GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Nov 2019, 07:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Top Business School Changed The Offer After My Acceptance

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
Top Business School Changed The Offer After My Acceptance  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 May 2018, 11:38
What could possibly go wrong?

I have received an offer from my dream business school a little more than a week ago. I then immediately shared this good news with my friends and family and started to plan my future - quit my job, turned down other interviews, booked my holidays, paid my summer school, looking for new accommodation near the school and prepare for my CFA exam in June. For me, it was like a dream came true, and I've dreamed for this moment for a long time.

I paid the reservation fee 7500GBP, signed the term and agreement and every other document the offer requested and sent it to the admission office. You'd think everything is settled right?

I then got told, there was a "technical issue" which omitted the condition (an improvement on GMAT) from the original offer. And they've only found out this because I sent an inquiry email regarding my login details - meaning they wouldn't realise this otherwise. All of this means, I will pay a huge cost, not only financially, for the admission team's mistake, in which they have so much time and so many opportunities to rectify it. And my cost for their mistake is going to be life-changing.

To my knowledge of contract law, I have accepted the offer - meaning it is legally binding now. Altering the offer means they are breaching the contract and at the cost of my life.

What should I do? Your advice and comment are very much appreciated. Thanks!
INSEAD School Moderator
D
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Farrell D Hehn: MBA
Top Business School Changed The Offer After My Acceptance  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 May 2018, 15:22
Yes. But not sure if this applies in the UK ie ruling jurisdiction. Research "detrimental reliance." Get legal help...maybe start with a 3rd year British law student with experience in contract law.

And....of course...THAT IS SOME BULLS%#@. I cant imagine they would be excited about this getting out.... undermining their reputation. Thats where you have some leverage! They have something to protect and you can throw a monkey wrench in this. Keep that in mind.

One other thing. The GMAT is a proxy for performance...dont offer this unless pressed (advised) but stockpile evidence of your expected strong performance. Strong quant grades, quant related job, and I recommend you might do MBA math because that is strong evidence. Of course, this should be a *closed case* but better to cover all bases and have something in your back pocket. Their incentive SHOULD be recinding the offer to protect you from emminent failure. Not so sure it is so call their bluff. Quietly build a case to counter this...but #1 thing get legal representation.
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Top Business School Changed The Offer After My Acceptance  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 May 2018, 18:18
Wow. Sorry to hear about this situation.

While I am hoping his won’t require a legal process, I think you absolutely want to know what cards you have to play and that includes your legal rights. They can also help you draft a letter and have a position to approach this.

Unfortunately your legal costs will be sunk costs (unless there is a court case) so keep that in mind.

I am sorry it is starting this way :(

Posted from my mobile device
Re: Top Business School Changed The Offer After My Acceptance  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 May 2018, 04:51
Thanks for your kind advices. MBAPrepCoach bb

I am currently waiting for the response from my lawyer and Education Sector of my country before formally addressing my concerns to the Business School. Will update. Cheers!
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Top Business School Changed The Offer After My Acceptance   [#permalink] 14 May 2018, 04:51

Top Business School Changed The Offer After My Acceptance

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, Hatakekakashi