Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 15:57 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 15:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Difficulty: 605-655 Levelx   Weakenx                           
Show Tags
Hide Tags
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [0]
Given Kudos: 189
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Schools: ISB '24
WE:Analyst (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
VP
VP
Send PM
VP
VP
Send PM
To reduce waste of raw materials, the government of Sperland is consid [#permalink]
^^ AjiteshArun EducationAisle

The biggest issue i see with (A) is that (A) can apply to both situations
-- At the point of sale
AND/OR
-- At the point of salvage.

Lets say - the disposal fee is 20 $.

All (A) is saying is -- increasing the disposal fee from 20 $ to 30 $ is going to incentivize improper disposal practices.

But that will be the case if 30 $ if applied at the Point of sale and/or the 30 $ is applied at the point of salvage.

Whenever the new disposal fee is applied, its going to incentivize improper disposal practices.

Hence i knocked out (A)

Thoughts ?

Originally posted by jabhatta2 on 23 Aug 2022, 08:09.
Last edited by jabhatta2 on 25 Aug 2022, 06:51, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Schools: ISB '24
WE:Analyst (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: To reduce waste of raw materials, the government of Sperland is consid [#permalink]
AjiteshArun wrote:
pielkay wrote:
Hey GMATNinja and other wonderful Verbal Experts,

Answer option A talks about 'increasing' the cost for disposing of an appliance, while the argument talks about 'imposing' a cost for disposing of an appliance. The way answer option A is worded leads us to infer that there is already an existing cost for disposal of an appliance... isn't this a potential problem with this answer option?

Thanking you so much in advance,

Pritam

Hi pielkay,

Those aren't incompatible. For example, what the first half of option A effectively tells us is that the government-imposed fee makes disposing of an appliance more expensive. There may already be other costs associated with getting rid of an appliance, and increasing such costs will ~make more people want to get rid of their appliances in an improper manner. This weakens the argument, because the desired outcome is that discarded appliances be broken down for salvage.

Thank you so much, AjiteshArun! It is clear now.
VP
VP
Send PM
To reduce waste of raw materials, the government of Sperland is consid [#permalink]
Hi avigutman - The wording in (A) is suspicious. This is how I interepreted (A)

How can one be sure -- this is NOT THE WAY to read (A)

-- Increasing the cost of disposing of an appliance at the point of sale
AND/OR
-- Increasing the cost of disposing of an appliance at the point of salvage.

If you increase cost of disposing of an appliance at EITHER OF THESE TIMES -- either scenario incentivizes improper disposal practices.

Given this interepretation - i knocked out (A) because i thought (A) refered to BOTH scenarios (at the point of sales and/or at the point of salvage)
Attachments

screenshot 1.png
screenshot 1.png [ 28.69 KiB | Viewed 1419 times ]

Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2285 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V45
GMAT 2: 780 Q50 V47
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V45
Send PM
Re: To reduce waste of raw materials, the government of Sperland is consid [#permalink]
Expert Reply
jabhatta2 wrote:
Increasing the cost of disposing of an appliance at the point of sale incentivizes improper disposal practices.

jabhatta2 can you help me understand the above, specifically? I don't follow that claim.
VP
VP
Send PM
avigutman wrote:
jabhatta2 wrote:
Increasing the cost of disposing of an appliance at the point of sale incentivizes improper disposal practices.

jabhatta2 can you help me understand the above, specifically? I don't follow that claim.

Struggled to put down my thoughts in words - made a very quick vid
Attachments

video1628624477.mp4 [3.63 MiB]
Downloaded 48 times

Tutor
Send PM
Expert Reply
jabhatta2 wrote:

Thanks jabhatta2, I watched the video. The problem is that you just repeated in the video what you had written in your post. I still haven’t heard you explain WHY applying a salvage fee at the point of sale would incentivize improper disposal. I can see why applying the salvage fee at the time of disposal would do so, but not at the point of sale. I’m pushing you to explain your thinking because I think that will help you improve your CR more generally, beyond this particular question.

Posted from my mobile device
VP
VP
Send PM
avigutman wrote:
jabhatta2 wrote:

Thanks jabhatta2, I watched the video. The problem is that you just repeated in the video what you had written in your post. I still haven’t heard you explain WHY applying a salvage fee at the point of sale would incentivize improper disposal. I can see why applying the salvage fee at the time of disposal would do so, but not at the point of sale. I’m pushing you to explain your thinking because I think that will help you improve your CR more generally, beyond this particular question.

Hi avigutman - thank you so much for reviewing the video.

I am not really sure why charging a salvage fee at the point of sale would incentivize improper disposal, except that i assume option (A) is true at all stages (please read below regarding stages)

Based on the question stem -- all the answer choices "are true"

I agree that in real life, charging a salvage fee at the point of sale SHOULD NOT incentivize improper disposal activities , BUT THAT WOULD BE AN ASSUMPTION ON MY PART

Now - the problem with (A) is that -- the phrase "increase the cost of disposing of an appliance properly" can be applicable at
- (stage 1) the point of sale
and/or at
- (stage 2) the point of discarding

Given option (A) doesnt really state which stage is the italicized blue phrase applicable to, a test taker has to assume that the blue is applicable to either stage

For me then to "pro-actively eliminate" stage (1) based on my personal experience, would be an assumption on my part

So i thought (A) was true in the case of (stage 1) and/or (stage 2)

Thus i knocked out (A)
Tutor
Send PM
Expert Reply
jabhatta2 wrote:
I am not really sure why charging a salvage fee at the point of sale would incentivize improper disposal, except that i assume option (A) is true at all stages (please read below regarding stages)

I agree that in real life, charging a salvage fee at the point of sale SHOULD NOT incentivize improper disposal activities , BUT THAT WOULD BE AN ASSUMPTION ON MY PART

Now - the problem with (A) is that -- the phrase "increase the cost of disposing of an appliance properly" can be applicable at
and/or at

Given option (A) doesnt really state which stage is the phrase applicable to, a test taker has to assume that (A) is applicable to either stage

For me then to "pro-actively eliminate" stage (1) based on my personal experience, would be an assumption on my part

Thus i knocked out (A)

Ah, now I get what you are saying, jabhatta2. Please explain this part, specifically:

jabhatta2 wrote:
the phrase "increase the cost of disposing of an appliance properly" can be applicable at the point of sale
VP
VP
Send PM
avigutman wrote:
jabhatta2 wrote:

and/or at

Given option (A) doesnt really state which stage is the phrase applicable to, a test taker has to assume that (A) is applicable to either stage

Thus i knocked out (A)

Ah, now I get what you are saying, jabhatta2. Please explain this part, specifically:

jabhatta2 wrote:
the phrase "increase the cost of disposing of an appliance properly" can be applicable at the point of sale

Hi avigutman - The phrase "increase the cost of disposing of an appliance properly” is open ended.

Thinking about meaning - there can be many ways to “increase the cost of disposing an appliance properly”, namely

(1) Charge a salvage fee.
(2) Charge other fees related to disposal (maybe charging for pick-up for example..)

These charges can be applied either at (Stage 1) or (Stage 2) [in fact, the whole argument is about which stage do we want to charge !]

If I replace the phrase “increase the cost of disposing of an appliance properly” with “charging a salvage fee”, (A) re-phrased now becomes

Quote:
(A -rephrased) Charging a salvage fee increases the incentive to dispose of appliances improperly.

Now the fundamental issue with (A-rephrased) is

(A- rephrased) is possible to applicable at (stage 1) and /or stage 2
Tutor
Send PM
Expert Reply
jabhatta2 wrote:
avigutman wrote:
jabhatta2 wrote:

and/or at

Thus i knocked out (A)

jabhatta2 wrote:

Hi avigutman - The phrase "increase the cost of disposing of an appliance properly” is open ended.

Thinking about meaning - there can be many ways to “increase the cost of disposing an appliance properly”, namely

(1) Charge a salvage fee.
(2) Charge other fees related to disposal (maybe charging for pick-up for example..)

These charges can be applied either at (Stage 1) or (Stage 2) [in fact, the whole argument is about which stage do we want to charge !]

If I replace the phrase “increase the cost of disposing of an appliance properly” with “charging a salvage fee”, (A) re-phrased now becomes

Quote:
(A -rephrased) Charging a salvage fee increases the incentive to dispose of appliances improperly.

Now the fundamental issue with (A-rephrased) is

(A- rephrased) is possible to applicable at (stage 1) and /or stage 2

I’m sorry jabhatta2, I don’t see how one can possibly impact, at the point of sale, the cost of disposing an appliance PROPERLY. You can only do so at the point of disposal.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 205 [0]
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V35
GPA: 2.8
Send PM
To reduce waste of raw materials, the government of Sperland is considering requiring household appliances to be broken down for salvage when discarded. To cover the cost of salvage, the government is planning to charge a fee, which would be imposed when the appliance is first sold. Imposing the fee at the time of salvage would reduce waste more effectively, however, because consumers tend to keep old appliances longer if they are faced with a fee for discarding them.

Goal: To reduce waste of raw materials

Action: Household appliances to be broken down for salvage when discarded.

Requirement: The cost of salvage has to be covered.

Government's Plan: To charge a fees when the appliance is sold first.

Author's Suggestion: The fees should be charged at the time of salvage to reduce the waste effectively because consumers tend to keep old appliances longer if they are faced with a fee for discarding them.

To weaken the author reasoning: What if to circumvent the salvage fee, consumers start digging holes in the ground and put their discarded appliances there. The whole waste reduction plan gets sabotaged.

Therefore Option A
VP
VP
Send PM
avigutman wrote:

I’m sorry jabhatta2, I don’t see how one can possibly impact, at the point of sale, the cost of disposing an appliance PROPERLY. You can only do so at the point of disposal.

Hi avigutman - i think my issue is on the phrase "Increasing the cost of disposing of an appliance properly" ... There are many litereal interepretations of this phrase if i were to think of the literal meaning of this phase.

Quote:
(interepretation 1) Increasing the charge of the salvage fee (lets say, increase the salvage fee from 20 $ to a fee iof now 30 $)

(Interpretation 2 ) Applying a salvage fee

(interpretation 3) Charging a salvage fee only at the point of disposal

I thought of interpretation (1) and/or (2).

I think most readeres are thinking of interepretation (3) only

Using SC skills - i think one can make a case for either of these 3 interpretations
Tutor
Send PM
Expert Reply
jabhatta2 wrote:
I think my issue is on the phrase "Increasing the cost of disposing of an appliance properly" ... There are many litereal interepretations of this phrase if i were to think of the literal meaning of this phase.

Quote:
(interepretation 1) Increasing the charge of the salvage fee (lets say, increase the salvage fee from 20 $ to a fee iof now 30 $)

(Interpretation 2 ) Applying a salvage fee

(interpretation 3) Charging a salvage fee only at the point of disposal

I thought of interpretation (1) and/or (2).

I think most readeres are thinking of interepretation (3) only

Using SC skills - i think one can make a case for either of these 3 interpretations

Since we both live in Ontario, jabhatta2, let's look at a real case of (interpretation 2), which happens at the point of sale:
If you purchase batteries, electronics, hazardous and special products or tires in Ontario, you may see an extra charge added to your receipt called an environmental fee, resource recovery fee, environmental handling fee, tire handling fee, eco-fee, recycling fee or something similar.
Now, jabhatta2, you must ask yourself: does this extra charge, which is added to your receipt, increase the cost of disposing of an appliance properly? I mean, it certainly increases your cost... But how does it increase the cost of proper disposal?
VP
VP
Send PM
avigutman wrote:
Since we both live in Ontario, jabhatta2, let's look at a real case of (interpretation 2), which happens at the point of sale:
If you purchase batteries, electronics, hazardous and special products or tires in Ontario, you may see an extra charge added to your receipt called an environmental fee, resource recovery fee, environmental handling fee, tire handling fee, eco-fee, recycling fee or something similar.

Now, jabhatta2, you must ask yourself: does this extra charge, which is added to your receipt, increase the cost of disposing of an appliance properly? I mean, it certainly increases your cost... But how does it increase the cost of proper disposal?

Hi avigutman - great example.

I would argue, this Extra charge (added to my receipt at the time of purchase) definitely increases MY COST.

Furthermore, this Extra charge IS the "the cost of disposing of an appliance properly" (borne by me, the customer)

So if you replace Extra charge in the place of "the cost of disposing of an appliance properly", you get in (A)

Quote:

Option A) Increasing the cost of disposing of an appliance properly the extra charge increases the incentive to dispose of appliances improperly.

Which is why I keep interpretating it incorrectly.
Tutor
Send PM
Expert Reply
jabhatta2 wrote:
This Extra charge IS the "the cost of disposing of an appliance properly" (borne by me, the customer)
But you (the customer) are not the one doing the disposing. The true cost of disposing of the appliance properly doesn't change just because the Retailer decided to pass the cost on to you. The true cost of disposing of the appliance properly is going to be what it is, regardless of whether the Retailer passed it on to you.
jabhatta2 wrote:
Which is why I keep interpretating it incorrectly.

Even if you do interpret it that way, you should realize that it doesn't make any sense in the context of answer choice (A). Why on earth would the extra charge on your receipt incentivize you to dispose of the item improperly?
jabhatta2 wrote:

I disagree with this statement, jabhatta2. It's not an assumption, it's common sense.
VP
VP
Send PM
avigutman wrote:
jabhatta2 wrote:
This Extra charge IS the "the cost of disposing of an appliance properly" (borne by me, the customer)
But you (the customer) are not the one doing the disposing. The true cost of disposing of the appliance properly doesn't change just because the Retailer decided to pass the cost on to you. The true cost of disposing of the appliance properly is going to be what it is, regardless of whether the Retailer passed it on to you.

Thanks avigutman

Interesting if i understand, what you are saying is, the chronology is the following :

Quote:
(i) Current Cost of disposing of appliances properly in Canada : 50 million CAD

(ii) Introduction of Eco fees (extra cost of 10 Million CAD)

(iii) New Cost of disposing of appliances properly in Canada : 60 million CAD

This increase of 10 million CAD is borne either by
(i) JD at the time of purchase
(ii) JD at the time of discarding
(iii) Walmart (Retailer)
(iv) Government itself (Increased taxes)

I would argue, you would have to assume (i) ONLY is taking place if you select (A) as the answer.

Plausible scenarios within (A) - i.e. (ii), (iii), or (iv) - DONT weaken the conclusion.

Agree ?
Tutor
Send PM
Expert Reply
jabhatta2 wrote:
If i understand, what you are saying is, the chronology is the following :

Quote:
(i) Current Cost of disposing of appliances properly in Canada : 50 million CAD

(ii) Introduction of Eco fees (extra cost of 10 Million CAD)

(iii) New Cost of disposing of appliances properly in Canada : 60 million CAD

This increase of 10 million CAD is borne either by
(i) JD at the time of purchase
(ii) JD at the time of discarding
(iii) Walmart (Retailer)
(iv) Government itself (Increased taxes)

I would argue, you would have to assume (i) ONLY is taking place if you select (A) as the answer.

Plausible scenarios within (A) - i.e. (ii), (iii), or (iv) - DONT weaken the conclusion.

Agree ?

Presumably eco fees are fees imposed by the government, so it doesn't make sense that they're borne by the government.
In general, it's probably better to visualize this with a cost of disposal per appliance, rather than overall for the nation (to better match the context of the problem).
jabhatta2 wrote:

Did you accidentally replace red and blue in the quote above, jabhatta2?
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts