Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 16:18 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 16:18

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 637 [78]
Given Kudos: 59
GPA: 2.5
WE:Operations (Hospitality and Tourism)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [36]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 640 [5]
Given Kudos: 61
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 416 [1]
Given Kudos: 282
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.75
WE:Sales (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Re: Timmy is learning about the war in which much of Europe will be reduce [#permalink]
Kudos
sdas wrote:
Timmy is learning about the war in which much of Europe will be reduced to rubble

A. .....
B. Timmy learned about the war in which much of Europe had been reduced to rubble
C. Timmy had learned about the war in which much of Europe was reduced to rubble
D, Timmy has learned about the war in which much of Europe must have been bee reduced to rubble
E. Timmy learned about the war in which much of Europe was reduced to rubble

Request discussion, OA will be revealed later

A,B,C and D conveys the wrong meaning if you think about it.

Simple past is required here. The answer choice E is the best.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 637 [3]
Given Kudos: 59
GPA: 2.5
WE:Operations (Hospitality and Tourism)
Send PM
Re: Timmy is learning about the war in which much of Europe will be reduce [#permalink]
Kudos
aditya8062 wrote:
@ratin sequencing of events is required when two event in the past have some bearing over each other .for two random events sequencing is not required .in fact it sounds very awkward !!
the fact the timmy learned about some war (isolated event ) has no bearing on timing of the war so past perfect is wrong here !!

Hi Aditya, the reason why we dont need a past perfect tense here is that 2 events - Timmy learning and war that already happened, have no bearing on each other. If we have to define past perfect tense usage, it is used only for 2 related events where sequencing is essential. In this sentence, sequence is essential, obviously war happened before Timmy learned about the war, but event wise these 2 dont relate to each other, even if Timmy decided not to learn, the war would still have happened (because it already happened in the past and Timmy was not a deciding factor to it)

Hope this explains
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5425 [0]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Expert Reply
Shouldn't the answer be B here? War happened earlier and then Timmy learned about it. As per OA, looks like both could be used with same time frame(tenses). Please suggest.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [1]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Why should we have to accept such a war has already occurred? In fact, much of Europe has not been reduced to rubble either in the WWI or in WW2. On the contrary, Europe emerged stronger from these wars.
Therefore, IMO, such a war is yet to occur and hence a future tense is the correct tense to describe such an eventuality.

On the basis of logical tense alone one may dump B, C and E. D is dubious and suspect. It is only hunching that Europe must have been reduced to rubble. Therefore A.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 337 [1]
Given Kudos: 144
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GPA: 4
WE:Engineering (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Kudos
daagh wrote:
Why should we have to accept such a war has already occurred? In fact, much of Europe has not been reduced to rubble either in the WWI or in WW2. On the contrary, Europe emerged stronger from these wars.
Therefore, IMO, such a war is yet to occur and hence a future tense is the correct tense to describe such an eventuality.

On the basis of logical tense alone one may dump B, C and E. D is dubious and suspect. It is only hunching that Europe must have been reduced to rubble. Therefore A.

Very interesting thought but if you say that such a war is yet to occur why would the author use -- is learning about the war? Wouldn't there be an indication such as "a probable war".
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [0]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
We understand that there has been no such war in the past. Nor is there one now. Hence, the only possibility is a future war. Aren’t most of our studies whether in history or in astrophysics are some way related to our gaining an insight into the future? Let's look at this; Theses days I am learning seriously about numismatics since I will want to be a collector when I go on a global tour two years hence. Alternatively, as in - I am dreaming of the day when INR will be equal to USD-. Are these expressions not acceptable? Except for the use of 'will', there is no other future - tense marker and I feel any further future - marker may render it redundant. My single observation is that it is wrong to fold up saying that such things should be only referring to past time and not necessarily to present or future.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 182
Send PM
Hello,

Could someone specify why B is incorrect?

Thank you!
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
KHow wrote:

Hi KHow, B uses past perfect tense (had been reduced). When two events happened in the past, past perfect is used to depict the earlier of the two events.

Here, Europe reducing to rubble clearly did not happen before the war and hence, past perfect is not justified.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses Past perfect tense, its application and examples in significant detail. If you or someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
GPA: 3.78
Send PM
Timmy is learning about the war in which much of Europe will be reduce [#permalink]
EducationAisle wrote:
KHow wrote:

Hi KHow, B uses past perfect tense (had been reduced). When two events happened in the past, past perfect is used to depict the earlier of the two events.

Here, Europe reducing to rubble clearly did not happen before the war and hence, past perfect is not justified.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses Past perfect tense, its application and examples in significant detail. If you or someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section.

But isn't the comparison between Timmy learning and Europe being reduced to rubble? The comparison doesn't seem to be about the war. And in the case of Timmy learning, it is clearly occurring after Europe had been reduced to rubble.

Please correct me if I am understanding this wrong.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [2]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Prar11 wrote:
But isn't the comparison between Timmy learning and Europe being reduced to rubble? The comparison doesn't seem to be about the war. And in the case of Timmy learning, it is clearly occurring after Europe had been reduced to rubble.

Please correct me if I am understanding this wrong.

Hi Prar11, I wouldn't really call it a comparison sentence.

Notice that the modifier in which.... modifies war.

So, the construct is:

Timmy learned about the war.

Which war?

The war in which much of Europe was reduced to rubble.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts