GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Oct 2019, 02:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

To prevent a newly built dam on the Chiff River from blocking the rout

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V27
GPA: 4
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: To prevent a newly built dam on the Chiff River from blocking the rout  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2018, 02:52
VeritasKarishma wrote:
sriramsundaram91 wrote:
I guess my brain is demented. Can anyone help this demented brain understand why option A to be wrong?
I have read the experts reply. I am still not able to digest why A is wrong? Fish that have migrated upstream breeding grounds don't return the chiff river again.
If there were several thousand fishes and if they had already migrated(they would not want to go downstream for some reason). Only a few would have been left. These few would try to migrate using the fish pass thus attributing to the fewer fish that use the fish pass.

Every year, during spawning season, several 1000s of fish swim upriver to breeding grounds.
This happens during every spawning season. If the fish that have migrated do not come back, they do not come back every season. But still 1000s of fish swim upriver every day in every spawning season.

But in this spawning season (the first one after the dam got constructed), only 300 fish are swimming upriver. So either there is a problem with the fish pass or there are fewer fish or something else. Certainly, the new dam has had some impact this season.

I understand now; the fewer fish do not guarantee that there is no problem with the construction of the fish pass.
Simple yet,powerful Idea! Thanks.
Intern
Intern
B
To prevent a newly built dam on the Chiff River from blocking the rout  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Dec 2018, 05:38
I used Pre-thinking technique, Now the issue is that the first thought I had was that there might have been a population decline because once the migration was done the fish never came back to their originating position. In such a scenario why option A is wrong?
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
V
Re: To prevent a newly built dam on the Chiff River from blocking the rout  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Dec 2018, 05:46
amansharma2988 wrote:
I used Pre-thinking technique, Now the issue is that the first thought I had was that there might have been a population decline because once the migration was done the fish never came back to their originating position. In such a scenario why option A is wrong?

Note the tone of the argument:

Before the construction of the dam and fish pass, several thousand fish a day swam upriver during spawning season. But in the first season after the project's completion, only 300 per day made the journey.

During spawning season, several 1000 fish used to swim upriver as a habitual thing. It used to happen in every spawning season. So this was not causing decrease in population. The change happened only after the project's completion.

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >
Manager
Manager
G
GMAT 1: 570 Q43 V26
GMAT 2: 660 Q48 V34

Show Tags

New post 26 Dec 2018, 07:00
Thanks GMATNinja and VeritasKarishma for the wonderful explanations. It helped me rule out E to an extent.

I have made up a pictorial visualisation for this question, to understand it properly.
If possible, could you please assess the validity of the understanding as attached :)

My small query is:

There are two scenarios:

Before the construction of the dam and fish pass, several thousand fish a day swam upriver during spawning season

But in the first season after the project’s completion, only 300 per day made the journey.

Here we have FIRST SEASON and SPAWNING SEASON. Are they both same? How?
Attachments

File comment: Pictorial representation of the explanation.
OG_VR_Fish.PNG
OG_VR_Fish.PNG [ 273.32 KiB | Viewed 457 times ]

Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
V

Show Tags

New post 01 Jan 2019, 06:47
rish2708 wrote:
Thanks GMATNinja and VeritasKarishma for the wonderful explanations. It helped me rule out E to an extent.

I have made up a pictorial visualisation for this question, to understand it properly.
If possible, could you please assess the validity of the understanding as attached :)

My small query is:

There are two scenarios:

Before the construction of the dam and fish pass, several thousand fish a day swam upriver during spawning season

But in the first season after the project’s completion, only 300 per day made the journey.

Here we have FIRST SEASON and SPAWNING SEASON. Are they both same? How?

Yes, we are talking about only one season and that is the spawning season. The first season after the dam opens means first spawning season.

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)

Show Tags

New post 31 May 2019, 15:19
Oof. GMATNinja - thank you for your detailed explanations, as always. This question was one that I did this morning and have really thought about for a few hours on and off. I am trying to understand the way I think, and how I need to tweak it in order to solve GMAT problems within the tight time constraints that I need to.

In this case, I was happy to see that my thinking wasn't unique: I too thought option (A) was right. I think when you read this type of passage, it's very easy to try and contextualize it based on how you're familiar with the process. I can't say I know anything about fish and spawning, but for some reason, the passage reads to me like they should go upstream during the spawning season, and back down to hang out for the remaining duration of the year. Funnily enough, no where in the text does it say this is true.

Option (A) struck a chord with my preconceived notions and I was tricked into thinking it was right. Despite option (C) sounding so incredibly reasonable when I read it, I stuck with my 'gut' and did not find 4 wrong answers, but rather 3, and then went to familiarity. Dun dun dun. Bad move.

Thank you guys for posting on this question and sharing your thoughts, all of your contributions have been very helpful! I had a head bang moment when I realized the logic and hence answer. In this case - what goes up, does not have to come down =)
Big Fat Disclaimer: I am NotAnExpert, but rather, merely a person that is studying for the GMAT and wants to make the best of, and take the most out of this forum. My only goal is to contribute to the community from the which I have taken so much, and ultimately help make the GMAT Club forums a better place to learn. In my posts, I share my learning outcomes by verbalizing how I solved problems, and hope that the added perspective can help anyone achieve an 'ah-hah' moment.

Sometimes it takes a concept being explained in 15 different ways to achieve an 'ah hah' breakthrough moment and I am here to contribute one, of hopefully many, unique perspectives. I do not encourage or participate in posts that simply state "that was easy", or "relevant, out of scope, correct". I find that people - myself included - often have a difficult time truly understanding the fact that in CR/RC questions, there will be one very definitively black and white correct answer, just a there is in Quant. As a result, my posts are exclusively focused on CR and RC. There is no such thing as a 'kinda right' question and because of this, I contribute detailed posts on how I came to my answer in hopes that it will connect with someone.

Wishing everyone all the best
Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: General Management
GPA: 3.9

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2019, 01:22
To prevent a newly built dam on the Chiff River from blocking the route of fish migrating to breeding grounds upstream, the dam includes a fish pass, a mechanism designed to allow fish through the dam. Before the construction of the dam and fish pass, several thousand fish a day swam upriver during spawning season. But in the first season after the project's completion, only 300 per day made the journey. Clearly, the fish pass is defective.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument?

Pre-thinking:
An assumption here is that nothing but the dam and the fish pass is an obstacle for fishes.
Let's imagine that the fish pass was designed to allow thousands of fishes a day but then because of some unexpected factor now it allows only 300 fishes per day. Since the confusion says that the fish pass is defective we can weaken this very conclusion by spotting the unexpected factor.
A weakener along these lines will be our answer.

(A) Fish that have migrated to the upstream breeding grounds do not return down the Chiff River again.
The passage clearly identifies rates before and after the dam was built. So it's irrelevant how may fishes would stay after reaching the breeding area. Hence incorrect

(B) On other rivers in the region, the construction of dams with fish passes has led to only small decreases in the number of fish migrating upstream.
Opposite. This actually strengthen the conclusion that the fish pass is defective since many other fish passes do their work. Hence incorrect

(C) The construction of the dam stirred up potentially toxic river sediments that were carried downstream.
This is our unexpected factor. We can see that the reduction in rate is due to the toxic sediments and not to the fish pass itself. Hence correct

(D) Populations of migratory fish in the Chiff River have been declining slightly over the last 20 years.
Since we don't know the extend of this decrease we can not say for sure that the decrease in fish population led to a decrease in the rate. There might have been a decrease but that does not mean that thousands of fishes per day don't reach the breeding areas each day. Hence incorrect

(E) During spawning season, the dam releases sufficient water for migratory fish below the dam to swim upstream.
This choice does not have a clear impact on the conclusion since this might mean two things: #1 the dam and the fish pass are working well and there is probably another cause for the decrease in rate. #2 the fish pass is defective and it is the cause of the decrease in rate. Since this answer choice does not have a clear impact on the conclusion it is incorrect
Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Marketing, Operations
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.5
WE: General Management (Retail)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
To prevent a newly built dam on the Chiff River from blocking the rout  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2019, 01:25
dgr8sandeep wrote:
To prevent a newly built dam on the Chiff River from blocking the route of fish migrating to breeding grounds upstream, the dam includes a fish pass, a mechanism designed to allow fish through the dam. Before the construction of the dam and fish pass, several thousand fish a day swam upriver during spawning season. But in the first season after the project's completion, only 300 per day made the journey. Clearly, the fish pass is defective.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument?

(A) Fish that have migrated to the upstream breeding grounds do not return down the Chiff River again.

(B) On other rivers in the region, the construction of dams with fish passes has led to only small decreases in the number of fish migrating upstream.

(C) The construction of the dam stirred up potentially toxic river sediments that were carried downstream.

(D) Populations of migratory fish in the Chiff River have been declining slightly over the last 20 years.

(E) During spawning season, the dam releases sufficient water for migratory fish below the dam to swim upstream.

Conclusion: Fish pass is defective.

We need to weaken the argument. So, we need find an alternate reason why the less migration and solution shouldn't involve fish pass at all.

A: Alternate reason yes. Contender.
B: It's a strengthener. rejected
C: Alternate reason yes. Contender.
D: Irrelevant. rejected
E: It's a strengthener. rejected

Between A and C. let's review the thought

Let's say A is true but does it necessarily break the argument. What if the fish is not returning due to a defect in fish pass. Since the solution may involve a fish pass. It is inconclusive. Moreover, the argument also mentions that it is the first season after fish pass involvement. This furthers our argument that the argument is inconclusive.
C mentions a solution which does not involve a fish pass. Therefore, C.
GMAT Club Bot
To prevent a newly built dam on the Chiff River from blocking the rout   [#permalink] 26 Sep 2019, 01:25

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 28 posts ] 

To prevent a newly built dam on the Chiff River from blocking the rout

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics