GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 05 Dec 2019, 09:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Took the first MGMAT Practice CAT and received a low score of 560

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Took the first MGMAT Practice CAT and received a low score of 560  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2017, 16:38
Hi all,

I just took the first Practice CAT from MGMAT to get a baseline of where I stand today as I start my preparation for the GMAT. I got an overall score of 560, with a score of 38 in Quant and 29 in Verbal. I'm planning to take the GMAT in the first week of September and in the 2 months leading to it, I will mainly be able to study on weekends and put in 1-2 hours on weekdays.

I'm aiming to score 750+ is that a possibility with such a low baseline score?

Thanks,
K
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Took the first MGMAT Practice CAT and received a low score of 560  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2017, 20:40
Yes. It is possible. However inly about 0.5% of GMAT club members improve 200 points and usually it takes about 3.5 months. Just fyi for you. Average improvement is around 70 points. Working hard you can get 150 but it takes more to improve 200.

Posted from my mobile device
B
WE: Business Development (Internet and New Media)
Re: Took the first MGMAT Practice CAT and received a low score of 560  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2017, 20:48
Hi, i had given a test from gmat prep before starting studying for gmat and scored a 480. I didn't study for a few months post that and right now i have been studying for over 4 months and the last 2 months more seriously. I am currently in the 620 range aiming for 680 to 700. Having said that it's easier to go from 480 to a 680 than 560 to 760.

Sent from my Le X526 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2017, 07:41
Hi kc247,

A 560 is a solid initial CAT score (the average score on the Official GMAT hovers around 540-550 most years). That having been said, raising this score to a 750+ will take a significant amount of work - and you'll have to make big improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections. With your current planned Test Date, you have about 2 months of potential study time, but the 190+ points that you're looking for will likely require at least another 3 months of consistent, guided study. This is meant to say that you would likely need more time than you've allotted, so you might need to consider pushing back your Test Date. Another thing to consider is that you probably don't "need" a 750+ to get into your first choice Business School, so you have to be mindful of the REAL goal in all of this.

1) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
2) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

The Course Used By GMAT Club Moderators To Earn 750+

souvik101990 Score: 760 Q50 V42 ★★★★★
ENGRTOMBA2018 Score: 750 Q49 V44 ★★★★★
Manager
Manager
P
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.82
WE: Corporate Finance (Retail Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2017, 07:46
Overall score of 560 is a good start. Go through Manhattan guides thoroughly and practice from gmatclub to solidify the concepts you have learnt in the guides.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Took the first MGMAT Practice CAT and received a low score of 560   [#permalink] 10 Jul 2017, 07:46

Took the first MGMAT Practice CAT and received a low score of 560

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: DisciplinedPrep