Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 13:18 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 13:18

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 610 Q41 V33
GMAT 2: 710 Q45 V41
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Senior PS Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5205 [2]
Given Kudos: 47
GPA: 3.12
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72886 [1]
Given Kudos: 18867
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 772 [1]
Given Kudos: 97
GMAT 1: 540 Q49 V16
GMAT 2: 680 Q49 V33
Send PM
Re: Told 710 not good enough for my targets...re-writing for 730 [#permalink]
Kudos
Hello fvoci ........ congratulations on the great score improvement in both Q & V. As mentioned by other users OG , GMAT Club Book & Tests are enough to take you to the next level in Q. Wish you all the luck for the next exam .

It will also be great if you can share some tips ( the way you determined the weaknesses - the way you worked on sections - if you ever had 'active reading' speed related issues - soft copies for last minutes revision etc)about the v33 to v40 journey. It will help a lot of people (especially me :-) ).
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22052 [2]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Hi fvoci,

I’m glad you reached out, and I’m happy to help. The good news is that a Q47 is a fantastic starting point. As I’m sure you know, you will need some further dedicated prep to increase your quant score from 47 to 49+. While it’s possible to achieve such a score increase in 5 weeks, there is no guarantee. That being said, I’m happy to provide some detailed advice on how to improve your quant score.

To increase your score to a higher level, you have to go through GMAT quant carefully to find your exact weaknesses, fill gaps in your knowledge, and strengthen your skills. The overall process will be to learn all about how to answer question types with which you currently aren't very comfortable and do dozens of practice questions category by category, basically driving up your score point by point. When you do dozens of questions of the same type one after the other, you learn just what it takes to get questions of that type correct consistently. If you aren't getting close to 90 percent of the questions of a certain type correct, go back and seek to better understand how that type of question works, and then do more questions of that type until you get to around at least 90 percent accuracy in your training. If you get 100 percent of some sets correct, even better.

For example, if you find that you are not strong in answering Number Properties questions, carefully review the conceptual underpinnings of how to answer Number Properties questions and practice by answering 50 or more questions just from Number Properties: LCM, GCF, units digit patterns, divisibility, remainders, etc. As you practice, do a thorough analysis of each question that you don't get right. If you got a remainder question wrong, ask yourself why you got it wrong. Did you make a careless mistake? Did you not properly apply the remainder formula? Was there a concept you did not understand in the question? By carefully analyzing your mistakes, you will be able to efficiently fix your weaknesses and in turn improve your GMAT quant skills. Number Properties is just one example; follow this process for all quant topics.

Each time you strengthen your understanding of a topic and your skill in answering questions of a particular type, you increase your odds of hitting your score goal. You know that there are types of questions that you are happy to see and types that you would rather not see, and types of questions that you take a long time to answer correctly. Learn to more effectively answer the types of questions that you would rather not see, and make them into your favorite types. Learn to correctly answer in two minutes or less questions that you currently take five minutes to answer. By finding, say, a dozen weaker quant areas and turning them into strong areas, you will make great progress toward hitting your quant score goal. If a dozen areas turn out not to be enough, strengthen some more areas.

So, work on accuracy and generally finding correct answers, work on specific weaker areas one by one to make them strong areas, and when you take a practice GMAT or the real thing, take all the time per question available to do your absolute best to get right answers consistently. The GMAT is essentially a game of seeing how many right answers you can get in the time allotted. Approach the test with that conception in mind, and focus intently on the question in front of you with one goal in mind: getting a CORRECT answer.

In order to follow the path described above, you may need some new quant materials, so take a look at the GMAT Club reviews for the best quant courses.

You also may find my article about
how to score a 700+ on the GMAT helpful.

Please reach out with any further questions. Let’s do this!!!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
bb wrote:
Hi. Congrats on 710.

You can definitely get to Q49 and higher. You can start with this post. https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-impro ... 41670.html

Posted from my mobile device

Thanks bb! I appreciate the response. I have printed your post and will implement the strategies.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
pushpitkc wrote:
Hey fvoci

Welcome to GMATClub with your first post(after 8 months of lurking) :)

First of all, Kudos on the massive improvement in the verbal score.

As for the questions that you have asked in your post -
You should try and fix those gaping holes(which have led to the downfall). For specific
topics in which you make most of your mistakes - start from the basics. You might find
the following link useful - GMATClub Quant Mega-Thread

Go through the theory and follow that up with practice from the GMATClub Quant tests.
Keep an elaborate error log and make sure to write down all your mistakes. Try not to
repeat these mistakes and slowly but steadily, you will see an improvement in the score

This is a POST which should help with this last leg of improvement in the Quant score.

Also, 5 weeks is sufficient time to improve your Quant score. I don't think any additional
preparatory material is required(other than the GMATPrep tests and the GMATClub tests
for Quant, both of which you have already purchased)

Hope this helps you!

Thanks pushpitkc! Very helpful. I will try to address my biggest weak points. I have purchased my ESR and see that its quite lop sided in certain areas (geometry).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 93
GMAT 1: 590 Q48 V23
Send PM
Hi fvoci,

Congrats on great improvement in just 8 weeks. 610 to 710 is huge improvement to begin with. I am currently sailing in the boat of lower 600. But your post gives good hope to achieve a 700+.
During my prep, I had also seen 700+ in gmatprep mocks, but on th e test day everything went south.

So I would like to ask you, how did you plan your 8 weeks and what did you do to achieve a 100 point improvement.

Thanks

Intern
Intern
Send PM
utopian25 wrote:
Hi fvoci,

Congrats on great improvement in just 8 weeks. 610 to 710 is huge improvement to begin with. I am currently sailing in the boat of lower 600. But your post gives good hope to achieve a 700+.
During my prep, I had also seen 700+ in gmatprep mocks, but on th e test day everything went south.

So I would like to ask you, how did you plan your 8 weeks and what did you do to achieve a 100 point improvement.

Thanks

utopian25

One of the things that helped me the most was ensuring that I get fully comfortable with 500 level questions for both quant and verbal. Once I could do 10-20 500 level questions without more than 10 to 20% mistakes I started focusing on the 600 level questions. When you start to make mistakes see which sections you are more prone to error to and dig deeper into those sections. I would go to the gmatclub question discussions and find a series of questions relating to work/rate problems for example and do 10-20 of those.

Now I am focusing more on 700 level questions only and as the advice of others has indicated I have to dig even deeper into the sections that I have weaknesses in.

Maintaining an error log doesn't mean you keep doing the same questions over and over again, it means you have an indication of what section results in more mistakes for you.

Believe me you can do it.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
u1983 wrote:
Hello fvoci ........ congratulations on the great score improvement in both Q & V. As mentioned by other users OG , GMAT Club Book & Tests are enough to take you to the next level in Q. Wish you all the luck for the next exam .

It will also be great if you can share some tips ( the way you determined the weaknesses - the way you worked on sections - if you ever had 'active reading' speed related issues - soft copies for last minutes revision etc)about the v33 to v40 journey. It will help a lot of people (especially me :-) ).

u1983

I keep an error log in excel and tag all my errors within quant (i.e percents / work & rate problems etc.). After doing 500+ questions I noticed certain trends within certain sections.

Next I went to the https://gmatclub.com/forum/all-you-need-for-quant-140445.html and started drilling into those sections that I found weaker.

Dont give up! Dont neglect your strengths either.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
ScottTargetTestPrep wrote:
Hi fvoci,

I’m glad you reached out, and I’m happy to help. The good news is that a Q47 is a fantastic starting point. As I’m sure you know, you will need some further dedicated prep to increase your quant score from 47 to 49+. While it’s possible to achieve such a score increase in 5 weeks, there is no guarantee. That being said, I’m happy to provide some detailed advice on how to improve your quant score.

To increase your score to a higher level, you have to go through GMAT quant carefully to find your exact weaknesses, fill gaps in your knowledge, and strengthen your skills. The overall process will be to learn all about how to answer question types with which you currently aren't very comfortable and do dozens of practice questions category by category, basically driving up your score point by point. When you do dozens of questions of the same type one after the other, you learn just what it takes to get questions of that type correct consistently. If you aren't getting close to 90 percent of the questions of a certain type correct, go back and seek to better understand how that type of question works, and then do more questions of that type until you get to around at least 90 percent accuracy in your training. If you get 100 percent of some sets correct, even better.

For example, if you find that you are not strong in answering Number Properties questions, carefully review the conceptual underpinnings of how to answer Number Properties questions and practice by answering 50 or more questions just from Number Properties: LCM, GCF, units digit patterns, divisibility, remainders, etc. As you practice, do a thorough analysis of each question that you don't get right. If you got a remainder question wrong, ask yourself why you got it wrong. Did you make a careless mistake? Did you not properly apply the remainder formula? Was there a concept you did not understand in the question? By carefully analyzing your mistakes, you will be able to efficiently fix your weaknesses and in turn improve your GMAT quant skills. Number Properties is just one example; follow this process for all quant topics.

Each time you strengthen your understanding of a topic and your skill in answering questions of a particular type, you increase your odds of hitting your score goal. You know that there are types of questions that you are happy to see and types that you would rather not see, and types of questions that you take a long time to answer correctly. Learn to more effectively answer the types of questions that you would rather not see, and make them into your favorite types. Learn to correctly answer in two minutes or less questions that you currently take five minutes to answer. By finding, say, a dozen weaker quant areas and turning them into strong areas, you will make great progress toward hitting your quant score goal. If a dozen areas turn out not to be enough, strengthen some more areas.

So, work on accuracy and generally finding correct answers, work on specific weaker areas one by one to make them strong areas, and when you take a practice GMAT or the real thing, take all the time per question available to do your absolute best to get right answers consistently. The GMAT is essentially a game of seeing how many right answers you can get in the time allotted. Approach the test with that conception in mind, and focus intently on the question in front of you with one goal in mind: getting a CORRECT answer.

In order to follow the path described above, you may need some new quant materials, so take a look at the GMAT Club reviews for the best quant courses.

You also may find my article about
how to score a 700+ on the GMAT helpful.

Please reach out with any further questions. Let’s do this!!!

ScottTargetTestPrep

Just finished reading your "How to Score a 700+..." these are all the tips one needs. Brilliant post.

Thanks for producing great content. I have bookmarked the page.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
fvoci wrote:
utopian25 wrote:
Hi fvoci,

Thanks

utopian25

One of the things that helped me the most was ensuring that I get fully comfortable with 500 level questions for both quant and verbal. Once I could do 10-20 500 level questions without more than 10 to 20% mistakes I started focusing on the 600 level questions. When you start to make mistakes see which sections you are more prone to error to and dig deeper into those sections. I would go to the gmatclub question discussions and find a series of questions relating to work/rate problems for example and do 10-20 of those.

Now I am focusing more on 700 level questions only and as the advice of others has indicated I have to dig even deeper into the sections that I have weaknesses in.

Maintaining an error log doesn't mean you keep doing the same questions over and over again, it means you have an indication of what section results in more mistakes for you.

Believe me you can do it.

How are you identifying 500,600,700 level questions? Are you using GMATclub to create problem sets?
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 670 [1]
Given Kudos: 53
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
Send PM