Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 10:21 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 10:21

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 264 [19]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Schools:Berkeley Haas
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9244 [8]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618968 [0]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 535 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Re: To prevent overcrowding, last month the town zoning board limited the [#permalink]
Bookmarks
should be d.

if developers can still build condo buildings, then what is to stop new residents from moving in, thereby increasing population and resulting in an added strain on the citys infrastructure
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 519 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: To prevent overcrowding, last month the town zoning board limited the [#permalink]
Kudos
Board: Zoning helps in preventing overcrowding and will lessen burden on schools ect.
Critics: Plan will harm the community or at least will fail.

a) Other towns have had mixed success with similar zoning plans. [Mixed success – may not help critics – eliminate it]

b) No new schools have been built in the town in ten years. [Yes. Schools may/may not be part of restricted number of buildings – not stated explicitly - eliminate it]

c) Property taxes in the town are higher than in neighboring towns.[Property taxes comparison is out of scope – eliminate it]

d) Under the new plan, developers may still erect apartment buildings. [Hold it]

e) The nearest garbage dump is several miles away from the town. [out of scope]

Answer: D
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 912 [3]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools: LBS '14 (A$)
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V48
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Hi Siddarth,

Let me try and run through the answer choices for you:

To prevent overcrowding, last month the town zoning board limited the number of new buildings that can be constructed in the town in any given year. The board claims that doing so will preserve open spaces and lessen the strain on municipal resources such as schools and garbage disposal. Critics of the changes argue that the plan will harm the community or, at the very least, will fail in its purpose.

Which of the following most supports the claims of the critics of the plan?

Other towns have had mixed success with similar zoning plans. This WEAKENS the claims of the critics. After all, if it has worked in other places, could it not work here?

No new schools have been built in the town in ten years. This is pretty irrelevant, whilst schools are mentioned in the piece, they're not integral to the argument

Property taxes in the town are higher than in neighboring towns. This is irrelevant, taxes are mentioned no where in the passage

Under the new plan, developers may still erect apartment buildings. This is correct. The plan is to limit the amount of buildings, if this plan will not work - because we have an exception (apartments) then that will help the critics.

The nearest garbage dump is several miles away from the town Again this is irrelevant, garbage dumps are mentioned, but not part of the main argument.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32877 [3]
Given Kudos: 4455
Send PM
Kudos
With all respect, this question is ridiculous...........

from when a new building excludes the apartments.

if I have a construction company and a customer says me to build a house or an apartment this is NOT a new building ??

OR apartment building is STILL a building

from wikipedia

Quote:
In architecture, construction, engineering, real estate development and technology the term building refers to one of the following:[citation needed]

Any human-made structure used or intended for supporting or sheltering any use or continuous occupancy, or
An act of construction (i. e. the activity of building, see also builder)
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63668 [4]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
I'm with Ian on this one: while I can see why MGMAT says that D is the best answer, the question has some serious flaws. The argument is awfully mushy, and there will never be a 100% airtight answer in a case like this. If the argument isn't airtight, then neither is the answer.

Anybody who knows me is probably sick of hearing this, but I really don't think it's worth getting too bent out of shape over a verbal question from any test-prep company. It's unbelievably difficult for anybody to copy the style, precision, and nuance of real GMAT exam, especially on the verbal side. GMAC literally spends millions of dollars developing test questions, and no test-prep company can dream of matching their expertise and resources--not even Manhattan GMAT.

Think about it this way: multiply your $250 test fee by the 280,000 people who take the test every year, and then add in the score report fees, test appointment change fees, the fees school pay to spam you with email, and GMAC's income from selling test-prep materials. And then consider that GMAC is technically a non-profit that exists solely for the purpose of creating and administering this test, and most of their revenue is supposedly spent on perfecting the GMAT. Every single question undergoes an unbelievable amount of scrutiny and testing. Manhattan GMAT is an amazing company, but they simply can't match that. Some of Manhattan's questions will be imperfect. It's inevitable.

I'm not necessarily saying that you shouldn't use books from test-prep companies (depending on your weaknesses, you probably should), and I'm definitely not saying that you should avoid MGMAT materials (their materials are clearly among the best in the industry). But the vast majority of your verbal practice time should be spent on official, retired test questions... and I wouldn't lose much sleep over a slightly sloppy question from a non-official source.

I hope this helps, Carcass!
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64916 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Expert Reply
suntaurian wrote:
To prevent overcrowding, last month the town zoning board limited the number of new buildings that can be constructed in the town in any given year. The board claims that doing so will preserve open spaces and lessen the strain on municipal resources such as schools and garbage disposal. Critics of the changes argue that the plan will harm the community or, at the very least, will fail in its purpose.

Which of the following most supports the claims of the critics of the plan?

a) Other towns have had mixed success with similar zoning plans.
b) No new schools have been built in the town in ten years.
c) Property taxes in the town are higher than in neighboring towns.
d) Under the new plan, developers may still erect apartment buildings.
e) The nearest garbage dump is several miles away from the town.

Responding to a pm:
Quote:
My only concern is that are apartment buildings not included in "new buildings"?
I mean how would one infer that?

You cannot infer that. It is given to you. (D) tells you that even after the plan is implemented, builders can make apartment buildings. You have to take the options to be true.

What is the plan? Limit the number of new buildings to prevent overcrowding and strain on resources.
Critics say that the plan will fail in its purpose i.e. it will not be able to prevent overcrowding.

Which option, if true, will make the plan fail?
If the developers can still erect apartment buildings, overcrowding may take place.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 116
Concentration: General Management, Human Resources
Send PM
My reason for choosing Option D is that it fails the purpose of the town zoning board which is "to prevent overcrowding"
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts