Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 21:25 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 21:25

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Cornell University
 Q48  V45
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 362 [0]
Concentration: Real Estate Development
Schools:Stern, McCombs, Marshall, Wharton
 Q42  V35
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1649 [0]
Given Kudos: 781
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
 Q48  V45
Send PM
Re: Top 5 B-schools for Real Estate [#permalink]
gixxer,

Good points. The chance for an internship is a big advantage and one of the reasons I am glad I chose Cornell's MRE program over the others.

Regarding job hunting, real estate is tough right now. The Cornell PRE traditionally has approximately 95% of the class employed by graduation. Talking with the director of the Cornell program, he said this year it's more likely to be about 70%. Employers are very cautious right now.

I actually just got off the phone with a current student at Cornell's PRE. This person is currently pursuing the dual degree. From the conversation, it sounds like development and investment companies are looking more toward MRE grads, but if you are looking for that GS job you mentioned, having both the MBA and MRE will be helpful.

Not sure why so few reported at MIT. Cornell's breakdown is a little more detailed:

https://realestate.cornell.edu/index.php ... statistics
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 362 [0]
Concentration: Real Estate Development
Schools:Stern, McCombs, Marshall, Wharton
 Q42  V35
Send PM
Artshep,

I don’t want to bore you with my life story but the problem is that I don’t know exactly what I want to do within the real estate field. I currently work in Construction Management where I manage the day to day construction activities between contractors as a representative for the Owner (schedule, billing, change orders etc.). My company also bids work as a General Contractor so I have had to opportunity to estimate, negotiate contract buyouts and manage self-performing work as well.

I love the fact that I get to work on something that is tangible. I can take my family to a downtown sky rise or on a trip to the Zoo and explain what it took to build it and how I was involved. The problem is that working for the Contractor only allows me to be involved with the job once everything has been determined. I have no input in the acquisition of the land or existing property or the design. I also have no input once it’s built, so I’m not exposed the asset management or disposition of properties.

So I’m leaning more towards development but I don’t want to get pushed into just just managing larger projects. After the military I began my education in construction management but after my internship I decided to just get an A.S. in construction management and then went on to get B.S. in Business because I felt it was more versatile. While studying business I excelled and was very interested in my finance classes (IRR, NPV, etc). So I would like to be able to use some of that information as I find it more interesting then determining the load bearing of a column wall.

But I sure as heck don’t want a job sitting at a desk crunching numbers all day. I love being able to go to the job site and being a part of the “action”. I have seen where there are PE and finance positions that retain close relationships with the developers allowing a broader view of the industry. I could be wrong as I am just trying to understand the industry as a whole.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
 Q39  V40
Send PM
Gixxer,

Im in teh same boat your in. I am a civil engineer for a government agency and handle heavy construction and management all day. I would love to go into development as well. Shoot me an email, I have done quite a bit of research and I am applying in 2010 - maybe the real estate markets will have settled by then.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Kudos
I know nothing about quality of real estate programs but I do know Kellogg has a RE conference and a real estate department. https://www.kellogg.northwestern.edu/academic/realestate/index.htm I would bet any school with a focus on RE probably will have connections and the ability to provide you with some opportunities. Reaching out to clubs is a great way to get a sense of how active it is at a given school and the level of support. Find schools you like and determine the depth of their RE program, do they have a major, a club, conference, lots of classes, companies that recruit, alums in the industry, etc.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools:Kellogg MMM, Class of 2011
Send PM
I also know nothing about real estate, but as far as Wisconsin is concerned, I could not have a higher opinion of the people and program. That was my safety school and their helpfulness and personal interest was completely unmatched by anywhere else. I do know they're strong in real estate, but I couldn't give any other specific details.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
 Q48  V45
Send PM
Funny now seeing my last post in this thread about a year ago, because I have gone from talking to a current dual degree student at Cornell to being one. I am in the real estate portion of the dual degree right now, and monkbent you are right, Wisconsin is great for real estate. James Graaskamp started the real estate program there, and he is more or less the father of modern real estate academia.

And as always, riverripper is right, explore the various real estate focused aspects of any school and you will get a good feel quickly for whether or not the school is big in the area.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Emory, Kellogg (Mat.)
 Q44  V44
Send PM
PaulK,

I am starting the 1Y MBA program this summer at Kellogg and plan on majoring in finance and real estate mgmt.

I am curious to hear what the recruiting atmosphere is like at Cornell for real estate students. I imagine that this year has been rough, but would like to know what you are seeing firsthand. Are RE firms still visiting campus?

Thanks for the info.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
hi All,
Any thoughts on the Portland State Univ. - MRED Program?

Thanks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 63
Concentration: Sustainability, General Management
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Send PM
Can some one please throw some light on what kind of real estate companies hire in the top bschools and what position they offer you?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
You should also add this best real estate school in the list - RICS School of Built Environment, Amity University
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 1109 [0]
Given Kudos: 1751
GPA: 4
Send PM
Expert Reply
US News has recently published a new rankings of top MBA programs for Real Estate, and ranked Wharton, Berkeley and NYU at the top. See the full rankings and some info on MBA programs with real estate specialization here: https://www.aringo.com/mba-programs-wit ... alization/
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
noah wrote:
As the subject states, I'm currently in the process of prepping for applicaitons to several B-schools with an indepth concentration in real estate development and finance. I know HAAS, Wharton, and USC have sub-programs dedicated to real estate development and finance. However, I am not aware of any other schools that offer such depth in their concentrations. Can anyone point me to schools that I may be missing?

I have also considered a masters in real estate finance which USC, Columbia, MIT, and Cornell each offer and are most notably recognized for.

Any advice would be of great help

Cheers!

thanks!
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 1109 [0]
Given Kudos: 1751
GPA: 4
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Noah,
Only you can decide between an MBA with a real estate specialization (bang on with Wharton, Haas, and USC. Columbia & MIT (and LBS) may not have specializations, but have a lot of real estates emphasize if you wish...)

The masters in real estate (Add NYU) too) is also a great option for you (a bit easier to get into, only one year, MBA core courses and then specilisation in real estate)
so this is really up to you

The MBA studies are around a wider range of topics vs. the masters which is narrower (not a bad thing of course) and of course there is the 2y vs. 1Y, cost of degree, career goals etc.

Happy to assist you with the process if you wish, we have worked with several real estate pros this year (mainly on LBS, Columba, Berkeley, Haas, MIT, Wharton, and some others) on both the MBA and the Masters...
(as always, I am on shimriw@ARINGO.com)

good luck!

Gettos wrote:
noah wrote:
As the subject states, I'm currently in the process of prepping for applicaitons to several B-schools with an indepth concentration in real estate development and finance. I know HAAS, Wharton, and USC have sub-programs dedicated to real estate development and finance. However, I am not aware of any other schools that offer such depth in their concentrations. Can anyone point me to schools that I may be missing?

I have also considered a masters in real estate finance which USC, Columbia, MIT, and Cornell each offer and are most notably recognized for.

Any advice would be of great help

Cheers!

thanks!
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3