Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 19:15 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 19:15

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51447 [1531]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32863 [103]
Given Kudos: 4453
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 974 [23]
Given Kudos: 264
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V24
Send PM
General Discussion
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32863 [8]
Given Kudos: 4453
Send PM
Re: How to Improve Verbal from V30 to V40 [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Broadly speaking I never believed who score above 700 with 2 months or so.

My humble opinion. It is certainly true but they are only spare cases

Gmat need dedication for who is in particular NOT native. Though I have seen native completely dumb in english
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [4]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT Date: 09-08-2014
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Hi

Today ,I took my first mock and scored very bad, 500. I am very disappointed.
I was never good in verbal. I scored 12. Quant 49.

I am thinking i am not made for GMAT, can anyone advise me what to do?
Just wanna know can anyone improve from 500 - 700 + Level . Is it possible?(Honest answer Please)

thanks
Rahul
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51447 [6]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
rahulgautam1187 wrote:
Hi

Today ,I took my first mock and scored very bad, 500. I am very disappointed.
I was never good in verbal. I scored 12. Quant 49.

I am thinking i am not made for GMAT, can anyone advise me what to do?
Just wanna know can anyone improve from 500 - 700 + Level . Is it possible?(Honest answer Please)

thanks
Rahul

Hey
You nailed quant and if that is your first score then you need not look at quant for a couple of weeks in your prep.
V12 can be disappointing but people especially non natives do tend to possess a lot of premonitions which act as barriers.

As to your second question, nobody is made for the GMAT. I agree that certain people to tend to be naturals in standardized tests but I can assure you that with hard efforts people have been on the 99th percentile.
2 things you need to mention for us to take a closer look at your situation.

• How long do you intend to study for the GMAT?
  • What is your desired score?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [4]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT Date: 09-08-2014
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
thanks for the reply Souvik..

I am working guy .. I am ready to put my efforts in the preparation till the time i scored well.
Even i think that i am not putting my best effort with best techniques( Please advise me such).

Please let me know if you can advise me a study plan.

I am definitely going to apply in next year as this year deadline is already gone for many college and i am not my best with GMAT.

I was targeting the GMAT score of 750+ but with this dismal mock score i am now targeting my score to 700+.I don't wanna lower my score than this one.

That was my first mock. Let me take my 2nd mock with some more preparation and then let me tell u my score on that.

Your words were encouraging. Actually, i was never able to good in any exam and i have never live up to my expectation and that disappoint me .
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51447 [13]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
rahulgautam1187 wrote:
thanks for the reply Souvik..

I am working guy .. I am ready to put my efforts in the preparation till the time i scored well.
Even i think that i am not putting my best effort with best techniques( Please advise me such).

Please let me know if you can advise me a study plan.

I am definitely going to apply in next year as this year deadline is already gone for many college and i am not my best with GMAT.

I was targeting the GMAT score of 750+ but with this dismal mock score i am now targeting my score to 700+.I don't wanna lower my score than this one.

That was my first mock. Let me take my 2nd mock with some more preparation and then let me tell u my score on that.

Your words were encouraging. Actually, i was never able to good in any exam and i have never live up to my expectation and that disappoint me .

You are good to go
But one last thing before you go head on with the prep.
Do not and I repeat DO NOT exhaust official CATs especially since you have used up one of them already.
I think at this stage you dont need to worry about your mock scores.
Start with a sound plan and then move up till you are done with 80% of your syllabus and then its time for you to take a CAT (unofficial in my opinion)
gmat-study-plan-how-to-start-your-gmat-prep-80727.html?fl=menu
This is a good plan for almost every body!
All the best.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 628 [5]
Given Kudos: 192
Send PM
Kudos
rajeevrks27 wrote:
Kudos to you Souvik for starting this thread.
Though much has been discussed before this, however, i assume a fresh discussion is required in light of the changed pattern of verbal especially SC.
I think a lot of people including me approach SC in a very very mechanical way, trying to follow POE using the grammer rules. IMHO, This very methodology is faulty and is one of the biggest obstacle in our strive for V 40. As we move to the upper level questions, the usual 3-2 splits are gone, there are more than one and at times more than two grammatical correct answer choices and it becomes hard to decide the correct choice. So, to cut the long story short, The emphasis right from the beginning of the preparation should be on Style, usage and meaning and not on pure grammar.
I think the native speakers generally don't face much of a problem in verbal and most of them score above 35 in verbal. So It really boils down to the familiarity and ease with the language. The actual proplem lies in our non-familiarity with the language and more so the gmat type language, a weakness that very few admit.
As highlighted by Souvik that by the time we reach last 15-20 questions in verbal,we are just not able to think on the right lines. So what if we focus a lot on reading literature that uses gmat style? Although one is not doing a direct kind of preparation by doing so, however, reading subtly prepares us for not only SC but the entire verbal portion. I think it benefits maximum in RC in which we not only learn to read faster than before but also comprehend simultaneously. Here is what bb has to say on this issue
books-to-read-improve-verbal-score-and-enjoy-a-good-read-76079.html
The point i want to make here is that
WE CANNOT ACHIEVE A SCORE OF 40 BY LEARNING A BUNCH OF GRAMMAR RULES. IT'S OUR STANDING IN THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE THAT HAS A MAJOR ROLE TO PLAY AND STANDING CAN ONLY IMPROVE OVER A PERIOD OF TIME BY ENGAGING WITH THE LANGUAGE.
P.S.- Souvik, i hope i have not taken the discussion away from the subject being discussed. :oops:

Rajeev as far as getting from V30 to V40 is concerned. IMHO a better strategy would be to go from V30-V35 and then from V35-V40.
As you may have seen several of non native speakers(Indians) manage to score like 680-720 with Q49-50, V31-36. So one can reach V35 without going back to the drawing board and reading several novels etc.

Following can help to get V35
- Repeated study of MGMAT SC(including making short notes)(3-5 times) + Powerscore CR(2-3 times).
- Practicing and reviewing OG12, 0GV2 slowly twice. Analyzing each SC/CR problem to find the takeways.
- Some Verbal Sectional Tests to see the progress.

From V35-V40 (to be done slowly in a period of 3-4 months)
Its all going to be pattern recognition and stamina.
- Practicing 2000 CR/RC problems from LSAT.
- 10 Full Length Tests with Thorough Review.

The problem with Reading Non Fiction and Learning Sentence Diagramming is that one is NOT sure whether it will yield proportionate results.
Native speakers have developed reading habit over decades can it be replicated by non native speakers in 6-8 months ? Some Verbal Tutors can tell from experience.
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51447 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
AbhiJ wrote:
rajeevrks27 wrote:
Kudos to you Souvik for starting this thread.
Though much has been discussed before this, however, i assume a fresh discussion is required in light of the changed pattern of verbal especially SC.
I think a lot of people including me approach SC in a very very mechanical way, trying to follow POE using the grammer rules. IMHO, This very methodology is faulty and is one of the biggest obstacle in our strive for V 40. As we move to the upper level questions, the usual 3-2 splits are gone, there are more than one and at times more than two grammatical correct answer choices and it becomes hard to decide the correct choice. So, to cut the long story short, The emphasis right from the beginning of the preparation should be on Style, usage and meaning and not on pure grammar.
I think the native speakers generally don't face much of a problem in verbal and most of them score above 35 in verbal. So It really boils down to the familiarity and ease with the language. The actual proplem lies in our non-familiarity with the language and more so the gmat type language, a weakness that very few admit.
As highlighted by Souvik that by the time we reach last 15-20 questions in verbal,we are just not able to think on the right lines. So what if we focus a lot on reading literature that uses gmat style? Although one is not doing a direct kind of preparation by doing so, however, reading subtly prepares us for not only SC but the entire verbal portion. I think it benefits maximum in RC in which we not only learn to read faster than before but also comprehend simultaneously. Here is what bb has to say on this issue
books-to-read-improve-verbal-score-and-enjoy-a-good-read-76079.html
The point i want to make here is that
WE CANNOT ACHIEVE A SCORE OF 40 BY LEARNING A BUNCH OF GRAMMAR RULES. IT'S OUR STANDING IN THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE THAT HAS A MAJOR ROLE TO PLAY AND STANDING CAN ONLY IMPROVE OVER A PERIOD OF TIME BY ENGAGING WITH THE LANGUAGE.
P.S.- Souvik, i hope i have not taken the discussion away from the subject being discussed. :oops:

Rajeev as far as getting from V30 to V40 is concerned. IMHO a better strategy would be to go from V30-V35 and then from V35-V40.
As you may have seen several of non native speakers(Indians) manage to score like 680-720 with Q49-50, V31-36. So one can reach V35 without going back to the drawing board and start reading several novels etc.

Following can help to get V35
- Repeated study of MGMAT SC(including making short notes)(3-5 times) + Powerscore CR(2-3 times).
- Practicing and reviewing OG12, 0GV2 slowly twice. Analyzing each SC/CR problem to find the takeways.
- Some Verbal Sectional Tests to see the progress.

From V35-V40 (to be done slowly in a period of 3-4 months)
Its all going to be pattern recognition and stamina.
- Practicing 2000 CR/RC problems from LSAT.
- 10 Full Length Tests with Thorough Review.

The problem with Reading Non Fiction and Learning Sentence Diagramming is that one is NOT sure whether it will yield proportionate results.
Native speakers have developed reading habit over decades can it be replicated by non native speakers in 6-8 months ? Some Verbal Tutors can tell from experience.

I agree with most of this.
Probably not for doing 2000CR/RC problems from LSAT.
Doing a huge number of very difficult problems might do more damage than good especially with CR.
10 full length tests is also an overkill.
AbhiJ, you are completely spot on IMO about getting to V35. After that, I think its all about going official.
My advice is to just intenralize the GMAT patterns and traps. Going through every SC and CR qestion on the official guides and probably deconstruct them like a madman. A better ROI would be possible in that case IMO.
The GMATPrep Q Pack can also come to be very useful.
Best resource, as always, is MGMAT forums by Mr. Ron Purewal and Stacey Koprince. (all personal opionions)
Director
Director
Affiliations: NYK Line
Own Kudos [?]: 1857 [4]
Given Kudos: 70
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE:Engineering (Transportation)
Send PM
Kudos
I think...every possible material is mentioned fr V30 to V 35....but i feel
Two most important things must be added....
1. Over all verbal is about BIG picture thinking.....Mostly Cr, it can be won if we see the big picture of the argument, do not get bogged down in the specifics...come out with general conclusion in you own words....and go fr the kill.

2. Aristotle CR grail.....Believe i have gone through Powerscore for more than 5 times...no doubt has helped me a lot...Veritas prep, etc....But Aristotle CR's nthn like it...Clear concise and to the point...You can possibly finish the whole book in 10-15 days....fr sure you will see the difference....

Consider Kudos If my post helps!!

Archit
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 103
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.61
WE:Consulting (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Archit143 wrote:
I think...every possible material is mentioned fr V30 to V 35....but i feel
Two most important things must be added....
1. Over all verbal is about BIG picture thinking.....Mostly Cr, it can be won if we see the big picture of the argument, do not get bogged down in the specifics...come out with general conclusion in you own words....and go fr the kill.

2. Aristotle CR grail.....Believe i have gone through Powerscore for more than 5 times...no doubt has helped me a lot...Veritas prep, etc....But Aristotle CR's nthn like it...Clear concise and to the point...You can possibly finish the whole book in 10-15 days....fr sure you will see the difference....

Consider Kudos If my post helps!!

Archit

Hi BB/Archit and all,

No one here mentioned about GMAT prep pack 1 the set of exams from from source.
Can we discuss it here.
>How are they,
>what frequency they should be taken at,
>How many exams come in that set
>Are explanations present in that exam.

Also can we compare Aristotle CR and Powerscore CR. I really need help in CR/RC section.
As i feel books cannot help much in improving CR and RC. But still i will buy one of those if they are really helpful.

I have MGMAT guides as well OG,12. Will getting any new books help me?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
Hi,

I took my GMAT recently, and my score in verbal pulled down my overall score. I plan to study for my second attempt. Can someone please suggest some good books for verbal. I had practised OG while preparing, and my accuracy while practising was around 88%. But, somehow during the test it didn't translate into a decent score:(

After solving OG once or twice, I already know the answers to the questions, hence, concerned that when I refer it again I would know the answers beforehand. How would that help me?

Someone do let me know how to approach it, also is there any other material apart from OG and MGMAT SC.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 6254 [2]
Given Kudos: 330
WE:General Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM