Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 15:28 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 15:28

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 1484 [6]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Cornell (Bach. of Sci.), UCLA Anderson (MBA)
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72871 [6]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Re: Tips on timing and eliminating careless mistakes [#permalink]
Kudos
I'm surprised no one mentioned this. There's a wiki page by GMAT Club that has an entire page dedicated to common careless mistakes for each type of GMAT problem.

use the search tool: "GMAT_stupid_mistakes" or "stupid mistakes"
(I can't post links yet, sorry)

By the way, I was lucky to find the page while searching for "stupid mistakes" b/c I didn't when I initially searched "careless" or "silly".
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [1]
Given Kudos: 20
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V41
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
I think that this is my biggest problem. Without the pressure of a test I sometimes catch myself making as many as 3 simple arithmetic mistakes in one problem. Just last practice CAT that I took the question asked about the probability of choosing at least one ball (actually it wasn't a ball but that doesn't change the problem, and I forgot what it was), that is numbered more than 24 out of 3 bags each containing 28 balls. My strategy of the problem was correct. Take the probabilities that all of the bags DO NOT contain a ball numbered more than 24, multiply them and subtract them from 1. However, for some strange reason I had 25 for the number of balls that weren't numbered more than 24. So 1-24, was somehow 25 balls in my mind. So I ended up getting this: 1-(25/28*25/28*25/28). 25/28 can't get simplified. I ended up doing 25 cubed and 28 cubed. (Would've canceled out with a 24/28). I got some ridiculous number. I spent 5 minutes on it. I guessed. I actually guessed correctly. However, I took 5 minutes on a question that should have taken a minute-minute and a half maybe. Also there's no guarantee that a wild guess would give the correct answer. So it's possible that I waste a boatload of time AND get it wrong. Oh and I ended up short on time and had to guess a bunch of problems at the end. At least one of which I could've easily gotten right.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1649 [0]
Given Kudos: 60
GMAT 2: 680  Q48  V35 GMAT 3: 710  Q47  V41
Send PM
hookem324 wrote:
MGMAT 3: 680 Q47 V36
MGMAT 4: 740 Q47 V44
MGMAT 5: 680 Q44 V38

As for me, you've got 740 on your MGMAT 4 just because you had a rest between math & verbal part. Your stamina will be improved by the quantity of completed full tests (AWA).

Originally posted by DenisSh on 17 Sep 2009, 05:01.
Last edited by DenisSh on 17 Sep 2009, 11:30, edited 1 time in total.
Retired Moderator
Status:Accepting donations for the mohater MBA debt repayment fund
Own Kudos [?]: 1148 [0]
Given Kudos: 234
Concentration: Operations, Finance
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.54
WE:Accounting (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Honestly, across all the people I've talked to about the GMAT (both here and personally), time management seems to be the #1 thing that breaks people on the test.

A person will refuse to guess on a problem and spend too much time.
Or
A person will spend too much time per problem overall and run into a crunch at the end.

There is a reason the GMAT puts tight time constraints on the teat: It forces a HUGE split the scores. If people had more time, we would see scores skew up more. This is one of the many ways the normal distribution is maintained (w/mean score of 530 and 50 percentile ~550).

That's why the approach to the problem is key. One needs to be able to read a problem and have an approach to either solving it or how to break it down in 15-20 seconds.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Thanks everyone for the tips. I've got a couple of weeks to make some adjustments. One simple thing I will be doing that i didnt see mentioned is taking the optional breaks. I didnt even consider it, but I'm sure it will help me regroup and refocus for next section.

Thanks again.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 98 [0]
Given Kudos: 39
Send PM
hookem324 wrote:
Thanks everyone for the tips. I've got a couple of weeks to make some adjustments. One simple thing I will be doing that i didnt see mentioned is taking the optional breaks. I didnt even consider it, but I'm sure it will help me regroup and refocus for next section.

Thanks again.

I'd say optional breaks are THE most important things you shouldn't ignore. your efficiency drops dramatically after a couple of hours. So if u dont wanna screw up on Verbal Section, u'd better take those breaks.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1041 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
 Q49  V41
Send PM
Is there a thread on how to manage time for the verbal section in general?

The first time I did GMAT prep I finished quant with 2 mins but had 7 verbal questions with about 2 mins to go. Obviously my GMAT prep score sucked. Since then every CAT I've taken I've completely overcompensated and finished verbal early... which isn't necessarily good either.

Not sure if there's a thread on this, but because there is a difference in the time you would spend on an SC vs an RC are there guidelines on how to manage this?
Retired Moderator
Status:Accepting donations for the mohater MBA debt repayment fund
Own Kudos [?]: 1148 [0]
Given Kudos: 234
Concentration: Operations, Finance
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.54
WE:Accounting (Manufacturing)
Send PM
yangsta8 wrote:
Is there a thread on how to manage time for the verbal section in general?

The first time I did GMAT prep I finished quant with 2 mins but had 7 verbal questions with about 2 mins to go. Obviously my GMAT prep score sucked. Since then every CAT I've taken I've completely overcompensated and finished verbal early... which isn't necessarily good either.

Not sure if there's a thread on this, but because there is a difference in the time you would spend on an SC vs an RC are there guidelines on how to manage this?

Yangsta8,

Please see the following thread:
timing-strategies-on-the-gmat-80176.html
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 352 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Does anyone have other tips on how to eliminate careless mistakes?
GMAT Club Bot