Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 01:41 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 01:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 599 [11]
Given Kudos: 86
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32870 [3]
Given Kudos: 4455
Send PM
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9242 [1]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 599 [0]
Given Kudos: 86
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
Send PM
Editorial: Companies worldwide have started adopting MAT (Management A [#permalink]
Hi Ian,

I am extremely sorry :oops: for the typo in option B… Actually I ended up typing the entire problem. Hence, the error in typing the extra zeroes. There was a typo in C too. It is 74% and not 84% .With due regards, I have corrected the errors in the original post.

Overall, I too found the problem kinda’ ……sensible but pretty challenging as the language in the stimulus and the options is very convoluted, which makes it extremely hard to interpret.

Here’s my analysis:

Sentence 1 (Background Info): CGI conducts MAT, introduced ten years back (an online-based aptitude test).

Sentence 2 (1st premise): Latest statistics released by CGI show that the average error rate, a statistical figure to assess the difficulty level of a question and determined only after the number of respondents reaches at least thousand, of ten toughest questions in a sample group of MAT tests conducted within any pre-defined time interval not earlier than three years ago has never exceeded 70%.
My inference: Error rate is a statistical figure to judge the level of difficulty. This figure, however cannot be constant for any question and will keep changing as more and more students attempt it. The error rate may increase or may decrease depending upon whether more students answer it correctly or not. This means that a question that was in the top ten tough question list in a particular time – frame MAY OR MAY NOT retain its position. Point is that owing to the dynamic nature of the error rate, we have a different combination of ten toughest questions for different time-frames of 1 month, 6 month, 1 year, 2 years or even 3 years (i.e. for different time intervals). Now, statistics indicate that in none of these different sets of toughest questions has the AVERAGE error rate climbed over 70%. Although, the individual error rate of the question at the top of the list could still be way above 70%, those of the others towards the bottom are so much lower than 70% to nullify the effect and bring down the average to less than 70%. Or in other words, the percentage of the total number of people answering the ten toughest questions wrong out of the total number of respondents attempting these has never exceeded 70%.

Sentence 3 (2nd premise): A particular question recently introduced by CGI in MAT was, however, found to have an error rate of more than 80%, attempted by approximately 5000 candidates worldwide.
My inference: A particular question introduced was attempted by 5000 respondents, out of which more than 4000 got it wrong. Note that the sample population of 5000 was well-represented as indicated by ‘worldwide’, i.e. the population belonged to different demographics

Sentence 4 (Judgment/Opinion/Intermediate conclusion): Hence, this question could be considered among the toughest of the questions to have appeared on the MAT
My inference: The fact that less than 1000 out of 5000 students could only manage to answer the question right INDICATES (not PROVES) that it is among the toughest. (i.e. it could potentially count amongst the top ten toughest questions for a statistical analysis yet to be carried out as it is just recently introduced.)

Sentence 5 (Counter premise): But, some respondents contend that the new question was indeed so tough need not be true as it is also quite likely that the official answer to the question itself is wrong.
My inference: The word ‘but’ initiates a debate with some respondents contending that the answer itself perhaps could be wrong and is a point of contention, referenced by the question stem. The sentence introduces another potential reason why the new question may probably have such a high error rate.

Question Stem: Which of the following, if true, would most help to arbitrate the contention presented in the argument?

We need to find an option that produces additional evidence to either support the contention or destroy it.

A. Wrong. Even if 4750 respondents who answered the question right scored 99 percentile on MAT overall, this does not really resolve the contention whether the answer is right or not. It could be quite possible that these respondents have actually marked an answer, which is actually wrong and all the 250 remaining respondents who got it wrong have marked an answer which is actually correct and also have scored 99 percentile or perhaps even higher than the 4750 respondents who got it right.

B. Wrong…Looks to be a red herring, anyways does not solve the contention of the debatable answer. What I could really make out is that this is a percentage trap. In essence, the option says that the maximum error rate of the ten toughest questions within any time band recorded until date is 82.5% and the minimum error rate for these is 60%.
Quite likely that the question which achieved an error rate of 82.5% actually had the correct answer marked. Hence, this in no way proves that a question with an error rate of 80% or above is necessarily wrong.

C. Wrong…Another distracter (I later began thinking that this question is testing quant more than verbal or anything else related to CR) :evil: …Going ahead, this option also does not resolve the contention whether the answer is right or not. In fact, the fact that the avg. error rate was 74% need not mean that none of them were above 80%. Quite likely that one of the ten questions had a 90% error rate while the others had way below 80% to bring the avg. to 74%. Proceeding ahead, the 90% question can be dismissed as right with the same reasoning as in B, thus intensifying the contention further.

D. Wrong. Same as B and states the reasoning explicitly to eliminate D.

E. Correct. It states that studies by certified psychometricians (those dealing with measurement of human intellect vide IQ and aptitude tests, or those who dealing with measurement of human traits and attitudes, etc….etc) state that any question can never achieve a max. error rate not lower than 80% (i.e. 80% or more), even after allowing for a max. grace variation of up to 5%. This means that no matter how difficult a question is, if it is presented to a well-represented respondent sample population of at least 1000, you will find that generally the toughest question will be answered wrong by at most 75% i.e. 750 people, not more. However, since the error rate is subject to fluctuations (as discussed previously), it will never exceed 79.99999……999%. (i.e. in any case, at least 201 respondents out of 1000 have to answer the question correctly, or else there is something wrong with the question). This proves that the answer to the new question has to be necessarily wrong as the error rate is more than 80% and resolves the contention

Originally posted by itzmyzone911 on 28 Sep 2014, 01:48.
Last edited by itzmyzone911 on 21 Oct 2014, 03:29, edited 6 times in total.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 640 [0]
Given Kudos: 61
Send PM
Re: Editorial: Companies worldwide have started adopting MAT (Management A [#permalink]
i am also curious about the source. though i agree that this question has issues but i am glad that this question has addressed one concern which the following question fails to answer:
Quote:
question Standardized Test Writer: The most difficult items on our most difficult standardized test average a correct response rate of 18%. But two questions that I have written are currently averaging a correct response rate of 7%, so they must be among the most difficult legitimate questions on any of our standardized tests.

Which of the following, if true, would most weaken the test writer’s argument?

A) The test questions are still in an experimental stage.
B) The test questions have not been vetted by any other test writers.
C) The standardized test writer is inexperienced.
D)No standardized test question with a rate below 20% is considered easy.
E) Both questions have multiple answers that are technically correct, but only one answer that is credited as correct.

the original question in this thread uses the premise: a statistical figure to assess the difficulty level of a question and determined only after the number of respondents reaches at least thousand, of ten toughest questions introduced not earlier than three years ago,---->this premise is very important, especially in a question that i have quoted. else it is almost impossible to eliminate option A in quoted question

Quote:
But my most fundamental issue with the problem, and it's an issue in many prep company CR questions, is that the question asks us how to evaluate "the contention" in the argument. The argument does not make one contention - it makes several, so it's impossible to know what the question is even asking.

i agree with you.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 125 [0]
Given Kudos: 231
Send PM
Re: Editorial: Companies worldwide have started adopting MAT (Management A [#permalink]
This question looks like it is from LSAT and definitely not from GMAT.I have never seen such a type of question in any gmat practice book and think that it is a self-made question
W.R.T. correct answer i have serious doubt between options B and E
Manager
Manager
Status:Final Call! Will Achieve Target ANyHow This Tym! :)
Own Kudos [?]: 153 [0]
Given Kudos: 135
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V25
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
I don't think such types are asked in GMAT.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts