Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 21:06 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 21:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos

Are any of these schools realistic?

You may select up to 11 options
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GPA: 3.3
WE:Sales (Computer Software)
Send PM
Sia Admissions Representative
Affiliations: NYU, Yale
Own Kudos [?]: 145 [0]
Given Kudos: 67
Send PM
ARLee Consulting
Status:MBA Admissions and Career Coaching by INSEAD alum and former Samsung HR Head.
Affiliations: INSEAD MBA'11D (experience as admissions interviewer), SAMSUNG ELECTRONICS
Own Kudos [?]: 191 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Read our Verified Client Reviews on GMAT Club:
Send PM
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Re: Top B-Schools with Varied Profile? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
berliner wrote:
Hello! I'm preparing now to apply for B-school, but I'm wondering where to best place my efforts. Is admissions to a top B-school realistic with this profile?

- 3.15 GPA, social sciences
- 730 GMAT
- American, 3 years of international experience (Germany - working language proficiency)
- 10 years of professional experience, 5 years in people management/leadership roles
- Starting my own company, in the very early stages
- Experienced a life-threatening illness and homeless during undergrad - hence the low GPA
- Also worked full-time during all of undergrad
- Decent amount of volunteering experience
- Undergrad was at Harvard div. of continuing education
- "Theme" of my application is overcoming hardship and wanting to start my own company and make the world a better place

Hi berliner,

Thanks for sharing your profile details.

Definitely, a strong case out there particularly if you are able to bring out the elements that truly differentiate you by means of the larger theme you are looking at :-)
Having said that, 10 years of work experience may make programs feel that you are more suited to an EMBA. A more detailed evaluation of your case can, therefore, follow once you share greater details on your work experience.

All the best!
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 1424 [0]
Given Kudos: 570
Farrell Nelson: MBA
Send PM
Expert Reply
berliner my thoughts below...

berliner wrote:
Hello! I'm preparing now to apply for B-school, but I'm wondering where to best place my efforts. Is admissions to a top B-school realistic with this profile?

Edits below highlighted in red! :)

- 3.29 GPA, social sciences (EDITED: I transferred, and realized I forgot to factor in my older GPA, which brings my total average to a 3.29
- 730 GMAT (RETAKING aiming for a 780) - [i]wow! ambitious. This is already strong but of course the higher the better. But don't sacrifice your apps. Go for round 2 if you need.

- Completing HBX CORe (Harvard business 'prep' course) soon with a goal of an A (4.0) average
- good for you; GPA is not a huge problem but not an asset
- American, 3 years of international experience (Germany - working language proficiency) - really like this, as I'm sure you know, not many American bilinguals and the international experience is helpful, if high quality.
- 10 years of professional experience, 5 years in people management/leadership roles - now working for a startup as Head of Sales
- Managed 15 people at maximum, now managing around 5 people (switched companies, and now growing the team from 0 to 5)
Obviously, people management experience is a plus.
- 5 promotions, from intern >associate > senior associate > team lead > senior manager > head of sales

Progression is great.
- Starting my own company, in the very early stages
This is tricky; make sure to have a solid client do your recs; or someone from previous job. If VC backed this will be more credible.
- Experienced a life-threatening illness and homeless during undergrad - hence the low GPA
This is sad and I"m sorry you went through this, but will definitely add depth to your profile and be a compelling story
- Also worked full-time during all of undergrad
Noted....I imagine this is included in the 10 years
- Decent amount of volunteering experience
Details would be good, ideal if there is a solid contribution and/or board experience more so than scattered involvement
- Undergrad was at Harvard div. of continuing education (Harvard Extension School)
I have to be honest, have never worked with someone who did an undergrad there, only certificates. Not sure how that will swing; is it all online or hybrid?
- Aged 29 now, will be 30/just turning 31 when I submit my applications (I'm taking a year to finish HBXCore, and work on my own company first)
You're aging a bit out of system here for GSB and HBS, but Sloan likes older applicants; would encourage you to check out median age for class profile for schools that interest you. If any inclination for INSEAD, age would not be an issue. It's not a problem, but higher than average. Make sure that when shaping goals, you dont go for something where there is a highly structured recruiting process like MBB or IB; awkward to pay 33 year old the same as a 28 year old, see what I mean.
- "Theme" of my application is overcoming hardship/life threatening illness/and homelessness, and now wanting to start my own company and make the world a better place

This is interesting but would recommend you get this more granular and concrete on what aspect of this problem you want to solve and how?
I do like that you plan to start your own company but will you be able to pay back loans doing that post-MBA? It does sidestep recruitment concerns however.
GMAT Club Bot