It is currently 27 Jun 2017, 19:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Timmy is learning about the war in which much of Europe will be reduce

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GPA: 2.5
WE: Operations (Hospitality and Tourism)
Timmy is learning about the war in which much of Europe will be reduce [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2013, 00:42
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

62% (01:40) correct 38% (00:46) wrong based on 497 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Timmy is learning about the war in which much of Europe will be reduced to rubble.

(A) Timmy is learning about the war in which much of Europe will be reduced to rubble
(B) Timmy learned about the war in which much of Europe had been reduced to rubble
(C) Timmy had learned about the war in which much of Europe was reduced to rubble
(D) Timmy has learned about the war in which much of Europe must have been bee reduced to rubble
(E) Timmy learned about the war in which much of Europe was reduced to rubble
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

"When the going gets tough, the tough gets going!"

Bring ON SOME KUDOS MATES+++

-----------------------------
Quant Notes consolidated: http://gmatclub.com/forum/consolodited-quant-guides-of-forum-most-helpful-in-preps-151067.html#p1217652

My GMAT journey begins: http://gmatclub.com/forum/my-gmat-journey-begins-122251.html

All about Richard Ivey: http://gmatclub.com/forum/all-about-richard-ivey-148594.html#p1190518

Last edited by sdas on 19 Mar 2013, 10:02, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.75
WE: Sales (Telecommunications)
Re: Timmy is learning about the war in which much of Europe will be reduce [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2013, 03:49
sdas wrote:
Timmy is learning about the war in which much of Europe will be reduced to rubble

A. .....
B. Timmy learned about the war in which much of Europe had been reduced to rubble
C. Timmy had learned about the war in which much of Europe was reduced to rubble
D, Timmy has learned about the war in which much of Europe must have been bee reduced to rubble
E. Timmy learned about the war in which much of Europe was reduced to rubble

Request discussion, OA will be revealed later

A,B,C and D conveys the wrong meaning if you think about it.

Simple past is required here. The answer choice E is the best.

I've failed over and over and over again in my life and that is why I succeed--Michael Jordan
Kudos drives a person to better himself every single time. So Pls give it generously
Wont give up till i hit a 700+

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Timmy is learning about the war in which much of Europe will be reduce [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2013, 05:53
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
@ratin sequencing of events is required when two event in the past have some bearing over each other .for two random events sequencing is not required .in fact it sounds very awkward !!
the fact the timmy learned about some war (isolated event ) has no bearing on timing of the war so past perfect is wrong here !!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GPA: 3.04
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2013, 06:58
sdas wrote:
Timmy is learning about the war in which much of Europe will be reduced to rubble

A. .....
B. Timmy learned about the war in which much of Europe had been reduced to rubble
C. Timmy had learned about the war in which much of Europe was reduced to rubble
D, Timmy has learned about the war in which much of Europe must have been bee reduced to rubble

Here, the use of past perfect is not required. The sentence don't want to say "Timmy learned after much of the Europe had been reduced to rubble".
Will you say "I visited a grocery store where most of the items had been costly" or "I visited a grocery store where most of the items were costly"?
I'll go with option E.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GPA: 2.5
WE: Operations (Hospitality and Tourism)

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2013, 10:01
aditya8062 wrote:
@ratin sequencing of events is required when two event in the past have some bearing over each other .for two random events sequencing is not required .in fact it sounds very awkward !!
the fact the timmy learned about some war (isolated event ) has no bearing on timing of the war so past perfect is wrong here !!

Hi Aditya, the reason why we dont need a past perfect tense here is that 2 events - Timmy learning and war that already happened, have no bearing on each other. If we have to define past perfect tense usage, it is used only for 2 related events where sequencing is essential. In this sentence, sequence is essential, obviously war happened before Timmy learned about the war, but event wise these 2 dont relate to each other, even if Timmy decided not to learn, the war would still have happened (because it already happened in the past and Timmy was not a deciding factor to it)

Hope this explains

"When the going gets tough, the tough gets going!"

Bring ON SOME KUDOS MATES+++

-----------------------------
Quant Notes consolidated: http://gmatclub.com/forum/consolodited-quant-guides-of-forum-most-helpful-in-preps-151067.html#p1217652

My GMAT journey begins: http://gmatclub.com/forum/my-gmat-journey-begins-122251.html

All about Richard Ivey: http://gmatclub.com/forum/all-about-richard-ivey-148594.html#p1190518

Director
Director
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2013, 10:09
Quote:
Hi Aditya, the reason why we dont need a past perfect tense here is that 2 events - Timmy learning and war that already happened, have no bearing on each other. If we have to define past perfect tense usage, it is used only for 2 related events where sequencing is essential. In this sentence, sequence is essential, obviously war happened before Timmy learned about the war, but event wise these 2 dont relate to each other, even if Timmy decided not to learn, the war would still have happened (because it already happened in the past and Timmy was not a deciding factor to it)

so i said they have no bearing on each other !!
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 30 Nov 2016, 07:56
sdas wrote:

A. .....

There are 2 events here:
Event 1: A war X reduced Europe to rubble
Event 2: Timmy learned about the war X

These 2 events are very much related and should have sequencing in place. It can never happen that Timmy learned about the war before the war actually happened. Hence Past perfect should be used.
So my choice would be Option:B, in which Event 1 is Past Perfect(Europe reduced to rubble) and Event 2 in Simple Past ( Timmy learned about the war)

Experts please comment if my understanding is correct
BSchool Forum Moderator
P
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 670 Q50 V32
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.65
WE: Brand Management (Health Care)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 05 Mar 2017, 07:02
Shouldn't the answer be B here? War happened earlier and then Timmy learned about it. As per OA, looks like both could be used with same time frame(tenses). Please suggest.

Good Luck

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 06 Mar 2017, 11:39
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
abhimahna wrote:
Shouldn't the answer be B here? War happened earlier and then Timmy learned about it. As per OA, looks like both could be used with same time frame(tenses). Please suggest.

Past perfect is used only when it is required to clarify the sequence. Following is an excerpt from Manhattan SC guide:

Do not use the perfect tenses when the simple tenses will do. The GMAT prefers simplicity.
Wrong: Joe LEARNED about an epoch in which dinosaurs HAD WALKED the earth.
Right: Joe LEARNED about an epoch in which dinosaurs WALKED the earth.
In the first example, the Past Perfect had walked is unnecessary. Although the action had walked does take place earlier than the action learned, the earlier action does not have a direct bearing on the context of the later action. The sequence of time does not need to be clarified or emphasized. Thus, the Past Perfect is considered wrong in this context.
Top Contributor
Retired Moderator
G
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 07 Mar 2017, 02:41
Top Contributor
Why should we have to accept such a war has already occurred? In fact, much of Europe has not been reduced to rubble either in the WWI or in WW2. On the contrary, Europe emerged stronger from these wars.
Therefore, IMO, such a war is yet to occur and hence a future tense is the correct tense to describe such an eventuality.

On the basis of logical tense alone one may dump B, C and E. D is dubious and suspect. It is only hunching that Europe must have been reduced to rubble. Therefore A.

“Better than a thousand days of diligent study is one day with a great teacher” – a Japanese proverb.

Chat Moderator
G
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 07 Mar 2017, 08:42
daagh wrote:
Why should we have to accept such a war has already occurred? In fact, much of Europe has not been reduced to rubble either in the WWI or in WW2. On the contrary, Europe emerged stronger from these wars.
Therefore, IMO, such a war is yet to occur and hence a future tense is the correct tense to describe such an eventuality.

On the basis of logical tense alone one may dump B, C and E. D is dubious and suspect. It is only hunching that Europe must have been reduced to rubble. Therefore A.

Very interesting thought but if you say that such a war is yet to occur why would the author use -- is learning about the war? Wouldn't there be an indication such as "a probable war".
Top Contributor
Retired Moderator
G
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 07 Mar 2017, 10:54
Top Contributor
We understand that there has been no such war in the past. Nor is there one now. Hence, the only possibility is a future war. Aren’t most of our studies whether in history or in astrophysics are some way related to our gaining an insight into the future? Let's look at this; Theses days I am learning seriously about numismatics since I will want to be a collector when I go on a global tour two years hence. Alternatively, as in - I am dreaming of the day when INR will be equal to USD-. Are these expressions not acceptable? Except for the use of 'will', there is no other future - tense marker and I feel any further future - marker may render it redundant. My single observation is that it is wrong to fold up saying that such things should be only referring to past time and not necessarily to present or future.

“Better than a thousand days of diligent study is one day with a great teacher” – a Japanese proverb.

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2017, 14:34
Why can't we stick with the original ; Tim is learning about the war.... is there somthing wrng with the -ing form
Re: Timmy is learning about the war in which much of Europe will be reduce   [#permalink] 10 Mar 2017, 14:34