Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 13:31 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 13:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 698 [330]
Given Kudos: 0
 Q49  V37
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 622 [81]
Send PM
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [39]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 110 [5]
Concentration: General Management , Strategy
 Q49  V41
Send PM
Re: In a monogamous culture, 100% of the adults are married. The average [#permalink]
Kudos
clubzzang ur on a roll... one good question after the other...

+1 for this one too

Althouh Im not too sure, I would answer B for this...

As it is every parents wants atleast one son. Currently,they dont adopt birth control measures to have a son..

If one has to adopt birth control measures after they have a son.. the gender balance essentially remains the same, but the population may dwindle, as people adopt birth control measures after their first son..
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [3]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Re: In a monogamous culture, 100% of the adults are married. The average [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
I will go with B although i am not convinced that there WILL be gender balance. Simply because birth is a natural occurrence. Many factors such as birth mortality and trans gender births need to be taken into account when determining the gender balance.

My reasoning is

C and D are out because rate of increase will NOT SLOW DOWN
E is out because population will not decline precipitously

between A and B.
A is out because there absolutely no way to conclude that future generations will have disproportionately high number of females

I would have chosen A if it mentioned "the rate of population increase will be slowed, and the gender balance in future generations will not remain as it is at present

Only B survives the POE
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2755 [19]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
The average number of children per family is five.
Failure is due to these programs ignoring a tradition that values male children very highly,
so that every parent wants to have at least one son.

Proposal: couples be encouraged to use birth-control measures after the birth of their first son.

If this proposal is widely accepted in the culture, we may expect that:
(Application question......if x plan is applied then what can happen.....)

We have two scenarios
1. first child is male child and birth control measures are taken(male:female gets higher)
2. first child is not male child and let us say 4 female and one male(female:male is higher)

this will ensure that rate of population increase will be slowed, but gender imbalance will remain.

A. the rate of population increase will be slowed, and future generations will contain a disproportionately high number of females.
(high no of females is possible as per case 2 but not case 1)

B. the rate of population increase will be slowed, and the gender balance in future generations will remain as it is at present.
(This is possible in all circumstances of both cases 1 & 2)

C. the rate of population growth will remain the same, and future generations will contain a disproportionately high number of females.
(high no of females is possible as per case 2 but not case 1 and rate will not remain same)

D. there will be no significant effect either on population growth or on gender balance.
(This cannot be true in any case)

E. the population will decline precipitously, because approximately half of all families will have only a single child.
(there is no guarantee that approx half will have single male child)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 86 [0]
Given Kudos: 362
Send PM
Hi sayantanc2k
as per my understanding ...first two premise "all adults are married" and "avg number is 5" tells nothing about male to female ration currently.
now with successful birth control ,we have two scenarios
1. first child is male child and birth control measures are taken(male:female gets higher)
2. first child is not male child and let us say 4 female and one male(female:male is higher)

B tells the gender balance in future generations will remain as it is at present.
please explain the same.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 86 [0]
Given Kudos: 362
Send PM
sayantanc2k wrote:
mbaprep2016 wrote:
Hi sayantanc2k
as per my understanding ...first two premise "all adults are married" and "avg number is 5" tells nothing about male to female ration currently.

B tells the gender balance in future generations will remain as it is at present.
please explain the same.

Let us consider a simplified mathematical model:

The society consists of 16 families:

After 1st round of reproduction: 8 male + 8 female
The families which have a male child stops reproducing. So other 8 families reproduce in the second round - of them 4 male and 4 female are born.
After 2nd round of reproduction: 12 male + 12 female
Similarly after 3rd round: 14 male + 14 female
After, 4th round 15 male and 15 female.

Now this mental experiment can be generalized with n number of families, and it will be seen that after mth round of reproduction, the number of male and female will be same = n/2 + n/4 +... upto m terms.

Moreover as time passes (m increases), the rate at which the increase in no. of child happens goes on decreasing. ( 1st round: increased by 16(n), second round: increased by 8(n/2), 3rd round: increased by (n/4) and so on.

Therefore answer B is correct.

I apologies I am still confused , you stared with equal ratio
lets say 16 families
After 1st round of reproduction: 10 male + 6 female
The families which have a male child stops reproducing. So other 6 families reproduce in the second round - and have 6 male.
now ratio will 16 + 6
I am sure I am missing something very important
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [1]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Expert Reply
mbaprep2016 wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:
mbaprep2016 wrote:
Hi sayantanc2k

please explain the same.

Let us consider a simplified mathematical model:

The society consists of 16 families:

After 1st round of reproduction: 8 male + 8 female
The families which have a male child stops reproducing. So other 8 families reproduce in the second round - of them 4 male and 4 female are born.
After 2nd round of reproduction: 12 male + 12 female
Similarly after 3rd round: 14 male + 14 female
After, 4th round 15 male and 15 female.

Now this mental experiment can be generalized with n number of families, and it will be seen that after mth round of reproduction, the number of male and female will be same = n/2 + n/4 +... upto m terms.

Moreover as time passes (m increases), the rate at which the increase in no. of child happens goes on decreasing. ( 1st round: increased by 16(n), second round: increased by 8(n/2), 3rd round: increased by (n/4) and so on.

Therefore answer B is correct.

I apologies I am still confused , you stared with equal ratio
lets say 16 families
After 1st round of reproduction: 10 male + 6 female
The families which have a male child stops reproducing. So other 6 families reproduce in the second round - and have 6 male.
now ratio will 16 + 6
I am sure I am missing something very important

The assumption is that the probability of getting a male child and that of getting a female child is 1:1. So when 16 families reproduce, 8 males and 8 females are born. Now read the above post. (I did not quite understand how you got 10 males and 6 females after 1st round)

If you still have doubt, please post again.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5425 [2]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Kudos