Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 06:02 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 3119 [0]
Given Kudos: 116
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1173 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GPA: 3.9
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Toefl Required???? [#permalink]
I believe you still need a TOEFL score -- unless your degree is in English from a U.S. school.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1329 [0]
Given Kudos: 63
Send PM
@macfauz you have aced the gmat, TOEFL should be a cakewalk even if you have to give the exam. Though, I think it would help in visa procedures / scholarships if you have taken the exam and scored well.

As for the particular university mentioned it says it isn't required if you have done post grad / under grad in english.
https://mba.ust.hk/ftmba/admissions/requirement.htm
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 3119 [0]
Given Kudos: 116
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Thanks everyone... I went through the requirements as stated on the websites of the top schools and I have this :

HBS : Internet-based Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL iBT) or International English Language Testing System (IELTS) score from a test taken January 1, 2011 or later, is required for international applicants who attended a non-English-speaking undergraduate university.

Wharton : The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) is required for all international applicants whose native language is not English. You may waive the TOEFL if you have earned an undergraduate degree or master's degree in an English-speaking country or from an institution in which English is the language of instruction; applicants must provide evidence to support the waiver.

Yale : You must submit a TOEFL, PTE Academic, or IELTS score if English is not the primary language of instruction at your degree-granting undergraduate or graduate institution. If English was the primary language of instruction at either institution, you do not need to submit a TOEFL, PTE Academic, or IELTS score or request a waiver of this requirement.

Stanford : If you have an undergraduate or graduate degree from a college or university where instruction was provided in English, you are exempt from taking the TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE.
All instruction must have been provided in English. You must take the TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE if some classes were taught in a language other than English.

Stanford goes a step further by providing examples :

The following examples illustrate whether or not you are required to take the TOEFL-IELTS-PTE:

1)Xiaogu from China went to Beijing for his undergraduate degree. Since the language of instruction was Mandarin, he is required to take the TOEFL-IELTS-PTE.

2)Ning from China got her undergraduate degree in London and is not required to take the TOEFL-IELTS-PTE because the language of instruction was English.

3)James from the United Kingdom went to Germany for his undergraduate degree and is required to take the TOEFL-IELTS-PTE (even though he is a native English speaker) because the language of instruction at the university was German.

4)Suki from Japan received her undergraduate degree from a US college where the language of instruction was all in English and is therefore not required to take the TOEFL-IELTS-PTE.

5)Fayza from Pakistan went to school in Islamabad where the language of instruction at her university was entirely in English, therefore she is not required to take the TOEFL-IELTS-PTE.

6)Chin from China went to Shanghai for her undergraduate degree but then went to Sydney for a graduate degree. Chin is not required to take the TOEFL-IELTS-PTE because the TOEFL-IELTS-PTE requirement is waived for any applicant with an undergraduate or graduate degree from a university at which the sole language of instruction is English.

I feel my situation is similar to that of Fayza (No.5).

The requirements as specified by each school are more or less worded the same, so I believe I am not required to take the TOEFL... :)
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Board of Directors
4384 posts