Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 23:29 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 23:29

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 379 [143]
Given Kudos: 165
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2755 [19]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64906 [11]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [4]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools: Jones '15
Send PM
Re: For Ralph Waldo Emerson, transcendentalism was his professed ideal ove [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
For Ralph Waldo Emerson, transcendentalism was his professed ideal over a century before the contemporary American environmental movement was launched with Rachel Carson’s Silent Spring, and he outlined his beliefs in his essay, “Nature,” arguing that man does not fully accept nature’s beauty and all that it has to offer.

was launched with Rachel Carson’s Silent Spring, and he outlined his beliefs in his essay, “Nature,” arguing that man does not fully accept nature’s beauty and all that it has to offer. arguing here is incorrect - what does it modify? essay cannot argue. Neither does it modify the whole clause properly

launched itself with Rachel Carson’s Silent Spring, and outlined his beliefs in his essay, “Nature,” which argued that man does not fully accept nature’s beauty and all that it offers. movement launched itself??? incorrect

launched with Rachel Carson’s Silent Spring; he outlined his beliefs in his essay, “Nature,” which argued that man does not fully accept nature’s beauty and all that it has to offer. Seems like the best choice - which argued works better. Although I agree launched vs. was launched is questionable But nonetheless launched works here.

launched Rachel Carson’s Silent Spring; Emerson outlined his beliefs in his essay, “Nature,” arguing that man does not fully accept nature’s beauty and all that it has to offer. same problem as A. Modifier error

was launched with Rachel Carson’s Silent Spring; in it he outlined his beliefs in this essay, “Nature,” arguing that man does not fully accept nature’s beauty and all that it offers. it is ambiguous - what is it? movement, essay ?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1042 [7]
Given Kudos: 32
Send PM
Re: For Ralph Waldo Emerson, transcendentalism was his professed ideal ove [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
nanishora wrote:
For Ralph Waldo Emerson, transcendentalism was his professed ideal over a century before the contemporary American environmental movement was launched with Rachel Carson’s Silent Spring, and he outlined his beliefs in his essay, “Nature,” arguing that man does not fully accept nature’s beauty and all that it has to offer.

was launched with Rachel Carson’s Silent Spring, and he outlined his beliefs in his essay, “Nature,” arguing that man does not fully accept nature’s beauty and all that it has to offer. arguing here is incorrect - what does it modify? essay cannot argue. Neither does it modify the whole clause properly

launched itself with Rachel Carson’s Silent Spring, and outlined his beliefs in his essay, “Nature,” which argued that man does not fully accept nature’s beauty and all that it offers. movement launched itself??? incorrect

launched with Rachel Carson’s Silent Spring; he outlined his beliefs in his essay, “Nature,” which argued that man does not fully accept nature’s beauty and all that it has to offer. Seems like the best choice - which argued works better. Although I agree launched vs. was launched is questionable But nonetheless launched works here.

launched Rachel Carson’s Silent Spring; Emerson outlined his beliefs in his essay, “Nature,” arguing that man does not fully accept nature’s beauty and all that it has to offer. same problem as A. Modifier error

was launched with Rachel Carson’s Silent Spring; in it he outlined his beliefs in this essay, “Nature,” arguing that man does not fully accept nature’s beauty and all that it offers. it is ambiguous - what is it? movement, essay ?

the which in C seems to refer to "Nature" a essay, so my question is how can a essay argue anything, a person can make an argument through an essay.
In option A "arguing ..... " is used as an adverbial modifier modifying the preceding clause.
For example ->
I wrote on book on genetic, arguing that human cloning is possible.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 141 [0]
Given Kudos: 44
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 1: 440 Q33 V13
GPA: 3
Send PM
launched with Rachel Carson’s Silent Spring; he outlined his beliefs in his essay, “Nature,” which argued that man does not fully accept nature’s beauty and all that it has to offer.

Guys why not D...

launched Rachel Carson’s Silent Spring; Emerson outlined his beliefs in his essay, “Nature,” arguing that man does not fully accept nature’s beauty and all that it has to offer.

Both C and D seems similar...
Even D is more clear in expressing meaning....

In C, how can a pronoun "he" in independent clause refers back to Emerson ????
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64906 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
shanmugamgsn wrote:
launched with Rachel Carson’s Silent Spring; he outlined his beliefs in his essay, “Nature,” which argued that man does not fully accept nature’s beauty and all that it has to offer.

Guys why not D...

launched Rachel Carson’s Silent Spring; Emerson outlined his beliefs in his essay, “Nature,” arguing that man does not fully accept nature’s beauty and all that it has to offer.

D is not correct because the 'contemporary American environmental movement' did not launch 'Rachel Carson’s Silent Spring'. A movement does not launch a book. Instead, a book launches a movement.

In the first part of the sentence, we are talking about 'Ralph Waldo Emerson'. 'he' is naturally referring to him.

Take another example:
I love my brother; he is witty and caring.

Who does 'he' refer to here? Obviously, it refers to 'my brother'.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 440 [2]
Given Kudos: 166
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 2: 660 Q50 V29
GMAT 3: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.2
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Jp27 wrote:
nanishora wrote:

the which in C seems to refer to "Nature" a essay, so my question is how can a essay argue anything, a person can make an argument through an essay.
In option A "arguing ..... " is used as an adverbial modifier modifying the preceding clause.
For example ->
I wrote on book on genetic, arguing that human cloning is possible.

But I still don't understand 2 things :

1. "The contemporary American environmental movement was launched"
vs
"The contemporary American environmental movement launched"

An environmental movement cannot launch itself right? The movement always needs to be launched by others ...

Hence to me "The contemporary American environmental movement was launched..." is correct
and "The contemporary American environmental movement launched ..." is incorrect

2. To me "arguing that man does not fully accept nature’s beauty and all that it has to offer" is correctly modifying the previous clause. What is wrong with arguing here

Please correct me where I am wrong here
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31897 [3]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply

A. was launched with Rachel Carson’s Silent Spring, and he outlined his beliefs in his essay, “Nature,” arguing that man does not fully accept nature’s beauty and all that it has to offer.
'was launched' is not appropriate here ...the portion after "and" is not parallel to the first part

B. launched itself with Rachel Carson’s Silent Spring, and outlined his beliefs in his essay, “Nature,” which argued that man does not fully accept nature’s beauty and all that it offers.
and outlined" makes it as if the movement outlined the beliefs...

C. launched with Rachel Carson’s Silent Spring; he outlined his beliefs in his essay, “Nature,” which argued that man does not fully accept nature’s beauty and all that it has to offer.
the second part of the sentence is written as an independent sentence, resolving all issues.. CORRECT

D. launched Rachel Carson’s Silent Spring; Emerson outlined his beliefs in his essay, “Nature,” arguing that man does not fully accept nature’s beauty and all that it has to offer.
'with' missing ,changing the meaning...

E. was launched with Rachel Carson’s Silent Spring; in it he outlined his beliefs in this essay, “Nature,” arguing that man does not fully accept nature’s beauty and all that it offers.
"was" and "in it" make the sentence incorrect
ans C
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64906 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
sruwan wrote:
c) launched with Rachel Carson’s Silent Spring; he outlined his beliefs in his essay, “Nature,” which argued that man does not fully accept nature’s beauty and all that it has to offer.

in the correct answer, how can it refer back to nature? can it refer to something in quotes? I thought GMAT does not allow a pronoun to refer to a possessive. Please clarify. Thanks

"it" refers to "nature's beauty". The noun is "beauty".
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
shanmugamgsn wrote:

Guys why not D...

D is not correct because the 'contemporary American environmental movement' did not launch 'Rachel Carson’s Silent Spring'. A movement does not launch a book. Instead, a book launches a movement.

In the first part of the sentence, we are talking about 'Ralph Waldo Emerson'. 'he' is naturally referring to him.

Take another example:

I still dont buy this totally. If I change your example to I love my brother Jack while Jack loves James; he is really witty. Now who does he here refer to? my brother Jack or James?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 566 [1]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Kudos
A. was launched with Rachel Carson’s Silent Spring, and he outlined his beliefs in his essay, “Nature,” arguing that man does not fully accept nature’s beauty and all that it has to offer.

C. launched with Rachel Carson’s Silent Spring; he outlined his beliefs in his essay, “Nature,” which argued that man does not fully accept nature’s beauty and all that it has to offer.

The bold portions make C a better answer than A.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64906 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
150688abhi wrote:
shanmugamgsn wrote:

Guys why not D...

Take another example:

I still dont buy this totally. If I change your example to I love my brother Jack while Jack loves James; he is really witty. Now who does he here refer to? my brother Jack or James?

Note that in the original sentence, there is no ambiguity (unlike the example you have given). If "he" doesn't refer to Emerson, who does it refer to? There is no other possible person since Rachel Carson (a feminine name) is anyway used in possessive case only. Hence, it is quite clear that "he" refers to Emerson.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 157
GMAT Focus 1:
685 Q90 V82 DI80
Send PM
man does not fully accept nature’s beauty and all that it offers.

In all the options one thing is awkward....nature's beauty....here nature is in possessive form....
is it correct to use pronoun 'it' for possessive nature's ....and all that it offers.... ??

expert please reply??
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64906 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
abhineetmanu wrote:

In all the options one thing is awkward....nature's beauty....here nature is in possessive form....
is it correct to use pronoun 'it' for possessive nature's ....and all that it offers.... ??

expert please reply??

"it" refers to "nature's beauty". The noun is beauty.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 157
GMAT Focus 1:
685 Q90 V82 DI80
Send PM
abhineetmanu wrote:

expert please reply??

please refer the part
" he outlined his beliefs in his essay, “Nature,” arguing that man does not fully accept nature’s beauty and all that it has to offer"

as per the intended meaning ...man does not fully accept what nature has all to offer not nature's beauty ...what does nature's beauty has to offer to mam??
Tutor
Send PM
Expert Reply
abhineetmanu wrote:
abhineetmanu wrote:

expert please reply??

please refer the part
" he outlined his beliefs in his essay, “Nature,” arguing that man does not fully accept nature’s beauty and all that it has to offer"

as per the intended meaning ...man does not fully accept what nature has all to offer not nature's beauty ...what does nature's beauty has to offer to mam??

How about "a sense of pride", "a feeling of belongingness" and whatever else poets can think of?

Though I am not sure why you are questioning the non-underlined part. The question is not trying to confuse you by asking what you think the author means.

Also, though we do not use a nominative/objective case pronoun when the antecedent is possessive but GMAT will not ask you to decide based on this distinction alone. Check this post for more: https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/2016/0 ... -the-gmat/
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 4
Send PM
sruwan wrote:
c) launched with Rachel Carson’s Silent Spring; he outlined his beliefs in his essay, “Nature,” which argued that man does not fully accept nature’s beauty and all that it has to offer.

in the correct answer, how can it refer back to nature? can it refer to something in quotes? I thought GMAT does not allow a pronoun to refer to a possessive. Please clarify. Thanks

Does "it" refer to the closest noun always?
Tutor
Send PM
Expert Reply
rekhabishop wrote:
sruwan wrote:

Does "it" refer to the closest noun always?

Not necessary. A pronoun takes the logical antecedent. Here is a post discussing pronoun ambiguity:
https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/2016/0 ... -the-gmat/
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [0]
Given Kudos: 289
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.54
Send PM
chetan2u wrote:

'was launched' is not appropriate here ...the portion after "and" is not parallel to the first part

B. launched itself with Rachel Carson’s Silent Spring, and outlined his beliefs in his essay, “Nature,” which argued that man does not fully accept nature’s beauty and all that it offers.
and outlined" makes it as if the movement outlined the beliefs...

the second part of the sentence is written as an independent sentence, resolving all issues.. CORRECT

D. launched Rachel Carson’s Silent Spring; Emerson outlined his beliefs in his essay, “Nature,” arguing that man does not fully accept nature’s beauty and all that it has to offer.
'with' missing ,changing the meaning...

E. was launched with Rachel Carson’s Silent Spring; in it he outlined his beliefs in this essay, “Nature,” arguing that man does not fully accept nature’s beauty and all that it offers.
"was" and "in it" make the sentence incorrect
ans C

Hi Chetan2u,
Can you kindly explain why was launched is not correct here. whether the movement launched itself as in B or launched with something as in C or launched something as in D, all in active voice. Can a movement do such acts? Or is it better to say in passive voice that the movement was launched’. For me, the movement cant launch itself, someone needs to launch it.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts