Check GMAT Club Decision Tracker for the Latest School Decision Releases https://gmatclub.com/AppTrack

It is currently 24 May 2017, 13:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

To Josephine Baker, Paris was her home long before it was

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

9 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 330 [9] , given: 0

To Josephine Baker, Paris was her home long before it was [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Jun 2008, 06:18
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

62% (01:59) correct 38% (01:00) wrong based on 3751 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

To Josephine Baker, Paris was her home long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate, and she remained in France during the Second World War as a performer and an intelligence agent for the Resistance

A. To Josephine Baker, Paris was her home long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate
B. For Joshephine baker, long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate, paris was her home
C. Joshephine baker made Paris her home long before to be an expatriate was fashionable
D. Long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate, Josephine Baker made Paris her home
E. Long before it was fashionable being an expatriate, Paris was home to Josephine Baker
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Request Expert Reply
If you have any questions
you can ask an expert
New!
15 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 302 [15] , given: 0

Re: To Josephine Baker, Paris was her home long before it was [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Jun 2008, 09:18
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
This is parallelism question. Second part of sentence has "she" as subject and immediately followed by the verb in past tense. So first part should also have Josephine Baker as suject that should be immediately followed by past tense verb.

A. To Josephine Baker, Paris was her home long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate
This sentence has Paris as its subject and so incorrect.

B. For Joshephine baker, long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate, paris was her home
"paris was her home" and "for Josephine Baker" are redundant anyone of these two phrase is required.

C. Joshephine baker made Paris her home long before to be an expatriate was fashionable
"long before..." is an awkawrd construction.

D. Long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate, Josephine Baker made Paris her home
Seems correct.

E. Long before it was fashionable being an expatriate, Paris was home to Josephine Baker
"Paris" is subject of this sentence and "Being" is unnecessary.

Answer D.
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Schools: Oxford'10
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 218 [1] , given: 8

Show Tags

New post 02 Jun 2008, 07:03
This post received
KUDOS
note that in option C i have removed the second "expatriate" since i think its a typo

jimmyjamesdonkey wrote:
To Josephine Baker, Paris was her home long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate, and she remained in France during the Second World War as a performer and an intelligence agent for the Resistance

A. To Josephine Baker, Paris was her home long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate her is redundant, and this sentence makes it sound that "fasionable to be an expatriate" was something JB did/wanted. It has no clear referrent
B. For Joshephine baker, long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate, paris was her home what does "it" refer to?
C. Joshephine baker made Paris her home long before to be an expatriate was fashionable correct
D. Long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate, Josephine Baker made Paris her home "it" seems to refer to JB (the subject)
E. Long before it was fashionable being an expatriate, Paris was home to Josephine Baker "it" seems to refer to Paris (the subject)

C

*disclaimer, i am at work and don't have my OG, so i could be wrong :)
2 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 165 [2] , given: 0

Show Tags

New post 02 Jun 2008, 13:25
This post received
KUDOS
Two independent sentences are coordinated using “and”. The subject of the second sentence “She” and it would be clear if the Subject of the first sentence clarifies “She”.

A. To Josephine Baker, Paris was her home long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate [ Paris … and She … not clear and Parallel – eliminate it]
B. For Joshephine baker, long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate, paris was her home [ Paris … and She … not clear and Parallel – eliminate it]
C. Joshephine baker made Paris her home long before to be an expatriate was fashionable expatriate [o be an expatriate was fashionable expatriate – awkward – eliminate it]
D. Long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate, Josephine Baker made Paris her home [Hold it]
E. Long before it was fashionable being an expatriate, Paris was home to Josephine Baker [ Paris … and She … not clear and Parallel – eliminate it]

Answer: D
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 10

To Josephine Baker, Paris was her home long before it was [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2011, 00:07
This post was
BOOKMARKED
To Josephine Baker, Paris was her home long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate, and she remained in France during the Second World War as a performer and an intelligence agent for the Resistance.

(A) To Josephine Baker, Paris was her home long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate,
(B) For Josephine Baker, long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate, Paris was her home,
(C) Josephine Baker made Paris her home long before to be an expatriate was fashionable,
(D) Long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate, Josephine Baker made Paris her home,
(E) Long before it was fashionable being an expatriate, Paris was home to Josephine Baker,

As per my understanding the original meaning of the sentence is - To Josephine Baker, Paris was home long before..... So it has a feeling that it is her personal opinion. i.e. a personal thing for Josephine Baker.

But the OA is D. It changes the meaning of the sentence. It is looking at Paris from an author's point of view and not what Paris meant to Josephine Baker.

e.g. it is similar to saying

John likes drinking coffee (A)
Since coffee is very popular john drinks a lot of coffee (D)

I shortlisted A and D but due to change of meaning I picked A.
Please help me understand.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: IE'14, ISB'14, Kellogg'15
WE 1: 7 Yrs in Automobile (Commercial Vehicle industry)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 399 [1] , given: 50

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2012, 23:58
This post received
KUDOS
gmatmember85 wrote:
What does "it" refer to here in D??

I understand it's Paris but is there pronoun ambiguity?

IMO "it" works as a placeholder here. It is not referring to any noun.

Regards
SD
-----------------------------
Press Kudos if you like my post.
Debrief 610-540-580-710(Long Journey): http://gmatclub.com/forum/from-600-540-580-710-finally-achieved-in-4th-attempt-142456.html

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy
GPA: 4

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 2

Show Tags

New post 13 May 2013, 15:52
I eliminated D because of pronoun ambiguity. After reviewing the OA, it seems "it" can show up before its antecedent. So long as there is only one possible "antecedent" ? Is this the correct reasoning?

Alejandro LC
MMT - EGADE Business School 2013
SM - HEC Paris 2014

Starting your journey towards business school? My experience can help you...

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Followers: 190

Kudos [?]: 2098 [1] , given: 219

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2013, 01:28
This post received
KUDOS
fozzzy wrote:
What does "it" refer to in option D?

The construct

" it was fashionable to be an expatriate"

appears in every sentence. What does "it" refer to? Nothing in particular. Generally speaking when you see a pronoun, you should always check if it matches the subject it's replacing.

However in those types of sistuations - example: it is preferable to walk - it has no reference in the sentence.

Hope it's clear

It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.

Kant , Critique of Pure Reason

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT Date: 07-09-2014
WE: Supply Chain Management (Manufacturing)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 16

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2013, 02:22
Two independent sentences are coordinated using “and”. The subject of the second sentence “She” and it would be clear if the Subject of the first sentence clarifies “She”.

A. To Josephine Baker, Paris was her home long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate [ Paris … and She … not clear and Parallel – eliminate it]
B. For Joshephine baker, long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate, paris was her home [ Paris … and She … not clear and Parallel – eliminate it]
C. Joshephine baker made Paris her home long before to be an expatriate was fashionable expatriate [o be an expatriate was fashionable expatriate – awkward – eliminate it]
D. Long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate, Josephine Baker made Paris her home [Hold it]
E. Long before it was fashionable being an expatriate, Paris was home to Josephine Baker [ Paris … and She … not clear and Parallel – eliminate it]

Answer: D

Yours Kudos will help me to access CATs.... Your novelty i aspire for.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 27

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2013, 03:32
WHY C is wrong?

og explains that C is wrong because the inversion is aukward.

I infer that "to do " as subject is not prefered

and

it is+ adjective+ to do

is prefered.

is my thinking correct?, experts, please,explain this point.

If anyone in this gmat forum is in England,Britain, pls, email to me, (thanghnvn@gmail.com) . I have some questions and need your advise. Thank a lot.

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Followers: 64

Kudos [?]: 1400 [1] , given: 197

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2013, 03:47
This post received
KUDOS
vietmoi999 wrote:
WHY C is wrong?

og explains that C is wrong because the inversion is aukward.

I infer that "to do " as subject is not prefered

and

it is+ adjective+ to do

is prefered.

is my thinking correct?, experts, please,explain this point.

if you fit option C in sentence:

C. Joshephine baker made Paris her home long before to be an expatriate was fashionable expatriate,and she remained in France during the Second World War as a performer and an intelligence agent for the Resistance
is that sounds correct.
before it was fashionable to be an expatriate was fashinable expatriate.

i think clause cannot be the object of a sentence.
moreover an expatriate was fashinable expatriate==>this is completely awkward too.

about your doubt can you please elaborate what you wanted to say.

thanks

When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe ...then you will be successfull....

GIVE VALUE TO OFFICIAL QUESTIONS...

GMAT RCs VOCABULARY LIST: http://gmatclub.com/forum/vocabulary-list-for-gmat-reading-comprehension-155228.html
learn AWA writing techniques while watching video : http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat-analytical-writing-assessment
: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APt9ITygGss

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 72 [1] , given: 47

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 06 Jan 2014, 01:54
This post received
KUDOS
jimmyjamesdonkey wrote:

C. Joshephine baker made Paris her home long before to be an expatriate was fashionable expatriate

Betweem B and D:

B) "For Josephine.. Paris was her home" just doesn't sound right. We already know "her" refers to Josephine, and the addition of "her" in this place is just awkward. Also, the "for" in the beginning kind of distorts the intended meaning of the author.

D) First we're given an inessential clause, then Josephine is introduced and the rest of the underlined portion is parallel to "she remained in France" .. So D is correct
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
B
Followers: 2212

Kudos [?]: 7743 [1] , given: 291

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2014, 03:05
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
freakygeek wrote:
Hi e-gmat,

I am wondering if there are any other others in this sentence except the one that OG has pointed out, that is 2 independent clauses when connected by ', and' are most clear when their subject is same.

Can you please help me here ? Also, In D answer choice since opening modifier is about Paris, doesnt it seem to be modifying 'Josephin Baker' rather than Paris ?

Hi there,

Thank you for posting your query here.

The parallelism error between the two clauses seems to be the only grammatical error in option A, but you can also see this as a meaning issue. The subject of the sentence should be Josephine Baker, since the main point of the sentence is to tell us something about her. This focus is lost when Paris is made the subject of the sentence.

Modifiers about time periods tell us when the subject performed an action; they don't describe the subject itself. This modifier could theoretically be replaced by a modifier such as the following: In 1940, Josephine Baker made Paris her home. Here, the time period doesn't have to tell us more about the subject; it merely tells us about the time in which she performed a certain action. The modifier in option D functions in pretty much the same way: it tells us when Baker made Paris her home.

I hope this helps to clarify your doubts!

Regards,
Meghna

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

8 KUDOS received
Director
Director
S
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
Followers: 93

Kudos [?]: 459 [8] , given: 6

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2014, 04:12
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
jimmyjamesdonkey wrote:

Sentence presents two facts about JB-
1) To JB, Paris was her home long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate
2) she remained in France during the Second World War as a performer and an intelligence agent for the Resistance

Structure: Noun phrase, clause1 and clause2.
To Josephine Baker, Paris was her home long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate[/u], and she remained in France during the Second World War as a performer and an intelligence agent for the Resistance

JB is the subject of both the parts. "and" indicates parallelism and for meaning clarity, these clauses should be parallel. In other words, the subject pronoun "she" should refer to the subject noun of the preceding clause and hence JB should be the subject of the first clause.

A. To Josephine Baker, Paris was her home long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate- JB should be the subject of the former clause

'her' is redundant.

B. For Joshephine baker, long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate, paris was her home- JB should be the subject of the former clause

Structure: noun phrase, modifier, clause 1 and clause 2 - placement of introductory elements is bad

Structure: Clause 1 modifier and clause 2

The construction is reversed.

Structure: Modifier, Clause 1 and Clause 2- Looks good!

E. Long before it was fashionable being an expatriate, Paris was home to Josephine Baker- JB should be the subject of the former clause

Hope this helps!
Dolly Sharma
CrackVerbal

Enroll for our GMAT Trial Course here -
http://gmatonline.crackverbal.com/

Learn all PS and DS strategies here-
http://gmatonline.crackverbal.com/p/mastering-quant-on-gmat

For more info on GMAT and MBA, follow us on @AskCrackVerbal

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
B

Kudos [?]: 7743 [1] , given: 291

Show Tags

New post 06 May 2014, 10:20
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
jeetmech152 wrote:
Hi e-gmat,

Please explain what 'it' refers to in the opening modifier of correct choice.

and why ans choice C is incorrect.

Thanks,

Hi,

Thank you for your query. :)

I will certainly help you understand the correct choice and the use of “it” in the same. However, before I do that, I would like to request you to kindly provide me with your meaning and error analysis of the original sentence along with your analysis of the correct choice. If your answer is different from the OA, kindly include in your analysis the reasons for marking the alternate choice as the correct answer. Your analysis will help me in addressing not only this particular doubt but also any possible conceptual gap in your understanding. Hope you'll appreciate the same. :)

Regards,
Neeti.

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GPA: 3.8

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 36

Show Tags

New post 08 May 2014, 00:27
egmat wrote:
jeetmech152 wrote:
Hi e-gmat,

Thanks,

Hi,

I will certainly help you understand the correct choice and the use of “it” in the same. However, before I do that, I would like to request you to kindly provide me with your meaning and error analysis of the original sentence along with your analysis of the correct choice. If your answer is different from the OA, kindly include in your analysis the reasons for marking the alternate choice as the correct answer. Your analysis will help me in addressing not only this particular doubt but also any possible conceptual gap in your understanding. Hope you'll appreciate the same. :)

Regards,
Neeti.

Hi Neeti,

Here is the analysis:

Meaning: Long before a fashion to be an expatriate arrived, Josephine baker lived in paris(Which was her native place).
During WW2 she lived in France as a performer and an intelligence agent for the resistance.

Error analysis:
cl1: To Josephine Baker, Paris was her home long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate,and
cl2: She remained in France during the Second World War as a performer and an intelligence agent for the Resistance

S-V pairs are fine , Verb Tense--> All events in the sentence are properly set in the past, Pronoun-->in cl1 'it' is missing an antecedent., 'she' in cl2 clearly refers to J.B,
Modifier-->' Long before....expatriate' is correctly telling us abt when was paris home to J.B. ,
Parallelism-List in cl2 is parallel, No Idioms, Meaning is clear,
Others--> Her in cl1 is redundant , Subject of cl1 and that of cl2, which is not underlined, should refer to same entity i.e. J.B in this case, but the subject of cl1 is paris, which is an incorrect reference

POE:
A. To Josephine Baker, Paris was her home long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate - Wrong: for the above mentioned reasons.
B. For Josephine baker, long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate, Paris was her home - Wrong:This choice repeats the errors in choice A
C. Josephine baker made Paris her home long before to be an expatriate was fashionable - Correct: All the errors in original choice are rectified.
D. Long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate, Josephine Baker made Paris her home - Wrong: Pronoun 'it' has no antecedent.
E. Long before it was fashionable being an expatriate, Paris was home to Josephine Baker - wrong: J.B. should be subject of cl1, pronoun 'it' has no antecedent

With the analysis above, I selected choice C as the correct answer. However, the OA is choice D. Please let me know where did I falter in my analysis.
Thanks.
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
B

Kudos [?]: 7743 [2] , given: 291

Show Tags

New post 09 May 2014, 03:49
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
jeetmech152 wrote:
egmat wrote:
jeetmech152 wrote:
Hi e-gmat,

Thanks,

Hi,

Regards,
Neeti.

Hi Neeti,

Here is the analysis:

Meaning: Long before a fashion to be an expatriate arrived, Josephine baker lived in paris(Which was her native place).
During WW2 she lived in France as a performer and an intelligence agent for the resistance.

Error analysis:
cl1: To Josephine Baker, Paris was her home long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate,and
cl2: She remained in France during the Second World War as a performer and an intelligence agent for the Resistance

S-V pairs are fine , Verb Tense--> All events in the sentence are properly set in the past, Pronoun-->in cl1 'it' is missing an antecedent., 'she' in cl2 clearly refers to J.B,
Modifier-->' Long before....expatriate' is correctly telling us abt when was paris home to J.B. ,
Parallelism-List in cl2 is parallel, No Idioms, Meaning is clear,
Others--> Her in cl1 is redundant , Subject of cl1 and that of cl2, which is not underlined, should refer to same entity i.e. J.B in this case, but the subject of cl1 is paris, which is an incorrect reference

POE:
A. To Josephine Baker, Paris was her home long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate - Wrong: for the above mentioned reasons.
B. For Josephine baker, long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate, Paris was her home - Wrong:This choice repeats the errors in choice A
C. Josephine baker made Paris her home long before to be an expatriate was fashionable - Correct: All the errors in original choice are rectified.
D. Long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate, Josephine Baker made Paris her home - Wrong: Pronoun 'it' has no antecedent.
E. Long before it was fashionable being an expatriate, Paris was home to Josephine Baker - wrong: J.B. should be subject of cl1, pronoun 'it' has no antecedent

With the analysis above, I selected choice C as the correct answer. However, the OA is choice D. Please let me know where did I falter in my analysis.
Thanks.

Dear Jeet,

I am really happy to see your in depth analysis of the question. It shows how committed you are to learning the concepts and acing GMAT. :)

Let’s discuss the analysis presented by you.

Your Meaning analysis: Please contrast the meanings presented in the highlighted portions:
Long before a fashion to be an expatriate arrived, Josephine baker lived in paris(Which was her native place).

Intended meaning of the author:

This sentence starts off by telling us about a person called Josephine Baker. It says that she made Paris her home. When did she make Paris her home? She did so long before it became stylish to live as an emigrant. The author then goes on to give us additional information about Josephine Baker. We get to know that she lived in France throughout the Second World War. She lived there as an artist and as an intelligence agent for an agency called The Resistance.

Gap between your meaning analysis and the intended meaning of the author:

The point that you have missed is that Josephine baker wasn’t from Paris. Therefore, Paris couldn’t have been her native place. How do we know this? We know this because the author gives us enough context to establish the same. Look at how author gives us information about Josephine Baker. She considered Paris her home way before it was fashionable to be an emigrant.
Now how do you think the two pieces of facts (color-coded above) relate to each other? Why is the author saying that Paris was home to Josephine before it was fashionable to live outside one’s own country (i.e. as an expatriate)?

Let’s move on to analyzing the sentence structure break-up and the error-analysis presented by you:

This is how I would break the sentence in to various clauses:

• To Josephine Baker, Paris was her home
o long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate,
• and she remained in France during the Second World War
o as a performer and an intelligence agent for the Resistance.

So in all there are three clauses in the sentence above. The subject verb pairs are highlighted appropriately. The subject of the second clause is “it”. Now you have mentioned in your error analysis that “it” here lacks a referent. Let me ask you a question here : Does “it” always refer to something? For example, in the sentence It is raining, does “it” refer to anything in particular? The answer is no! The “it” here is what we call a dummy or placeholder “it” and one should not look for a referent for a dummy “it”. Let’s take a look at a couple of more sentences to where the dummy “it” has been used:

1. It is wise to invest your money in mutual fund.
2. Do you think it is important that we keep our promises?

As you can see, in both the sentences, “it” does not refer to anything in particular.

The second error, as hinted by you as well, is that here both the clauses can be made more structurally parallel. Ideally the sentence should have Josephine as the subject of the first clause and not Paris, since we are talking about her in both the clauses. In other words, Josephine is the focus of the sentence and not Paris.

Moving on, you have marked choice C as the correct answer; however, choice C is extremely awkward in its structure and cannot be a contender for the correct choice. There is no reason for us to write this:…long before to be an expatriate was fashionable

Look at choices C and D from fresh eyes. You now know that “it” acts as a dummy “it” in the original sentence and choice D. Accordingly, which choice would you prefer structurally? To help you think in this direction, I would like you to consider the following two sentences.

Which one would you prefer?

1. Long before to be an actor was fashionable, he started acting.
2. Long before it was fashionable to be an actor, he started acting.

Your analysis of other choices is OK, except at places where you have listed the lack of an antecedent for “it” as an error. Accordingly, choice D has no error. Also, the word “being” as used in choice E is not appreciated by the GMAT. To check wheer the use of "being" is considered correct by the GMAC, please refer to our article here: https://e-gmat.com/blogs/?p=3544

Hope the above discussion helps! :)

Regards,

Neeti.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 27

Show Tags

New post 12 Jun 2014, 19:49
jimmyjamesdonkey wrote:

C. Joshephine baker made Paris her home long before to be an expatriate was fashionable expatriate

this question is from og and worth discussing carefully. it is a hard one

"her" in A and B is redundant. this error is easy to explain but hard to find out on the test day

"for baker" in B should be close to "paris was her home" because this modifier modifies that main clause
"to do" is not prefered to be subject than the pattern "it is adjective/noun to do". that-clause, wh-clause and to-do phrase are not prefered to be subject than the pattern "it is adjeactive/noun to do". this is basic grammar point

"it is..doing" in E is not idiomatic.

If anyone in this gmat forum is in England,Britain, pls, email to me, (thanghnvn@gmail.com) . I have some questions and need your advise. Thank a lot.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 54

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2014, 04:29
jimmyjamesdonkey wrote:

This question is formatted differently than the one in OG13. The comma before "and she remained" is actually underlined as well. Technically, this doesn't matter because all the answer choices have a comma at the end, but it kind of threw me off. I was looking for Modifier, Clause 1 + and + Clause 2. Instead, D was the closest one but still seemed off because it was ", and".

Is there a rule for this? Or does it not matter? I thought that you couldn't just add unnecessary commas before conjunctions like "I was hungry, and tired." The comma doesn't seem necessary in D. I would have chosen D without any doubts if it was "Long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate, Josephine Baker made Paris her home and she remained in France during the Second World War as a performer and an intelligence agent for the Resistance".
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: EnterMBA (https://www.facebook.com/entermba)
GRE 1: 2280 Q790 V710
GPA: 3.3
WE: Editorial and Writing (Education)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 94 [1] , given: 4

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2014, 11:32
This post received
KUDOS
Dear newbornmuse,

Your point about not adding unnecessary commas before conjunctions is correct. However, not putting a comma before "and she remained" can change the meaning. The change in meaning is quite subtle.

You mention that you were looking for Modifier, Clause 1 and Clause 2. In this construction, there is nothing to suggest that the modifier cannot apply to BOTH Clause 1 and Clause 2. The comma makes the modifier apply to only Clause 1.

Let's read D without the comma:
Long before it was fashionable to blah-blah, Josephine Baker "made" blah-blah and she "remained" blah-blah.

Do you see the difference in meaning?

--Prasad

--Prasad
EnterMBA

Re: To Josephine Baker, Paris was her home long before it was   [#permalink] 19 Jun 2014, 11:32

Go to page    1   2   3    Next  [ 41 posts ]