GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Sep 2018, 16:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

To arrive at its destination on time, a bus should have main

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
To arrive at its destination on time, a bus should have main  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Nov 2010, 10:40
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

46% (01:56) correct 54% (02:05) wrong based on 517 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

To arrive at its destination on time, a bus should have maintained a speed of \(V\) kmh throughout its journey. Instead, after going the first third of the distance at \(V\) kmh, the bus increased its speed and went the rest of the distance at \((1.2)*V\) kmh. If, as a result, the bus arrived at its destination \(X\) minutes earlier than planned, what was the actual duration of the trip?

(1) \(V = 60\)
(2) \(X = 20\)

(C) 2008 GMAT Club - m10#8

Thanks!!!
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
P
Re: Question 8 in m10  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Nov 2010, 18:59
Knesl wrote:
hi,

can somebody help me with following question? I would need the explanation.
To arrive at its destination on time, a bus should have maintained a speed of \(V\) kmh throughout its journey. Instead, after going the first third of the distance at \(V\) kmh, the bus increased its speed and went the rest of the distance at \((1.2)*V\) kmh. If, as a result, the bus arrived at its destination \(X\) minutes earlier than planned, what was the actual duration of the trip?

1. \(V = 60\)
2. \(X = 20\)

* Statement (1) ALONE is sufficient, but Statement (2) ALONE is not sufficient
* Statement (2) ALONE is sufficient, but Statement (1) ALONE is not sufficient
* BOTH statements TOGETHER are sufficient, but NEITHER statement ALONE is sufficient
* EACH statement ALONE is sufficient
* Statements (1) and (2) TOGETHER are NOT sufficient

Thanks!!!

A trick used by GMAT is that they give you similar looking data in the two statements (e.g. in this question, value of one variable given in each statement) and you feel that either each alone will be sufficient or both together. But analyzing the data shows that only one statement is sufficient, the other is not.

The bus covers 1/3 of distance at speed V. The rest 2/3 at speed 1.2V

Usual time for the journey is, lets say, T hours, but it arrived in T - X/60 hours. (X is in minutes so you have to change it to hours)

Now, out of the usual T hours, in first 1/3rd of the journey, the bus takes T/3 hours. In rest 2/3rd of the journey, the bus usually takes 2T/3 hours.
During this particular journey, the bus took T/3 hours for the first 1/3rd of the trip (since it traveled at speed V) but for the rest 2/3rd of the trip, it took less time since it traveled at greater speed of 6V/5 (Convert decimals to fractions)
If speed becomes 6/5 of original, time taken will become 5/6 of original.
So time taken to travel 2/3rd of the trip is 5/6 * 2T/3 = 5T/9 hours

In this trip, the total time taken = T/3 + 5T/9 = 8T/9
So the X/60 hours that are saved are equal to T - 8T/9 = T/9

X/60 = T/9

Statement 1: Just V doesn't help. You need D too to get the value of T. Not sufficient.

Statement 2: Knowing just X is sufficient to get T as seen above. Sufficient.

Answer (B).

Karishma

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >

GMAT self-study has never been more personalized or more fun. Try ORION Free!

Most Helpful Community Reply
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B
Affiliations: SPG

Show Tags

New post 21 Jan 2011, 10:26

good question.
there's a difference of X "mins" by varying speed in the last \(\frac{2}{3}\) distance, so from the given info, we can write.

\(\frac{2D}{3V} - \frac{2D}{3*1.2V} = \frac{X}{60}\)

\(\frac{2D}{3V}(1 - \frac{1}{1.2}) = \frac{X}{60}\)

\(\frac{D}{V}= \frac{3X}{20}\)

Note: \(\frac{D}{V} =\) "actual duration" of the trip (and this is what we want to find).

1) we still don't know the value of X, so we can't calculate \(\frac{D}{V}\)

2) \(\frac{D}{V}= \frac{3*20}{20}\)

actual time = 3 hrs .... B is SUFFICIENT

press kudos, if you like the explanation, appreciate the effort or encourage people to respond.

Download the Ultimate SC Flashcards

General Discussion
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 22 Nov 2010, 10:50
D/v - D/1.2v = X

1.Given V=60 A is not sufficient since we have 2 variables to be resolved in the above equation
2.Given X=20 B is sufficient as-
D/v-D/1.2v = 20
Solving above equation, V is cancelled out leaving value for D which is sufficient.

Answer:- B
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 22 Nov 2010, 10:59
Thank you Sarang. your answer helped me
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 23 Nov 2010, 11:06
Karishma,
Awesome explanation
Thanks
Retired Moderator
B
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2011, 00:51
D - Distance.

D/V - D/3*1/V - 2D/3 * 1/(1.2V) = X

=> D/V(1 - 1/3 - 2/3 * 1/1.2) = X

From (1), V won't cancel out on it's own, so the answer is B.

Formula of Life -> Achievement/Potential = k * Happiness (where k is a constant)

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Math Expert
V
Re: To arrive at its destination on time, a bus should have main  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Jan 2014, 10:48
m10 q08

To arrive at its destination on time the bus should have maintained a speed of \(v\) kilometers per hour throughout the journey. Instead, after going the first third of the distance at \(v\) kilometers per hour, the bus increased its speed and went the rest of the distance at \(1.2v\) kilometers per hour. As a result, the bus arrived at its destination \(x\) minutes earlier than planned. What was the actual duration of the trip?

A bus covered 1/3 of the distance at \(v\) kilometers per hour and the remaining 2/3 of the distance at \(1.2v\) kilometers per hour.

Say the actual duration of the trip is \(t\) and the distance is \(d\);

Then \(t=\frac{(\frac{d}{3})}{v}+\frac{(\frac{d2}{3})}{1.2v}\) --> \(t=\frac{d}{v}*(\frac{1}{3}+\frac{2}{3.6})\) --> \(t=\frac{d}{v}*\frac{8}{9}\)

Also we know that if the speed throughout the journey had been \(v\) kilometers per hour the bus would need \(\frac{x}{60}\) hours more time to cover the same distance: \(t+\frac{x}{60}=\frac{d}{v}\);

Substitute \(\frac{d}{v}\) in the first equation: \(t=(t+\frac{x}{60})*\frac{8}{9}\). So, to get \(t\) we need to know the value of \(x\).

(1) v = 60. Not sufficient.
(2) x = 20. Sufficient.

Answer: B.

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2015, 06:53
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
Knesl wrote:
hi,

can somebody help me with following question? I would need the explanation.

1. \(V = 60\)
2. \(X = 20\)

* Statement (1) ALONE is sufficient, but Statement (2) ALONE is not sufficient
* Statement (2) ALONE is sufficient, but Statement (1) ALONE is not sufficient
* BOTH statements TOGETHER are sufficient, but NEITHER statement ALONE is sufficient
* EACH statement ALONE is sufficient
* Statements (1) and (2) TOGETHER are NOT sufficient

Thanks!!!

A trick used by GMAT is that they give you similar looking data in the two statements (e.g. in this question, value of one variable given in each statement) and you feel that either each alone will be sufficient or both together. But analyzing the data shows that only one statement is sufficient, the other is not.

The bus covers 1/3 of distance at speed V. The rest 2/3 at speed 1.2V

Usual time for the journey is, lets say, T hours, but it arrived in T - X/60 hours. (X is in minutes so you have to change it to hours)

Now, out of the usual T hours, in first 1/3rd of the journey, the bus takes T/3 hours. In rest 2/3rd of the journey, the bus usually takes 2T/3 hours.
During this particular journey, the bus took T/3 hours for the first 1/3rd of the trip (since it traveled at speed V) but for the rest 2/3rd of the trip, it took less time since it traveled at greater speed of 6V/5 (Convert decimals to fractions)
If speed becomes 6/5 of original, time taken will become 5/6 of original.
So time taken to travel 2/3rd of the trip is 5/6 * 2T/3 = 5T/9 hours

In this trip, the total time taken = T/3 + 5T/9 = 8T/9
So the X/60 hours that are saved are equal to T - 8T/9 = T/9

X/60 = T/9

Statement 1: Just V doesn't help. You need D too to get the value of T. Not sufficient.

Statement 2: Knowing just X is sufficient to get T as seen above. Sufficient.

Answer (B).

I almost got to the last step but could not arrive at the answer...can someone help..Pls...

my steps:

let distance = d
new avg speed = \(\frac{total dist}{total time}\) = \(\frac{3.4vd}{t-x}\)

equating the 2 distances

\(v*t = 3.4 V*d\)

t=3.4d

I got stuck here...
P

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2015, 09:23
robinpallickal wrote:

I almost got to the last step but could not arrive at the answer...can someone help..Pls...

my steps:

let distance = d

equating the 2 distances

\(v*t = 3.4 V*d\)

t=3.4d

I got stuck here...

I do not understand the expression 3.4vd/(t - x) and also how you arrived at it. Also, x is in minutes while speed is in miles per hour so t should be in hours. Hence t - x doesn't mean anything. It must be t - x/60.

Karishma

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 05 Aug 2015, 19:26
robinpallickal wrote:

my steps:

let distance = d

equating the 2 distances

\(v*t = 3.4 V*d\)

t=3.4d

I got stuck here...

I do not understand the expression 3.4vd/(t - x) and also how you arrived at it. Also, x is in minutes while speed is in miles per hour so t should be in hours. Hence t - x doesn't mean anything. It must be t - x/60.

I completely misread the question. My bad. Also I should have taken x in mins.

Thanks Karishma.

Originally posted by robinpallickal on 05 Aug 2015, 19:03.
Last edited by robinpallickal on 05 Aug 2015, 19:26, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student
S
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Kellogg '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE: Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2015, 19:24
robinpallickal wrote:
robinpallickal wrote:

my steps:

let distance = d

equating the 2 distances

\(v*t = 3.4 V*d\)

t=3.4d

I got stuck here...

Avg speed = \((\frac{v*d}{3} + \frac{1.2*d*2}{3})/(t-x)\)
= \(\frac{(v*d+2.4vd)}{(3(t-x))}\)

I think my mistakes are I did not carry forward 3 in the subsequent equations and did not convert x to minutes. Can you Pls. confirm.

Yes you are correct. In quant question rated to distance-speed or work-rate problems, always make sure that the rates, times or distances are cocnsistent throughout. Any deviation int he units will lead to incorrect answers.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GPA: 3.6
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2015, 10:20
I solved the question as below :

Distance = D + D + D ---------------------------- (Total distance = 3D)
Speed = V , 1.2V , 1.2V -----------------------------(Speed for each part)
Time = T + (5/6)T + (5/6)T -----------------------------(Time taken for each part)
Reduced Time = (1/6)T + (1/6)T

Using option B we know that the reduced time is 20 = (1/6T)*2
Hence B.
P

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2015, 21:23
NickHalden wrote:
I solved the question as below :

Distance = D + D + D ---------------------------- (Total distance = 3D)
Speed = V , 1.2V , 1.2V -----------------------------(Speed for each part)
Time = T + (5/6)T + (5/6)T -----------------------------(Time taken for each part)
Reduced Time = (1/6)T + (1/6)T

Using option B we know that the reduced time is 20 = (1/6T)*2
Hence B.

Great use of Speed-Time ratios!

Just note that it should be
20/60 = (1/6)2T

because 20 is in mins but everything else is in hours.

Karishma

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2015, 16:02
Question can be reformulated as: can you find the value of d/v?

T1 = d/v
T2 = 1/3*d/v + 5/6*2/3*d/v
(1/3 + 5/9)d/v
d/v*8/9
T2 = T1 - x/60

8/9*d/v = d/v - x/60

d/v - 8/9*d/v = x/60

1/9.d/v = x/60
d/v = 9*.x/60

From this we can conclude that the value of d/v can be obtained by knowing x or by knowing d&v together. Therefore statement 1 is sufficient and statement 2 is insufficient. Answer is A.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 29 Nov 2015, 11:12
Knesl wrote:

(1) \(V = 60\)
(2) \(X = 20\)

Thanks!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember, in case of inverse relationship such as this an increase of 1/x times of V (velocity) should be accompanied by a decrease of 1/(x+1) in T (time), so as to keep the overall value = V*T = distance constant.

There V -> 1.2 V hence V increases by 20% or 1/5 times, hence the time should be decrease by 1/6th time.

Now, it's already given that the 1/6th of T is X ( in other words the change in duration is already given where the T is the actual duration time)

thus (1/6) * T =X ; T=6X.

Hence just knowing X will give you the solution. So, here B itself is enough, but A is not enough. Answer - B.
Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 05 Sep 2018, 11:28
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

GMAT Club Bot
Re: To arrive at its destination on time, a bus should have main &nbs [#permalink] 05 Sep 2018, 11:28

To arrive at its destination on time, a bus should have main

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap