Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 18:50 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 18:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 860 [36]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32843 [3]
Given Kudos: 5775
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 579 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 860 [1]
Send PM
Re: To determine whether there are deposits of frozen water on the moon [#permalink]
Kudos
I thank all of you for participating. The Answer is A. The source of this question is the Princeton Verbal Workout book

The OE is as follows:

You should use analyzing at the beginning of the phrase, because thats what the satellite did. Because NASA launched two satellites, it's incorrect to refer to them as a technique;eliminate B and E. C is incorrect because "to the analysis" is unidiomatic. And you can cross of D because to analyze is not complete. It would have been better if they had said used to analyze

Thank you very much gmataquaguy, you helped me clear my parallelism concepts.

I thought this fell under the parallelism of gerunds.
This example is straight from my notes

Gerunds go with gerunds, and infinitives go with infinitives. Don’t mix gerunds and infinitives.
Wrong: Skiing is as strenuous as to rappel down a cliff.
Right: To sky is as strenuous as to rappel down a cliff

That is why, I thought "to determine" is parallel to "to analyze".

Thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
Re: To determine whether there are deposits of frozen water on the moon [#permalink]
Darth_McDaddy wrote:
I thank all of you for participating. The Answer is A. The source of this question is the Princeton Verbal Workout book

The OE is as follows:

You should use analyzing at the beginning of the phrase, because thats what the satellite did. Because NASA launched two satellites, it's incorrect to refer to them as a technique;eliminate B and E. C is incorrect because "to the analysis" is unidiomatic. And you can cross of D because to analyze is not complete. It would have been better if they had said used to analyze

Thank you very much gmataquaguy, you helped me clear my parallelism concepts.

I thought this fell under the parallelism of gerunds.
This example is straight from my notes

Gerunds go with gerunds, and infinitives go with infinitives. Don’t mix gerunds and infinitives.
Wrong: Skiing is as strenuous as to rappel down a cliff.
Right: To sky is as strenuous as to rappel down a cliff

That is why, I thought "to determine" is parallel to "to analyze".

Thanks

Can you please explain why to analyze "is not complete".....!!

Analyzing seems reasonable....but on what basis we opt out to analyze.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8553 [4]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
AJ8348 wrote:
Can you please explain why to analyze "is not complete".....!!

Analyzing seems reasonable....but on what basis we opt out to analyze.

Hi AJ8348.

D is wrong for sure. Let me give you another example
The computer system was upgraded TO AVOID stealing information.

You think this sentence is correct or not? It's definitely wrong.When you see infinitive, let examine the subject. Make sure the main subject and the infinitive are sensible. Can the computer system avoid stealing info by itself? Not, It cannot. So, we can change the sentence like:

The computer system was upgraded TO KEEP IT from stealing information.

The problem in D is the same. Can two unmanned satellites analyze radar echoes? No, they cannot do so by themselves. D should be changed like: To be used for analyzing.......

Does it help?. Let me know.

Regards.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
I went for A because the modifier refers to satellites.

But I think E is fine also. Does anyone have a clear explanation on why E is wrong?
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 3801 [0]
Given Kudos: 182
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 540 Q45 V20
GPA: 2.49
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
gzsakuraz wrote:
I went for A because the modifier refers to satellites.

But I think E is fine also. Does anyone have a clear explanation on why E is wrong?

satellites orbited. how did they orbit? this how is explained by "the comma+analyzing" modifier. so A is correct.
E - what does 'technique" refer to? orbiting? launching? this choice is wrong because of no clear referant for this modifier.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GPA: 3.29
Send PM
Hi,

the Verb+ing modifier should modify the subject of the preceding clause. So in this case, isn't 'analyzing' modifying ' research scientists at NASA '? This will alter the intended meaning.
Am I missing anything here?
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 3801 [1]
Given Kudos: 182
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 540 Q45 V20
GPA: 2.49
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
daspri2809 wrote:
Hi,

the Verb+ing modifier should modify the subject of the preceding clause. So in this case, isn't 'analyzing' modifying ' research scientists at NASA '? This will alter the intended meaning.

Satellites orbited is the previous clause and analyzing refers to subject satellites and analyzing explains how satellites orbited.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
Send PM
1st action.. 2nd action.. ing, standard format, this is not a 700 level question IMO.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 183 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.99
WE:Engineering (Computer Hardware)
Send PM
daspri2809 wrote:
Hi,

I have the same question. Can experts clarify this doubt.

GMATNinja
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 183 [1]
Given Kudos: 57
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.99
WE:Engineering (Computer Hardware)
Send PM
Kudos
Isn't analyzing refering to the action launched. Verb-ing modifier can either modifier subject or the action of preceding clause. Here subject of preceding clause is scientists, and action is launched. The modifier modifies neither. Am i am wrong in my analysis?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 102
Send PM
SajjadAhmad wrote:
Official Explanation

You should use analyzing at the beginning of the phrase, because that’s what the satellites did. Because NASA launched two satellites, it’s incorrect to refer to them as a technique; eliminate B and E. C is incorrect because to the analysis is not idiomatic. And you can cross off D because to analyze is not complete. It would have been better if the sentence had said used to analyze

Answer: A

Hope it Helps

why does it not refer to the scientists at the beginning of the sentence? The ing structure could also describe the hole preceding clause instead of just the last part.
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5134 [3]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
To determine whether there are deposits of frozen water on the moon [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
ruchik wrote:
Isn't analyzing refering to the action launched. Verb-ing modifier can either modifier subject or the action of preceding clause. Here subject of preceding clause is scientists, and action is launched. The modifier modifies neither. Am i am wrong in my analysis?

There are two clauses to choose from, either of which could be modified by "analyzing radar echoes from the lunar surface."

One clause is "research scientists at NASA launched two unmanned satellites that orbited the moon's atmosphere."

It does not make sense to say that research scientists at NASA launched two unmanned satellites, analyzing radar echoes from the lunar surface.

The other clause is "that orbited the moon's atmosphere."

If we choose this second clause, we get "that orbited the moon's atmosphere, analyzing radar echoes from the lunar surface."

In this case the agent of "analyzing" is "that," which refers to "unmanned satellites."

Since it's fairly logical to say that unmanned satellites orbited the moon's atmosphere, analyzing radar echoes from the lunar surface, choice (A) works.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V27
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V37
Send PM
[quote="MartyTargetTestPrep"] Can you help me understand why Option D is wrong?
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5134 [0]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Expert Reply
numb007 wrote:
MartyTargetTestPrep wrote:
Can you help me understand why Option D is wrong?

The version created via the use of (D) is just slightly illogical because it doesn't really make sense that a satellite would "orbit ... to analyze."

By the way, does the moon have an atmosphere? and even if it does, would a satellite orbit the atmosphere? I don't think the answer to either of those questions is "Yes."
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
GMATNinja:

Why is 'to analyze' wrong? (Option D)

scientists launched unmanned satellites (that....) to analyze radar echoes from lunar surface.

'to analyze' here refers that scientists launched the unmanned satellites to analyze something. The meaning and construction looks good to me. What am I missing?
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts