Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 15:33 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 15:33

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Poor Qualityx      
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 134 [13]
Given Kudos: 269
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.59
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1020 [49]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [5]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Operations, Finance
WE:Project Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Send PM
Re: Rabies caused by the the bite of a mad dog can prove fatal. Even a per [#permalink]
oishik2910 wrote:
Rabies caused by the the bite of a mad dog can prove fatal. Even a person who is recipient of organ transplant from another who is affected by 'rabies' is vulnerable. but such a possibility is non existent as various test are carried out before transplant of human organ is undertaken

which of the following weakens the argument
A) Rabies can be caused by the bite of a mad bat.
B)though the number of persons who need organ transplant is increasing ,the number of those who are willing to donate their organ is inadequate.
C)some persons who received transplants were admitted late and died of rabies.
D)Rabies is a contagious disease transmitted through a saliva of infected animal .
E)the effects of cocaine though lower than that of other narcotics ,are similar to that of rabies.

Can you tell us the source of this question?

The crucial thing we are investigating here is whether there is a possibility, albeit small, that the recipient of organ transplant gets infected somehow. The argument says that various tests are carried out before the transplant takes place. We need to assume that those tests can somehow be beaten or are insufficient in preventing the cause. That's all the pre-thinking I was able to do in this CR.

A) Doesn't really matter. The consequence are rabies and we are not concerned of their origins.

B) At first I found this one tempting. It seems like there isn't enough donors or there will soon not be enough of them. In that case, the infected people might give it a shot and go ahead with the transplant as this is better than no transplant and consequently death. But this is out of scope too.

C) Isn't touching the conclusion whether the possibility is non existent or not.

D) The cause is irrelevant.

E) Since nothing else makes enough sense to me, I have to go with this one. But this one also isn't touching the transplant itself and the possibility of getting infected during the transplant. It point to the fact that people can get rabies some other way, namely though using cocaine, but doesn't help to explain if a person can get rabies during the transplant.

Therefore, I chose B, even though it assumes too much.

Weird question. Maybe someone else can offer better explanation.

Thanks,
Jay
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [2]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.17
WE:Other (Accounting)
Send PM
Re: Rabies caused by the the bite of a mad dog can prove fatal. Even a per [#permalink]
Kudos
E is the best.

This question, although it's pretty bad, is not as bad as some other "150 difficult questions".

Premise: Tests are done to the about-to-be transplanted organs.
Conclusion: The possibility of rabies, contained in transplanted organs, affecting recipient is zero.

Proposed Assumptions - Things never go wrong either during the transplant process or during the testing.

A), This simply repeats the background of the question. It's irrelevant.

B), The number of people who are willing to donate organs has nothing to do the incident that people get affected by rabies after receiving donated organs.

C), We don't know when those people get affected by rabies. If this question is: which of the following is necessary to be done to evaluate the argument, this option could be an ideally correct answer.

D), This tells us how rabies are transmitted. It's irrelevant to the reasoning.

E), One more step needs to be done to understand this question. As I mention about the assumption - Things can never go wrong during the process of transplanting or testing. This option attacks "testing process". Simply, how will we know that people will always be able to differentiate the effects of cocaine and the effects of rabies through testing? Remember, the conclusion is that the possibility is "non-existent". One more step here is not to make another assumption to make the assumption in the argument work more properly, but rather to connect this option with the proposed assumption: There must be something between this similarity and the testing that will make such "non-existent" not so absolute.

Feel free to discuss.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
GMAT 1: 460 Q32 V22
Send PM
StrugglingGmat2910 wrote:
Rabies caused by the the bite of a mad dog can prove fatal. Even a person who is recipient of organ transplant from another who is affected by 'rabies' is vulnerable. but such a possibility is non existent as various test are carried out before transplant of human organ is undertaken

Which of the following weakens the argument

A) Rabies can be caused by the bite of a mad bat.
B) though the number of persons who need organ transplant is increasing ,the number of those who are willing to donate their organ is inadequate.
C) some persons who received transplants were admitted late and died of rabies.
D) Rabies is a contagious disease transmitted through a saliva of infected animal.
E) the effects of cocaine though lower than that of other narcotics ,are similar to that of rabies.

Stick to OG instead.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 51
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41
Send PM
Kudos
Is E the answer because of something to do with the wrong diagnosis of rabies due to similar effects of cocaine ? or is the question suspect ?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [1]
Given Kudos: 158
Schools: ISB '21 (A)
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GPA: 3
Send PM
Kudos
What is the source of this question?

Scratched my head for a good 5-6 min and still none of the options seemed convincing.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [1]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
This question is definitely not worth studying from. There is no valid answer, and the argument is not properly written to begin with. If you're really out of official GMAT questions (and you shouldn't be), hit the LSAT. There are thousands of well-written questions available!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 134 [1]
Given Kudos: 269
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.59
Send PM
Kudos
Sir i would suggest experts and students not to spend time on this : i found this question from an horrendous time prep company study materials in my early days of preparation. Apologies for bothering on such vague and poor questions

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
This question only strengthens my determination that not every question on the internet that is said to be of GMAT level is actually not
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 236 [0]
Given Kudos: 295
GPA: 4
WE:Business Development (Retail Banking)
Send PM
why was i even attempting this wierd ass Question. E sounds as if it is the only answer but makes very little sense to this doctor friend of mine . What is it trying to say ? You get cab Rabies with a different reason ? what's the conclusion. ?

This Question is Locked Due to Poor Quality
Hi there,
The question you've reached has been archived due to not meeting our community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Looking for better-quality questions? Check out the 'Similar Questions' block below for a list of similar but high-quality questions.
Want to join other relevant Problem Solving discussions? Visit our Critical Reasoning (CR) Forum for the most recent and top-quality discussions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts