Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 14:49 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 14:49

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1466 [3]
Given Kudos: 235
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63649 [2]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V32
GPA: 3.26
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 435 [0]
Given Kudos: 229
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 590 Q49 V22
WE:Other (Retail)
Send PM
Re: To become an expert on a musical instrument, a person must practice. I [#permalink]
GMATNinja wrote:
rohitkabra1987 wrote:
Although i selected B which matches the OA , i am not clear about the logical flow to arrive at the correct option .Can the experts please pitch in ? Thank you !

The author's conclusion is that "if a person is an expert on a musical instrument, that person must have practiced for at least three hours each day." Let's examine the logical flow...

• "To become an expert on a musical instrument, a person must practice." - This statement gives a necessary condition. If you want to become an expert on a musical instrument, you MUST practice.
  • "If people practice a musical instrument for three hours each day, they will eventually become experts on that instrument." - This statement gives us a sufficient condition. If you want to become an expert on a musical instrument, practicing for three hours a day WILL allow you to achieve that goal. However, this is not necessarily the ONLY way to achieve that goal. For example, you might just be a gifted musical genius who can play the piano at an expert level with very little practice!
  • Therefore, the conclusion is flawed. Although practicing for three hours a day is one way to become an expert, it is not necessarily the only way (it is sufficient but not necessary). Choice (B) describes this flaw in the reasoning.

I hope that helps!

Hi GMATNinja, Option C also provides the same reasoning as does Option B.
Can you help and elaborate?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 58
Concentration: Marketing, Statistics
GMAT 1: 650 Q46 V34
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: To become an expert on a musical instrument, a person must practice. I [#permalink]
Confused between option A and option B
What makes option B stronger than option A
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 281 [1]
Given Kudos: 35
Concentration: Healthcare, General Management
Schools:
GPA: 3.75
WE:Pharmaceuticals (Health Care)
Send PM
Kudos
To become an expert on a musical instrument, a person must practice. If people practice a musical instrument for three hours each day, they will eventually become experts on that instrument. Therefore, if a person is an expert on a musical instrument, that person must have practiced for at least three hours each day.

Which one of the following most accurately describes a flaw in the reasoning above?

(A) The conclusion fails to take into account that people who practice for three hours every day might not yet have reached a degree of proficiency that everyone would consider expert. The underlined part makes the option B better than A

(B) The conclusion fails to take into account that practicing for less than three hours each day may be enough for some people to become experts.

Stimulus states: To become an expert in music one must practice and if one practices music for 3 hours a day he/she will become an expert in music. Therefore if a person is an music expert he or she may have practiced music for atleast 3 hours for a day. The word at least is the clue here.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 289 [0]
Given Kudos: 222
GPA: 3
Send PM
I've got one question about flaws. Maybe I lack some conceptual knowledge about Find the flaw questions, but nevertheless -
Don't Flaws in an Argument need to be internal? And doesn't a flaw only have to consider the given information?
Isn't assuming some musicians as gifted (which makes sense and probably is an obvious fact) external information?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63649 [0]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
rocky620 wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:
rohitkabra1987 wrote:
Although i selected B which matches the OA , i am not clear about the logical flow to arrive at the correct option .Can the experts please pitch in ? Thank you !

The author's conclusion is that "if a person is an expert on a musical instrument, that person must have practiced for at least three hours each day." Let's examine the logical flow...

• "To become an expert on a musical instrument, a person must practice." - This statement gives a necessary condition. If you want to become an expert on a musical instrument, you MUST practice.
  • "If people practice a musical instrument for three hours each day, they will eventually become experts on that instrument." - This statement gives us a sufficient condition. If you want to become an expert on a musical instrument, practicing for three hours a day WILL allow you to achieve that goal. However, this is not necessarily the ONLY way to achieve that goal. For example, you might just be a gifted musical genius who can play the piano at an expert level with very little practice!
  • Therefore, the conclusion is flawed. Although practicing for three hours a day is one way to become an expert, it is not necessarily the only way (it is sufficient but not necessary). Choice (B) describes this flaw in the reasoning.

I hope that helps!

Hi GMATNinja, Option C also provides the same reasoning as does Option B.
Can you help and elaborate?

Take another look at the conclusion of the passage:
Quote:
Therefore, if a person is an expert on a musical instrument, that person must have practiced for at least three hours each day.

The first piece of that sentence ("if a person is an expert on a musical instrument") places a condition on the conclusion. In other words, it limits the application of the second part of the sentence ("that person must have practiced for at least three hours each day"). So, the author is ONLY making an argument about people who are experts on musical instruments -- he/she has deliberately excluded any "non-experts" from the equation.

To assess the reasoning of the argument, we really only care about the actual argument that the author has made. What flaw does he/she make in drawing his/her exact conclusion from the evidence cited in the passage?

Here's (C):
Quote:
(C) The conclusion fails to take into account that if a person has not practiced for at least three hours a day, the person has not become an expert.

This answer choice does not address the argument actually made in the passage -- the author concludes that experts must have practiced for at least three hours each day. The fact provided in (C) may (or may not) be true, but because (C) makes a statement about a completely different group of people (non-experts), it cannot be a flaw in the reasoning of the passage as it is written. Eliminate (C).

devavrat wrote:
Confused between option A and option B
What makes option B stronger than option A

(A) can be eliminated for a reason similar to that we used to eliminate (C) above.
Quote:
(A) The conclusion fails to take into account that people who practice for three hours every day might not yet have reached a degree of proficiency that everyone would consider expert.

The author limits his/her conclusion to apply only to people who are already experts. Let's say that Joe picks up a bassoon practices for three hours each day for three days. After just a few days of practice, Joe is probably not an expert. So, it is entirely possible that "people who practice for three hours every day might not yet have reached a degree of proficiency that everyone would consider expert"!

However, can we say that the conclusion fails to take this into account? No, we can't -- the conclusion only applies to those already considered experts, so the fact that Joe is not yet considered an expert is not a flaw in the reasoning of the passage.

Contrast that with (B):
Quote:
(B) The conclusion fails to take into account that practicing for less than three hours each day may be enough for some people to become experts.

The author argues that if a person is an expert, that person MUST have practiced for at least three hours each day. In other words, there is only ONE path to expertise -- practicing at least three hours each day.

This conclusion is based on the evidence that if a person practices for three hours each day, that person will become an expert. Notice that this is only one POTENTIAL way that a person will become an expert, which leaves open the possibility of other paths to expertise. Maybe you're just a musical genius, or maybe you can sell your soul to the devil and become an expert fiddler after just an hour of practice.

The flaw in the reasoning of the passage is that the conclusion fails to account for these other ways to reach an expert level. By saying that all experts MUST have practiced for at least three hours a day, it (without justification) turns the potential path to expertise cited into the passage into the only path to expertise.

(B) is the correct answer.

I hope that helps!
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts