Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 06:41 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [1]
Given Kudos: 479
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
Schools: Duke '16 (M)
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3671 [1]
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64911 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Re: Too late to be too shocked [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
ssrg wrote:
Hi,
My exam is approaching on 11th Feb and today I took Practice Test from GMAT software and was shocked/still in shock to see a score of 420. :oops:
I have been preparing for this exam close to 6+ months.
In the previous practice tests the avg score was 600-620.

I am so confused about what to do now.

NO, rescheduling the exam is not possible, already I did that twice. This time I have to take it. :|

Someone, please advice......

This is not very common! Did you sleep off in the middle of the test? It's very hard to explain a dip of 200 points from one practice test to another. Practice tests of prep companies are not calibrated perfectly - I give you that - but they are certainly not that off. Besides, if you have been working even a little diligently for the past 6 months, a 420 doesn't make sense. If you go through one complete set of GMAT prep books seriously, a 600 is kind of a given.

I would advise you to do two things:
1. Check out why you got a 420. Lots of silly mistakes? Did you mess up the questions you usually answer correctly? Think of the reason why this would have happened - Were you really distracted during the test? Were you really stressed? Did you have a huge head ache? Did you have an all-too-crucial party to go to after? If one of these is the reason, you don't need to freak out at all. It's probably just an aberration - too far south - but still just an aberration.
2. Take another GMAT prep test on a non-work-day morning, at a time that works best for your body clock. You should come back to the 600s range. 700 might still be far away but it will certainly not be as crazy as 420!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2467 [0]
Given Kudos: 185
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Send PM
what is your target score?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
680-720
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management, Human Resources
GMAT Date: 01-31-2013
GPA: 3.65
WE:Research (Military & Defense)
Send PM
ssrg wrote:
Hi,
My exam is approaching on 11th Feb and today I took Practice Test from GMAT software and was shocked/still in shock to see a score of 420. :oops:
I have been preparing for this exam close to 6+ months.
In the previous practice tests the avg score was 600-620.

I am so confused about what to do now.

NO, rescheduling the exam is not possible, already I did that twice. This time I have to take it. :|

Someone, please advice......

Hi ssrg
I am also in same boat :cry:
my exam is on Feb 7th and am getting very low scores in my MGMATs..
waiting for some useful tips from other members... :roll:
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I don't know why no 'experts' have replied so far.
We are in trouble and we need some guidance at this stage, highly disappointed to see no response so far.
Or is it not the right place to ask suggestions?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi GMAT Pill and Karishma,
Yes, I am taking off from work.. for 5 days and this Sun I got. 6 days totally.
I took a test today from MGMAT and scored 510 ..... :-|
But still, I somehow feel a lit better (frankly), cos it was 90 points increase compared to my last attempt.
There are few things I observed:
1. I lacked stamina, so towards the end of Math section and by the Verbal section, I was completely lost. My brain is totally blacked out... In today's test, I really had to do some breathing exercises, meditation to stay calm and focused.
2. I have a huge problem in Data sufficiency questions, I come to a 'bad' conclusion very quickly.

I still lag very behind in IR, I scored only 3/12. I accept, I have never prepared for it. So I am not going to worry much about it.
AWA, I am sure, I will get a 5. So not worrying about it also.

Focusing on each section 1-2 days, is really a good idea. I shall follow it.

My Plan for the next 1 week.
1. Complete OG - 13 again (go through all explanations).
2. Take atleast 3-4 tests, one test from the GMAC software on Sat, next Monday (11th Feb) is my exam. [This is mainly to get used with sitting for 4 hours at a stretch].
3. Special attention on my weak areas.

Please let me know if the above plan will work. If you have any suggestions, put it across.

Thanks!
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64911 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Expert Reply
ssrg wrote:
Hi GMAT Pill and Karishma,
Yes, I am taking off from work.. for 5 days and this Sun I got. 6 days totally.
I took a test today from MGMAT and scored 510 ..... :-|
But still, I somehow feel a lit better (frankly), cos it was 90 points increase compared to my last attempt.
There are few things I observed:
1. I lacked stamina, so towards the end of Math section and by the Verbal section, I was completely lost. My brain is totally blacked out... In today's test, I really had to do some breathing exercises, meditation to stay calm and focused.
2. I have a huge problem in Data sufficiency questions, I come to a 'bad' conclusion very quickly.

I still lag very behind in IR, I scored only 3/12. I accept, I have never prepared for it. So I am not going to worry much about it.
AWA, I am sure, I will get a 5. So not worrying about it also.

Focusing on each section 1-2 days, is really a good idea. I shall follow it.

2. Take atleast 3-4 tests, one test from the GMAC software on Sat, next Monday (11th Feb) is my exam. [This is mainly to get used with sitting for 4 hours at a stretch].

Please let me know if the above plan will work. If you have any suggestions, put it across.

Thanks!

The practice tests in which you were scoring 600-620 were sectionals (i.e. something like 1 hr tests ) or were they complete GMAT simulations (4 hrs)? 510 is still low if you have been averaging 600-620 (assuming they were full length tests).

I don't think this will be very useful. OG explanations aren't the most efficient in my opinion (sometimes they are difficult to understand). Re-doing the same questions may not add value if you have done them properly once. You might want to practice from some other source.

Take the last test on Friday. You need to get some rest on Saturday and Sunday to be fully alert on Monday. Also, you need to fuel up during the test. Eat a light snack and keep some water handy during the two rapid fire breaks you get. Just stuff in some food to maintain energy levels. GMAT does test your endurance. Take the next Official GMAT prep test as soon as possible. Read this post to understand why: https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/2012/08 ... prep-test/

Yeah, this is a must. Try to gain a solid understanding of the areas you are weak in.
GMAT Club Bot