GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 24 May 2019, 14:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

To make figures appear to exist in space on a two-dimensional....

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 560 Q41 V26
GMAT 2: 550 Q43 V23
GMAT 3: 650 Q47 V33
GPA: 2.61
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
CAT Tests
To make figures appear to exist in space on a two-dimensional....  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Apr 2019, 21:01
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

74% (01:55) correct 26% (01:38) wrong based on 38 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

To make figures appear to exist in space on a two-dimensional surface, a few artists in the Renaissance art period developed a system of one-point perspective, a mathematical system where all edges and forms follow orthogonal lines converging on a single point.

(A) figures appear to exist in space on a two-dimensional surface, a few artists in the Renaissance art period developed a system of one point perspective, a mathematical system where all edges and forms
(B) figures appear to exist in space, a few artists in the Renaissance art period developed a system of one point perspective on a two-dimensional surface, a mathematical system where all edges and forms
(C) figures on a two-dimensional surface appear to exist in space, a few artists in the Renaissance art period developed a system of one point perspective, a mathematical system in which all edges and forms
(D) figures appear to exist in space on a two-dimensional surface, a few artists in the Renaissance art period developed a system of one point perspective, which is a mathematical system where each edge and form
(E) figures on a two-dimensional surface appear as if they are existing in space, a system of one point perspective was developed by a few artists in the Renaissance art period, a mathematical system where each edge and form
Math Expert
V
Re: To make figures appear to exist in space on a two-dimensional....  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2019, 00:49
dcummins wrote:
To make figures appear to exist in space on a two-dimensional surface, a few artists in the Renaissance art period developed a system of one-point perspective, a mathematical system where all edges and forms follow orthogonal lines converging on a single point.

(A) figures appear to exist in space on a two-dimensional surface, a few artists in the Renaissance art period developed a system of one point perspective, a mathematical system where all edges and forms
(B) figures appear to exist in space, a few artists in the Renaissance art period developed a system of one point perspective on a two-dimensional surface, a mathematical system where all edges and forms
(C) figures on a two-dimensional surface appear to exist in space, a few artists in the Renaissance art period developed a system of one point perspective, a mathematical system in which all edges and forms
(D) figures appear to exist in space on a two-dimensional surface, a few artists in the Renaissance art period developed a system of one point perspective, which is a mathematical system where each edge and form
(E) figures on a two-dimensional surface appear as if they are existing in space, a system of one point perspective was developed by a few artists in the Renaissance art period, a mathematical system where each edge and form

In such questions, where the underlined portion is almost the entire of the sentence, SCAN the choices..

(I) The first difference is ' placement of prepositional modifier on a two-dimensional surface'. It should be next to figures as it modifies the word figure..
So, figures on a two-dimensional surface appear to exist in space is correct.
Only C and E are left.

(II) E has many other flaws - one being the modifier issue : Absolute modifier - a mathematical..- should be next to system of one point perspective.

C
G
CAT Tests
Re: To make figures appear to exist in space on a two-dimensional....  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2019, 01:03
chetan2u wrote:
dcummins wrote:

In such questions, where the underlined portion is almost the entire of the sentence, SCAN the choices..

(I) The first difference is ' placement of prepositional modifier on a two-dimensional surface'. It should be next to figures as it modifies the word figure..
Only C and E are left.

(II) E has many other flaws - one being the modifier issue : Absolute modifier - a mathematical..- should be next to system of one point perspective.

C

No offense, but this is a horrendous explanation.

Pretty much every answer choice can be eliminated for a simple reason: incorrect use of Where

You can also argue that A and E are awkward in their use of prepositional phrases and passive constructions, respectively, but it's very simple to eliminate based on the first split.

Rule: Where can only refer to a place. For other cases, use in which
Incorrect example: The company where I work is profitable
Correct example: The company in which i work is profitable
Correct example of Where: The town where I'm from is located in Australia.
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2019, 01:16
dcummins wrote:
chetan2u wrote:
dcummins wrote:

Only C and E are left.

C

No offense, but this is a horrendous explanation.

Pretty much every answer choice can be eliminated for a simple reason: incorrect use of Where

You can also argue that A and E are awkward in their use of prepositional phrases and passive constructions, respectively, but it's very simple to eliminate based on the first split.

Rule: Where can only refer to a place. For other cases, use in which
Incorrect example: The company where I work is profitable
Correct example: The company in which i work is profitable
Correct example of Where: The town where I'm from is located in Australia.

Buddy, good that you know some other reason to eliminate the choices but does that mean any other errors are horrendous.

Just mentioning some absurd words does not belittle the errors in the choices. If you have found explanation not to your liking, just move on.

Are you trying to say the faults I have mentioned are actually not errors.

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2019, 21:42
generis aragonn hazelnut

Could you please unban me?

I simply disagreed with Chetan (Above - he deleted my post) and he banned me. I need to retrieve my error log from my account - this data is invaluable to me and my exam is within a month, so I cannot afford to wait for the unban, which will happen in a month also.
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2019, 22:02
Hubert1 wrote:
generis aragonn hazelnut

I simply disagreed with Chetan (Above - he deleted my post) and he banned me. I need to retrieve my error log from my account - this data is invaluable to me and my exam is within a month, so I cannot afford to wait for the unban, which will happen in a month also.

You can be banned again as you have given yourself kudos. From this account.
But the purpose of this forum is to learn and spread knowledge. In that sense, I would request you to be more polite in your posts. As far as other moderators are concerned, I am sure we all respect each other's view, so noone will reverse the decision without taking each other in confidence. You were not merely disagreeing but indulging in avoidable tussle.
I would request you to be more constructive in your posts, and concentrate on improving your score, rather than indulging in infructuous posts. I'll try to unban you, as I too understand the value of that to you.
Regards

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2019, 22:08
Hubert1 wrote:
generis aragonn hazelnut

You can log in to your previous account.
G
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2019, 23:26
Respectfully, I was quite shocked that you banned me for simply disagreeing, but perhaps I'm more direct than what people are accustomed to, so I'll take your advice and be more conscious about how I deliver my responses.

We're all trying to make it here.

Thanks for the unban.
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 14 Apr 2019, 03:25
dcummins wrote:
Respectfully, I was quite shocked that you banned me for simply disagreeing, but perhaps I'm more direct than what people are accustomed to, so I'll take your advice and be more conscious about how I deliver my responses.

Thanks for the unban.

Sorry, you were not straightforward and don't try to project yourself victim of that, you were unnecessarily trying to make a point where there was none and being discourteous to fellow members. You are at V 25-26, so use this forum to improve, rather than getting into unnecessary posts. Not necessarily, what you find ridiculous, others do find and what you find more important may not be same for others. It will be easy for others to understand placement of prepositional phrases , and it is tested more regularly than difference in where and in which.
If you know something add it rather than thinking my way is the only way. Leave this here and move on with your preparation in a way it improves you.
G
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 14 Apr 2019, 03:43
chetan2u wrote:
dcummins wrote:

Thanks for the unban.

Sorry, you were not straightforward and don't try to project yourself victim of that, you were unnecessarily trying to make a point where there was none and being discourteous to fellow members. You are at V 25-26, so use this forum to improve, rather than getting into unnecessary posts. Not necessarily, what you find ridiculous, others do find and what you find more important may not be same for others. It will be easy for others to understand placement of prepositional phrases , and it is tested more regularly than difference in where and in which.
If you know something add it rather than thinking my way is the only way. Leave this here and move on with your preparation in a way it improves you.

Wow... aren't you meant to be an admin? This kind of condescending response is disgusting and just makes myself and others not want to participate in the forums. bb please read.

The funny thing is I was extremely straight forward - so much in fact that you couldn't palate it and decided to ban me. That's really immature.

I told you I would be more mindful in posting and you go ahead and spit what I said back in my face with this childish response.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: To make figures appear to exist in space on a two-dimensional....   [#permalink] 14 Apr 2019, 03:43

To make figures appear to exist in space on a two-dimensional....

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap