GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Jan 2019, 17:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in January
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • GMAT Club Tests are Free & Open for Martin Luther King Jr.'s Birthday!

January 21, 2019

January 21, 2019

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Mark your calendars - All GMAT Club Tests are free and open January 21st for celebrate Martin Luther King Jr.'s Birthday.
  • The winners of the GMAT game show

January 22, 2019

January 22, 2019

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

In case you didn’t notice, we recently held the 1st ever GMAT game show and it was awesome! See who won a full GMAT course, and register to the next one.

To prevent a newly built dam on the Chiff River from blocking the rout

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V27
GPA: 4
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: To prevent a newly built dam on the Chiff River from blocking the rout  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2018, 01:52
VeritasKarishma wrote:
sriramsundaram91 wrote:
I guess my brain is demented. Can anyone help this demented brain understand why option A to be wrong?
I have read the experts reply. I am still not able to digest why A is wrong? Fish that have migrated upstream breeding grounds don't return the chiff river again.
If there were several thousand fishes and if they had already migrated(they would not want to go downstream for some reason). Only a few would have been left. These few would try to migrate using the fish pass thus attributing to the fewer fish that use the fish pass.

Every year, during spawning season, several 1000s of fish swim upriver to breeding grounds.
This happens during every spawning season. If the fish that have migrated do not come back, they do not come back every season. But still 1000s of fish swim upriver every day in every spawning season.

But in this spawning season (the first one after the dam got constructed), only 300 fish are swimming upriver. So either there is a problem with the fish pass or there are fewer fish or something else. Certainly, the new dam has had some impact this season.

I understand now; the fewer fish do not guarantee that there is no problem with the construction of the fish pass.
Simple yet,powerful Idea! Thanks.
Intern
Intern
B
To prevent a newly built dam on the Chiff River from blocking the rout  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Dec 2018, 04:38
I used Pre-thinking technique, Now the issue is that the first thought I had was that there might have been a population decline because once the migration was done the fish never came back to their originating position. In such a scenario why option A is wrong?
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
D
Re: To prevent a newly built dam on the Chiff River from blocking the rout  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Dec 2018, 04:46
amansharma2988 wrote:
I used Pre-thinking technique, Now the issue is that the first thought I had was that there might have been a population decline because once the migration was done the fish never came back to their originating position. In such a scenario why option A is wrong?

Note the tone of the argument:

Before the construction of the dam and fish pass, several thousand fish a day swam upriver during spawning season. But in the first season after the project's completion, only 300 per day made the journey.

During spawning season, several 1000 fish used to swim upriver as a habitual thing. It used to happen in every spawning season. So this was not causing decrease in population. The change happened only after the project's completion.

Karishma

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >

Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 570 Q43 V26
GMAT 2: 660 Q48 V34
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 26 Dec 2018, 06:00
Thanks GMATNinja and VeritasKarishma for the wonderful explanations. It helped me rule out E to an extent.

I have made up a pictorial visualisation for this question, to understand it properly.
If possible, could you please assess the validity of the understanding as attached :)

My small query is:

There are two scenarios:

Before the construction of the dam and fish pass, several thousand fish a day swam upriver during spawning season

But in the first season after the project’s completion, only 300 per day made the journey.

Here we have FIRST SEASON and SPAWNING SEASON. Are they both same? How?
Attachments

File comment: Pictorial representation of the explanation.
OG_VR_Fish.PNG
OG_VR_Fish.PNG [ 273.32 KiB | Viewed 107 times ]

D

Show Tags

New post 01 Jan 2019, 05:47
rish2708 wrote:
Thanks GMATNinja and VeritasKarishma for the wonderful explanations. It helped me rule out E to an extent.

I have made up a pictorial visualisation for this question, to understand it properly.
If possible, could you please assess the validity of the understanding as attached :)

My small query is:

There are two scenarios:

Before the construction of the dam and fish pass, several thousand fish a day swam upriver during spawning season

But in the first season after the project’s completion, only 300 per day made the journey.

Here we have FIRST SEASON and SPAWNING SEASON. Are they both same? How?

Yes, we are talking about only one season and that is the spawning season. The first season after the dam opens means first spawning season.

Karishma

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >

GMAT Club Bot
Re: To prevent a newly built dam on the Chiff River from blocking the rout &nbs [#permalink] 01 Jan 2019, 05:47

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 25 posts ] 

To prevent a newly built dam on the Chiff River from blocking the rout

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap