GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 24 Aug 2019, 00:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Time management techniques have regularly been used to improve

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Manager
Manager
S
Time management techniques have regularly been used to improve  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 03 Jul 2019, 03:40
Hi experts,

I would be more than happy if you could help me with this question. I cannot make myself think that there is a paradox in this question. Please, could you check my reasoning? I think that there is NO paradox in this question.

Let’s picture similar situation. Let our current GMAT score be 650. Suppose that we are going to improve our score by taking online courses from e-gmat because practicing with e-gmat proved 70 point improvement. In order to identify our weakest section (SC, CR, RC, or whichever) and corresponding e-gmat course we need, we will take GMAT Prep test. The test shows that we lack in CR. Finally, we begin to take e-gmat CR course and learn their popular pre-thinking technique for greater accuracy. HOWEVER, when we take GMAT upon completion of the course, we witness that our percentile in CR worsened rather than improved (counter to our expectation!) That is a PARADOX because we did not expect e-gmat to worsen our CR score!

Picture the same scenario but with different ending. We currently have 650. We are choosing among e-gmat courses. We took GMAT Prep test to identify our weakest section so that we know which e-gmat course to take. When GMAT Prep test is over the screen shows 620. Is it a paradox? Not at all! Did we expect GMAT Prep test to improve or not worsen our score? Not! Nobody said that GMAT Prep test would improve our score. That is e-gmat course what is said to improve our score. Thus we don’t have any expectation yet because we haven’t taken e-gmat course yet. It is NOT a paradox if our score drops during GMAT Prep test! (that was not counter to our expectation)

Similarly, in our question, we want to improve the productivity of our employees. Better sequencing is said to boost the proclivity level. In order to identify how to sequence the work better, we first use a time-tracking software (as we used GMAT Prep test in our above example). When the software was enforced the productivity level dropped. Is it a paradox? I am sure NOT. Nobody said that the software itself would improve or not worsen our score. That is better sequencing what is said to improve the productivity level. Thus we don’t have any expectation yet because we haven’t better sequenced the work yet. There is nothing counter to our expectation and thus NO paradox to explain here.

Originally posted by JonShukhrat on 02 Jul 2019, 07:44.
Last edited by JonShukhrat on 03 Jul 2019, 03:40, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
S
CAT Tests
Re: Time management techniques have regularly been used to improve  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jul 2019, 07:53
Ans-E

A. To attain maximum benefit from time tracking software, companies need to adapt their work processes to allow for time-based work assignment.
(Not addressing Y efficiency has gone down)

B. The highest improvement in efficiency has been recorded in the R&D department – a department that has the fewest employees in the company.
(Addressing improvement and not fall)

C. Prior to the implementation of the time-tracking software, employees at Morigo Inc. had a better than industry standards efficiency.
(We are not concerned with prior status)

D. In many cases, a drop-in employees’ productivity levels occurs when unplanned activities arise.
(We do not know whether unplanned activity has actually increased or not)

E. Increased stress levels due to the perception that their work is being monitored closely has led to a drop in employees’ efficiency levels post the implementation of the time-tracking system.
(Correct: Addressing the right area- Monitoring led to Increased stress levels led to fall in efficiency)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
D
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V30
GPA: 3.97
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Re: Time management techniques have regularly been used to improve  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jul 2019, 07:58
Time management techniques have regularly been used to improve employee productivity in many organizations. Identifying the time of the day when employees are more efficient helps the management better sequence the work during the week to maximize the productivity throughout the organization. However, when Morigo Inc. enforced a time-tracking software with this intent, it observed a sharp decline in the efficiency levels throughout the organization.

Which of the following, if true, most helps to explain the paradox presented in the passage?

A. To attain maximum benefit from time tracking software, companies need to adapt their work processes to allow for time-based work assignment- out of context

B. The highest improvement in efficiency has been recorded in the R&D department – a department that has the fewest employees in the company.-this suggest that fewer the employees the higher the efficiency. doesn't make sense

C. Prior to the implementation of the time-tracking software, employees at Morigo Inc. had a better than industry standards efficiency.-Even so, it can be made even better with implementing the above mentioned strategy, doesn't explain why it failed

D. In many cases, a drop-in employees’ productivity levels occurs when unplanned activities arise.- Out of scope. Irrelevant.

E. Increased stress levels due to the perception that their work is being monitored closely has led to a drop in employees’ efficiency levels post the implementation of the time-tracking system.- Yes, the correct answer. explains why the strategy failed
P
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 03 Jul 2019, 01:47
In My Opinion :E

Resolve Paradox Questions usually have a missing link that creates a confusion among the readers of the argument.
The task for the test taker is to identify that missing link that clears the confusion in the argument.

Prethinking is a best strategy to improve CR skills.

Time management techniques have regularly been used to improve employee productivity in many organizations. Identifying the time of the day when employees are more efficient helps the management better sequence the work during the week to maximize the productivity throughout the organization. However, when Morigo Inc. enforced a time-tracking software with this intent, it observed a sharp decline in the efficiency levels throughout the organization.

Which of the following, if true, most helps to explain the paradox presented in the passage?

A. To attain maximum benefit from time tracking software, companies need to adapt their work processes to allow for time-based work assignment.
The goal of attaining maximum benefit is not cosidered in the current scenario of decline in the efficiency. Also maximum benefit does not explain the decline in the performance and for this reason the choice is wrong.
B. The highest improvement in efficiency has been recorded in the R&D department – a department that has the fewest employees in the company.
The argument do not provide any correlation between the number of employees and the efficiency of time management techniques also we are not aware of the number of employees of Morigo Inc. and for this reason the choice is wrong.
C. Prior to the implementation of the time-tracking software, employees at Morigo Inc. had a better than industry standards efficiency.
If the employees of Morigo Inc had higher efficiency than industry then also we are not aware if the implementation of the time management technique only increase the lvl to certain lvl only and not beyond a peak level.for this reason the choice in weak in resolving the paradox of the argument.

D. In many cases, a drop-in employees’ productivity levels occurs when unplanned activities arise.
Firstly the point mentions 'In many cases' and this implies that this may be the case in our situation but also implies that it may not be tha case as well, so the choice is not concrete clear of why the productivity declined and only provides a vague possibility.
Secondly the unplanned activities are not coherent with the argument as the argument does not provide any info on the unplanned activities.

E. Increased stress levels due to the perception that their work is being monitored closely has led to a drop in employees’ efficiency levels post the implementation of the time-tracking system.
Correct Choice because this choice clears the confusion by providing the accurate reason of why the productivity of the Morigo employees declined even when it was expected that the productivity will improve after the implementation of Time management Techniques.
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 03 Jul 2019, 04:53
A. To attain maximum benefit from time tracking software, companies need to adapt their work processes to allow for time-based work assignment.--->Wrong: It gives a reasonable solution, but it doesn't meet stated facts.

B. The highest improvement in efficiency has been recorded in the R&D department – a department that has the fewest employees in the company.--->Wrong: out of scope.

C. Prior to the implementation of the time-tracking software, employees at Morigo Inc. had a better than industry standards efficiency.----->Wrong: out of scope.

D. In many cases, a drop-in employees’ productivity levels occurs when unplanned activities arise.---->Wrong: same reason at the 1st option.

E. Increased stress levels due to the perception that their work is being monitored closely has led to a drop in employees’ efficiency levels post the implementation of the time-tracking system.---->CORRECT: as the 1st sentence mentions about Time Management techniques; meanwhile; Morigo used Time Management software, so its paradox is in Time Management methodologies.
Manager
Manager
G
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 03 Jul 2019, 06:56
Since time management techniques --> improve employee productivity --> we expect that time-tracking software will also increase employee productivity.

Paradox: The software indeed led to a sharp decline in efficiency levels

Reason: Option E. Stress levels led to the observed opposite effect than expected.

Correct. Aptly explains the paradox.
B
Schools: IMD '21

Show Tags

New post 06 Jul 2019, 03:49
For me, they keyword is the “SHARP” decline, which means the explanation must affect ALMOST ALL employee’s productivity!

A. This could work, but it lacks further explanation. It talks about attaining MAXIMUM benefit, what we need is something that explains the SHARP DECLINE.
B. The R&D department declines, but what about the other departments? Again, the last sentence of the stimulus is “sharp decline in the efficiency levels THROUGHOUT THE ORGANIZATION.”. Not only the R&D!
C. This does nothing to explain the SHARP decline!
D. This could explain the decline if the implementation of the software was UNPLANNED, but it didn’t say anything about it being unplanned.
E. This clearly states that ALL EMPLOYEES were affected due to the increased stress of the implementation of the time-tracking system!

E is the answer.
Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2019, 10:04
Quote:

Hi @MartyTargetTestPrep,

The above question aks us to explain the paradox. Could you, please, help me with this question. I cannot make myself think that there is a paradox in this question. To my mind, there is NO paradox in this question. In order to understand the argument I pictured a similar situation:

Let our current GMAT score be 650. Suppose that we are going to improve our score by taking online courses from e-gmat because practicing with e-gmat proved 70 point improvement. In order to identify our weakest section (SC, CR, RC, or whichever) and corresponding e-gmat course we need, we will take GMAT Prep test. The test shows that we lack in CR. Finally, we begin to take e-gmat CR course and learn their popular pre-thinking technique for greater accuracy. HOWEVER, when we take GMAT upon completion of the course, we witness that our percentile in CR worsened rather than improved (counter to our expectation!) That is a PARADOX because we did not expect e-gmat to worsen our CR score!

Picture the same scenario but with different ending. We currently have 650. We are choosing among e-gmat courses. We took GMAT Prep test to identify our weakest section so that we know which e-gmat course to take. When GMAT Prep test is over the screen shows 620. Is it a paradox? Not at all! Did we expect GMAT Prep test to improve or not worsen our score? Not! Nobody said that GMAT Prep test would improve our score. That is e-gmat course what is said to improve our score. Thus we don’t have any expectation yet because we haven’t taken e-gmat course yet. It is NOT a paradox if our score drops during GMAT Prep test! (that was not counter to our expectation)

Similarly, in our question, we want to improve the productivity of our employees. Better sequencing is said to boost the proclivity level. In order to identify how to sequence the work better, we first use a time-tracking software (as we used GMAT Prep test in our above example). When the software was enforced the productivity level dropped. Is it a paradox? I am sure NOT. Nobody said that the software itself would improve or not worsen our score. That is better sequencing what is said to improve the productivity level. Thus we don’t have any expectation yet because we haven’t better sequenced the work yet. There is nothing counter to our expectation and thus NO paradox to explain here.[/quote]

Sorry for too wordiness. Is my reasoning correct?
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2019, 01:03
In this question we are looking for reasons why after the implementation of the SW, the productivy decreased. Therefore, a valid answer should contain clear link between these two events and explain the phenomenon for the whole company. For example, one such event could be that the software eat all PC resources and the staff could not work on their PC.

A. To attain maximum benefit from time tracking software, companies need to adapt their work processes to allow for time-based work assignment. - No link between the events, it is just generic suggestion on how the sw should have been implemented.

B. The highest improvement in efficiency has been recorded in the R&D department – a department that has the fewest employees in the company. - The answer doesn't provide explanation, since it provides anecdotical evidence only for a single department. Other departments could decline in efficiency meanwhile.

C. Prior to the implementation of the time-tracking software, employees at Morigo Inc. had a better than industry standards efficiency. No link between the events.

D. In many cases, a drop-in employees’ productivity levels occurs when unplanned activities arise. - this could have been the answer, have there been a statement that there were unplanned activities only after the SW implementation, but not before. Since no such statement is given, the answer is not valid.

E. Increased stress levels due to the perception that their work is being monitored closely has led to a drop in employees’ efficiency levels post the implementation of the time-tracking system - this answer provides required causality between the event - employees got nervious and their productivity declined.
Manager
Manager
S
GPA: 3.99
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2019, 22:02

CLAIMS: technique applied -> productivity improves
SITUATION : Morigo applied techniques using tracking system.
pARADOX: techniques applied -> productivity reduced.
=============================================================
pre-thinking
techniques applied -> X -> productivity reduced. So, what is the value of X
techniques applied -> "pressure increased" -> productivity reduced.
=============================================================

techniques applied -> adapt process -> productivity increased
this is a follow-up action which does not explain the paradox, worst it is changing the SITUATION.

Out of scope. The case is referring to entire company.

This only strengthened the SITUATION that the techniques applied has reduced the productivity but does not explain the paradox.

This only strengthened the CLAIMS that techniques applied increases productivity.

This explains the pARADOX

KUDOS
are much appreciated. Giving Kudos is a great way to thank and motivate contributors, without costing you anything.
Manager
Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2019, 21:22
Time management improves productivity, however, for Morigo Inc. there was a sharp decline. We need to find an answer that provides an explanation for this.

A. To attain maximum benefit from time tracking software, companies need to adapt their work processes to allow for time-based work assignment
We are not bothered about maximum efficiency. Eliminate.

It does not resolve the gap as to why the overall efficiency of the employees has decreased. Eliminate.

But why did it decrease now? It does not explain. Eliminate.

How many unplanned activities occurred since the time tracker has been implemented? A hundred? Zero? We are not sure. Eliminate.

The only option left and it presents a valid reason for the given paradox.

Answer E
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Time management techniques have regularly been used to improve   [#permalink] 20 Jul 2019, 21:22

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   [ 71 posts ] 

Time management techniques have regularly been used to improve

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics