Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 12:20 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 12:20

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [4]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 495 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools: UCSD (Rady) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE:Education (Education)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT Date: 10-15-2012
GPA: 3.1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [1]
Send PM
Re: Tips and strategies for the verbal section [#permalink]
Kudos
I know what you mean. I occasionally come across words that I am unfamiliar with or unsure about. This tends to happen more when the passage is about a subject that I'm unfamiliar with, such as biology or astronomy.

I think that rereading a few sentences two or three times is okay, especially if you weren't concentrating to the fullest when you first read the sentence. However, I've never had to reread an entire passage.

When I come across words I am unfamiliar with or unsure about, I try to use context clues to come up with a very good guess of what the word means. Context clues are clues located in the sentence that contains the word, or in the preceding or following sentences. These clues give you an idea of what the word means. Here's a straightforward example taken from a passage in the official guide:

"The heart of sea snakes can be located near the middle of the body... In arboreal snakes, however, which dwell in trees and often assume a vertical posture, the average distance from the heart to the head can be as little as 15 percent of overall body length."

I don't know what "arboreal" means. However, the words "dwell in trees" lead me to believe that arboreal means "dwelling in trees". It turns out that yes, that's what it means. (Additionally, it also turns out that the French word for "tree", "arbre", is very similar to the the first three letters of "arboreal". I knew this fact when I first encountered the word, however I'm not sure if I considered it.)

Here are some more examples of using context clues. In one passage in the official guide, I encountered 10 words I was either unfamiliar with or unsure about: metabolic, neurons, neurotransmitter, serotonin, compound, amino acid, tryptophan, insulin, tyrosine, leucine. I was still able to understand the passage and answer the questions because I used (1) what I already knew and (2) context clues to come up with a very good guess of what the words mean. Here's what I already knew:

(1) I remember hearing or reading that people who have a high metabolism eat a lot of food but don't gain weight. Subconsciously, I'm thinking, "metabolic" has something to do with eating or food.
(2) "Neurons" have something to do with the brain.
(3) Since the word "neurotransmitter" has the words "neuro" and "transmitter" in it, it must have something to do with the brain and transmitting.
(4) Serotonin has something to do with the brain. I once heard something like the brain releases serotonin when a person exercises, and that serotonin makes you feel good.
(5) A compound is a mixture of two things. I know it's a "science word".
(6) "Amino acid" and "insulin" are also science words. I know that people who have diabetes monitor their insulin level.

Here's what I subconsciously figured out by analyzing a combination of the context clues and what I already knew:
- metabolic processes have something to do with the body processing food
- neurons are located in the brain. They produce and release neurotransmitters (luckily, the word "neurotransmitters" was explicitly defined in the passage)
- seratonin is a neurotransmitter. In other words, it's a thing that is produced and released by neurons.
- tryptophan, tyrosine and leucine are amino acids (I still don't know what an amino acid is)
- insulin is a thing that is secreted by the body
- I'm still not sure what a compound is

Despite the fact that I wasn't 100% sure about what most of these words meant, I was still able to understand the central idea or essence of the passage. That's enough to answer questions correctly. If you don't know something, and I quote the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, "don't panic!"

I hope these examples helped.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
You're welcome, Joseph. I hope the strategy helps. I don't take notes on the RC section. I find that the following works extremely well for me: understanding as much as I can when I first read the passage and then rereading parts of the passage when answering questions. Also, I want to emphasize my two best strategies for the RC section:

1. It's important to refer to the passage before reading answer choices. Why? Because the test-makers often create very attractive incorrect answer choices. You're more likely to pick the wrong choice if you start reading the answer choices without having an idea (even if it's a faint idea) of what the answer should be. I learned this information while studying for RC questions on the LSAT, and it applies to the GMAT too. After reading the question and before reading the answer choices, reread the relevant part of the passage and do a little bit of analysis if necessary.

2. I often fall back on this strategy when none of the answer choices look good: eliminate the choices that sound bad and pick the best one I'm left with. This strategy works very well for me.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Send PM
Thank you, rjacobs :). I agree, getting the most out of the first read makes working through the questions easier.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
Thanks for explaining with examples H! Its really helpful :)
I will try out the context clues methodology tonight.

Do you take notes while going through the passage?
I take notes to help me stay focused, but i dont usually refer back to the notes to answer the questions, as i roughly remember the points in passage where the question refers to. Taking notes also help me understand the general idea of the passage, but its super time consuming!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
Referring to the passage first is a very interesting approach!
Thanks for the tips H, wish u had posted this earlier :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Send PM
You're welcome. I hope it helps. :)

Archived Topic
Hi there,
This topic has been closed and archived due to inactivity or violation of community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Where to now? Join ongoing discussions on thousands of quality questions in our Verbal Questions Forum
Still interested in this question? Check out the "Best Topics" block above for a better discussion on this exact question, as well as several more related questions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Retired Moderator
654 posts
Current Student
733 posts
Current Student
278 posts