It is currently 21 Sep 2017, 18:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Tiger sharks are common in the waters surrounding Tenare

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

4 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 20 Jun 2005
Posts: 146

Kudos [?]: 165 [4], given: 0

Tiger sharks are common in the waters surrounding Tenare [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Sep 2007, 03:28
4
This post received
KUDOS
11
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  45% (medium)

Question Stats:

67% (01:08) correct 33% (01:39) wrong based on 829 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Tiger sharks are common in the waters surrounding Tenare Island. Usually tiger sharks feed on smaller sharks, but sometimes they have attacked tourists swimming and surfing at Tenare\'s beaches. This has hurt Tenare\'s tourism industry, which is second only to its fishing industry in annual revenues. In order to help the economy, therefore, the mayor of the island has proposed an ongoing program to kill any tiger sharks within a mile of the beaches.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly calls into question the likelihood that implementation of the mayor\'s proposal will have the desired consequence?

A. Even if not all the tiger sharks that come close to the beaches are killed, the existence of the program would reassure tourists.

B. Business owners who depend on tourism are willing to pay most of the cost of implementing the program.

C. Tourists come to Tenare Island for its beaches, even though the island features a number of other tourist attractions.

D.The small sharks on which tiger sharks prey feed on fish that are commercially important to the island\'s fisheries.

E. Not all tourists who come to Tenare Island enjoy swimming or surfing.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Kudos [?]: 165 [4], given: 0

5 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 07 Jul 2007
Posts: 123

Kudos [?]: 14 [5], given: 0

Re: Tiger sharks are common in the waters surrounding Tenare [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Sep 2007, 05:38
5
This post received
KUDOS
I will pick D here.
Becasue this the only one which weakens Mayor's desired outcome i.e. to help the economy.

Tiger sharks feed on smaller sharks, which in turn feed on the fish. So if tiger sharks are elimninated then smaller sharks will increase in numbers and in tun will eat more of the fish. As fishing in number one industry so it will hurt economoy more.

Kudos [?]: 14 [5], given: 0

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 04 Jul 2007
Posts: 42

Kudos [?]: 4 [1], given: 0

Re: Tiger sharks are common in the waters surrounding Tenare [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Sep 2007, 08:55
1
This post received
KUDOS
D it is

Kudos [?]: 4 [1], given: 0

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 25 Jul 2007
Posts: 65

Kudos [?]: 9 [1], given: 0

Re: Tiger sharks are common in the waters surrounding Tenare [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Sep 2007, 13:08
1
This post received
KUDOS
should b e D

Kudos [?]: 9 [1], given: 0

3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 07 Dec 2011
Posts: 120

Kudos [?]: 540 [3], given: 116

Location: India
Concentration: International Business, Strategy
GMAT Date: 07-30-2012
GPA: 2.66
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Tiger sharks are common in the waters surrounding Tenare [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2012, 16:43
3
This post received
KUDOS
5
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Tiger sharks are common in the waters surrounding Tenare Island. Usually tiger sharks feed on smaller sharks, but sometimes they have attacked tourists swimming and surfing at Tenare's beaches. This has hurt Tenare's tourism industry, which is second only to its fishing industry in annual revenues. In order to help the economy, therefore, the mayor of the island has proposed an ongoing program to kill any tiger sharks within a mile of the beaches.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly calls into question the likelihood that implementation of the mayor's proposal will have the desired consequence?

(A) Even if not all the tiger sharks that come close to the beaches are killed, the existence of the program would reassure tourists.
(B) Business owners who depend on tourism are willing to pay most of the cost of implementing the program.
(C) Tourists come to Tenare Island for its beaches, even though the island features a number of other tourist attractions.
(D) The small sharks on which tiger sharks prey feed on fish that are commercially important to the island's fisheries.
(E) Not all tourists who come to Tenare Island enjoy swimming or surfing.

Quote:
how do small sharks come in picture to cast doubts on whether Mayor's strategy will work or not.
All that the Mayor is stating is killing of Tiger sharks and not small sharks. I marked E and its wrong.
Can somebody guide me?

_________________

Please press Kudos if you found this post helpful

Kudos [?]: 540 [3], given: 116

6 KUDOS received
Director
Director
User avatar
Status: Final Countdown
Joined: 17 Mar 2010
Posts: 537

Kudos [?]: 349 [6], given: 75

Location: India
GPA: 3.82
WE: Account Management (Retail Banking)
Re: Tiger sharks are common [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2012, 16:59
6
This post received
KUDOS
maybeam wrote:
Tiger sharks are common in the waters surrounding Tenare Island. Usually tiger sharks feed on smaller sharks, but sometimes they have attacked tourists swimming and surfing at Tenare's beaches. This has hurt Tenare's tourism industry, which is second only to its fishing industry in annual revenues. In order to help the economy, therefore, the mayor of the island has proposed an ongoing program to kill any tiger sharks within a mile of the beaches.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly calls into question the likelihood that implementation of the mayor's proposal will have the desired consequence?

(A) Even if not all the tiger sharks that come close to the beaches are killed, the existence of the program would reassure tourists.
(B) Business owners who depend on tourism are willing to pay most of the cost of implementing the program.
(C) Tourists come to Tenare Island for its beaches, even though the island features a number of other tourist attractions.
(D) The small sharks on which tiger sharks prey feed on fish that are commercially important to the island's fisheries.
(E) Not all tourists who come to Tenare Island enjoy swimming or surfing.

Quote:
how do small sharks come in picture to cast doubts on whether Mayor's strategy will work or not.
All that the Mayor is stating is killing of Tiger sharks and not small sharks. I marked E and its wrong.

Can somebody guide me?



Very tricky,

(D) The small sharks on which tiger sharks prey feed on fish that are commercially important to the island's fisheries.

small shark...feed on fish (small shark eats small fishes)

when tiger sharks will be killed then the number of small sharks will increase then these small sharks will eat the small fishes ,which are commercially important to generate revenue.
_________________

" Make more efforts "
Press Kudos if you liked my post

Kudos [?]: 349 [6], given: 75

4 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 26 May 2012
Posts: 25

Kudos [?]: 16 [4], given: 10

Re: Tiger sharks are common [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2012, 22:15
4
This post received
KUDOS
If we rewrite this stimulus, then it may be .

Tiger sharks Usually feed on smaller sharks and sometimes attack tourists -when tourists swim at Tenare's beaches. This "attack" hurts Tenare's tourism industry that is second annual revenue producing source in relation to fishing industry. To help the economy, therefore, the mayor offered a program to kill any tiger sharks within a mile of swimming areas of the beaches.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly calls into question the likelihood that implementation of the mayor's proposal will have the desired consequence?

For which of the following, mayor's program may not be better suited for helping economy or increasing revenue?

As per my understanding in weakening question ,action is firstly to find the alternative-----show the relationship is reverse- and------secondly to prove the coclusion is not tenable.

however, here you can use any of them, because you have to show that the program will not bring intended result in helping economy by increasing revenue.

(A) Even if not all the tiger sharks that come close to the beaches are killed, the existence of the program would reassure tourists.----here this support the argument. because this ensures the potential tourists advent, thereby causing huge revenue. this show that the mayor program still best suited for its achieving goal-to increase revenues.
(B) Business owners who depend on tourism are willing to pay most of the cost of implementing the program. who will bear the cost of the program is not our concern. but the concern is to whether the program will be successful for achieving revenue or not.though it indirectly support the argument, it does not tell the success of the program.
(C) Tourists come to Tenare Island for its beaches, even though the island features a number of other tourist attractions. it may be that the main tourist attractions are to swimming and surfing in Tenare beaches rather than Tenare Island attracting features. this event produces huge revenue, but tiger shark causes hurt these tourists, tourists will not come again and dispense a dire feelings among potential roamers. this will hurt revenue, so this program must be implement for certaining the economy from the losses. this is strenthening the argument not weakening the argument. but if you say, this option is irrelevant, i will not absolutely disagree with you......
(D) The small sharks on which tiger sharks prey feed on fish that are commercially important to the island's fisheries.
(E) Not all tourists who come to Tenare Island enjoy swimming or surfing. this entails some possibilty for some tourists to be attacked by the tiger sharks if they swim in the beaches.-----what the stimulus says ----but sometimes they have attacked tourists swimming and surfing at Tenare's beaches.----------it says tourists swimming and surfing, here swimming and surfing modifies the tourists who are in the beaches for tiger shark's reach. so you can not attack the argument by the same line from the stimulus. and it also true that if some of tourists be attacked by the tiger sharks, other tourists will not be motivated to visit this beaches, i think they will disseminate the bad experience from the beaches to their close one or potential visitors to the beaches.



in D what it says ? our concern is to weaken the program that will not bring intended result in increasing revenues, ok?
D says----
tiger shaks feed small shark
small shark feed fish
fish are first revenue producing industry in Tenare
: if the program be succeed , then small sharks will easily feed on the fish that is 1st revenues generating sector in the beaches, causing negative impact on the economy
: if the program is not be succeeded , the small sharks will be reduced in number and feed on fish,this event will increase the fish and revenue for tenare.

be care when reading a sentence having modifiers...........i will also appear for the exam same date to your

Last edited by heygmat on 14 Jul 2012, 22:28, edited 2 times in total.

Kudos [?]: 16 [4], given: 10

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: Juggg..Jugggg Go!
Joined: 11 May 2012
Posts: 243

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 239

Location: India
GC Meter: A.W.E.S.O.M.E
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 620 Q46 V30
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V38
Reviews Badge
Re: Tiger sharks are common [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2012, 00:16
Opps i got this wrong. I chose E. I didnt understand D at first, i thought Tiger Sharks are feeding small sharks, with careful reading found out, it is not so!

My take away from HeyGMAT's Explanation - To be careful while choosing options with some,not many, a few sort of wordings. This one is going to my exception list! +1 to you HeyGMAT!
_________________

You haven't failed, if you haven't given up!
---
bschooladmit
Visit my Blog www.bschooladmit.wordpress.com

Check out my other posts:
Bschool Deadlines 2013-2014 | Bschool Admission Events 2013 Start your GMAT Prep with Stacey Koprince | Get a head start in MBA finance

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 239

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 26 May 2012
Posts: 25

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 10

Re: Tiger sharks are common [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2012, 01:38
[quote="asax"]Opps i got this wrong. I chose E. I didnt understand D at first, i thought Tiger Sharks are feeding small sharks, with careful reading found out, it is not so!

My take away from HeyGMAT's Explanation - To be careful while choosing options with some,not many, a few sort of wordings. This one is going to my exception list! +1 to you HeyGMAT!



thanks for recalling adverb but dire word choices----some, none, all,most............

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 10

Moderator
Moderator
User avatar
G
Joined: 01 Sep 2010
Posts: 3348

Kudos [?]: 8743 [0], given: 1138

Re: Tiger sharks are common [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2012, 03:16
Sometimes we tend to overcalculate and drag the water. on GMAT test stay focus, first of all, on WHAT we are looking for

here is a weakening question. Sharks haven't got kill.

Conclusion: In order to help the economy, therefore, the mayor of the island has proposed an ongoing program to kill any tiger sharks within a mile of the beaches.

Economy rely on fishing, sharks are useful for fishing. That's it. D it is..............50 seconds
_________________

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS AND RESOURCES
Quant: 1. ALL GMATPrep questions Quant/Verbal 2. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 3. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 4. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version 5. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Quant Videos
Verbal:1. Verbal question bank and directories by Carcass 2. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Verbal Videos 3. Critical Reasoning_Oldy but goldy question banks 4. Sentence Correction_Oldy but goldy question banks 5. Reading-comprehension_Oldy but goldy question banks

Kudos [?]: 8743 [0], given: 1138

BSchool Forum Moderator
User avatar
Status: Flying over the cloud!
Joined: 17 Aug 2011
Posts: 895

Kudos [?]: 708 [0], given: 44

Location: Viet Nam
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Tiger sharks are common [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2012, 10:52
maybeam wrote:
Tiger sharks are common in the waters surrounding Tenare Island. Usually tiger sharks feed on smaller sharks, but sometimes they have attacked tourists swimming and surfing at Tenare's beaches. This has hurt Tenare's tourism industry, which is second only to its fishing industry in annual revenues. In order to help the economy, therefore, the mayor of the island has proposed an ongoing program to kill any tiger sharks within a mile of the beaches.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly calls into question the likelihood that implementation of the mayor's proposal will have the desired consequence?

(D) The small sharks on which tiger sharks prey feed on fish that are commercially important to the island's fisheries.

Quote:
how do small sharks come in picture to cast doubts on whether Mayor's strategy will work or not.
All that the Mayor is stating is killing of Tiger sharks and not small sharks. I marked E and its wrong.
Can somebody guide me?

The Tenare Island is famous because of 2 things:

- Beaches where the tourists go swimming and surfing
- Fishing activities here

If the tiger sharks did not existed near the beaches, this species would not control the smaller sharks, the main hunter of fish that is important factor to attract tourism.

So, the conclusion (Killing the tiger sharks to help the economy) will be collapsed.
_________________

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Kudos [?]: 708 [0], given: 44

VP
VP
User avatar
Status: Been a long time guys...
Joined: 03 Feb 2011
Posts: 1381

Kudos [?]: 1634 [0], given: 62

Location: United States (NY)
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Tiger sharks are common [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2012, 00:29
carcass wrote:
Sometimes we tend to overcalculate and drag the water. on GMAT test stay focus, first of all, on WHAT we are looking for

here is a weakening question. Sharks haven't got kill.

Conclusion: In order to help the economy, therefore, the mayor of the island has proposed an ongoing program to kill any tiger sharks within a mile of the beaches.

Economy rely on fishing, sharks are useful for fishing. That's it. D it is..............50 seconds


Hii Carcass, can you please elaborate your explanation.
Need explanation on blue shaded portion. How did you deduce that sharks are useful for fishing?

Anyways here is my take:
Tiger shark feed on smaller sharks. These smaller sharks feed on small fishes. These fishes contribute a lot to the economy.
If Tiger sharks are killed, then the # of smaller sharks will increase. As their numbers increase, more and more small fishes will be eaten by these sharks. Since the # of fishes will reduce, then it will impact the economy.
_________________

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Kudos [?]: 1634 [0], given: 62

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Status: getting there
Joined: 23 Dec 2012
Posts: 37

Kudos [?]: 18 [1], given: 131

Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Tuck '16
Re: Tiger sharks are common [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Dec 2012, 16:28
1
This post received
KUDOS
Marcab wrote:
carcass wrote:
Sometimes we tend to overcalculate and drag the water. on GMAT test stay focus, first of all, on WHAT we are looking for

here is a weakening question. Sharks haven't got kill.

Conclusion: In order to help the economy, therefore, the mayor of the island has proposed an ongoing program to kill any tiger sharks within a mile of the beaches.

Economy rely on fishing, sharks are useful for fishing. That's it. D it is..............50 seconds


Hii Carcass, can you please elaborate your explanation.
Need explanation on blue shaded portion. How did you deduce that sharks are useful for fishing?

Anyways here is my take:
Tiger shark feed on smaller sharks. These smaller sharks feed on small fishes. These fishes contribute a lot to the economy.
If Tiger sharks are killed, then the # of smaller sharks will increase. As their numbers increase, more and more small fishes will be eaten by these sharks. Since the # of fishes will reduce, then it will impact the economy.


yes thts the correct reasoning as stated above TS--Small sharks--fish and the whole pt of theplan was to help the economy which is dependent on fishing.
so less fish=bad economy=plan fails
_________________

impossible is nothing

Kudos [?]: 18 [1], given: 131

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Posts: 10170

Kudos [?]: 253 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Tiger sharks are common in the waters surrounding Tenare [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 May 2014, 20:25
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 253 [0], given: 0

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Posts: 10170

Kudos [?]: 253 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Tiger sharks are common in the waters surrounding Tenare [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2014, 09:44
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 253 [0], given: 0

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 28 Oct 2013
Posts: 8

Kudos [?]: 1 [1], given: 0

Re: Tiger sharks are common in the waters surrounding Tenare [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 May 2014, 19:34
1
This post received
KUDOS
Hi,

I see a different answer for this question in GMATPREP COMPREHENSIVE CR. Can any one help with that

Kudos [?]: 1 [1], given: 0

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
G
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 7612

Kudos [?]: 16910 [1], given: 230

Location: Pune, India
Re: Tiger sharks are common in the waters surrounding Tenare [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 May 2014, 21:00
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
pi10t wrote:
Tiger sharks are common in the waters surrounding Tenare Island. Usually tiger sharks feed on smaller sharks, but sometimes they have attacked tourists swimming and surfing at Tenare\'s beaches. This has hurt Tenare\'s tourism industry, which is second only to its fishing industry in annual revenues. In order to help the economy, therefore, the mayor of the island has proposed an ongoing program to kill any tiger sharks within a mile of the beaches.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly calls into question the likelihood that implementation of the mayor\'s proposal will have the desired consequence?

A. Even if not all the tiger sharks that come close to the beaches are killed, the existence of the program would reassure tourists.

B. Business owners who depend on tourism are willing to pay most of the cost of implementing the program.

C. Tourists come to Tenare Island for its beaches, even though the island features a number of other tourist attractions.

D.The small sharks on which tiger sharks prey feed on fish that are commercially important to the island\'s fisheries.

E. Not all tourists who come to Tenare Island enjoy swimming or surfing.


Answer is (D) only.

This is a weaken question. There is a plan - to help the economy, kill tiger sharks within a mile of the beaches.

We have to weaken it i.e. we have to prove that killing the tiger sharks will not help the economy.

The argument tells us the following:
Tiger sharks feed on smaller sharks but sometimes attack tourists.
Tenare's fishing industry provides most revenues and tourism industry is second.

A. Even if not all the tiger sharks that come close to the beaches are killed, the existence of the program would reassure tourists.
This doesn't weaken our plan, it actually strengthens it. Tourists will get reassured and will come back. Economy will be helped.

B. Business owners who depend on tourism are willing to pay most of the cost of implementing the program.
Again, if anything, it strengthens our plan (very slightly though!). The cost of the program will not be paid by the govt and hence the revenues generated will not be lost on implementing the program. So economy will be helped.

C. Tourists come to Tenare Island for its beaches, even though the island features a number of other tourist attractions.
Irrelevant

D.The small sharks on which tiger sharks prey feed on fish that are commercially important to the island\'s fisheries.
If tiger sharks are killed, small sharks will prosper which means the number of fish they feed on will decrease. Since this fish is commercially important, if their availability reduces, the revenues from fishing may reduce. Hence, actually, the economy may not be helped. This weakens our plan.

E. Not all tourists who come to Tenare Island enjoy swimming or surfing.
Irrelevant.

Answer (D)
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Get started with Veritas Prep GMAT On Demand for $199

Veritas Prep Reviews

Kudos [?]: 16910 [1], given: 230

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
User avatar
P
Joined: 19 Mar 2012
Posts: 4196

Kudos [?]: 16245 [0], given: 1953

Location: India
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Tiger sharks are common in the waters surrounding [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Nov 2014, 21:38
Expert's post
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Tiger sharks are common in the waters surrounding Tenare Island. Usually tiger sharks feed on smaller sharks, but sometimes they have attacked tourists swimming and surfing at Tenare's beaches. This has hurt Tenare's tourism industry, which is second only to its fishing industry in annual revenues. In order to help the economy, therefore, the mayor of the island has proposed an ongoing program to kill any tiger sharks within a mile of the beaches. Which of the following, if true, most strongly calls into question the likelihood that implementation of the mayor's proposal will have the desired consequence?

A. Even if not all the tiger sharks that come close to the beaches are killed, the existence of the program would reassure tourists.

B. Business owners who depend on tourism are willing to pay most of the cost of implementing the program.

C. Tourists come to Tenare Island for its beaches, even though the island features a number of other tourist attractions.

D. The small sharks on which tiger sharks prey feed on fish that are commercially important to the island's fisheries.

E. Not all tourists who come to Tenare Island enjoy swimming or surfing.
_________________

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Kudos [?]: 16245 [0], given: 1953

Intern
Intern
User avatar
Status: Amat Victoria Curam
Joined: 13 Sep 2014
Posts: 27

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 4

Location: India
Re: Tiger sharks are common in the waters surrounding [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Nov 2014, 23:57
Treating this as a weakening question.
A. Even if not all the tiger sharks that come close to the beaches are killed, the existence of the program would reassure tourists. – Strengthens the argument

B. Business owners who depend on tourism are willing to pay most of the cost of implementing the program. - Irrelevant

C. Tourists come to Tenare Island for its beaches, even though the island features a number of other tourist attractions. – Strengthens the argument, tourists will benefit from the plan

D. The small sharks on which tiger sharks prey feed on fish that are commercially important to the island's fisheries. The fishing economy will suffer if the tiger sharks are removed. Hence this seems the correct answer

E. Not all tourists who come to Tenare Island enjoy swimming or surfing. Strengthens the argument , Means some tourists (who Island enjoy swimming or surfing) might return if they were indeed scared of the sharks


New here, please correct me if i'm wrong. Thanks!!

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 4

Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: Manager
Affiliations: Manager
Joined: 06 Nov 2012
Posts: 168

Kudos [?]: 88 [0], given: 111

Location: India
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Sustainability
Schools: Boston U '19 (D)
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q49 V33
GPA: 3
WE: Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
Re: Tiger sharks are common in the waters surrounding [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2014, 04:43
Tiger sharks are common in the waters surrounding Tenare Island. Usually tiger sharks feed on smaller sharks, but sometimes they have attacked tourists swimming and surfing at Tenare's beaches. This has hurt Tenare's tourism industry, which is second only to its fishing industry in annual revenues. In order to help the economy, therefore, the mayor of the island has proposed an ongoing program to kill any tiger sharks within a mile of the beaches. Which of the following, if true, most strongly calls into question the likelihood that implementation of the mayor's proposal will have the desired consequence?

Weakener

A. Even if not all the tiger sharks that come close to the beaches are killed, the existence of the program would reassure tourists - Somehow strengthening the proposal

B. Business owners who depend on tourism are willing to pay most of the cost of implementing the program - Irrelevant.

C. Tourists come to Tenare Island for its beaches, even though the island features a number of other tourist attractions - Tourists come for beaches mainly-already stated.

D. The small sharks on which tiger sharks prey feed on fish that are commercially important to the island's fisheries - Correct. If no. of tiger sharks decreases then no. of small sharks will increase which further decrease the no. of commercially important fish available for fisheries and hence will impact the economy.

E. Not all tourists who come to Tenare Island enjoy swimming or surfing - OFS.
_________________

Hard-work, Perseverance and Commitment.....

Kudos [?]: 88 [0], given: 111

Re: Tiger sharks are common in the waters surrounding   [#permalink] 28 Nov 2014, 04:43

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 34 posts ] 

    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
2 For the violence in Kirkenberg to be stopped, the majority of surround hazelnut 1 07 Apr 2017, 22:43
13 EXPERTS_POSTS_IN_THIS_TOPIC After the recent court rulings, commercial shark fishing and joshnsit 13 20 Aug 2016, 22:14
17 EXPERTS_POSTS_IN_THIS_TOPIC Commercial shark fishing and shark hunting will resume in Diamond Bay tuanquang269 20 20 Jun 2017, 02:26
6 Biologist: Lions and tigers are aurobindomahanty 2 05 May 2017, 10:08
2 Unless tiger hunting decreases,tigers will soon be extinct piyushksharma 3 13 Apr 2012, 01:47
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Tiger sharks are common in the waters surrounding Tenare

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.