GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Nov 2018, 04:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
28293031123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
2526272829301
Open Detailed Calendar
  • How to QUICKLY Solve GMAT Questions - GMAT Club Chat

     November 20, 2018

     November 20, 2018

     09:00 AM PST

     10:00 AM PST

    The reward for signing up with the registration form and attending the chat is: 6 free examPAL quizzes to practice your new skills after the chat.
  • The winning strategy for 700+ on the GMAT

     November 20, 2018

     November 20, 2018

     06:00 PM EST

     07:00 PM EST

    What people who reach the high 700's do differently? We're going to share insights, tips and strategies from data we collected on over 50,000 students who used examPAL.

Timmy is learning about the war in which much of Europe will be reduce

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 23 Mar 2011
Posts: 411
Location: India
GPA: 2.5
WE: Operations (Hospitality and Tourism)
Timmy is learning about the war in which much of Europe will be reduce  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 19 Mar 2013, 09:02
4
12
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  35% (medium)

Question Stats:

61% (00:39) correct 39% (00:45) wrong based on 743 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Timmy is learning about the war in which much of Europe will be reduced to rubble.

(A) Timmy is learning about the war in which much of Europe will be reduced to rubble
(B) Timmy learned about the war in which much of Europe had been reduced to rubble
(C) Timmy had learned about the war in which much of Europe was reduced to rubble
(D) Timmy has learned about the war in which much of Europe must have been bee reduced to rubble
(E) Timmy learned about the war in which much of Europe was reduced to rubble

_________________

"When the going gets tough, the tough gets going!"

Bring ON SOME KUDOS MATES+++



-----------------------------
Quant Notes consolidated: http://gmatclub.com/forum/consolodited-quant-guides-of-forum-most-helpful-in-preps-151067.html#p1217652

My GMAT journey begins: http://gmatclub.com/forum/my-gmat-journey-begins-122251.html

All about Richard Ivey: http://gmatclub.com/forum/all-about-richard-ivey-148594.html#p1190518


Originally posted by sdas on 18 Mar 2013, 23:42.
Last edited by sdas on 19 Mar 2013, 09:02, edited 1 time in total.
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Retired Moderator
User avatar
S
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 2990
Location: Germany
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Timmy is learning about the war in which much of Europe will be reduce  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Mar 2017, 10:39
1
5
abhimahna wrote:
Shouldn't the answer be B here? War happened earlier and then Timmy learned about it. As per OA, looks like both could be used with same time frame(tenses). Please suggest.


Past perfect is used only when it is required to clarify the sequence. Following is an excerpt from Manhattan SC guide:

Do not use the perfect tenses when the simple tenses will do. The GMAT prefers simplicity.
Wrong: Joe LEARNED about an epoch in which dinosaurs HAD WALKED the earth.
Right: Joe LEARNED about an epoch in which dinosaurs WALKED the earth.
In the first example, the Past Perfect had walked is unnecessary. Although the action had walked does take place earlier than the action learned, the earlier action does not have a direct bearing on the context of the later action. The sequence of time does not need to be clarified or emphasized. Thus, the Past Perfect is considered wrong in this context.
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: Prevent and prepare. Not repent and repair!!
Joined: 13 Feb 2010
Posts: 198
Location: India
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.75
WE: Sales (Telecommunications)
Re: Timmy is learning about the war in which much of Europe will be reduce  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2013, 02:49
sdas wrote:
Timmy is learning about the war in which much of Europe will be reduced to rubble


A. .....
B. Timmy learned about the war in which much of Europe had been reduced to rubble
C. Timmy had learned about the war in which much of Europe was reduced to rubble
D, Timmy has learned about the war in which much of Europe must have been bee reduced to rubble
E. Timmy learned about the war in which much of Europe was reduced to rubble

Request discussion, OA will be revealed later



A,B,C and D conveys the wrong meaning if you think about it.

Simple past is required here. The answer choice E is the best.
_________________

I've failed over and over and over again in my life and that is why I succeed--Michael Jordan
Kudos drives a person to better himself every single time. So Pls give it generously
Wont give up till i hit a 700+

Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 05 Sep 2010
Posts: 713
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Timmy is learning about the war in which much of Europe will be reduce  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2013, 04:53
3
1
@ratin sequencing of events is required when two event in the past have some bearing over each other .for two random events sequencing is not required .in fact it sounds very awkward !!
the fact the timmy learned about some war (isolated event ) has no bearing on timing of the war so past perfect is wrong here !!
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 25 Mar 2012
Posts: 17
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GPA: 3.04
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
Re: Timmy is learning about the war in which much of Europe will be reduce  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2013, 05:58
sdas wrote:
Timmy is learning about the war in which much of Europe will be reduced to rubble


A. .....
B. Timmy learned about the war in which much of Europe had been reduced to rubble
C. Timmy had learned about the war in which much of Europe was reduced to rubble
D, Timmy has learned about the war in which much of Europe must have been bee reduced to rubble
E. Timmy learned about the war in which much of Europe was reduced to rubble

Request discussion, OA will be revealed later


Here, the use of past perfect is not required. The sentence don't want to say "Timmy learned after much of the Europe had been reduced to rubble".
Will you say "I visited a grocery store where most of the items had been costly" or "I visited a grocery store where most of the items were costly"?
I'll go with option E.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 23 Mar 2011
Posts: 411
Location: India
GPA: 2.5
WE: Operations (Hospitality and Tourism)
Re: Timmy is learning about the war in which much of Europe will be reduce  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2013, 09:01
1
aditya8062 wrote:
@ratin sequencing of events is required when two event in the past have some bearing over each other .for two random events sequencing is not required .in fact it sounds very awkward !!
the fact the timmy learned about some war (isolated event ) has no bearing on timing of the war so past perfect is wrong here !!


Hi Aditya, the reason why we dont need a past perfect tense here is that 2 events - Timmy learning and war that already happened, have no bearing on each other. If we have to define past perfect tense usage, it is used only for 2 related events where sequencing is essential. In this sentence, sequence is essential, obviously war happened before Timmy learned about the war, but event wise these 2 dont relate to each other, even if Timmy decided not to learn, the war would still have happened (because it already happened in the past and Timmy was not a deciding factor to it)

Hope this explains
_________________

"When the going gets tough, the tough gets going!"

Bring ON SOME KUDOS MATES+++



-----------------------------
Quant Notes consolidated: http://gmatclub.com/forum/consolodited-quant-guides-of-forum-most-helpful-in-preps-151067.html#p1217652

My GMAT journey begins: http://gmatclub.com/forum/my-gmat-journey-begins-122251.html

All about Richard Ivey: http://gmatclub.com/forum/all-about-richard-ivey-148594.html#p1190518

Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 05 Sep 2010
Posts: 713
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Timmy is learning about the war in which much of Europe will be reduce  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2013, 09:09
Quote:
Hi Aditya, the reason why we dont need a past perfect tense here is that 2 events - Timmy learning and war that already happened, have no bearing on each other. If we have to define past perfect tense usage, it is used only for 2 related events where sequencing is essential. In this sentence, sequence is essential, obviously war happened before Timmy learned about the war, but event wise these 2 dont relate to each other, even if Timmy decided not to learn, the war would still have happened (because it already happened in the past and Timmy was not a deciding factor to it)

so i said they have no bearing on each other !!
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 16 Jul 2015
Posts: 22
Location: India
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V27
GPA: 3.4
Re: Timmy is learning about the war in which much of Europe will be reduce  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Nov 2016, 06:56
1
sdas wrote:
Timmy is learning about the war in which much of Europe will be reduced to rubble


A. .....
B. Timmy learned about the war in which much of Europe had been reduced to rubble
C. Timmy had learned about the war in which much of Europe was reduced to rubble
D, Timmy has learned about the war in which much of Europe must have been bee reduced to rubble
E. Timmy learned about the war in which much of Europe was reduced to rubble

Request discussion, OA will be revealed later


There are 2 events here:
Event 1: A war X reduced Europe to rubble
Event 2: Timmy learned about the war X

These 2 events are very much related and should have sequencing in place. It can never happen that Timmy learned about the war before the war actually happened. Hence Past perfect should be used.
So my choice would be Option:B, in which Event 1 is Past Perfect(Europe reduced to rubble) and Event 2 in Simple Past ( Timmy learned about the war)

Experts please comment if my understanding is correct
Board of Directors
User avatar
V
Status: Stepping into my 10 years long dream
Joined: 18 Jul 2015
Posts: 3615
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Timmy is learning about the war in which much of Europe will be reduce  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Mar 2017, 06:02
Shouldn't the answer be B here? War happened earlier and then Timmy learned about it. As per OA, looks like both could be used with same time frame(tenses). Please suggest.
_________________

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub | Importance of an Error Log!
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog
GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.
New! Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!
Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free
Check our new About Us Page here.

Retired Moderator
User avatar
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Posts: 4512
Location: India
WE: Education (Education)
Re: Timmy is learning about the war in which much of Europe will be reduce  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Mar 2017, 01:41
Top Contributor
Why should we have to accept such a war has already occurred? In fact, much of Europe has not been reduced to rubble either in the WWI or in WW2. On the contrary, Europe emerged stronger from these wars.
Therefore, IMO, such a war is yet to occur and hence a future tense is the correct tense to describe such an eventuality.

On the basis of logical tense alone one may dump B, C and E. D is dubious and suspect. It is only hunching that Europe must have been reduced to rubble. Therefore A.
_________________

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Retired Moderator
avatar
P
Joined: 04 Aug 2016
Posts: 508
Location: India
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)
Premium Member
Re: Timmy is learning about the war in which much of Europe will be reduce  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Mar 2017, 07:42
daagh wrote:
Why should we have to accept such a war has already occurred? In fact, much of Europe has not been reduced to rubble either in the WWI or in WW2. On the contrary, Europe emerged stronger from these wars.
Therefore, IMO, such a war is yet to occur and hence a future tense is the correct tense to describe such an eventuality.

On the basis of logical tense alone one may dump B, C and E. D is dubious and suspect. It is only hunching that Europe must have been reduced to rubble. Therefore A.



Very interesting thought but if you say that such a war is yet to occur why would the author use -- is learning about the war? Wouldn't there be an indication such as "a probable war".
Retired Moderator
User avatar
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Posts: 4512
Location: India
WE: Education (Education)
Re: Timmy is learning about the war in which much of Europe will be reduce  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Mar 2017, 09:54
Top Contributor
We understand that there has been no such war in the past. Nor is there one now. Hence, the only possibility is a future war. Aren’t most of our studies whether in history or in astrophysics are some way related to our gaining an insight into the future? Let's look at this; Theses days I am learning seriously about numismatics since I will want to be a collector when I go on a global tour two years hence. Alternatively, as in - I am dreaming of the day when INR will be equal to USD-. Are these expressions not acceptable? Except for the use of 'will', there is no other future - tense marker and I feel any further future - marker may render it redundant. My single observation is that it is wrong to fold up saying that such things should be only referring to past time and not necessarily to present or future.
_________________

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 10 Mar 2017
Posts: 2
Re: Timmy is learning about the war in which much of Europe will be reduce  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2017, 13:34
Why can't we stick with the original ; Tim is learning about the war.... is there somthing wrng with the -ing form
Verbal Forum Moderator
User avatar
V
Status: Greatness begins beyond your comfort zone
Joined: 08 Dec 2013
Posts: 2125
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Kelley '20, ISB '19
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Timmy is learning about the war in which much of Europe will be reduce  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2018, 22:13
garima0814 wrote:
Why can't we stick with the original ; Tim is learning about the war.... is there somthing wrng with the -ing form


Hi garima0814,
Present continuous is used to describe an ongoing event. Generally, you won't see this tense on a correct answer on the GMAT. Also,the bigger issue is that as per A, the war has not occurred yet.

Timmy is learning about the war in which much of Europe will be reduced to rubble.

(A) Timmy is learning about the war in which much of Europe will be reduced to rubble - Incorrect - How can you learn about a war that has not happened yet (Unless people can predict the future with certainty or maybe time travel :-D )
(B) Timmy learned about the war in which much of Europe had been reduced to rubble - Usage of past perfect is incorrect as the events are not dependent
(C) Timmy had learned about the war in which much of Europe was reduced to rubble - Incorrect - issue with timeline and tense
(D) Timmy has learned about the war in which much of Europe must have been bee reduced to rubble Incorrect - issue with timeline and usage of present perfect
(E) Timmy learned about the war in which much of Europe was reduced to rubble - Correct

Answer E
_________________

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford
The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 28 Aug 2018
Posts: 12
CAT Tests
Re: Timmy is learning about the war in which much of Europe will be reduce  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Oct 2018, 23:00
The verb 'learning' and 'reduced' are not related. Hence, the usage of 'had' is incorrect.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Timmy is learning about the war in which much of Europe will be reduce &nbs [#permalink] 24 Oct 2018, 23:00
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Timmy is learning about the war in which much of Europe will be reduce

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.