Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 06:02 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 06:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1551 [40]
Given Kudos: 342
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.93
WE:Account Management (Education)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1551 [2]
Given Kudos: 342
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.93
WE:Account Management (Education)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [1]
Given Kudos: 254
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [1]
Given Kudos: 42
Send PM
Belorechensk, a once poor import dependent country, is now a major [#permalink]
Kudos
To me D is more likely the answer.

So here I think we need to find a reason why the Nobel prize should have been given to the company, not the government. We are given the fact that the company had transformed the region in a good way. Hence we need to find the answer implicates that the company transformed the region by its own way/ its own original mean → the answer should show that the company had nothing to do with the government,

D is the answer that shows that kind of relationship better than any other choices. Hence D.

C can not be the answer as it does not address anything to make us feel that the company deserve the Nobel prize.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [1]
Given Kudos: 49
Send PM
Re: Belorechensk, a once poor import dependent country, is now a major [#permalink]
Kudos
GMATClubers,
Please provide official answer for this question and elaborated explanation.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1779 [0]
Given Kudos: 2562
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
Re: Belorechensk, a once poor import dependent country, is now a major [#permalink]
first of all, the question looks scary but it turns out that it can easily be broken down.
Actually, there are many similar questions. In this question, the key word is "instead". That is, the option must yield a reason why the former should have the Nobel prize while the latter does not deserve to have the award.
C is long, but C is correct.

Others techniques such as POE, shifting scopes, strengthening the result, finding the gaps, ruling out other possibilities, etc... do not work effectively.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [1]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Kudos
chesstitans wrote:
first of all, the question looks scary but it turns out that it can easily be broken down.
Actually, there are many similar questions. In this question, the key word is "instead". That is, the option must yield a reason why the former should have the Nobel prize while the latter does not deserve to have the award.
C is long, but C is correct.

Others techniques such as POE, shifting scopes, strengthening the result, finding the gaps, ruling out other possibilities, etc... do not work effectively.

if it can be easily broken down, please explain how you arrived at C. The explanations thus far have made no sense.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [1]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Kudos
Please take a look at this question. I'm not sure where to even start on this one. The OA makes no sense to me.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [0]
Given Kudos: 233
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 2.8
Send PM
If it was established many years ago that using ideal methods wasn't possible , there is no reason to believe that it is not possible now ! Experts please explain .
VP
VP
Send PM
goforgmat wrote:
If it was established many years ago that using ideal methods wasn't possible , there is no reason to believe that it is not possible now ! Experts please explain .

after you have made extensive practices on GMAT, you soon recognize the pattern from the question type. That is to say, the question is all about finding an answer that supports one thing, but weakens the other thing. Only C has such this kind of power.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1779 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
mikecal wrote:
Please take a look at this question. I'm not sure where to even start on this one. The OA makes no sense to me.

dont worry, I will deliver some aids to you.
after you have made extensive practices on GMAT, you soon recognize the pattern from the question type. That is to say, the question is all about finding an answer that supports one thing, but weakens the other thing. Only C has such this kind of power.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Nezdem wrote:
Belorechensk, a once poor import dependent country, is now a major exporter in the world. Twenty years ago Belorechensk's government introduced a strategy it hoped would engender industrialization; ten years tax rebate for exporters who export goods listed in the government's export hot-list. Paknachkuioth Brothers, a struggling import oriented business, soon began exporting several goods that the world market demands. In twenty years, Paknachkuioth grew to become one of the richest companies in the region. Paknachkuioth established numerous branches in South-West region of Belorechensk and transformed the economic destiny of a once impoverished region. Recently, the government of Belorechensk won the Nobel Peace Prize for transforming the economic destiny of the people of Belorechensk using ideal methods.

Which of the following, if true, would lend the MOST support to the opinion of commentators who recently said that it would have been more sensible had the Nobel Peace Prize been given to Paknachkuioth instead of to the government of Belorechensk?

A. Belorechensk actually used very fraudulent means to grow.

B. Good people find it ridiculous that the government of Belorechensk won the Nobel Peace Prize thereby destroying the credibility of Nobel Peace Prize among good people.

C. A newspaper company with a very poor readership had many decades ago published a report in which a certain nondescript business firm was boasting it could grow businesses by using ideal styles such as emitting zero carbon in all its industrial operations and ultimately the newspaper company published a verified scientific report that predicted that the ideal methods cannot succeed.

D. Paknachkuioth will not use the government hot-list if it becomes a new policy.

E. It has been proven three days ago that Paknachkuioth was penned down as the winner of the award, but an eleventh hour very secret discussion ensured that the name was hastily changed.

C is the right answer.

The newspaper company is nothing but the commentators. It basically says that the commentators verified if the govt's policy would work or not and it apparently would not have worked. So the only reason for the change in fortunes was the P brothers company. Moreover nowhere in the argument does it say that the P brothers company exported only from the HOT LIST... it exported a several commodities..
VP
VP
Send PM
the question basically asks that why the business is supported, but the government is wrong.
C tells that the ideal methods never work.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
Paknachkuioth Brothers, a struggling import oriented business, soon began exporting several goods that the world market demands.

Above line holds the key to why ANSWER IS C . This line is a very soft and subtle indicator that P brothers might not have used the hot-export list and got tax rebate and instead exported other stuff. The moment we can prove this, it immediately CALLS INTO QUESTION that government policy was the major factor behind the growth.

PS : I usually don't write answers, and rather prefer to read answers, but this Q's really intrigued me to. !!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Schools: Bocconi (WA)
GMAT 1: 680 Q45 V38
GPA: 3.42
Send PM
Gaurav1791 wrote:
Paknachkuioth Brothers, a struggling import oriented business, soon began exporting several goods that the world market demands.

Above line holds the key to why ANSWER IS C . This line is a very soft and subtle indicator that P brothers might not have used the hot-export list and got tax rebate and instead exported other stuff. The moment we can prove this, it immediately CALLS INTO QUESTION that government policy was the major factor behind the growth.

PS : I usually don't write answers, and rather prefer to read answers, but this Q's really intrigued me to. !!

Had to wrack my brain, but your answer does make sense. Thank you!

Regards
NikhilST
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts