GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 05 Dec 2019, 18:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

TOEFL 107 - 2 days prep

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
TOEFL 107 - 2 days prep  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jun 2014, 23:17
Recently given the TOEFL IBT, got a score of 107. I have studied for two days and I can't expect more than this :) . I thought I would get more than 110, but the downside score on writing section did it's part.

I'm not looking for admission to top 10 US colleges, so no regrets!! :)

Study Materials Used:

1. The Official Guide for TOEFL 4th Edition with CD.

Didn't check any other source.

Here is the break-up of the scores:

1. Reading: 26

The passages are huge. I took my time and managed quite well. But with the second passage, I screwed it. There is lot to read and it's very difficult to comprehend. But I used skimming methods like reading the first and last sentence of each paragraph. Catch the transistion and emphasisng words. The third passage is quite a breeze and was able to finish the section in time.

TOEFL reading is unique. It's boring and lengthy, full of un-necessary jargon. I still cherish the GMAT RCs. They are logical and doesn't need you to and fro visit to paragraph for checking info :P

2. Listening: 28

Pretty straight forward, but with some integrated questions, i messed it. I practised with Official guide and the accompanying CD for this section. It's a dissapointment for me as I was expecting 30 :)

3. Speaking: 26

My favorite section as I'm ardent speaker of English. The only method I was using for the past 15 years is "THINK IN ENGLISH, READ IN ENGLISH and SPEAK IN ENGLISH". I didn't give any time for getting prepared to this section. At times I was overconfident and tried to sound good, but some of the comments given in score-card openend my eyes.

4. Writing: 26

By far the section I was doing good in all standard tests. I wrote for the first essay around 450 words and second essay for 550 words. Still it's not good enough to get perfect score! May be I used lot of cliched language and Unidiomatic expressions to impress the raters :P . The development of ideas were done properly but the comment from ETS like unable to convey proper conclusion might did some bad to the score.

The problem with my prep is trying to beat the exam. But I realize you can't do that unless you give enough time.

My take is If you are non-native of English, please ensure you spend some time in quality preparation.

Be cool and calm, and all the Best!!
GMAT Club Bot
TOEFL 107 - 2 days prep   [#permalink] 24 Jun 2014, 23:17

TOEFL 107 - 2 days prep

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: carcass