Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 20:54 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 20:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 524 [523]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 4562 [152]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [49]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Tutor
Affiliations: Harvard University, A.B. with honors in Government, 2002
Own Kudos [?]: 2412 [50]
Given Kudos: 272
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
GMAT 4: 730 Q48 V42 (Online)
GRE 1: Q168 V169

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Today's technology allows manufacturers to make small cars more fuel [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Today's technology allows manufacturers to make small cars more fuel-efficient now than at any time in their production history.

A) small cars are more fuel-efficient now than at any time in their
B) small cars that are more fuel-efficient than they were at any time in their
C) small cars that are more fuel-efficient than those at any other time in
D) more fuel-efficient small cars than those at any other time in their
E) more fuel-efficient small cars now than at any time in

A) The "are" is unnecessary, and "at any time" should read "at any other time." Otherwise it is an invalid comparison, since now is also a time. That's like saying "Sachin Tendulkar is better than any cricketer," which of course should read, "Sachin Tendulkar is better than any other cricketer," because he is not better than himself!

B) Again, "at any time" should read "at any other time."

C) Correct. "those" is an elegant way of referencing "small cars," and it also preserves the focus and meaning of the original.

D) We cannot compare a verb to a noun. In other words, we cannot compare how many cars are made to the cars themselves.

E) Sounds pretty good other than the "at any time" vs. "at any other time" issue that we should already be aware of, thanks to answers A/B vs. answers C/D. You could also argue that it shifts the meaning slightly from the original, changing the focus from small cars that are fuel efficient to fuel-efficient cars that are small.

You could also argue that both the answer choices with the word "now" (A and E) are redundant because of the reference to "Today's technology."

When confused by a tough SC, don't forget to compare and contrast your answers for inspiration. Omitting the "other" from this expression is a common mistake, but you can catch this mistake by scanning vertically, and paying close attention to the small differences between each answer choice.

Originally posted by mcelroytutoring on 24 May 2016, 12:09.
Last edited by mcelroytutoring on 30 Aug 2023, 10:41, edited 10 times in total.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [32]
Send PM
Re: Today's technology allows manufacturers to make small cars more fuel [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
This can get complex, if you so desire. However, just limit it to two aspects.
1. ‘Their’ has no clear antecedent. We cannot say, whether 'their' is the possessive pronoun of producers or small cars. So drop A, B, and D.
2. When in comparisons between two things, use of 'other' is a customary adjective for excluding the one compared from the rest of others. Note that choice E does not use the term ‘other’. So C is the choice.

Alternately, we can also see whether the comparison is 1)between cars of more fuel efficiency and of the current efficiency or 2) between more number of and the same number of small cars. Whichever way you take, you will finally land in C
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4468 [26]
Given Kudos: 221
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Re: Today's technology allows manufacturers to make small cars more fuel [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
az780 wrote:
Today's technology allows manufacturers to make small cars more fuel-efficient now
than at any time in their
production history.
A.small cars more fuel-efficient now than at any time in their
B.small cars that are more fuel-efficient than they were at any time in their
C.small cars that are more fuel-efficient than those at any other time in
D.more fuel-efficient small cars than those at any other time in their
E.more fuel-efficient small cars now than at any time in

Difference between "any time" and "any other time".
Any time- includes the current time as well so the comparison may include the contemporary cars as well. Incorrect
Any other time- includes the time period apart from today's time or current period. Sounds fine

Comparison has to be made between "small cars of today" and "small cars of other time".

D and E are ambigous in that they may intend to say "more number of fuel efficient cars" or "more fuel efficient small cars"
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7626 [20]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Top Contributor
Today's technology allows manufacturers to make small cars more fuel-efficient now than at any time in their production history.

(A) small cars more fuel-efficient now than at any time in their If you come across any option where there is a stray pronoun, you need to first check is the pronoun has an antecedent. The plural pronoun “their” can have either “manufacturers” or “cars” as its antecedent. Vague.

(B) small cars that are more fuel-efficient than they were at any time in their Same as A

(C) small cars that are more fuel-efficient than those at any other time in “those” refers to “small cars”. This option is saying that today’s technology allows manufacturers to make small cars more furl efficient that the small cars at any other time. Correct.

(D) more fuel-efficient small cars than those at any other time in their Same as A and same problem as in D

(E) more fuel-efficient small cars now than at any time in This option is talking about more small cars; the original sentence is taking of more fuel efficiency.

- Nitha Jay
General Discussion
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [13]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
For those who are short-timed on the floor, here is a quickie;

‘Their’ is simply ambiguous, unable to pinpoint whether it stands for cars or manufactures; drop A, B and D on that count; Between B and E; note that we have to use the term any other when we compare two things. So E is out; C wins
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31894 [7]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
gmatser1 wrote:
Can someone explain why E is wrong?

Hi,
two reasons why E is wrong..

5) more fuel-efficient small cars now than at any time in

1) more fuel efficient small cars means different from 'small cars that are more fuel efficient'...
the comparison shifts from fuel efficiency to more number of fuel efficient small cars, illogically..

2) now is also a time in the production history..
so at any time should change to at any other time..

hope it helped
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [1]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
qingping wrote:
what does "those" stand for ?

"Those" stands for "small cars". Small cars manufactured today are more fuel efficient than small cars (those) at any other time.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Given Kudos: 53
Send PM
sayantanc2k wrote:
qingping wrote:
what does "those" stand for ?

"Those" stands for "small cars". Small cars manufactured today are more fuel efficient than small cars (those) at any other time.

sayantanc2k, does answer B has a correct referral "they"? I am stuck with they + verv vs. those
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [16]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos