Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 15:00 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 15:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 303 [144]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35485 [37]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31890 [8]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Replete with bloody revenge, disasters (both deserved and undeserved) [#permalink]
Bookmarks
chetan2u wrote:
happy1992 wrote:
Replete with bloody revenge, disasters (both deserved and undeserved) and agonizing moral dilemmas, the plots of tragedies also involve dramatic irony, where the audience recognizes the facts before they are recognized by the play's characters themselves

A. they are recognized by the play's characters themselves
B. the play's characters recognize the facts
C. these facts are recognized by the play's characters
D. being recognized by the play's characters
E. the play's characters themselves do

Hi,
PL provide the Q with OA...

The MAIN error here is parallelism issue in terms of voice in portion on either side of BEFORE..
The non-underlined portion - the audience recognizes the facts- has 'the facts' as OBJECT and there is no reason to convert the portion as passive after BEFORE..
It is much better to use SAME voice ..
ONLY B and E are left..

In B, the reflexive pronoun THEMSELVES is missing, while E carries it correctly..
Also DO in E is a much better thing than to repeat the words- the facts- again.. Not something which can alone separate two chopices..

E

Why is themselves necessary? wouldn't "before they are recognized by the play's characters." work?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 148 [4]
Given Kudos: 242
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V36
GPA: 3.56
Send PM
Re: Replete with bloody revenge, disasters (both deserved and undeserved) [#permalink]
Kudos
Replete with bloody revenge, disasters (both deserved and undeserved) and agonizing moral dilemmas, the plots of tragedies also involve dramatic irony, where the audience recognizes the facts before they are recognized by the play's characters themselves.

--> "they" and "themselves" must have the same antecedant if they stand in the same clause. Active voice is preferred if available.

--> redundant.

--> redundant. Active voice is preferred if available.

--> it is implicitly understood that the subject of being recognized is "the audience" --> wrong.

--> correct and concise.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 523 [3]
Given Kudos: 916
Send PM
Kudos
happy1992 wrote:
Replete with bloody revenge, disasters (both deserved and undeserved) and agonizing moral dilemmas, the plots of tragedies also involve dramatic irony, where the audience recognizes the facts before they are recognized by the play's characters themselves

this is hard question. the points tested here are passive voice and pronoun problem.

passive voice is used when the agent which make the action is not important. only the action and object of action is important. in this context, the agent of action, "play characters" are important. so, passive voice should not be used. choice C is inferior to Choice E. the passtive voice is only incorrect when the active voice is present and is considered better when the agent is important. when agent is important, it should be subject of the sentence. when only action and object of action is important, passive is used. that is all about passive and active difference.

regarding pronoun problem.
I like the apple and my friends also like the apple.
if we do not use pronoun. the sentence become unclear. it is possible that there are two apples. I Like apple A and you like apple B. This is serious meaning problem if you do not use pronoun. so, the use of pronoun make the meaning clear: there is only one apple. for all those reasons, choice B is wrong.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 523 [0]
Given Kudos: 916
Send PM
normally, when passive voice is used, agent which makes action is not shown because the speakers is not willing to say about this agent. if passive voice contain agent at the end of sentence, this agent becomes redundant because the speaker at this moment do not want to focus on agent. if agent is the focus of the sentence, this agent should be the grammatical subject of the sentence and the sentence should be an active voice.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 288
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V31
Send PM
daagh
Can you please brief the difference between B and E ?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 396 [1]
Given Kudos: 2198
Send PM
Kudos
happy1992 wrote:
Replete with bloody revenge, disasters (both deserved and undeserved) and agonizing moral dilemmas, the plots of tragedies also involve dramatic irony, where the audience recognizes the facts before they are recognized by the play's characters themselves.

(A) they are recognized by the play's characters themselves

(B) the play's characters recognize the facts

(C) these facts are recognized by the play's characters

(D) being recognized by the play's characters

(E) the play's characters themselves do

choice D, being refers to audience . this is illogic clearly
in choice A, "they" is unclear..
look at choice B and C.
we use passive if we want to emphasis not the agent making the action but the action/fact performed by the agent. inhere, we want to emphasis agent not what agent do, so, active is better than passive, C is gone/

we dont repeat a noun but we have to use pronoun. B is gone

two problems with choice B and C is subtle and will not tested on gmat frequently. this make this question hard
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 288
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V31
Send PM
daagh AjiteshArun
Can you please brief the difference between option B and E ?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [1]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
teasarbae
In B, where the audience recognizes the facts before the play's characters recognize the facts -- the repetition of 'recognize the facts' is redundant and awkward
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 108
GRE 1: Q167 V166
Send PM
daagh wrote:
teasarbae
In B, where the audience recognizes the facts before the play's characters recognize the facts -- the repetition of 'recognize the facts' is redundant and awkward

I find it hard to understand this because Kaplan has similar questions that seem to use these repetitions.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 418 [0]
Given Kudos: 596
Concentration: Operations, Technology
Send PM
generis

What's wrong with option B?? I don't think B is wrong in any sort.

I know that E is also correct but we have to discard B on the basis of any reason. I am not able to find that reason.

Please help !!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1321 [1]
Given Kudos: 143
GMAT 1: 670 Q46 V36
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V38
GMAT 3: 690 Q48 V37
GMAT 4: 710 Q49 V38 (Online)
Send PM
Kudos
happy1992 wrote:

(A) they are recognized by the play's characters themselves

(B) the play's characters recognize the facts

(C) these facts are recognized by the play's characters

(D) being recognized by the play's characters

(E) the play's characters themselves do

GMATNinja daagh egmat EducationAisle I would really appreciate if someone could help me clear my doubt regarding ellipsis. Thanks!

I understand why E is superior to all other choices but I ruled it out due to one issue: ellipsis.

The audience recognizes the facts before the play's characters themselves do (recognize)

"recognize" is missing since "recognizes" != "recognize". I know that there's a rule that all words in ellipsis should be present somewhere else in the sentence. How can we get away without the exact verb present somewhere else?

In contrast, for example (Ellipsis with sentences without DO), in this Q: https://gmatclub.com/forum/inflation-ha ... ml?kudos=1, we do need the exact verb tense.
Wrong: They still expect to live better than their parents have (Missing: "lived". Need "did (live)" instead of "have")

Another example (Ellipsis with sentences with DO):
Wrong: She went to school before all children do (Missing: "go". Need "did (go)" instead of "do" but no "go"????)
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35485 [7]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
Kudos