Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 15:05 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 15:05

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618806 [29]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
ISB School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 253 [12]
Given Kudos: 358
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
GPA: 2.88
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [2]
Given Kudos: 27
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 542 [2]
Given Kudos: 1656
Send PM
Re: To compare the lightning-fast genius of playwright Tom Stoppard with [#permalink]
Kudos
Unfortunately, I’m not an expert. However, I believe this is one of those examples in which Choice E is not necessarily grammatically incorrect, but the parallel structure of A is “better.”

Part 1 is comparing X of Y to A of B. To then switch over to using the possessive “ ‘s “ is “less parallel”, even if it is not entirely wrong.

At least, that’s what I’m taking away from this example.

Hopefully someone will weigh in.

Pallavi2020 wrote:
Can any expert explain this? GMATNinja daagh

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 101 [2]
Given Kudos: 227
Send PM
Re: To compare the lightning-fast genius of playwright Tom Stoppard with [#permalink]
Kudos
Whats the source of this question?

I think A is a little ambiguous. It could mean that we compare the "exquisite bouquet of a fine wine" with the "exquisite bouquet of ordinary grapejuice", and that doesnt make sense.

VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 201 [1]
Given Kudos: 332
Send PM
Kudos
(A) To compare the lightning-fast genius of playwright Tom Stoppard with the pedestrian efforts of some of his contemporaries is to compare the exquisite bouquet of a fine wine with that of ordinary grape juice. (Correct)

(B) To compare the lightning-fast genius of playwright Tom Stoppard with the pedestrian efforts of some of his contemporaries is comparing the exquisite bouquet of a fine wine with that of ordinary grape juice.

(C) Comparing the lightning-fast genius of playwright Tom Stoppard with the pedestrian efforts of some of his contemporaries is to compare the exquisite bouquet of a fine wine with that of ordinary grape juice.
-wrong comparison is made between the exquisite bouquet of a wine with grape juice
-demonstrative pronoun 'that of' should be inserted

(D) Comparing the lightning-fast genius of playwright Tom Stoppard with the pedestrian efforts of some of his contemporaries is like comparing the exquisite bouquet of a fine wine with that of ordinary grape juice.
-demonstrative pronoun 'that of' should be inserted

(E) To compare the lightning-fast genius of playwright Tom Stoppard with the pedestrian efforts of some of his contemporaries is to compare a fine wine’s bouquet with ordinary grape juice’s bouquet.
-Compared to a, this sentence just seems awkward, does someone have a specifically grammatical reason for why a is preferred?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 542 [1]
Given Kudos: 1656
Send PM
To compare the lightning-fast genius of playwright Tom Stoppard with [#permalink]
Kudos
I was thinking the same thing.....

If you substitute in the antecedent, it sounds like we’re comparing the “exquisite bouquet of fine wine” to the “bouquet of ordinary grape juice.”

It seems to me that referring to ordinary grape juice as a “bouquet”, exquisite or otherwise, is not what the author intended.

One is great, the other sucks. Labeling the one that sucks a “bouquet” just doesn’t seem to match what the author intended.

Manhattan GMAT’s and Veritas Prep’s questions seem to be more “GMAT like.” When choosing which sentences to practice, I believe there are more than enough 700 level questions from those 2 companies to fulfill the study requirements.

sid0791 wrote:
A is clearly parallel as compared to E, just a query, wouldn't "that" create an issue in A? (ambiguity)

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Hello, I eliminated quickly the answers and was struggling between answer A and E as the only difference is at the end with apostrophe s or not. Can someone explain why E is wrong please? thanks!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 88
WE:Consulting (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Can any expert explain this? GMATNinja daagh

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
A is clearly parallel as compared to E, just a query, wouldn't "that" create an issue in A? (ambiguity)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 4
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
This was a clear case of parallelism. "To compare .... is to compare .... " - it was the first point of filtering where i was left with option A and E. Further in both the options , the first part and second part of the comparison need to be parallel.

genius of Noun is not parallel with Noun's bouquet. Hence this makes A the correct option for me

GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts