Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 09:04 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 09:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 117 [1]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Timing issues - need advice [#permalink]
anukrati wrote:
TheGerman wrote:
Hey people, I 've got a question:

I have done about 120 RC questions in the OG with an accuracy of 80-85%.

However, in MGMAT tests I suck at RC (in the last test I got 4/12 correct)... I have tried different approaches, including Rhyme's and Gin's.

I think the problem is that I tend to outline the text but with passages of 55-85 lines in the MGMAT this seems impossible (timewise).

How long are the passages in the real GMAT?

My strategy so far:

I read the first paragraph slowly and paraphrase the first sentence. I do the same thing for every first sentence of the other paragraphs. In between I note down important words (e.g. "but", "however",....names, lists of things,...). I am always trying to understand as much as possible and not rushing through the whole thing.

Still at the end, I have to review the text for almost every question asked and hence, I am not able to deal with each text in only 6 mins (3 questions for each text in MGMAT tests)... The outlining itself sometimes takes as much as 4-5 minutes for long passages...

I really don't know how to improve my RC skills further...

Advice would be greatly appreciated!

Hi TheGerman,

The strategy that you are applying is good while you are practicing and it do help you to improve your accuracy.
But as per my experience, you should reduce your time in noting down details/summary.
I would suggest that while you are practicing you start reducing your time for noting down.

I also used to face timing issues in RC, so I started doing all my RC practice timed.

Also, if you want the good strategy book I would suggest if you can have hold of Manhattan LSAT Reading Comprehension.
It did help me in coming up with a strategy of solving RC questions.

I hope that this might help you. Other than this, its all about practice in RC.

Thanks

Thanks! Are the longer passages in the GMAT also as long as the longer ones in MGMAT CATs (55-80lines) ?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4324 [0]
Given Kudos: 197
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
TheGerman wrote:
anukrati wrote:
TheGerman wrote:
Hey people, I 've got a question:

I have done about 120 RC questions in the OG with an accuracy of 80-85%.

However, in MGMAT tests I suck at RC (in the last test I got 4/12 correct)... I have tried different approaches, including Rhyme's and Gin's.

I think the problem is that I tend to outline the text but with passages of 55-85 lines in the MGMAT this seems impossible (timewise).

How long are the passages in the real GMAT?

My strategy so far:

I read the first paragraph slowly and paraphrase the first sentence. I do the same thing for every first sentence of the other paragraphs. In between I note down important words (e.g. "but", "however",....names, lists of things,...). I am always trying to understand as much as possible and not rushing through the whole thing.

Still at the end, I have to review the text for almost every question asked and hence, I am not able to deal with each text in only 6 mins (3 questions for each text in MGMAT tests)... The outlining itself sometimes takes as much as 4-5 minutes for long passages...

I really don't know how to improve my RC skills further...

Advice would be greatly appreciated!

Hi TheGerman,

The strategy that you are applying is good while you are practicing and it do help you to improve your accuracy.
But as per my experience, you should reduce your time in noting down details/summary.
I would suggest that while you are practicing you start reducing your time for noting down.

I also used to face timing issues in RC, so I started doing all my RC practice timed.

Also, if you want the good strategy book I would suggest if you can have hold of Manhattan LSAT Reading Comprehension.
It did help me in coming up with a strategy of solving RC questions.

I hope that this might help you. Other than this, its all about practice in RC.

Thanks

Thanks! Are the longer passages in the GMAT also as long as the longer ones in MGMAT CATs (55-80lines) ?

YES you can find 1 passage of that much length.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Damn... but then how come I have an accuracy of over 80 percent during practicing with the OG (timed) and only 30-40% while doing MGMAT CATs? I am using the same approach and I am nowhere near being that kind of anxious during the CATs?!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4324 [0]
Given Kudos: 197
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
TheGerman wrote:
Damn... but then how come I have an accuracy of over 80 percent during practicing with the OG (timed) and only 30-40% while doing MGMAT CATs? I am using the same approach and I am nowhere near being that kind of anxious during the CATs?!

practice speed if you have 80 percent accuracy in OG...
go to following link..might help you in your preparation:

https://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/reading-fo ... economist/

hope it helps
Manager
Manager
Send PM
...but I do the OG timed... the same time that I use during the CATs..
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
I faced the similar issue...what I decided to do is to prepare extremely well for SC and CR so I can rather quickly solve those types of questions. That way when you get to RC you will have some bonus time accumulated. Now I score in the 40s on Verbal and I do not really worry about time.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 627 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT 1: 760 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 770 Q49 V47
GMAT 3: 780 Q49 V51
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi,

It sounds like you have a good strategy. Overall it is (in my humble opinion) critical to understand what you read before you go to the questions. Other people have different ideas that I'm sure work fine for them. I like the idea of taking notes as you read. This can help you make sense of the passage. That said you MIGHT be taking a bit too long on the reading. Good suggestions in this thread about doing extra reading in your spare time to improve your speed and processing power.

The other big thing: avoid non-official verbal material. I haven't encountered any UN-official questions that I have liked (they take a lot work to write properly hence they are rarely properly done). I would never use them with my students and I wouldn't recommend that anyone else use them in their GMAT preparation (maybe at some point someone will come up with some great questions but I haven't seen them as of yet). There is plenty of official RC (OG, Verbal Review, Paper Tests) for practice and you can use GRE/LSAT RC if you run out of official GMAT questions.

Great job on your RC in the OG! That's a very solid percentage. Definitely give the GRE or LSAT a try. They will be tough but they are great training.

Happy Studies,

HG.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3671 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
I would highly recommend the gmatpill RC Pill Strategy.
What you're doing is spot on in theory -- you're just missing the application.
Yes, you do want to read the first sentence carefully -- but it's not always the case that every RC Passage will tell you what the whole passage is about from just the first sentence. Sometimes it may take a few sentences before the reader can finally decipher what direction the author is taking on the topic at hand.

It's about thinking critically while you read. You did pay attention to transitive words and you say you try to understand what you're reading...but certainly the order in which you do things is going to affect your comprehension. And when looking at an RC question, you are reviewing the text perhaps too long. This suggests the entire process of "scanning" without any clear purpose is going to slow you down and cause you to get questions wrong.

Do what you're doing but do it with greater purpose. At GMATPill, we recommend you to figure out the main idea and the "skeleton" of what's going on with the passage. Then once you get "main idea" questions you should be able to answer them quickly. Upon getting "detail" questions, you should be able to jump to the right spots in the passage (sometimes multiple), in order to zone in on getting the correct answer.

Hope that helps.
GMAT Club Bot