Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 19:36 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 19:36

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72861 [1140]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: University of Tennessee
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT Focus 1:
575 Q76 V81 DI78
GPA: 3.62
WE:Analyst (Consumer Products)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [0]
Given Kudos: 626
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72861 [1]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: Time Management Strategies on GMAT Focus [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Fish181 wrote:
This is so amazing! That's for the update on this for focus. Timing has really thrown me off from the score I know I'm capable of. No one ever talks about being able to change answers at the end. Is it ever a good idea to try and use that as a strategy? I always just pretend I don't have the option to do that.

The best I could come up with in terms of reviewing your answers is in the post above and that’s primarily in the quant section and data insights. Definitely welcome people to poke holes in their approach I outlined.

One of the reasons people don’t talk about reviewing answers at the end is because it has never been done in the last 30 years of GMAT prep so they haven’t been any good strategies developed for this. Traditionally you want to end your test with just enough time basically so you allocated properly among different questions.

However, talking to a number of test takers, many end up reviewing questions they felt were too hard and they skipped. The challenge here is being able to quickly identify which questions are too hard and I think that’s only possible in quant or data insights without wasting quite a bit of time on reading the question trying to figure it out and then realizing it’s Something you want to come back later. That is in efficient and not a good use of your time (again, unless you can minimize the efficiency.

PS. MGMAT new books are coming out in a few few months but I’m looking forward to seeing if they have a robust approach to reviewing.

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63649 [1]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Time Management Strategies on GMAT Focus [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply

bb wrote:
However, talking to a number of test takers, many end up reviewing questions they felt were too hard and they skipped. The challenge here is being able to quickly identify which questions are too hard and I think that’s only possible in quant or data insights without wasting quite a bit of time on reading the question trying to figure it out and then realizing it’s Something you want to come back later. That is in efficient and not a good use of your time (again, unless you can minimize the efficiency.

­We're all still figuring out how best to use the review feature, but broadly speaking, I think bb is spot-on here.

On verbal, there's not a whole lot you can do with the review feature. It's nearly impossible to identify "hard" questions (whatever that might mean for you personally) until you've pretty much done the entire question.

Sure: it doesn't hurt to flag verbal questions that made you uncomfortable -- that way, if you have time to review at the end, you'll know where to direct your attention. But there's absolutely no point in hurrying through verbal so that you have spare time to review at the end. That's going to make things worse.

On quant and DI/IR, I've always been a huge proponent of skipping questions that give you trouble. If you don't see a clear path to the solution, guess and move on. The new review feature makes it easier -- psychologically at least -- to do that. You know that you'll have another crack at those questions if you have extra time. That's a nice thing, and GMAC added the review feature specifically to help test-takers pick their battles without getting anxious.

The trickier question: should you actively try to reserve time at the end for reviewing quant and DI questions? Honestly, I don't think so. Imagine, for example, that you specifically reserve 5 minutes at the end of the quant section. For most test-takers, those 5 minutes are probably better spent in other ways, such as being a little bit more careful on your initial attempts at questions. If you spend those 5 minutes reviewing questions at the end, you MIGHT get an extra question or two right -- but we keep meeting test-takers who seem to spend that time overthinking, and they often change right answers to wrong ones. 

We'll see what happens over the next year or two, as we watch more of our students grapple with the GMAT Focus. Maybe we'll start to see more value in saving time at the end. But so far, I don't see much reason to believe that saving time at the end will actually help -- and for test-takers who tend to second-guess themselves, it might even hurt a bit.

I'm curious to hear other views on this, though! ­
GMAT Club Bot
Time Management Strategies on GMAT Focus [#permalink]