Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 03:17 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 03:17

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: University of Florida
Own Kudos [?]: 2976 [57]
Given Kudos: 630
GMAT 1: 570 Q42 V28
GMAT 2: 610 Q44 V30
GMAT 3: 600 Q45 V29
GMAT 4: 590 Q35 V35
GPA: 3.45
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: University of Florida
Own Kudos [?]: 2976 [21]
Given Kudos: 630
GMAT 1: 570 Q42 V28
GMAT 2: 610 Q44 V30
GMAT 3: 600 Q45 V29
GMAT 4: 590 Q35 V35
GPA: 3.45
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [8]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 831 [1]
Given Kudos: 291
Send PM
Re: The value of the farming equipment manufacturer’s shares [#permalink]
Kudos
I was confused between B and D. I didn't choose B because the use of conjunction 'and' doesn't seem appropriate. Hence D. Somehow am still not convinced.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [3]
Given Kudos: 42
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 650 Q44 V35
GPA: 3.1
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
avohden wrote:
The value of the farming equipment manufacturer’s shares have risen nearly 200 percent this year as more investors have started to believe that the company will make more efficient tractors that people will flock to buy.

A. The value of the farming equipment manufacturer’s shares have risen nearly 200 percent this year as more investors have started to believe that the company will make more efficient tractors that people will flock to buy.

B. The value of the farming equipment manufacturer’s shares has risen nearly 200 percent this year as more investors have started to express belief that the company will make more efficient tractors and that people will flock to buy.

C. The farming equipment manufacturer’s shares has risen nearly 200 percent this year because more investors have started to believe that the company will make more efficient tractors that people will flock to buy.

D. The farming equipment manufacturer’s shares have risen nearly 200 percent this year as more investors have started to express belief that the company will make more efficient tractors that people will flock to buy.

E.The farming equipment manufacturer’s shares have risen nearly 200 percent this year in that more investors have started to believe that the company will make more efficient tractors and people will flock to buy.

oe to follow

Wouldn't it be that the value..has risen?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 135 [0]
Given Kudos: 401
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Schools: EMLYON FT'16
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V32
GPA: 3.44
Send PM
anujkhatiwada wrote:
avohden wrote:
The value of the farming equipment manufacturer’s shares have risen nearly 200 percent this year as more investors have started to believe that the company will make more efficient tractors that people will flock to buy.

A. The value of the farming equipment manufacturer’s shares have risen nearly 200 percent this year as more investors have started to believe that the company will make more efficient tractors that people will flock to buy.

B. The value of the farming equipment manufacturer’s shares has risen nearly 200 percent this year as more investors have started to express belief that the company will make more efficient tractors and that people will flock to buy.

C. The farming equipment manufacturer’s shares has risen nearly 200 percent this year because more investors have started to believe that the company will make more efficient tractors that people will flock to buy.

D. The farming equipment manufacturer’s shares have risen nearly 200 percent this year as more investors have started to express belief that the company will make more efficient tractors that people will flock to buy.

E.The farming equipment manufacturer’s shares have risen nearly 200 percent this year in that more investors have started to believe that the company will make more efficient tractors and people will flock to buy.

oe to follow

Wouldn't it be that the value..has risen?

Watch out, in D there is not "the value" it starts directly with "the farming equipment manufacturer’s shares" and "Shares" is plural!

But the question is really hard! The subtile difference between the choices B and D is difficult to see!

I was confused about "flock" because i did not know what it meant:

Definition:

- large number of people; crowd.
- large group of things. Example: a flock of letters to answer.

In consequence, we can translate the last part by the following: people will flock to buy ==> many people will buy

Therefore, you must either have a noun after "many people will buy a car" or you refers to a noun before "X that many people will buy"

Answer D makes sense now!

Hope it helps!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 704 [1]
Given Kudos: 14
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V32
Send PM
Kudos
I think this question is wrong because the correct answer choice D changes the meaning from "the value has risen" to "Shares have risen". Please correct me if I am wrong.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 113 [0]
Given Kudos: 125
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q43 V45
GRE 1: Q161 V163

GRE 2: Q159 V166
GPA: 3.6
WE:Editorial and Writing (Computer Software)
Send PM
aadikamagic wrote:
I think this question is wrong because the correct answer choice D changes the meaning from "the value has risen" to "Shares have risen". Please correct me if I am wrong.

You are right. I was going with D till I realized this change of meaning, but apparently not?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1370 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
WE:Corporate Finance (Manufacturing)
Send PM
aviram wrote:
aadikamagic wrote:

You are right. I was going with D till I realized this change of meaning, but apparently not?

There is no change in meaning, but a change in word choice. Shares can rise just as much as values of something do. It's not quite clear whether this is from an OG though.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Send PM
Re: #Top150 SC: The value of the farming equipment manufacturer’s shares [#permalink]
Was just about to share my thoughts... until I read daagh's that were effectively the same =)

Though "have started to express belief" is a little redundant, but redundancy wins over clear grammar mistakes nicely pointed out by daagh.

Best,
Jay
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 361 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Schools: ISB '15
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.76
Send PM
Re: #Top150 SC: The value of the farming equipment manufacturer’s shares [#permalink]
daagh wrote:
A. The value of the farming equipment manufacturer’s shares have risen nearly 200 percent this year as more investors have started to believe that the company will make more efficient tractors that people will flock to buy. --- The value and have risen—SV error.

B. The value of the farming equipment manufacturer’s shares has risen nearly 200 percent this year as more investors have started to express belief that the company will make more efficient tractors and that people will flock to buy. --- and that people will flock to buy—is this choice clearly stating that people will flock to buy those tractors? Why is the object of the ‘flock to buy’ missing?

C. The farming equipment manufacturer’s shares has risen nearly 200 percent this year because more investors have started to believe that the company will make more efficient tractors that people will flock to buy. – shares has risen is SV error.

D. The farming equipment manufacturer’s shares have risen nearly 200 percent this year as more investors have started to express belief that the company will make more efficient tractors that people will flock to buy.----- ‘Tractors that people will flock to buy’ clears up the air and rectifies the problem cited in B. Correct choice.

E.The farming equipment manufacturer’s shares have risen nearly 200 percent this year in that more investors have started to believe that the company will make more efficient tractors and people will flock to buy. – in that is an unidiomatic expression since it is just an indicative phrase and doesn’t imply that the shares have gone up because(as) people are expressing more belief.

The split between ‘have started to believe’ and ‘have started to express belief’ is a diversionary ploy, I suppose.

Hi Daagh,

I was stuck between B and D, although error of B " tractors and that people will flock to buy" was spotted early.
D was the obvious choice, but isn't D changing the intended meaning
I mean original sentence talks about value of shares increasing (monetary value)
whereas D talks about shares being increasing.(increase in number of shares)

Please provide your inputs on this.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Straight D.

Basically S-V agreement question.

souvik101990 wrote:

B. The value of the farming equipment manufacturer’s shares has risen nearly 200 percent this year as more investors have started to express belief that the company will make more efficient tractors and that people will flock to buy. -- Meaning change

Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 1180 [0]
Given Kudos: 236
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE:General Management (Transportation)
Send PM
souvik101990 wrote:

let's understand the meaning first:
the value of shares have risen
the rise is because investors have started to believe in something
they believe that the company will make more efficient tractors
and they believe that people will buy these tractors.

Error analysis:
the subject "the value" does not agree in number with the verb "have risen" = no other error is present.

as mentioned.

and that after tractors changes the meaning. now, it is implied that investors believe in 2 things:
the company will make more efficient tractors
the people will flock to buy
but buy what? subtle, yet important error.

the subject shares does not agree in number with the singular verb has. as was changed with because - this is not a mistake.

the subject shares - ok, verb have risen - ok. that after tractors correctly refers to what people will buy. looks good.

same meaning error as in B.
believe that:
company will make more tractors
people will flock to buy.
nevertheless, even this is incorrect, because we have 2 IC connected with only "and". that is an essential modifier in this case.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Guilio wrote:
Was just about to share my thoughts... until I read daagh's that were effectively the same =)

Though "have started to express belief" is a little redundant, but redundancy wins over clear grammar mistakes nicely pointed out by daagh.

Best,
Jay

Have started to express belief is more than redundant. The meaning is poor. Belief is a noun which means accepting as truth. You can't really have started to express something as truth. Have started to believe

Belief is a noun. In simple terms, ‘belief’ refers to the act of accepting something as truth. According to the Oxford Dictionary, ‘belief’ especially refers to the act of accepting something without proof and evidence. We use the noun ‘belief’ when we are talking about faith, confidence or trust in something. Belief is also used to refer to a strong opinion or conviction. We always use the preposition ‘in’ in relation to ‘belief.’

“They always mocked his belief in extraterrestrial”

“The belief in God helped him to bear the pain silently.”

“They were prepared to fight for their beliefs.”

“He was the first to reject the belief that earth was flat.”

“Self-confidence is, having belief in yourself.”

Belief can be replaced by trust or truth and you see the sentence makes no sense. While I admit (a) has an error with have. This started to express belief is very illogical.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 405
Send PM
Guilio wrote:

Best,
Jay

GMATNinja GMATNinjaTwo
can you please help with this topic?

I too agree that "have started to express belief" is redundant.
Is this phrase correct or not?

thank you!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Given Kudos: 44
Send PM
I chose B . Wanted to understand why B was wrong.
B says 'the value has risen..' while D mentions 'shares have risen'.

Is the phrase 'the value has risen..' an incorrect phrase to use?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V42 (Online)
Send PM
this SC makes no sens since the answer alters the intended meaning !
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 89 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Like everyone else, it was between B and D.
I really don't like how C, D, E remove "the value of" because i feel it introduces ambiguity. But after doing some cursury look on Google, saying "shares" or "stock" rose (without indicating "the value") is common.

So D is the clear choice.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
A. The value of the farming equipment manufacturer’s shares have risen nearly 200 percent this year as more investors have started to believe that the company will make more efficient tractors that people will flock to buy. S/V agreement error

B. The value of the farming equipment manufacturer’s shares has risen nearly 200 percent this year as more investors have started to express belief that the company will make more efficient tractors and that people will flock to buy. The use of the word and is wrong. it should be that

C. The farming equipment manufacturer’s shares has risen nearly 200 percent this year because more investors have started to believe that the company will make more efficient tractors that people will flock to buy. S/V agreement error

E.The farming equipment manufacturer’s shares have risen nearly 200 percent this year in that more investors have started to believe that the company will make more efficient tractors and people will flock to buy. the use of the word and is wrong. it should be That

ANS: D
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V29
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V39
GMAT 3: 710 Q48 V39
GRE 1: Q166 V152
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
D illogically says shares have risen.. logically it should be.. value of shares has risen.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts