Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 14:38 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 14:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72859 [876]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.41
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72859 [19]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [2]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.41
Send PM
Re: Timing Strategies on the GMAT [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Gracias...

Interesting...I hope I dont have to use it, but if so, thanks for the advice.
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9239 [12]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Yes, the worst thing you can do on a computer adaptive IRT-based test is get a string of bad answers in a row. Going Right, Right, Wrong, Wrong or Right, Wrong, Right, Wrong on the last four questions probably won't make any difference at all, but guessing, say, at the last ten questions in a row is typically much worse than spreading out those guesses throughout the test - provided you guess mainly at questions above your level, which is what people would surely do anyway (you shouldn't ever be guessing at a question that's too easy for you). It's best to pick your spots; if you're in the middle of the test, and a minute into a question you have no roadmap to a solution, that's a great time to use a fallback strategy to eliminate some wrong answers, take a good guess, and move on - then you're more likely to have time to answer questions at the end of the test that you'd know how to solve. It's only if you know you can finish the Quant section with a healthy amount of time to spare that it would be good to spend extra time on such a question.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 94 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
 Q48  V27
Send PM
Does practicing a lot using a GMAT clock improves the time :?:
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72859 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
eresh wrote:
Does practicing a lot using a GMAT clock improves the time :?:

You should post this on in the GMAT Timer thread.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 3046 [2]
Given Kudos: 157
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
Send PM
Bookmarks
This is great post.

But I think timing strategy for verbal (which is missing here) will also be of great help to us. Is such a thread already there??
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 102 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Industrial Sector
Schools:Kellogg, MIT, Michigan, Berkeley, Marshall, Mellon
 Q47  V28
Send PM
Hi mates,

I'm expecting the timing strategy for the verbal part :-D

Regards
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72859 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
No pressure eh?
:lol:

You guys are always welcome to start throwing things down and I will wrap it together.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [4]
Given Kudos: 26
Concentration: Dual MBA and Master of Health Administration
Schools:University of Missouri-Columbia
 Q47  V42
GPA: 3.25
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
After my first GMATPrep test, I realized that I was fast on quant and slow on verbal. So, I was also looking for precise Verbal timing strategies, though I couldn't find it here.

In the interests of sharing knowledge across borders, I'll repost the following:

1:30 for SC
2:30 for CR
6:00 for Short Passages
8:00 for Long Passages

(Credit where credit is due--this was originally posted by doclkk)

That probably ends up being a little slow, but I'll use this as a rubric for my next practice tests (OG, Kaplan), and report back with results.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72859 [7]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
bgs7b6 wrote:
After my first GMATPrep test, I realized that I was fast on quant and slow on verbal. So, I was also looking for precise Verbal timing strategies, though I couldn't find it here.

In the interests of sharing knowledge across borders, I'll repost the following:

That probably ends up being a little slow, but I'll use this as a rubric for my next practice tests (OG, Kaplan), and report back with results.

Verbal is very different from Quant, so be careful following someone else's timing as your strengths/weaknesses may not be aligned.

For instance - this person spent only 6 mins on a 3-4 question RC - that means 2 mins on passage and 1 min per question - :shock:. That's too tough for me and most others since RC seems to be one of the most time consuming/tough sections.

here was my approach:
My personal strategy was to spend 45 seconds on SC's (read question once, identify the problem, phrase it in my mind, and find the correct answer that matched the one I made up). Usually I could hit these in 30-45 seconds and in 20% of cases needed as much as a minute and a half. I would spend 1:30 on each CR question. I could crack half of them in 30-45 seconds but the other half took closer to 2 minutes, so it was averaging about 1:30. All of this was building up towards the section I had the most problems with - reading comprehension. I knew that I needed 45 x 15 for SC's, 1:30 x 14 for CR's and that left 40 minutes for RC, which meant I could spend 10 minutes per passage. I would read the passage very carefully and spend probably 5-6 minutes doing and not feeling rushed as I knew I could read any passage in that period of time. After finishing the text, I knew I had 1 minute for each question so I did not need to rush either. On the Verbal, I did not really keep track of the clock when moving from question to question, but I would note the time when I start the RC passage and made sure I did not go over the alotted time by the end.

it is posted here: gmat-study-plan-go-from-650-to-80235.html
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72859 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Thanks bgs7b6 for motivating me to add the Verbal tips.

If there is something that helped you, please share your strategies and tips - I will add them to the first post with Kudos :)
Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [2]
 Q47  V42
Send PM
Kudos
EXCELLENT breakdown, thanks bb!

I'll run through one of the Kaplan or OG tests with the absolutely fantastic TestGrid4GMAT timer, and see which schedule proves effective. :)
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
Cool.
Here is the Timer/Grid: new-gmat-practice-grid-11448.html

Also, there is Walker's GMAT Timer - give it a shot.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
 Q47  V42
Send PM
Thanks bb!

I did try out Walker's timer, but I favored the more-detailed recording of careless error/concept error and notes, and the highlighting of "slow" answers, which are allowed by TestGrid4GMAT. Though Walker's is more of a "quickie app," TestGrid4GMAT is more detailed in allowing me to clearly see how I got it wrong (I record the concept type in the notes: e.g., geometry, algebra, etc.), and that's certainly what I need for my error log with T-32 days and counting to D-Day!
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72859 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
bgs7b6 wrote:
Thanks bb!

I did try out Walker's timer, but I favored the more-detailed recording of careless error/concept error and notes, and the highlighting of "slow" answers, which are allowed by TestGrid4GMAT. Though Walker's is more of a "quickie app," TestGrid4GMAT is more detailed in allowing me to clearly see how I got it wrong (I record the concept type in the notes: e.g., geometry, algebra, etc.), and that's certainly what I need for my error log with T-32 days and counting to D-Day!

Sounds good. You can also use this resource for OG 12 error log (again not as detailed, but it has all of the categories, etc)
gmat-club-guide-to-the-gmat-official-guide-12th-ed-85956.html
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [1]
 Q47  V42
Send PM
Kudos
Just remembered that I kept "score" for my GMATPrep test #1 on the verbal section! Here's a breakdown (again, thanks to the fantastic TestGrid4GMAT!):

Total time spent per question type--
SC: 23:07 (mm:ss)
CR: 22:21
RC: 22:32 (4 RC passages in the test, 3 passages with 3 questions, 1 passage with 4 questions)
Spare time left over at the end of the test was 07:00. (Note: the extra time wouldn't have helped me; I only flip-flopped on answering one of the questions.)

Not sure if it's what GMAC intended, but I used roughly the exact same amount of time on all three areas...

SC average amount of time per question: 01:22
CR average: 02:02
RC average: 01:44
RC average time spent answering the first question of the RC series: 02:49
RC average time spent answering each question other than the first: 01:15
RC average (deduced) time spent reading the passage: 01:33
RC average amount of time spent on each 3- or 4-question series: 05:38

For frame of reference, my score was Q42, V39, 660 total.

In summary, this demonstrates a pretty close fit to the above strategy of:
(Although, I would just say a flat 07:00 for each RC passage to keep it simple.)

And while I'm sure that my #s don't have universal application, I hope this data helps at least one other person sketch their Verbal timing strategy. :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Reading Comprehension (RC)
All of this was building up towards the section I had the most problems with - reading comprehension. I knew that I needed 45 x 15 for SC's, 1:30 x 14 for CR's and that left 40 minutes for RC, which meant I could spend 10 minutes per passage. I would read the passage very carefully and spend probably 5-6 minutes doing and not feeling rushed as I knew I could read any passage in that period of time. After finishing the text, I knew I had 1 minute for each question so I did not need to rush either. On the Verbal, I did not really keep track of the clock when moving from question to question, but I would note the time when I start the RC passage and made sure I did not go over the alotted time by the end.

Hi there brilliant piece of advice - Please refer to bold above as reference to my question which is:- how many passages are there in the real test then?

Thank you
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
LUGO wrote:
Reading Comprehension (RC)
All of this was building up towards the section I had the most problems with - reading comprehension. I knew that I needed 45 x 15 for SC's, 1:30 x 14 for CR's and that left 40 minutes for RC, which meant I could spend 10 minutes per passage. I would read the passage very carefully and spend probably 5-6 minutes doing and not feeling rushed as I knew I could read any passage in that period of time. After finishing the text, I knew I had 1 minute for each question so I did not need to rush either. On the Verbal, I did not really keep track of the clock when moving from question to question, but I would note the time when I start the RC passage and made sure I did not go over the alotted time by the end.

Hi there brilliant piece of advice - Please refer to bold above as reference to my question which is:- how many passages are there in the real test then?

Thank you

You will see 4 passages.
Usually - 1 short, 2 medium, and 1 long, but it varies as well as the number of questions with each passage - usually 3-4.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5