustainable-sphere.com/
Promote Green Business,Sustainable Living and Green Earth !!

Kudos [?]: 275 [0], given: 10

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 24 Mar 2011
Posts: 443

Kudos [?]: 208 [0], given: 20

Location: Texas
Re: Though the term [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2011, 18:58
saxenashobhit wrote:
I agree with B. "Graphic Design" is singular and so we need it has. wide ranging is correct.

I am not clear on use of suggest in all sentences. Isn't "suggest" a plural verb which is incorrect for "graphic design".


i have the same Question, about 'suggest' - will someone who knows, explain it?

Kudos [?]: 208 [0], given: 20

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 18 Dec 2011
Posts: 107

Kudos [?]: 107 [0], given: 113

Though the term graphic design may suggest laying out [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jan 2012, 16:57
Though the term “graphic design” may suggest laying out corporate brochures and annual reports, they have come to signify widely ranging work, from package designs and company logotypes to signs, book jackets, computer graphics, and film titles.

A. suggest laying out corporate brochures and annual reports, they have come to signify widely ranging
B. suggest laying out corporate brochures and annual reports, it has come to signify a wide range of
C. suggest corporate brochure and annual report layout, it has signified widely ranging
D. have suggested corporate brochure and annual report layout, it has signified a wide range of
E. have suggested laying out corporate brochures and annual reports, they have come to signify widely ranging

Why should it not be suggests as the term 'graphic design' is singular?

Last edited by broall on 27 May 2017, 21:51, edited 1 time in total.
Merged topic. Please search before posting question.

Kudos [?]: 107 [0], given: 113

2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 28 Jun 2009
Posts: 442

Kudos [?]: 190 [2], given: 46

Location: United States (MA)
Re: Though the term graphic design may suggest laying out [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jan 2012, 17:33
2
This post received
KUDOS
arps wrote:
Why should it not be suggests as the term 'graphic design' is singular?


Because of 'may'.

Ex. He may go. - correct

Even though subject is 'he', you will not say, 'He may goes'.

Kudos [?]: 190 [2], given: 46

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 18 Dec 2011
Posts: 107

Kudos [?]: 107 [0], given: 113

Re: Though the term graphic design may suggest laying out [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jan 2012, 19:59
Thanks a lot makes a lot of sense now

Kudos [?]: 107 [0], given: 113

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 22 Jan 2012
Posts: 88

Kudos [?]: 134 [1], given: 9

Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GPA: 3.3
WE: Engineering (Consulting)
Re: Though the term graphic design may suggest laying out [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jan 2012, 23:01
1
This post received
KUDOS
may suggest is the correct verb and
wide range of is the correct idiom

+1 kudos if U like this..
_________________

Press +1 Kudos rather than saying thanks
which is more helpful infact..

Ill be posting good questions as many as I can...

Towards Success

Kudos [?]: 134 [1], given: 9

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: I will not stop until i realise my goal which is my dream too
Joined: 25 Feb 2010
Posts: 225

Kudos [?]: 60 [1], given: 16

Schools: Johnson '15
Re: Though the term [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 May 2012, 07:06
1
This post received
KUDOS
Hang Tuah wrote:
Though the term "graphic design" may suggest laying out corporate brochures and annual reports, they have come to signify widely ranging work, from package designs and company logotypes to signs, book jackets, computer graphics, and film titles.

(A) suggest laying out corporate brochures and annual reports, they have come to signify widely ranging
(B) suggest laying out corporate brochures and annual reports, it has come to signify a wide range of
(C) suggest corporate brochure and annual report layout, it has signified a widely ranging
(D) have suggested corporate brochure and annual report layout, it has signified a wide range of
(E) has suggested laying out corporate brochures and annual reports, they have come to signify widely ranging


point to be noted...the term "graphic design" is singular

Also, the above statement is a fact and it has to be in simple present tense...

now have and has need not be there....hence D & E options are ruled out

so now coming to A, it has THEY HAVE COME..so knockoff this off...

so now we are left with B & C

the term would have come to signify something, not signified something... hence B is the CORRECT Answer
_________________

Regards,
Harsha

Note: Give me kudos if my approach is right , else help me understand where i am missing.. I want to bell the GMAT Cat ;)

Satyameva Jayate - Truth alone triumphs

Kudos [?]: 60 [1], given: 16

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 19 Oct 2011
Posts: 129

Kudos [?]: 450 [2], given: 33

Location: India
Re: Though the term [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 May 2012, 08:52
2
This post received
KUDOS
Hang Tuah wrote:
Though the term "graphic design" may suggest laying out corporate brochures and annual reports, they have come to signify widely ranging work, from package designs and company logotypes to signs, book jackets, computer graphics, and film titles.



Term is singular hence after comma, we need it not they. A, E are out.
Hence B is the correct option.

(A) suggest laying out corporate brochures and annual reports, they have come to signify widely ranging
(B) suggest laying out corporate brochures and annual reports, it has come to signify a wide range of
(C) suggest corporate brochure and annual report layout, it has signified a widely ranging: entire construction and meaning is awkward.
(D) have suggested corporate brochure and annual report layout, it has signified a wide range of
(E) has suggested laying out corporate brochures and annual reports, they have come to signify widely ranging
_________________

Encourage me by pressing the KUDOS if you find my post to be helpful.



Help me win "The One Thing You Wish You Knew - GMAT Club Contest"
http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-one-thing-you-wish-you-knew-gmat-club-contest-140358.html#p1130989


Last edited by dvinoth86 on 07 May 2012, 09:49, edited 1 time in total.

Kudos [?]: 450 [2], given: 33

Expert Post
13 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
User avatar
S
Joined: 02 Nov 2011
Posts: 2231

Kudos [?]: 8819 [13], given: 328

Re: Though the term [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 May 2012, 09:20
13
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
3
This post was
BOOKMARKED
agdimple333 wrote:
saxenashobhit wrote:
I agree with B. "Graphic Design" is singular and so we need it has. wide ranging is correct.

I am not clear on use of suggest in all sentences. Isn't "suggest" a plural verb which is incorrect for "graphic design".


i have the same Question, about 'suggest' - will someone who knows, explain it?


Hi there,

Though the term "graphic design" may suggest laying out corporate brochures and annual reports, they have come to signify widely ranging work, from package designs and company logotypes to signs, book jackets, computer graphics, and film titles.

Notice the word "may" before "suggest" that fall in the non-underlined portion of the sentence. With "may", "can", "will", we can only use "plural" verb. Hence, even if "term" is singular, because of presence of "may" the verb followed by it must be a plural verb. Hence, option E can be eliminated right away on this basis as use of singular "has" is incorrect after "may".

Here is the detailed solution of this question:

Image

Marker though suggests the sentence presents a contrast. “Graphic design” may be thought of as designing corporate brochures and annual reports. However, it encompasses a wide range of work including package design, company logotypes, signs, book jackets, computer graphics and film titles.

Image

• Pronoun error – plural “they” is a wrong referent for singular “term”.

POE:

Choice A: suggest laying out corporate brochures and annual reports, they have come to signify widely ranging: Incorrect for the reason stated above.

Choice B: suggest laying out corporate brochures and annual reports, it has come to signify a wide range of: Correct.

Choice C: suggest corporate brochure and annual report layout, it has signified a widely ranging: Incorrect.
a. Per the intended meaning, this term has come to signify or has evolved to signify all scopes of graphic design.
i. Intended meaning – Although term was meant to do X, it has now evolved to do A,B,C
b. Meaning per choice C – Although term was meant to describe X, it does A,B,C.
c. For example:
i. Per Choice A - Although Mark Z originally created facebook to communicate with his friends, it has evolved as the preferred medium for people worldwide to share their viewpoints.
ii. Per Choice D - Although Mark Z may have created facebook to communicate with his friends, it is the preferred medium for people worldwide to share their viewpoints.
d. Meaning has been changed by changing “has come to do X” to “does X”. This removes the intended meaning of “evolution”.

Choice D: have suggested corporate brochure and annual report layout, it has signified a wide range of: Incorrect. Similar meaning distortion error as in Choice C.

Choice E: has suggested laying out corporate brochures and annual reports, they have come to signify widely ranging: Incorrect. Use of singular "has" is incorrect after "may". Plural “they” is a wrong referent for singular “term”.

PS: This question is in OG Verbal Review 2 and answer choice E reads "have suggested..." unlike the answer choice E written by the original poster that reads "has suggested...".

Image

1. Pronouns must agree in number with their antecedents.
2. The correct answer should communicate the intended meaning.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Shraddha
_________________












| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Kudos [?]: 8819 [13], given: 328

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 15 Nov 2012
Posts: 7

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Though the term “graphic design” may suggest laying [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Nov 2012, 08:09
Though the term “graphic design” may suggest laying out corporate brochures and annual reports, they have come to signify widely ranging work, from package designs and company logotypes to signs, book jackets, computer graphics, and film titles.

(A) suggest laying out corporate brochures and annual reports, they have come to signify widely ranging
(B) suggest laying out corporate brochures and annual reports, it has come to signify a wide range of
(C) suggest corporate brochure and annual report layout, it has signified widely ranging
(D) have suggested corporate brochure and annual report layout, it has signified a wide range of
(E) have suggested laying out corporate brochures and annual reports, they have come to signify widely ranging

What does it mean by "it has come to signify..."? doesn't it sound wordy?

Last edited by broall on 27 May 2017, 21:51, edited 4 times in total.
Merged topic. Please search before posting question.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 20 Aug 2012
Posts: 68

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 5

Schools: Jones '15
Re: Though the term “graphic design” may suggest laying [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Nov 2012, 11:02
Though the term “graphic design” may suggest laying out corporate brochures andannual reports, they havecome to signify widely ranging work, from packagedesigns and company logotypes tosigns, book jackets, computer graphics, and film titles.

(A) suggest laying out corporate brochures andannual reports, they have come to signify widely ranging they vs. term - Subject verb agreememnt
(B) suggest laying outcorporate brochures andannual reports, it has come to signify a wide range of correct
(C) suggest corporate brochure and annual reportlayout, it has signified widely ranging tense error
(D) have suggested corporate brochure and annualreport layout, it has signified a wide range of may have suggested - wonky - should be might for simple past
(E) have suggested laying out corporate brochures and annual reports, they have come tosignify widely ranging same as D

it is true that it does sound wordy. but it is best of the choices given.

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 5

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
avatar
Status: Gonna rock this time!!!
Joined: 22 Jul 2012
Posts: 511

Kudos [?]: 71 [1], given: 562

Location: India
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 630 Q47 V29
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Re: Though the term [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2013, 20:11
1
This post received
KUDOS
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
egmat wrote:
agdimple333 wrote:
saxenashobhit wrote:
I agree with B. "Graphic Design" is singular and so we need it has. wide ranging is correct.

I am not clear on use of suggest in all sentences. Isn't "suggest" a plural verb which is incorrect for "graphic design".


i have the same Question, about 'suggest' - will someone who knows, explain it?


Hi there,

Though the term "graphic design" may suggest laying out corporate brochures and annual reports, they have come to signify widely ranging work, from package designs and company logotypes to signs, book jackets, computer graphics, and film titles.

Notice the word "may" before "suggest" that fall in the non-underlined portion of the sentence. With "may", "can", "will", we can only use "plural" verb. Hence, even if "term" is singular, because of presence of "may" the verb followed by it must be a plural verb. Hence, option E can be eliminated right away on this basis as use of singular "has" is incorrect after "may".

Here is the detailed solution of this question:

Image

Marker though suggests the sentence presents a contrast. “Graphic design” may be thought of as designing corporate brochures and annual reports. However, it encompasses a wide range of work including package design, company logotypes, signs, book jackets, computer graphics and film titles.

Image

• Pronoun error – plural “they” is a wrong referent for singular “term”.

POE:

Choice A: suggest laying out corporate brochures and annual reports, they have come to signify widely ranging: Incorrect for the reason stated above.

Choice B: suggest laying out corporate brochures and annual reports, it has come to signify a wide range of: Correct.

Choice C: suggest corporate brochure and annual report layout, it has signified a widely ranging: Incorrect.
a. Per the intended meaning, this term has come to signify or has evolved to signify all scopes of graphic design.
i. Intended meaning – Although term was meant to do X, it has now evolved to do A,B,C
b. Meaning per choice C – Although term was meant to describe X, it does A,B,C.
c. For example:
i. Per Choice A - Although Mark Z originally created facebook to communicate with his friends, it has evolved as the preferred medium for people worldwide to share their viewpoints.
ii. Per Choice D - Although Mark Z may have created facebook to communicate with his friends, it is the preferred medium for people worldwide to share their viewpoints.
d. Meaning has been changed by changing “has come to do X” to “does X”. This removes the intended meaning of “evolution”.

Choice D: have suggested corporate brochure and annual report layout, it has signified a wide range of: Incorrect. Similar meaning distortion error as in Choice C.

Choice E: has suggested laying out corporate brochures and annual reports, they have come to signify widely ranging: Incorrect. Use of singular "has" is incorrect after "may". Plural “they” is a wrong referent for singular “term”.

PS: This question is in OG Verbal Review 2 and answer choice E reads "have suggested..." unlike the answer choice E written by the original poster that reads "has suggested...".

Image

1. Pronouns must agree in number with their antecedents.
2. The correct answer should communicate the intended meaning.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Shraddha



Thanks the OG says that D is wrong because 'have suggested' does not agree with 'term' and this explanation of OG is clearly flawed..

I have problem with getting the intended meaning from the different tenses that are used. Not really sure how I should improve upon this...
_________________

hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies.

Who says you need a 700 ?Check this out : http://gmatclub.com/forum/who-says-you-need-a-149706.html#p1201595

My GMAT Journey : http://gmatclub.com/forum/end-of-my-gmat-journey-149328.html#p1197992

Kudos [?]: 71 [1], given: 562

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 15 Sep 2011
Posts: 359

Kudos [?]: 385 [0], given: 45

Location: United States
WE: Corporate Finance (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Though the term [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 May 2013, 16:42
(A) suggest laying out corporate brochures and annual reports, they have come to signify widely ranging "they" pronoun error; "widely ranging" is awkward and redundant

(B) suggest laying out corporate brochures and annual reports, it has come to signify a wide range of OK but a better sentence could exist

(C) suggest corporate brochure and annual report layout, it has signified a widely ranging - brochure seems separate from layout, so there is a definite change of meaning; "widely ranging" is awkward and redundant

(D) have suggested corporate brochure and annual report layout, it has signified a wide range of Verb tenses "have" and "has" signify that actions occurred in the past but effects are still present, changing the meaning of the sentence. It´s also not clear which action occurred first

(E) has suggested laying out corporate brochures and annual reports, they have come to signify widely ranging "they" is pronoun error; "widely ranging" is awkward and redundant

Kudos [?]: 385 [0], given: 45

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 25 Nov 2010
Posts: 13

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 2

Re: Though the term [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 May 2013, 18:30
And why the word "Work" is also underlined?

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 2

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 05 Mar 2013
Posts: 45

Kudos [?]: 68 [1], given: 14

Location: India
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GMAT Date: 06-05-2013
GPA: 3.2
Re: Though the term [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 May 2013, 19:22
1
This post received
KUDOS
My answer is B..

They is plural so it cannot be used. A and E are out.

C,D refer to the layout..Laying out corporate brochers is different from Corporate brochure and report layout.They both have different meanings.Layout out refers to planning and construction.Brochure layout refers to the format of the brochure
_________________

"Kudos" will help me a lot!!!!!!Please donate some!!!

Completed
Official Quant Review
OG - Quant


In Progress
Official Verbal Review
OG 13th ed
MGMAT IR
AWA Structure

Yet to do
100 700+ SC questions
MR Verbal
MR Quant


Verbal is a ghost. Cant find head and tail of it.

Kudos [?]: 68 [1], given: 14

Re: Though the term   [#permalink] 08 May 2013, 19:22

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4    Next  [ 80 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

Though the term

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.