Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 09:22 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 09:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: Sub 505 Levelx   Arithmeticx                  
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618768 [12]
Given Kudos: 81587
Send PM
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 16832 [4]
Given Kudos: 165
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Re: How many basic units of currency X are equivalent to 250 basi [#permalink]
Kudos
It is interesting to notice that both answer choices basically say the same, because statement two is a multiple of statement one (factor 20).

I am still choosing D, because a currency conversion is always a straight line. e.g. 1 EUR = 1,15 USD. Therefore, 2 EUR = 2,30 USD. The same reasoning applies to this question.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2499 [0]
Given Kudos: 459
Send PM
Aadhitthyaa wrote:
Answer should be E right ? We can't find the relation if its a straight line or parabola or anything else? Even with both the statements included. Please help.

Hello

I think in this case relation should be fairly simple and straight (line). If 'a' units of currency X are equal to 'b' units of currency Y, then
1 unit of currency X = b/a units of currency Y and
1 unit of currency Y = a/b units of currency X
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
GPA: 3.89
Send PM
Can anyone help me understand why my-setup is wrong?

Notice statement 1 and 2 are the same.
Correct answer is choice D. I chose answer choice E because my algebra came down to 3V2E. 3 variables but only 2 equations, therefor it is not sufficient, or I thought.

My setup was (#)(X) units = (250)(Y)? Trying to solve for #.

1.) 100X=625Y "100 units of currency X are equivalent to 625 unit of Y" (doesn't "of" mean multiply?)
2.) 2000X=12500Y
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7626 [3]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Kudos
thealchemist89 wrote:

Correct answer is choice D. I chose answer choice E because my algebra came down to 3V2E. 3 variables but only 2 equations, therefor it is not sufficient, or I thought.

1.) 100X=625Y "100 units of currency X are equivalent to 625 unit of Y" (doesn't "of" mean multiply?)
2.) 2000X=12500Y

Hello theAlchemist89,

In trying to solve for #, you could have also taken the ratio approach. That would have helped you understand that this is just not another question on equations. Do not take the variable approach all the time, GMAT Math is about using smart numbers.

If you dig a little deeper, you will see that the individual statements are sufficient because they give us the ratio of X and Y. Let's see.

Statement I alone says that 100 basic units of X are equivalent to 625 basic units of Y. This means 100 * X = 625 * Y, which can be reorganised and written as X/Y = 4/25. This means that every 4 basic units of X is equivalent to 25 basic units of Y. This can help us find out the X equivalent of 250 units of Y.

Statement II alone says that 2000 basic units of X are equivalent to 12500 basic units of Y. This means 2000 * X = 12500 * Y, which can be reorganised and written as X/Y = 4/25. This again means that every 4 basic units of X is equivalent to 25 basic units of Y. This can help us find out the X equivalent of 250 units of Y.

That's how the individual statements are sufficient when taken alone. That's why the correct answer is D.

Also, 'Of' can mean multiplication but it's usually used with fractions, decimals, percentages etc., to signify 'so many times of'.

Hope that helps!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
GPA: 3.89
Send PM
ArvindCrackVerbal wrote:
thealchemist89 wrote:

2.) 2000X=12500Y

Hello theAlchemist89,

In trying to solve for #, you could have also taken the ratio approach. That would have helped you understand that this is just not another question on equations. Do not take the variable approach all the time, GMAT Math is about using smart numbers.

If you dig a little deeper, you will see that the individual statements are sufficient because they give us the ratio of X and Y. Let's see.

Statement I alone says that 100 basic units of X are equivalent to 625 basic units of Y. This means 100 * X = 625 * Y, which can be reorganised and written as X/Y = 4/25. This means that every 4 basic units of X is equivalent to 25 basic units of Y. This can help us find out the X equivalent of 250 units of Y.

Statement II alone says that 2000 basic units of X are equivalent to 12500 basic units of Y. This means 2000 * X = 12500 * Y, which can be reorganised and written as X/Y = 4/25. This again means that every 4 basic units of X is equivalent to 25 basic units of Y. This can help us find out the X equivalent of 250 units of Y.

That's how the individual statements are sufficient when taken alone. That's why the correct answer is D.

Also, 'Of' can mean multiplication but it's usually used with fractions, decimals, percentages etc., to signify 'so many times of'.

Hope that helps!

Thank you so much for the elaborate explanation and mentioning to not always approach it as algebra, which I usually default to. ( I know this sentence is not in parallel form =)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 74
Send PM
CrackVerbalGMAT wrote:
thealchemist89 wrote:

2.) 2000X=12500Y

Hello theAlchemist89,

Hope that helps!

Please double-check your explanation. Did you mean to write 100 * X = 625 * Y? That will not give you X/Y=4/25. Similarly, for statement 2, it can't be 200 * X = 12500 * Y.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Status:GMAT/GRE Tutor l Admission Consultant l On-Demand Course creator
Own Kudos [?]: 13387 [1]
Given Kudos: 124
GMAT: QUANT+DI EXPERT
Schools: IIM (A) ISB '24
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V41
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:
How many basic units of currency X are equivalent to 250 basic units of currency Y ?

(1) 100 basic units of currency X are equivalent to 625 basic units of currency Y.

(2) 2,000 basic units of currency X are equivalent to 12,500 basic units of currency Y.

NEW question from GMAT® Official Guide 2019

(DS03422)

Wanna make solving the Official Questions interesting???

Click here and solve 1000+ Official Questions with Video solutions as Timed Sectional Tests

and Dedicated Data Sufficiency (DS) Course

Answer: Option D

Video solution by GMATinsight

Get TOPICWISE: Concept Videos | Practice Qns 100+ | Official Qns 50+ | 100% Video solution CLICK HERE.
Two MUST join YouTube channels : GMATinsight (1000+ FREE Videos) and GMATclub :)
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22044 [4]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Kudos