Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 14:49 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 14:49

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [19]
Given Kudos: 24
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 327 [1]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 724 [0]
Given Kudos: 155
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Status:On a mountain of skulls, in the castle of pain, I sit on a throne of blood.
Own Kudos [?]: 655 [1]
Given Kudos: 134
Send PM
Re: Newspaper publishers earn their profits primarily from advertising rev [#permalink]
Bookmarks
aniketm.87@gmail.com wrote:
Newspaper publishers earn their profits primarily from advertising revenue, and potential advertisers are more likely to advertise in newspapers with a wide circulation a large number of subscribers and other readers than with other newspapers. But the circulation of the newspaper that is currently the most profitable one in this city has steadily declined during the last two years, while the circulation of one of its competitors has steadily increased.

Any of the following, if true, would help explain the apparent discrepancy between the two statements above EXCEPT:

A. Advertisers generally switch from the most widely circulated newspaper to another one only when the other one becomes the most widely circulated newspaper instead.
B. Advertising rates charged by the most profitable newspaper in the city are significantly higher than those charged by its competitors.
C. The most profitable newspaper in the city receives revenue from its subscribers as well from advertisers.
D. The circulation of the most profitable newspaper in the city is still greater than than of any of its competitors.
E. The number of newspapers competing viably with the most profitable newspaper in the city has increased during the last two years.

Can someone please explain the OA ?
Acc to me (Yes i got it right) if the # of newspaper competitors have increased then its circulation share will go down, but it can still remain the most profitable one in the city
Lets say :
Before competition :
A -----> 1000 subs (A gets all the ads and hence makes the max profits)
B -----> 100 subs
TOTAL subs 1100
After some time
A -----> 500 (Subs went down steadily)
B -----> 200 (Subs went up steadily)
C -----> 100
D -----> 100
E -----> 150
F -----> 50

But A is still making the most profit (E helps explaining this)

Please correct me if I am wrong. Thanks in advance.

There is one scenario that you missed aniketm.87@gmail.com. The most profitable newspaper's circulation could remain intact while the other non-profitable newspapers became profitable. Note we are talking about profits and not revenue and profit is a function of both revenue and cost. In this case, we can assume that the non-profitable newspapers became profitable by cutting down costs. Revenues or the number of subscription had nothing to do with it. Additionally, the profitability of a newspaper has no effect on how much advertising revenue the newspaper will get. So, the costs and the revenues of a newspaper are independent functions.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1779 [0]
Given Kudos: 2562
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
Re: Newspaper publishers earn their profits primarily from advertising rev [#permalink]
can you help me with this question.
I personally chose C as the answer. I do know EXCEPT.

OA is E.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1779 [0]
Given Kudos: 2562
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
so far, in my opinion, the question is hard because the passage does not clearly address the issue. In addition, options seem similar, so there are only 30% of people that get the right answer.

E does not explain why the most profitable company still gets profit even though the circulation has reduced.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619016 [1]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Newspaper publishers earn their profits primarily from advertising rev [#permalink]