It is currently 19 Nov 2017, 07:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

#Top150 CR: During the past year, Pro-Tect Insurance Company’s total

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Non-Human User

Kudos [?]: 270 [1], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: #Top150 CR: During the past year, Pro-Tect Insurance Company’s total [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2014, 02:27
This post received
KUDOS
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 270 [1], given: 0

Expert Post
4 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 17795 [4], given: 235

Re: #Top150 CR: During the past year, Pro-Tect Insurance Company’s total [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Nov 2014, 01:11
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
goalsnr wrote:
During the past year, Pro-Tect Insurance Company’s total payouts on car-theft claims
were larger than the company can afford to sustain. Pro-Tect cannot reduce the
number of car-theft policies it carries
, so cannot protect itself against continued large
payouts that way. Therefore, Pro-Tect has decided to offer a discount to holders of
car-theft policies whose cars have antitheft devices
. Many policyholders will respond
to the discount by installing antitheft devices, since the amount of the discount will
within two years typically more than cover the cost of installation. Thus, because cars
with antitheft devices are rarely stolen, Pro-Tect’s plan is likely to reduce its annual
payouts.
In the argument above, the two portions in boldface play which of the following roles?
A. The first rules out a certain strategy for achieving a goal; the second presents the
strategy that was adopted instead and whose effectiveness the argument assesses.
B. The first is a judgment made in support of a certain conclusion; the second is that
conclusion.
C. The first has been used as a consideration to support adopting a certain strategy
for achieving a goal; the second reports a decision to adopt an alternative strategy.
D. The first provides evidence in favor of adopting a certain strategy for achieving a
goal; the second reports a decision to pursue an alternative goal.
E. The first is a consideration offered against adopting a certain strategy for
achieving a goal; the second is the main conclusion that the argument is seeking
to establish.

Discuss your approach to solve this CR.

Responding to a pm:

I don't think you have the correct OA here. Could someone please post a screenshot of the actual question and OA.

The goal is: "protecting itself against continued large payouts"
Strategy 1: reduce the number of car-theft policies it carries
Strategy 2: offer a discount to holders of car-theft policies whose cars have antitheft devices

So (A) fits.

(C) is incorrect.
If statement 1 is viewed as a consideration to support adopting a certain strategy, what is this "certain strategy"? This consideration actually supports the "alternative strategy" only.
The "alternative strategy" of course is "offer a discount to holders of car-theft policies whose cars have antitheft devices".
But (C) talks about two different strategies.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Get started with Veritas Prep GMAT On Demand for $199

Veritas Prep Reviews

Kudos [?]: 17795 [4], given: 235

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
D

Kudos [?]: 17619 [0], given: 1986

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)

Show Tags

New post 17 Dec 2014, 06:15
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
During the past year, Pro-Tect Insurance Company’s total payouts on car-theft claims were larger than the company can afford to sustain. Pro-Tect cannot reduce the number of car-theft policies it carries, so cannot protect itself against continued large payouts that way. Therefore, Pro-Tect has decided to offer a discount to holders of car-theft policies whose cars have antitheft devices. Many policyholders will respond to the discount by installing antitheft devices, since the amount of the discount will within two years typically more than cover the cost of installation. Thus, because cars with antitheft devices are rarely stolen, Pro-Tect’s plan is likely to reduce its annual payouts.

In the argument above, the two portions in boldface play which of the following roles?

(A) The first rules out a certain strategy for achieving a goal; the second presents the strategy that was adopted instead and whose effectiveness the argument assesses.

(B) The first is a judgment made in support of a certain conclusion; the second is that conclusion.

(C) The first has been used as a consideration to support adopting a certain strategy for achieving a goal; the second reports a decision to adopt an alternative strategy.

(D) The first provides evidence in favor of adopting a certain strategy for achieving a goal; the second reports a decision to pursue an alternative goal.

(E) The first is a consideration offered against adopting a certain strategy for achieving a goal; the second is the main conclusion that the argument is seeking to establish.

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Last edited by hazelnut on 27 Apr 2017, 07:01, edited 2 times in total.
boldened the text

Current Student
Status: Birds fly because they have wings, not because they have sky.

Kudos [?]: 95 [0], given: 73

Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.65
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 17 Dec 2014, 09:19
souvik101990 wrote:
During the past year, Pro-Tect Insurance Company’s total payouts on car-theft claims were larger than the company can afford to sustain. Pro-Tect cannot reduce the number of car-theft policies it carries, so cannot protect itself against continued large payouts that way. Therefore, Pro-Tect has decided to offer a discount to holders of car-theft policies whose cars have antitheft devices. Many policyholders will respond to the discount by installing antitheft devices, since the amount of the discount will within two years typically more than cover the cost of installation. Thus, because cars with antitheft devices are rarely stolen, Pro-Tect’s plan is likely to reduce its annual payouts.

A. The first rules out a certain strategy for achieving a goal; the second presents the strategy that was adopted instead and whose effectiveness the argument assesses.

B. The first is a judgment made in support of a certain conclusion; the second is that conclusion.

C. The first has been used as a consideration to support adopting a certain strategy for achieving a goal; the second reports a decision to adopt an alternative strategy.

D. The first provides evidence in favor of adopting a certain strategy for achieving a goal; the second reports a decision to pursue an alternative goal.

E. The first is a consideration offered against adopting a certain strategy for achieving a goal; the second is the main conclusion that the argument is seeking to establish.

Hi Souvik, request you to add bold face to the question. Whole sentence is not bold face and hence it makes question blur.

Regards,
J

--------------------------------------------------
Consider Kudos if I helped in some way!!!

Perseverance is the hard work you do after you get tired of doing the hard work you already did.

Kudos [?]: 95 [0], given: 73

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [1], given: 21

GPA: 2.71
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 24 Dec 2014, 04:21
This post received
KUDOS
souvik101990 wrote:

A. The first rules out a certain strategy for achieving a goal; the second presents the strategy that was adopted instead and whose effectiveness the argument assesses.

B. The first is a judgment made in support of a certain conclusion; the second is that conclusion.

C. The first has been used as a consideration to support adopting a certain strategy for achieving a goal; the second reports a decision to adopt an alternative strategy.

D. The first provides evidence in favor of adopting a certain strategy for achieving a goal; the second reports a decision to pursue an alternative goal.

E. The first is a consideration offered against adopting a certain strategy for achieving a goal; the second is the main conclusion that the argument is seeking to establish.

Kindly check the stem, its missing a boldface

Kudos [?]: 7 [1], given: 21

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 31 May 2015, 01:13
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
goalsnr wrote:
During the past year, Pro-Tect Insurance Company’s total payouts on car-theft claims
payouts that way. Therefore, Pro-Tect has decided to offer a discount to holders of
to the discount by installing antitheft devices, since the amount of the discount will
within two years typically more than cover the cost of installation. Thus, because cars
with antitheft devices are rarely stolen, Pro-Tect’s plan is likely to reduce its annual
payouts.
A. The first rules out a certain strategy for achieving a goal; the second presents the
strategy that was adopted instead and whose effectiveness the argument assesses.
B. The first is a judgment made in support of a certain conclusion; the second is that
conclusion.
C. The first has been used as a consideration to support adopting a certain strategy
for achieving a goal; the second reports a decision to adopt an alternative strategy.
D. The first provides evidence in favor of adopting a certain strategy for achieving a
achieving a goal; the second is the main conclusion that the argument is seeking
to establish.

Responding to a pm:

I don't think you have the correct OA here. Could someone please post a screenshot of the actual question and OA.

Strategy 2: offer a discount to holders of car-theft policies whose cars have antitheft devices

So (A) fits.

(C) is incorrect.
If statement 1 is viewed as a consideration to support adopting a certain strategy, what is this "certain strategy"? This consideration actually supports the "alternative strategy" only.
The "alternative strategy" of course is "offer a discount to holders of car-theft policies whose cars have antitheft devices".

Agree. I searched a few more places and found A as the OA. Request other members to verify.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 1

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 57

Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41

Show Tags

New post 31 May 2015, 05:42
Agreed A is the most logical
A - First boldface is used to rule out the strategy of by reducing policies; second boldface new strategy which the argument assesses
C - the first boldface is not used to support a strategy

Apoorv

I realize that i cannot change the world....But i can play a part :)

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 57

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
D

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2015, 22:25
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED

(A) The first rules out a certain strategy for achieving a goal; the second presents the strategy that was adopted instead and whose effectiveness the argument assesses.

(B) The first is a judgment made in support of a certain conclusion; the second is that conclusion.

(C) The first has been used as a consideration to support adopting a certain strategy for achieving a goal; the second reports a decision to adopt an alternative strategy.

(D) The first provides evidence in favor of adopting a certain strategy for achieving a goal; the second reports a decision to pursue an alternative goal.

(E) The first is a consideration offered against adopting a certain strategy for achieving a goal; the second is the main conclusion that the argument is seeking to establish.

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 98

GPA: 3.72
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2015, 07:00
During the past year, Pro-Tect Insurance Company’s total payouts on car-theft claims were larger than the company can afford to sustain.
(An observation or phenomenon)

Pro-Tect cannot reduce the number of car-theft policies it carries, so cannot protect itself against continued large payouts that way.
(a constraint or ruling out a non-pragmatic option)

Therefore, Pro-Tect has decided to offer a discount to holders of car-theft policies whose cars have antitheft devices.
(a stretegy that PT has decided to adopt -> supporting the main conclusion)

Many policyholders will respond to the discount by installing antitheft devices, since the amount of the discount will within two years typically more than cover the cost of installation. ( a prediction that, if true, will support the conclusion . The dependent clause is the justification for the success possibilities of the main conclusion )

Thus, because cars with antitheft devices are rarely stolen, Pro-Tect’s plan is likely to reduce its annual payouts.(main conclusion of the argument)

A) Matches the analysis
B) First is not a judgement and second is not a conclusion.
C) First part is correct; second is incorrect as no alternate strategy has been discussed.
D) First part is correct; second is incorrect as argument doesn't discuss "alternate goal".
E) First is a consideration not against any strategy; second is not a conclusion.

Hence A is the correct one.

A lot needs to be learned from all of you.

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 98

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 28

GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 23 May 2016, 14:29
I think the OA should be corrected on this one.

Posted from my mobile device

It is not who I am underneath but what I do that defines me.

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 28

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 71

Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.5
WE: Supply Chain Management (Consumer Electronics)

Show Tags

New post 23 May 2016, 16:41
Thanks Karishma and approve21. I was having a tough time understanding how C is the correct answer. I agree that A seems like most logical answer.

Manager
Manager
B

Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
WE: Supply Chain Management (Consumer Electronics)

Show Tags

New post 23 May 2016, 16:42
Thanks Karishma and approve21. I was having a tough time understanding how C is the correct answer. I agree that A seems like most logical answer.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 3

GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V46

Show Tags

New post 24 May 2016, 08:38
How is A not the right answer? C can't be correct. The article was written by the author, therefore the conclusion should be HIS and not the insurance company's. I see the conclusion as "Thus, because cars
payouts."

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 28

Schools: IIMA (I)
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.2
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 24 May 2016, 18:40
the second statement says that a co. has decided to do the mentioned step ...thus C clearly mentions this part. while A says taht decision has already been adopted and its effectiveness is being analyzed....a minor but substantial difference between A and C
While the first part of options A and C define the first bold part clearly.

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 28

Intern
Intern

GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V46

Show Tags

New post 25 May 2016, 07:25
vishnu440 wrote:
the second statement says that a co. has decided to do the mentioned step ...thus C clearly mentions this part. while A says taht decision has already been adopted and its effectiveness is being analyzed....a minor but substantial difference between A and C

Do you have the official source of this question? Still can't possibly grasp how "Thus, because cars
payouts." isn't the author's main conclusion. Mentioning the company doing something isn't the author's main conclusion. His main conclusion is that their plan of attack will work, not aforementioned plan of attack...

Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 17795 [0], given: 235

Show Tags

New post 25 May 2016, 20:31
vishnu440 wrote:

(C) is wrong.

There are two strategies discussed:
Reduce policies
Offer discount

Note that (C) uses "first supports CERTAIN STRATEGY"
Which is this strategy? It supports "offers discount" because it says reducing policies is not possible.

(C) also says "second adopts an alternative strategy"
Now which strategy is this? Second adopts "offers discount" only. It does not adopt an alternative strategy. It adopts the same strategy that first supports.

(A) is correct. Look here: during-the-past-year-pro-tect-insurance-company-s-total-64492.html#p1441546

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Get started with Veritas Prep GMAT On Demand for $199

Veritas Prep Reviews

Kudos [?]: 17795 [0], given: 235

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 20

GMAT 1: 600 Q60 V60
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 25 Jun 2016, 01:42
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
goalsnr wrote:
payouts.
conclusion.
to establish.

Responding to a pm:

So (A) fits.

(C) is incorrect.

Thanks for the explanation Karishma. :)

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 20

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 8

Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: ISB '18, IIMA , IIMB
GPA: 3.53
WE: Engineering (Other)
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2016, 05:00
Good debate.
I guess answer is A. I agree with Karishma.

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 8

Non-Human User

Kudos [?]: 270 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2016, 04:05
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 270 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 02 Sep 2016, 06:39
I think, A cannot be the right answer for the fact that the Insurance Company has only decided to offer a discount, not yet offered a discount. Option A rather says the company already adopted the strategy; A is certainly wrong! :)

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Re: #Top150 CR: During the past year, Pro-Tect Insurance Company’s total   [#permalink] 02 Sep 2016, 06:39

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3    Next  [ 50 posts ] 

#Top150 CR: During the past year, Pro-Tect Insurance Company’s total

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap