GMAT Changed on April 16th - Read about the latest changes here

It is currently 23 May 2018, 00:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Today, because of improvements in agricultural technology, the same

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Today, because of improvements in agricultural technology, the same [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2014, 23:25
[quote="Mishari"]Today, because of improvements in agricultural technology, the same amount of acreage produces double the apples that it has in 1910.

(A) double the apples that it has

(B) twice as many apples as it did

(C) as much as twice the apples it has

(D) two times as many apples as there were

(E) a doubling of the apples that it did

I have a doubt , I studied in e-gmat session on sentence structure that each sentence must have at least one independent clause. But In this sentence , because- dependent clause marker and that-dependent clause marker,so where is the independent clause ? Is there something wrong in my understanding.
Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
S
Re: Today, because of improvements in agricultural technology, the same [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2014, 07:43
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
purnima wrote:
Today, because of improvements in agricultural technology, the same amount of acreage produces double the apples that it has in 1910.

I have a doubt , I studied in e-gmat session on sentence structure that each sentence must have at least one independent clause. But In this sentence , because- dependent clause marker and that-dependent clause marker,so where is the independent clause ? Is there something wrong in my understanding.

Hi Purnima,

Thanks for posting you doubt here. :-)

Let's break this sentence into clause to see if it has an Independent clause or not.

Today, because of improvements in agricultural technology, the same amount of acreage produces double the apples that it has in 1910.

Cl 1: Today, because of improvements in agricultural technology, the same amount of acreage produces double the apples (IC)
Cl 2: that it has
in 1910. (DC)

(blue = subjects, green = verbs)

The thing that you missed here is that the word "because" is not immediately followed by a Subject-Verb (SV) pair. It is actually followed by a phrase which has neither a Subject nor a Verb. Hence we don't have a clause there. The Subject of the main clause is "the same amount of acreage" and the Verb is produces".

Consider these two sentences:

Because of you, I could finish my project on time.
Because Mary came late, we were late for the show.

As you can see, the first sentence has just one IC as "because" is followed by a phrase "of you". In the second sentence, we have two clauses - the first is a DC and the second an IC - as "because" is followed by an SV pair "Mary came".

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Retired Moderator
Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
Schools: Sloan '18 (A)
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V41
GPA: 4
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2014, 09:18
I see a discrepancy in this sentence. In a sentence - in an effort to reduce inventories Italian vintners ... - we eliminated answers because ellipsis was faulty. In other words words that were omitted were not in the same form as earlier. But in this sentence -did- replaces the word produced which does not exist anywhere. Can someone explain this?

If my post was helpful, press Kudos. If not, then just press Kudos !!!

Current Student
B
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V34
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2014, 02:02
Sorry I don't understand :(
Between B and D, why is it B? :(

Any link on when you use 'did' and 'were'? :\
Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
Manhattan Prep Instructor
S

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2014, 16:53
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
The idea here is that "were" and "did" can stand in for a previous verb, just like pronouns can stand in for a previous noun. "Were" typically stands in for another use of "was" or "were," or, if there has been a shift in time, for another form of "to be":

My parents were not as excited about the trip as my sister and I were. ("Were" stands for "were excited.")
The current generation of entrepreneurs will not be as successful as their predecessors were. ("Were" stands for "were successful," referring back to the earlier "will . . . be . . . successful.")

Do/does/did is more all-purpose. It can stand in for any other verb that represents something you would do:

I like pie more than my wife does. (does=likes pie)
He scoffed at the idea, as did most of the other investors. (did=scoffed at the idea)

With all this in mind, let's look at B and D:

B) Today, because of improvements in agricultural technology, the same amount of acreage produces twice as many apples as it did in 1910.

Did = produce. A certain acreage produces twice as many apples as that same acreage did (produce) in 1910. This works fine.

D) Today, because of improvements in agricultural technology, the same amount of acreage produces two times as many apples as there were in 1910.

Here, "were" stands in for what? There is no previous use of "were," or any other form of "to be," for that matter. That might be okay, as we are actually using a common comparison expression. The real meaning is that there are twice as many apples now as there were in 1910. The problem is that we aren't comparing the same things. We are comparing what a certain acreage produces now to how many apples existed in 1910. This doesn't make sense. It would be like saying "The average bond trader today earns twice as much as there was in 1940." Unless we mean that the average bond trader makes more money than there was in the whole world in 1940, this doesn't work. And if that is what we mean, I think I'll retire from gmatclub and take up bond trading. :)

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Nonprofit, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT Date: 09-01-2015
GPA: 3.4
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2015, 10:08
This post received
KUDOS

'double the apples' is awkward.

(B) twice as many apples as it did- correct

much- used for uncountable

two times- wordy

'a doubling of the apples' is awkward.
-----------------
More about the correct usage of twice, many, much:

If you say "twice as many", then this construction should be paired with a countable noun.
e.g., twice as many dogs --> "dogs" is a countable noun

If you said "twice as much", then this construction should be paired with an uncountable noun.
e.g., twice as much water --> "water" is an uncountable noun

If the noun in question is already an explicitly numerical quantity, then you should use neither "much" nor "many". Instead, you should just use "twice" or "double" by itself.
e.g., twice the increase --> "increase" is an explicitly numerical quantity

These rules are followed pretty closely.
For instance:
Twice as much water --> correct, since "water" is an uncountable noun (but is not an explicitly numerical quantity)
Twice the increase... --> correct
Twice the water... --> incorrect, since water is not a numerical quantity
Twice as much as the increase... --> incorrect; redundant

Cheers,
Rajan
VP
VP
S

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2015, 21:17
DmitryFarber wrote:
The idea here is that "were" and "did" can stand in for a previous verb, just like pronouns can stand in for a previous noun. "Were" typically stands in for another use of "was" or "were," or, if there has been a shift in time, for another form of "to be":

My parents were not as excited about the trip as my sister and I were. ("Were" stands for "were excited.")
The current generation of entrepreneurs will not be as successful as their predecessors were. ("Were" stands for "were successful," referring back to the earlier "will . . . be . . . successful.")

Do/does/did is more all-purpose. It can stand in for any other verb that represents something you would do:

I like pie more than my wife does. (does=likes pie)
He scoffed at the idea, as did most of the other investors. (did=scoffed at the idea)

With all this in mind, let's look at B and D:

B) Today, because of improvements in agricultural technology, the same amount of acreage produces twice as many apples as it did in 1910.

Did = produce. A certain acreage produces twice as many apples as that same acreage did (produce) in 1910. This works fine.

D) Today, because of improvements in agricultural technology, the same amount of acreage produces two times as many apples as there were in 1910.

Here, "were" stands in for what? There is no previous use of "were," or any other form of "to be," for that matter. That might be okay, as we are actually using a common comparison expression. The real meaning is that there are twice as many apples now as there were in 1910. The problem is that we aren't comparing the same things. We are comparing what a certain acreage produces now to how many apples existed in 1910. This doesn't make sense. It would be like saying "The average bond trader today earns twice as much as there was in 1940." Unless we mean that the average bond trader makes more money than there was in the whole world in 1940, this doesn't work. And if that is what we mean, I think I'll retire from gmatclub and take up bond trading. :)

thank you Manhantan expert for great explanaion.

can you tell me of HAS in C? is HAS correct? pls, explain this point in C. pls do not explain other points in C. Thank you
I ask you of HAS because HAS is relevant to the point you mention above.

visit my facebook to help me.
on facebook, my name is: thang thang thang

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Technology
Schools: ISB '18
GMAT Date: 03-15-2015
WE: Operations (Telecommunications)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 09 Feb 2016, 02:14
I agree with the did/were argument , but does the "it" have a proper antecedent . Isn't acreage in the prepositional phase .
It - referring to same amount is wrong .
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2016, 04:46
Mishari wrote:

A) Give info about size not number. need 'as'. 'has' refers present perfect tense, it should be past tense
B) correct choice
C) Give info about size not number. apples is countable, so it should be 'as many as' not 'as much as'. Also, there is a tense problem-it must be past tense.
D) here, the comparison is wrong. there should be 'apples to apples in a certain time' not 'apples to whole the world's apple'
E) give info about Size not number. Need 'as' for comparison.
Thanks...

“The heights by great men reached and kept were not attained in sudden flight but, they while their companions slept, they were toiling upwards in the night.”
― Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.76
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2017, 06:49
Mishari wrote:

Give it a shot and I will explain how I got to the answer in about a day or two.

A It doesn't produce "double the apples," but rather "double the number of apples."
B Correct.
C "As many as twice" is the wrong order. It should be "twice as many apples as..."
D "Two times" should be twice, and "there were" is not parallel with "produces."
E "A doubling" is incorrect.
Study Buddy Forum Moderator
P
WE: Engineering (Other)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2018, 03:32
egmat GMATNinja VeritasPrepKarishma

Do we not need THAN instead on AS in (B)?

It's the journey that brings us happiness not the destination.

Re: Today, because of improvements in agricultural technology, the same   [#permalink] 07 Apr 2018, 03:32

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 31 posts ] 

Today, because of improvements in agricultural technology, the same

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap