GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Jun 2018, 04:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

To determine whether there are deposits of frozen water on

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 06 Apr 2005
Posts: 343
Location: USA
To determine whether there are deposits of frozen water on [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 11 Jul 2005, 04:37
1
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

43% (01:12) correct 57% (00:40) wrong based on 36 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

To determine whether there are deposits of frozen water on the moon, research scientists at NASA launched two unmanned satellites that orbited the moon's atmosphere, analyzing radar echoes from the lunar surface.

(a) analyzing
(b) as an analysis technique of
(c) to the analysis of
(d) to analyze
(e) a technique for analyzing

While this may seem to be a simple SC, I got this one wrong. Please explain your answers.

Thanks,
Darth

Originally posted by Darth_McDaddy on 09 Jul 2005, 10:32.
Last edited by Darth_McDaddy on 11 Jul 2005, 04:37, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 14 Jul 2004
Posts: 685
 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2005, 10:52
I'd say the AC is A. Here is why:

the phrase 'analyzing radar echoes from the lunar surface' acts as an absolute phrase modifying satellites.

because of the "," AC D is wrong. The phrase "to analyze" is left dangling per say. If the comma werent there i would have picked AC D perhaps.
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 30 Sep 2004
Posts: 1462
Location: Germany
 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2005, 12:47
E)...in A) it is not absolutely clear to what "analyzing" refers. satellites or scientists ?
_________________

If your mind can conceive it and your heart can believe it, have faith that you can achieve it.

Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 03 Nov 2004
Posts: 831
 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2005, 13:11
christoph wrote:
E)...in A) it is not absolutely clear to what "analyzing" refers. satellites or scientists ?


E makes it sound like satellite itself is a technique?
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 30 Sep 2004
Posts: 1462
Location: Germany
 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2005, 13:19
rthothad wrote:
christoph wrote:
E)...in A) it is not absolutely clear to what "analyzing" refers. satellites or scientists ?


E makes it sound like satellite itself is a technique?


i think that the launch of the satellites is the technique...
_________________

If your mind can conceive it and your heart can believe it, have faith that you can achieve it.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 06 Apr 2005
Posts: 343
Location: USA
 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2005, 15:37
gmataquaguy wrote:
I'd say the AC is A. Here is why:

the phrase 'analyzing radar echoes from the lunar surface' acts as an absolute phrase modifying satellites.

because of the "," AC D is wrong. The phrase "to analyze" is left dangling per say. If the comma werent there i would have picked AC D perhaps.


Hello gmataquaguy. Would it be possible for you to elaborate why Choice D is, in your opinion - wrong. I thought this SC was testing for parallel construction between "To determine" and "to analyze"

Thanks in advance
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 14 Jul 2004
Posts: 685
 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2005, 19:01
In order for parallelism to work you have to have "equal" elements. When i say "equal" i mean a "list" of nouns or verbs or "noun clauses", etc - you get the idea.

Here in this construct, when the sentence is "parsed",

To determine, whether there are deposits of frozen water on the moon, research scientists at NASA launched two unmanned satellites that orbited the moon's atmosphere, to analyze radar echoes from the lunar surface.

If "parallelism" were to work correctly, the construct in red would have to be equal [in terms of grammatical construction and "level" of hierarchy when you sentence diagram, etc. Also remember there isnt a conjuction in between the 2 seemingly parallel constructs ] to the construct in green

The "," after the atmosphere was a give way that "to determine" and "to analyze" arent parallel.

I'm curious what is the source of this question. I dont think there should be a "," after "to determine".

For more details on absolute phrases check the following link out:

http://webster.commnet.edu/grammar/phrases.htm#absolute
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 27 Dec 2004
Posts: 874
 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2005, 19:28
gmataquaguy wrote:
In order for parallelism to work you have to have "equal" elements. When i say "equal" i mean a "list" of nouns or verbs or "noun clauses", etc - you get the idea.

Here in this construct, when the sentence is "parsed",

To determine, whether there are deposits of frozen water on the moon, research scientists at NASA launched two unmanned satellites that orbited the moon's atmosphere, to analyze radar echoes from the lunar surface.

If "parallelism" were to work correctly, the construct in red would have to be equal [in terms of grammatical construction and "level" of hierarchy when you sentence diagram, etc. Also remember there isnt a conjuction in between the 2 seemingly parallel constructs ] to the construct in green

The "," after the atmosphere was a give way that "to determine" and "to analyze" arent parallel.

I'm curious what is the source of this question. I dont think there should be a "," after "to determine".

For more details on absolute phrases check the following link out:

http://webster.commnet.edu/grammar/phrases.htm#absolute


I don't think parallelism is what's tested here because there is no conjuction between the 2 phrases you have in green and red.
To analyze is a futher emphasis on what the clause "to determine" describes
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 11 Mar 2005
Posts: 705
 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2005, 10:43
Except E, all have problems.

(a) analyzing
- seems to indicate that moon's atmosphere is analyzing.

(b) as an analysis technique of

- just weird
(c) to the analysis of
- same as B
(d) to analyze
- participle phrase modifying what?? moon's atmosphere ??

(e) a technique for analyzing
Keep this. appositive modifying the technique.
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 18 Feb 2005
Posts: 653
 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2005, 16:15
riteshgupta1 wrote:
Except E, all have problems.

(a) analyzing
- seems to indicate that moon's atmosphere is analyzing.

(b) as an analysis technique of

- just weird
(c) to the analysis of
- same as B
(d) to analyze
- participle phrase modifying what?? moon's atmosphere ??

(e) a technique for analyzing
Keep this. appositive modifying the technique.


riteshgupta1: In the choice E isnt "a technique for analyzing" modifying "moon's atmosphere" ?? Actually I am confused here. I thought D would be the parallel stuff but I am lost at this point....Can you please clarify?
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 11 Mar 2005
Posts: 705
 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2005, 16:55
No gmat2me2, it does not modify the previuos noun.

It modifies the process defined in the previous clause.

Look closely at the 5 choices. All of the choices except E are trying to modify the closest noun they can modify, which in this case is "moon's atomosphere".

Lets look at each one of these.

A) analyzing : trying to modify moon's atomosphere. Can not be the case.
B) As, trying to create a new subordinate clause and is missing a verb. Net result, sentence fragment (missing a subject or verb or both).
C) to the analysis of - just plain weird construction
D) to analyse ; again a to-participle phrase acting as A is

E : What is left? You have a phrase, that has to modify something.
It can mosify 3 things: whole sentence, a nearest noun in the previous clause or start a phrase with a subject which has been discussed in the previous clause.

Hope it helps.
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 05 Apr 2005
Posts: 1678
Re: SC moon's satellite [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2005, 18:19
go with A as well.

E is tempting but the problem with E is that two unmanned satellites cannot be "a method".
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 06 Apr 2005
Posts: 343
Location: USA
 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2005, 04:27
1
I thank all of you for participating. The Answer is A. The source of this question is the Princeton Verbal Workout book

The OE is as follows:

You should use analyzing at the beginning of the phrase, because thats what the satellite did. Because NASA launched two satellites, it's incorrect to refer to them as a technique;eliminate B and E. C is incorrect because "to the analysis" is unidiomatic. And you can cross of D because to analyze is not complete. It would have been better if they had said used to analyze

Thank you very much gmataquaguy, you helped me clear my parallelism concepts.

I thought this fell under the parallelism of gerunds.
This example is straight from my notes

Gerunds go with gerunds, and infinitives go with infinitives. Don’t mix gerunds and infinitives.
Wrong: Skiing is as strenuous as to rappel down a cliff.
Right: To sky is as strenuous as to rappel down a cliff

That is why, I thought "to determine" is parallel to "to analyze".

Thanks
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 06 Apr 2005
Posts: 343
Location: USA
 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2005, 04:38
Hello gmataquaguy and the rest. I apologize for slipping in the comma after "to determine" inadvertently. If the comma threw you off track - please accept my sincere apologies. I have edited my original post to remove the unintentional comma.

Thanks,
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 11 Mar 2005
Posts: 705
 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2005, 08:12
Paul, hongshu, supercat, please pitch in

As far as I know,

There is no difference between "to-participle" and "ing participle". They can definetly be interchanged if doing so does not break the meaning of the sentence.

By this rule, to analyze and analyzing have the same meaning.

Let me change this sentence a bit.

To determine whether there are deposits of frozen water on the moon, research scientists at NASA launched two unmanned satellites, orbiting the moon's atmosphere and analyzing radar echoes from the lunar surface.
or
To determine whether there are deposits of frozen water on the moon, research scientists at NASA launched two unmanned satellites, to orbit the moon's atmosphere and to analyze radar echoes from the lunar surface.

So Tell me what am I missing here??
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 16 Jul 2009
Posts: 1263
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Re: [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jan 2011, 08:31
riteshgupta1 wrote:
Paul, hongshu, supercat, please pitch in

As far as I know,

There is no difference between "to-participle" and "ing participle". They can definetly be interchanged if doing so does not break the meaning of the sentence.

By this rule, to analyze and analyzing have the same meaning.

Let me change this sentence a bit.

To determine whether there are deposits of frozen water on the moon, research scientists at NASA launched two unmanned satellites, orbiting the moon's atmosphere and analyzing radar echoes from the lunar surface.
or
To determine whether there are deposits of frozen water on the moon, research scientists at NASA launched two unmanned satellites, to orbit the moon's atmosphere and to analyze radar echoes from the lunar surface.

So Tell me what am I missing here??


nobody is going to clarify this?
_________________

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit


GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 06 Jul 2011
Posts: 111
Re: To determine whether there are deposits of frozen water on [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jun 2013, 16:01
The answer to the problem is D.Check this one similar to the above question.

el-nino-the-periodic-abnormal-warming-of-the-sea-surface-26972.html
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 31 Mar 2013
Posts: 7
Re: [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2013, 03:13
Darth_McDaddy wrote:
I thank all of you for participating. The Answer is A. The source of this question is the Princeton Verbal Workout book

The OE is as follows:

You should use analyzing at the beginning of the phrase, because thats what the satellite did. Because NASA launched two satellites, it's incorrect to refer to them as a technique;eliminate B and E. C is incorrect because "to the analysis" is unidiomatic. And you can cross of D because to analyze is not complete. It would have been better if they had said used to analyze

Thank you very much gmataquaguy, you helped me clear my parallelism concepts.

I thought this fell under the parallelism of gerunds.
This example is straight from my notes

Gerunds go with gerunds, and infinitives go with infinitives. Don’t mix gerunds and infinitives.
Wrong: Skiing is as strenuous as to rappel down a cliff.
Right: To sky is as strenuous as to rappel down a cliff

That is why, I thought "to determine" is parallel to "to analyze".

Thanks


Can you please explain why to analyze "is not complete".....!!

Analyzing seems reasonable....but on what basis we opt out to analyze.
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 16 Jun 2012
Posts: 1079
Location: United States
Premium Member
Re: Re: [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2013, 15:39
1
AJ8348 wrote:
Can you please explain why to analyze "is not complete".....!!

Analyzing seems reasonable....but on what basis we opt out to analyze.


Hi AJ8348.

D is wrong for sure. Let me give you another example
The computer system was upgraded TO AVOID stealing information.

You think this sentence is correct or not? It's definitely wrong.When you see infinitive, let examine the subject. Make sure the main subject and the infinitive are sensible. Can the computer system avoid stealing info by itself? Not, It cannot. So, we can change the sentence like:

The computer system was upgraded TO KEEP IT from stealing information.

The problem in D is the same. Can two unmanned satellites analyze radar echoes? No, they cannot do so by themselves. D should be changed like: To be used for analyzing.......

Does it help?. Let me know.

Regards.
_________________

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMW Chief of Design.

Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 31 Mar 2013
Posts: 7
Re: Re: [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jun 2013, 03:31
pqhai wrote:
AJ8348 wrote:
Can you please explain why to analyze "is not complete".....!!

Analyzing seems reasonable....but on what basis we opt out to analyze.


Hi AJ8348.

D is wrong for sure. Let me give you another example
The computer system was upgraded TO AVOID stealing information.

You think this sentence is correct or not? It's definitely wrong.When you see infinitive, let examine the subject. Make sure the main subject and the infinitive are sensible. Can the computer system avoid stealing info by itself? Not, It cannot. So, we can change the sentence like:

The computer system was upgraded TO KEEP IT from stealing information.

The problem in D is the same. Can two unmanned satellites analyze radar echoes? No, they cannot do so by themselves. D should be changed like: To be used for analyzing.......

Does it help?. Let me know.

Regards.


Yes, it helps...Thanks for the explanation.
Re: Re:   [#permalink] 07 Jun 2013, 03:31

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 21 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

To determine whether there are deposits of frozen water on

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


cron

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.