Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 06:12 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 108 [35]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 224 [2]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 144 [2]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 661 [0]
 Q49  V35
Send PM
Re: Today anthropologists realize that there is great diversity among hunt [#permalink]
rthothad wrote:
Today anthropologists realize that there is great diversity among hunter-gatherer societies, and those that have persisted into this century had long before been altered by their contacts with agricultural peoples.

a. among hunter-gatherer societies, and those that have persisted
b. among hunter-gatherer societies, and those persisting
c. among hunter-gatherer societies, and that those persisting
d. between hunter-gatherer societies, and those that have persisted
e. between hunter-gatherer societies, and that those persisting

SuperCat:- Any analysis on this question? I would love to read your explanation
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [1]
Send PM
Re: Today anthropologists realize that there is great diversity among hunt [#permalink]
Kudos
Vithal wrote:
rthothad wrote:
Today anthropologists realize that there is great diversity among hunter-gatherer societies, and those that have persisted into this century had long before been altered by their contacts with agricultural peoples.

a. among hunter-gatherer societies, and those that have persisted
b. among hunter-gatherer societies, and those persisting
c. among hunter-gatherer societies, and that those persisting
d. between hunter-gatherer societies, and those that have persisted
e. between hunter-gatherer societies, and that those persisting

SuperCat:- Any analysis on this question? I would love to read your explanation

I agree with (C), exactly as MBAMantra posted,

Today anthropologists realize
that there is great diversity among hunter-gatherer societies, and
that those persisting into this century had long before been altered by their contacts with agricultural peoples.

Moreover, the sentences using choices (A) and (B) do not make sense, although that may not be blatantly obvious. But read the sentence and think about what it's telling you. You should have a reason for connecting two independent clauses to form one compound sentence.

The clauses are:
1) Anthropologists realize that there is great diversity among H-G societies
2) Those persisting [or that have persisted] into this century had long before been altered.

Those two messages are not immediatley related to each other. (If you think they are, you are assuming too much.) It's not enough that both are facts about hunter-gatherers. If I said "My car has leather seats, and I had to fix a flat tire last week," that is a weird-sounding sentence, because I'm combining two unrelated facts about my car into one sentence, for no good reason.

Choices (A) and (B) just ram these two unrelated clauses together into one sentence, and it causes a bit of cognitive dissonance. These should not be together in one sentence without some element to explain why they are related.

(C) is different. The placement of THAT changes the overall message substantially. Everything is related. This says that Anthropologists realize X and Y, where Y = "hunter-gatherer societies persisting into this century had long before been altered by their contacts with agricultural peoples."

Now, X and Y are related in that they are both realizations made by anthropologists. Now we have a sensible sentence listing two realizations of anthroplogists.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [3]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
This is testing diction and introductory //ism
Step 1. This is not a comparison between just two tribes. So the use of ‘between’ is ruled out. This to define something prevalent within (obviously more than two) the many tribes. So ‘among’ is the correct diction
Step 2. Anthropologists realize two things and if we introduce the first one with a ‘that’, then, the second
also should be introduced similarly for the sake of //ism. C is the one doing that properly.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1831 [1]
Given Kudos: 833
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.35
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM