Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 00:56 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:56

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2527 [63]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [11]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 242 [8]
Given Kudos: 15
 Q49  V41
Send PM
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [4]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Re: Three out of every four automobile owners in the United States also ow [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-
vaivish1723 wrote:
Three out of every four automobile owners in the United States also own a bicycle.

(A) Three out of every four automobile owners in the United States also own a bicycle.

(B) Out of every four, three automobile owners in the United States also owns a bicycle.

(C) Bicycles are owned by three out of every four owners of automobiles in the United States.

(D) In the United States, three out of every four automobile owners owns bicycles.

(E) Out of every four owners of automobiles in the United States, bicycles are also owned by three.

Meaning is crucial to solving this problem:
Understanding the intended meaning is key to solving this question; the intended meaning of this sentence is that three out of every four automobile owners in the United States own a bicycle, in addition to owning an automobile.

Concepts tested here: Subject-Verb Agreement + Meaning + Awkwardness/Redundancy

A: Correct. This answer choice correctly refers to the plural noun “owners” with the plural verb “own”. Further, Option A uses the phrase “also own a bicycle”, conveying the intended meaning – that three out of every four automobile owners in the United States own a single bicycle, specifically, in addition to owning an automobile. Additionally, Option A is free of any awkwardness or redundancy.

B: This answer choice incorrectly refers to the plural noun “owners” with the singular verb “owns”. Further, Option B uses the passive construction “Out of every four, three automobile owners”, rendering it needlessly indirect.

C: This answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase “are owned”; the omission of the word “also” incorrectly conveys only that three out of every four automobile owners in the United States own a bicycle; the intended meaning is that three out of every four automobile owners in the United States own a bicycle, specifically, in addition to owning an automobile. Further, Option C uses the passive construction “Bicycles are owned by”, rendering it awkward and redundant.

D: This answer choice incorrectly refers to the plural noun “owners” with the singular verb “owns”. Further, Option D alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase “owns bicycles”; the omission of the word “also” and the plural noun "bicycles" incorrectly convey only that three out of every four automobile owners in the United States own multiple bicycles; the intended meaning is that three out of every four automobile owners in the United States own a single bicycle, specifically, in addition to owning an automobile.

E: This answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the word "bicycles"; the use of the plural noun incorrectly implies that three out of every four automobile owners in the United States own multiple bicycles; the intended meaning is that three out of every four automobile owners in the United States own a single bicycle, in addition to owning an automobile. Further, Option E uses the passive construction “bicycles are also owned by”, rendering it awkward and redundant.

Hence, A is the best answer choice.

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [4]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT Date: 05-21-2012
WE:Research (Human Resources)
Send PM
Three out of every four automobile owners in the United States also ow [#permalink]
Kudos
Three out of every four automobile owners in the United States also own a bicycle.

(A) Three out of every four automobile owners in the United States also own a bicycle.
(B) Out of every four, three automobile owners in the United States also owns a bicycle.
(C) Bicycles are owned by three out of every four owners of automobiles in the United States.
(D) In the United States, three out of every four automobile owners owns bicycles.
(E) Out of every four owners of automobiles in the United States, bicycles are also owned by three.

The OA is A but how can "three" automobile owners also own "a" bicycle? C seems to be the best answer even if it's in passive voice.

Would appreciate your help on this.

Thanks,
Yash
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 264 [1]
Given Kudos: 100
GPA: 4
Send PM
Re: Three out of every four automobile owners in the United States also ow [#permalink]
Kudos
PiyushK wrote:
NEW PROJECT!: Back to basic => Give your explanation- Get Kudos Point for best explanation

A. Three out of every four automobile owners in the United States also own a bicycle.
B. Out of every four, three automobile owners in the United States also owns a bicycle.
C. Bicycles are owned by three out of every four owners of automobiles in the United States.
D. In the United States, three out of every four automobile owners owns bicycles.
E. Out of every four owners of automobiles in the United States, bicycles are also owned by three.

Let me try for that Kudo :-D

IMO A
A. Correct subject-verb agreement; '3 automobile owners' correctly goes with plural verb form 'own'; sentence construction looks logical;
B. Incorrect subject-verb agreement; '3 automobile owners' incorrectly goes with singular verb form 'owns';
C. Incorrect; Usage of less preferred Passive Voice; Rather than making a generic statement like 'Three out of every four automobile owners...', this option makes a specific statement ' three out of every four owners of automobiles';
D. Incorrect; same subject-verb problem as that of B;
E. Incorrect modifier; modifier 'Out of every four owners of automobiles in the United States' incorrectly modifies bicycles;
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
This reminds me of another officially correct answer that often creates confusion:

Neanderthals had a vocal tract resembling an ape's and so were probably without language, a shortcoming that may explain why they were supplanted by our own species.

Again, this sentence does not imply that all Neanderthals just shared one vocal tract.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 448 [0]
Given Kudos: 147
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
Send PM
AmoyV wrote:
Okay quick question. I eliminated A based on the logic that 3 owners will not own a single bicycle. So we should be looking for a plural bicycles for 3 out of 4 automobile owners. I picked C inspite of the passive and awkward construction primarily because it uses the plural bicycles for 3 automobile owners.

Can someone point out where I am going wrong?

"3 out of every 4 owners own a bicycle" means they individually own a bicycle. Anyways this is a non-issue here. There are other glaring problems in the other problems as pointed out by the posters above. I found following two news article in which you can find similar usage. Just search for "own a" in the articles.

https://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/che ... 994943.ece
https://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/mobi ... m0nti.html

Also go through a very detailed explanation by Ron here:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forum ... 25273.html
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 421 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Send PM
Three out of every four automobile owners in the United States also ow [#permalink]

A) Three out of every four automobile owners in the United States also own a bicycle.
B) Out of every four, three automobile owners in the United States also owns a bicycle.
C) Bicycles are owned by three out of every four owners of automobiles in the United States.
D) In the United States, three out of every four automobile owners owns bicycles.
E) Out of every four owners of automobiles in the United States, bicycles are also owned by three.

I was doubting between A and C.

I discarded A because of the "also own" (I considered "also" unnecessary) and chose C despite the passive form is not desirable.

Your opinion will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31898 [8]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
EBITDA wrote:

A) Three out of every four automobile owners in the United States also own a bicycle.
B) Out of every four, three automobile owners in the United States also owns a bicycle.
C) Bicycles are owned by three out of every four owners of automobiles in the United States.
D) In the United States, three out of every four automobile owners owns bicycles.
E) Out of every four owners of automobiles in the United States, bicycles are also owned by three.

I was doubting between A and C.

I discarded A because of the "also own" (I considered "also" unnecessary) and chose C despite the passive form is not desirable.

Your opinion will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Hi,

The problem between A and C is not only active/passive voice but also meaning issue..

what does the sentence mean...
3 out of 4 automobile owners own bicyle also...
Also is required to tell you that they have automobiles and in addition to that they also have bicycles...
so ALSO is required and is not redundant...

this meaning is changed in C
somehow now it can also convey that bicycles are owned by these 3 out of 4 automobile owners and not owned by people not having automobile..

This ambiguity is not there in A
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
The error I found is that "in the united states" should modify owners but in C and D it can actually modify either "owners" or "automobiles". Is my thinking correct. Please assist.
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [1]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
pentek123456 wrote:
The error I found is that "in the united states" should modify owners but in C and D it can actually modify either "owners" or "automobiles". Is my thinking correct. Please assist.

Not really, "in the United States" need not necessarily be a noun modifier. In C and D you may consider "in the United States" a verb modifier referring to the verb "owns" (meaning: the fact mentioned in the clause happens in the United States). Hence the reason you stated cannot be used to eliminate C and D. Compare with the following:

Barack lives in the United States.... here "in the United States" refers to the verb"lives" (not the noun "Barack").
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8808 [5]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos