Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 10:31 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 10:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618970 [2]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [10]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
General Discussion
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 916 [0]
Given Kudos: 911
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V37
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Re: Electronic Wizard has invented a very compact hand-held extremely powe [#permalink]
Bunuel wrote:
Electronic Wizard has invented a very compact hand-held extremely powerful electric vacuum pump, primarily for applications in computer manufacturing. They also plan to make a version with a filter for cleaning surfaces, and market this as a cleaning device to homeowners. This hand-held electric vacuum pump will only be able to clean small areas, so homeowners would still need to own a conventional vacuum cleaner.

Which of the following, if true, provides the strongest grounds for a prediction that homeowners will buy the hand-held electric vacuum pump cleaner?

A. Some types of household dirt do not require a tremendous amount of power to be picked up.
B. Many homeowners have older conventional vacuum cleaners that need replacement.
C. Some household areas traditionally have been very hard to clean because they are too small and confined for conventional vacuum cleaners to reach.
D. When the homeowner is cleaning the larger area surfaces in the house, the hand-held electric vacuum pump will not need a filter replacement.
E. Houses in which a maid staff does the vacuuming are typically exceptionally clean.

if i am correct this is a similar question to the OG version of water purifiers as a new freezing system....bla bla..
conc: homeowners still need the conventional system despite the new hand held electric pump. why?
we can pre think that the old system must be used in some conditions that cannot fit in the new system.
A. NO COMP OF POWERS.. OOS
B. STILL DOESNOT EXPLAIN WHY THEY HAVE TO MAINTAIN THE OLD SYS IF REPLACING. OOS
C. LOOKS GOOD, KEEP IT.
D.ITS THE OPP THE ARGUMENT IS TRYING TO CONVEY, WE NEED TO FIND A REASON DESPITE HAVING A NEW DEVICE WHY WE NEED A OLD CONVENTIONAL SYS..[TRAP]
E. MAID..BLA ..BLA OOS
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 418 [0]
Given Kudos: 596
Concentration: Operations, Technology
Send PM
Electronic Wizard has invented a very compact hand-held extremely powe [#permalink]
The argument says that the hand-held electric vacuum pump with filter will be marketed as a cleaning device to homeowners. This hand-held electric vacuum pump will only be able to clean small areas, so homeowners would still need to own a conventional vacuum cleaner.

We have to strengthen the reasoning by picking up the answer choice that says homeowners will buy the hand-held electric vacuum pump cleaner.

A. Some types of household dirt do not require a tremendous amount of power to be picked up.

Power is out of context.Incorrect.

B. Many homeowners have older conventional vacuum cleaners that need replacement.

Older conventional vacuum cleaners need replacement does not provide us the answer that homeowners will buy the hand-held electric vacuum pump cleaner.
Incorrect.

C. Some household areas traditionally have been very hard to clean because they are too small and confined for conventional vacuum cleaners to reach.

This is what we are looking for.This says some household areas are very hard to clean because they are too small and the conventional vacuum cleaners cannot clean these areas. Therefore we need hand-held electric vacuum pump cleaner that are designed to clean small areas.Correct.

D. When the homeowner is cleaning the larger area surfaces in the house, the hand-held electric vacuum pump will not need a filter replacement.

Irrelevant.The hand-held vacuum cleaner is designed to effectively clean smaller areas not larger areas.

E. Houses in which a maid staff does the vacuuming are typically exceptionally clean.

Irrelevant.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Re: Electronic Wizard has invented a very compact hand-held extremely powe [#permalink]
How to solve strengthen CR ?

1. Understand logic and conclusion
2. A. First see if question is open ended - strengthen the above passage or B. the question is saying strengthen a specific part of passage by providing conclusion in the question stem ?
3. Here it is B type - If B type - then Pre-think would only require thinking option which can strengthen Logic. If A type - we need 2 prethink options one for logic and one for conclusion
4. Rule out option by glance and here you go.

C it is
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
I picked up C too but doesn't it say Some?

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 158 [0]
Given Kudos: 818
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 2.84
WE:Other (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
manishbatra92 wrote:

Even I agree with you. I picked up D cos of the issue. Any replies experts?

Sent from my Mi A1 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 290 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
It was an easy C. All other options are irrelevant.

Sent from my Lenovo K53a48 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 418 [0]
Given Kudos: 596
Concentration: Operations, Technology
Send PM
honneeey wrote:
manishbatra92 wrote:

Even I agree with you. I picked up D cos of the issue. Any replies experts?

Sent from my Mi A1 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Check my reasoning.

Irrelevant.The hand-held vacuum cleaner is designed to effectively clean smaller areas not larger areas.
RSM Erasmus Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1360 [0]
Given Kudos: 641
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Schools: Erasmus (II)
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
Electronic Wizard has invented a very compact hand-held extremely powerful electric vacuum pump, primarily for applications in computer manufacturing. They also plan to make a version with a filter for cleaning surfaces, and market this as a cleaning device to homeowners. This hand-held electric vacuum pump will only be able to clean small areas, so homeowners would still need to own a conventional vacuum cleaner.

Which of the following, if true, provides the strongest grounds for a prediction that homeowners will buy the hand-held electric vacuum pump cleaner?

Dear GMATGuruNY

While I agree about the OA. I'm skeptical of using word 'some' as it means 'at least one' so If we have one corner in aarea in my house. does this justify purchasing the new version? I think using 'many' would add some strength.

Can you help please?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 3136 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools:Dartmouth College
Send PM
Electronic Wizard has invented a very compact hand-held extremely powe [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Mo2men wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

Dear GMATGuruNY

While I agree about the OA. I'm skeptical of using word 'some' as it means 'at least one' so If we have one corner in aarea in my house. does this justify purchasing the new version? I think using 'many' would add some strength.

Can you help please?

The correct answer does not need to show that sales will be massive or even that the device will be profitable.
It merely has to support that the prediction that homeowners will BUY the hand-held electric vacuum pump cleaner.
The OA conveys the following:
A typical household has AT LEAST ONE AREA that is very hard to clean because it is too small and confined for conventional vacuum cleaners to reach.
Here, homeowners have a clear use for the hand-held electric vacuum pump cleaner, supporting the prediction that they will buy the device.

RSM Erasmus Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1360 [0]
Given Kudos: 641
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Schools: Erasmus (II)
Send PM
GMATGuruNY wrote:

The correct answer does not need to show that sales will be massive or even that the device will be profitable.
It merely has to support that the prediction that homeowners will BUY the hand-held electric vacuum pump cleaner.
The OA conveys the following:
A typical household has AT LEAST ONE AREA that is very hard to clean because it is too small and confined for conventional vacuum cleaners to reach.
Here, homeowners have a clear use for the hand-held electric vacuum pump cleaner, supporting the prediction that they will buy the device.

Thanks GMATGuruNY.

I have a hypothetical question, If the the question was asking about the sales or that device will be profitable. In that case, should I be skeptical of using 'some'?

Thanks
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 3136 [2]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools:Dartmouth College
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Mo2men wrote:
Thanks GMATGuruNY.

I have a hypothetical question, If the the question was asking about the sales or that device will be profitable. In that case, should I be skeptical of using 'some'?

Thanks

I would be skeptical if an answer choice were worded as follows:
Some households have an area that is too small and confined for a conventional vacuum cleaner to reach.
Conveyed meaning:
AT LEAST ONE household has such an area.
Here, the number of households could be insufficient to yield significant sales.
But the OA here refers to some household areas.
some household areas = AT LEAST ONE AREA in every house.
Examples of this sort of area:
Below the kitchen refrigerator.
Behind a bedroom dresser.
Underneath the bed in the bedroom.

The OA implies that EVERY HOME has AT LEAST ONE OF THESE AREAS.
This information seems sufficient to support a conclusion that the pump will be profitable.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5650 [0]
Given Kudos: 416
Send PM

Official Explanation

The hand-held vacuum cleaner would only clear small areas. Homeowners will need to own conventional vacuum cleaners. We need to explain --- if folks own a conventional vacuum cleaner, why would they also need this hand-held cleaner?

(C) is the credited response. If there are places that a convention vacuum cleaner could not reach and clean, but which the hand-hold cleaner could reach and clean, then that provides a cogent reason for owning the hand-hold cleaner in addition to a conventional vacuum cleaner.

(A) is a weakener, and we are asked to strengthen the argument. If some types of dirt do not need tremendous power, then this in and of itself provides no incentive to buy the powerful hand-held cleaner.

(B) is irrelevant. An older conventional vacuum cleaner can only be replaced with a new conventional vacuum cleaner. We are told explicitly: the hand-held cleaners will not take the place of a conventional vacuum cleaner. Therefore, this transaction --- replacing an old vacuum cleaner with a new one --- does not involve the hand-held cleaners at all.

(D) is irrelevant. The hand-held cleaner is only used for small areas --- it isn't even used for large areas.

(E) is irrelevant. It doesn't matter who cleans the house. This argument is about whether a certain cleaning product would be needed.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts