GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 25 Apr 2019, 16:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

To lay cable to remote areas would be prohibitively expensive

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
To lay cable to remote areas would be prohibitively expensive  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2015, 14:04
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

43% (01:46) correct 57% (01:49) wrong based on 335 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

To lay cable to remote areas would be prohibitively expensive since the number of customers served by such cable lines would be too small for the cable company to make a profit. Microwave cable service is a good alternative for use in remote areas because the signal is sent through the air and cables are unnecessary. However, microwave cable service should not become standard practice in non-remote areas, because the long-term effects of microwaves are not known.

Which of the following is the best conclusion to the statements above?

[*]Microwave technology should be regulated by the government indefinitely.

[*]Residents of remote areas must take precautions to mitigate the potential danger of microwaves.

[*]Most residents of non-remote areas will not want to change their existing service to microwave service.

[*]Microwave cable service is safe enough for use in remote areas.

[*]Microwaves are potentially more dangerous in urban areas than in suburban areas.

"Yeah, you can get a nickel for boosting Starfall, but jacking Heal's a ten-day stint in county.
Now lifting Faerie Fire, they just let you go for that — it's not even worth the paperwork.
But Reincarnation, man! That'll get you life!"
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G
Re: To lay cable to remote areas would be prohibitively expensive  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2015, 17:04
Subanta wrote:
To lay cable to remote areas would be prohibitively expensive since the number of customers served by such cable lines would be too small for the cable company to make a profit. Microwave cable service is a good alternative for use in remote areas because the signal is sent through the air and cables are unnecessary. However, microwave cable service should not become standard practice in non-remote areas, because the long-term effects of microwaves are not known.

(A) Microwave technology should be regulated by the government indefinitely.

(B) Residents of remote areas must take precautions to mitigate the potential danger of microwaves.

(C) Most residents of non-remote areas will not want to change their existing service to microwave service.

(D) Microwave cable service is safe enough for use in remote areas.

(E) Microwaves are potentially more dangerous in urban areas than in suburban areas.

Dear Subanta,
I'm happy to respond. :-)

To be honest, this is a poor question. It is not up to GMAT standards. A good GMAT question has an indisputably clear correct answer and four other choices, each of which is wrong for a unambiguously discernible reason.

In this question, we can clearly eliminate (A), and either (C) or (E) would be hard to support, but there are valid arguments for both (B) & (D). I could imagine very clear arguments about why either one is better than the other. There is not an unambiguous reason to dismiss either. This is a poor question. Also, see this review:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/princeton- ... ok-review/

You will not make substantial practice if you use low quality practice questions. Here's a high quality GMAT CR practice question:
http://gmat.magoosh.com/questions/3746

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, International Business

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2015, 10:45
mikemcgarry wrote:
Subanta wrote:

(A) Microwave technology should be regulated by the government indefinitely.

(B) Residents of remote areas must take precautions to mitigate the potential danger of microwaves.

(C) Most residents of non-remote areas will not want to change their existing service to microwave service.

(D) Microwave cable service is safe enough for use in remote areas.

(E) Microwaves are potentially more dangerous in urban areas than in suburban areas.

Dear Subanta,
I'm happy to respond. :-)

To be honest, this is a poor question. It is not up to GMAT standards. A good GMAT question has an indisputably clear correct answer and four other choices, each of which is wrong for a unambiguously discernible reason.

In this question, we can clearly eliminate (A), and either (C) or (E) would be hard to support, but there are valid arguments for both (B) & (D). I could imagine very clear arguments about why either one is better than the other. There is not an unambiguous reason to dismiss either. This is a poor question. Also, see this review:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/princeton- ... ok-review/

You will not make substantial practice if you use low quality practice questions. Here's a high quality GMAT CR practice question:
http://gmat.magoosh.com/questions/3746

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Thanks Mike! I have found this forum to be far more useful than my Princeton study materials!

"Yeah, you can get a nickel for boosting Starfall, but jacking Heal's a ten-day stint in county.
Now lifting Faerie Fire, they just let you go for that — it's not even worth the paperwork.
But Reincarnation, man! That'll get you life!"
Non-Human User

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2017, 22:53
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: To lay cable to remote areas would be prohibitively expensive   [#permalink] 23 Jul 2017, 22:53

To lay cable to remote areas would be prohibitively expensive

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap