Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 08:07 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 08:07

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 1424 [9]
Given Kudos: 570
Farrell Nelson: MBA
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 1424 [1]
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 1424 [0]
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 1424 [2]
Send PM
Re: Calling all Applicants: INSEAD September 2020 Intake ! [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
This post was pretty popular from the Jan batch thread so I am reposting it here, as it is relevant

Round 1 applicants, I hope you have started brainstorming content for each of the 7 essays and 10 recommendation anecdotes to share. 8 weeks passes by very fast. This is definitely a marathon application, too.

I thought you might find this sample INSEAD set of essays helpful. My client has OK'ed me to share them but for your own benefit don't plagiarize, of course.

With regards to his profile, plus points were that he was French (underrepresented..however less so at INSEAD of course), good grades, demonstrated impact at work and a strong "contribution" profile. Negatives were that he only had 2 years of work experience and a 650 GMAT.

He did not want to disclose his ambitions to his manager, so we did not submit any manager recommendations. His recommenders were a fellow board member and one internal client.

Invited to interview but withdrew when he was admitted to Wharton (specifically, Wharton-Lauder MBA/MA joint degree in International Affairs). His internship this summer was to work on the Facebook and https://gmatclub.com/chat merger in Ireland.
Own Kudos [?]: 1424 [1]
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
6 weeks to Round 1~

My overriding guidance is to first take stock of yourself with regards to the 4 criteria: academics, leadership, contribution and international orientation. Really examine what examples you can provide in each of these areas, and figure out where to include them in the application.

Not everyone has to have 100% in all these areas but I would recommend that you look at measures you can take to mitigate problems.

The most important thing however, is to understand your unique contribution, that no one else could make to the program, and get that across. Because ultimately good enough is not good enough; they are looking for STARS that add value to the program (which, don’t forget, is the product they are selling.)

See yourself realistically. Please know that if you plan to “make up” one area for another, there is likely another applicant who does not need to do that. Other applicants are good. They are solid. Keep in mind the GSB mantra: it’s not about evaluation but selection. Will you play the part they need? Who else is going up for the role?

Each week I will post some helpful tips on various questions. Not making any hard promises but will do my best!
Send PM
Expert Reply
Job Essay 1
Briefly summarize your current (or most recent) job, including the nature of work, major responsibilities, and where relevant, employees under your supervision, size of budget, clients/products and results achieved. (short answer)

This is fairly straightforward; however I urge you to run this response by people in your life (or ideally, a consultant) who has no familiarity with your job. We are striving for universal language that will be understood by all members of adcom. They don’t get your acronyms or jargon, and it will be a barrier to them appreciating your greatness.

Tell them the level you are working at: this is often indicated by budgets and employees, but if there is some other measure in your industry, share that. The point of an MBA, for employers, is to access a large body of vetted candidates. Here, INSEAD is seeing how VETTED you are already, by your employer.

And of course, don’t forget the results part. While you don’t have to go into long-winded stories here, just give them a bit of context around the resume highlights that are already in STAR format. Bring a bit of life to those, don’t copy paste, of course. Results are best when quantitative and speak to motivations of making money, saving time and saving money.

For many that involves a certain amount of modeling: what would have happened had you not done that IT thing you did?
Would it have impacted the amount of money your organization could have made? Would it have jeopardized your organizations ability to make money? Think creatively about how to demonstrate how you added value.
Send PM
Expert Reply
Online information session taking place 8am GMT on September 16. There is another preceding it for late August that is already booked so act fast. You will want to do adequate research for the application process! Register here: https://www.insead.edu/master-programmes/events?eloqua_id=5193
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
WE:Consulting (Other)
Send PM
Hi Experts,
I am from the heavily condensed IT Indian background. Keeping that in mind I have few questions :

1.Onsite or Different Country Assignments : I was advised not to keep INSEAD in my college list since the college prefers individuals who have worked on onsite assignments more than those who havent. How true ??
2.INSEAD Abu-Dhabi MBA Campus : Internet has lots to confuse, however, no info on INSEAD official website.
3.INSEAD website talks about International Motivation : Travelling to different countries on personal terms, does that brings any addons.
Own Kudos [?]: 1424 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi anandmsinha987 I am mainly the expert for this thread, so you will get my perspective but feel free to post this elsewhere for other opinions.

You don't HAVE to have international work experience but you do need to have demonstrated a mentality of internationalism. You would be working with a small group of people who do not come from your country or speak your mother tongue, and they want to know you will value that and thrive in that environment.

For Indians, you are up against much tougher competition than less represented applicants. They have a rule of having no more than 10% of students from any one country; you can imagine the applicant pool from India and how plentiful/accomplished they are. So, tough for Indians to get in without international work experience and even with. There would have to be some real interesting offsetting entries.

Traveling for personal reasons is OK but - if you can show it had a really transformational impact on your commitment to internationalism - but frankly, I think you would at LEAST need to have worked with international teams on top of that to appear credible. Sorry to disappoint; if you have a very solid compelling goal that requires an international "UN-style" MBA program you might have a chance IF the test of your profile is mind blowing and exceptional (leadership/contribution/academics.)

As for the Abu Dhabi campus, this is mainly for the Executive Global MBA program participants however if you are part of September batch, you can spend period 4 or later there (about 2 months) and if you are in January batch you can do up to 3 field trips there. it's not really a "home campus" option. Some like to time things so they can do recruitment in P5 in UAE.

anandmsinha987 wrote:
Hi Experts,
I am from the heavily condensed IT Indian background. Keeping that in mind I have few questions :

1.Onsite or Different Country Assignments : I was advised not to keep INSEAD in my college list since the college prefers individuals who have worked on onsite assignments more than those who havent. How true ??
2.INSEAD Abu-Dhabi MBA Campus : Internet has lots to confuse, however, no info on INSEAD official website.
3.INSEAD website talks about International Motivation : Travelling to different countries on personal terms, does that brings any addons.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Thanks anandmsinha987 for posing this question.

MBAPrepCoach , thats an interesting insight. Deducing from your reply, approx. 50 students per country per intake?
Do you happen to have an idea regarding the number of european applicants, specially french?

Thanks in advance!
Send PM
Expert Reply
Thanks, NikC for Indians, actually 100, as the class size is 1000 per batch. They don't require 10% from each country, that would be impossible, but do not exceed that percentage for any particular nationality.

It is becoming even more competitive given the political climate in the US.

I am sorry, don't have the numbers on French applicants. However being French is an advantage in general - maybe slightly less so at INSEAD but the MBA has not totally caught on there and so being French makes you a bit underrepresented in the applicant pool. Once of my French clients was advanced to interviews with a 650 GMAT but decided to go to Wharton instead. Bon merde!

NikC wrote:
Thanks anandmsinha987 for posing this question.

MBAPrepCoach , thats an interesting insight. Deducing from your reply, approx. 50 students per country per intake?
Do you happen to have an idea regarding the number of european applicants, specially french?

Thanks in advance!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
WE:Consulting (Other)
Send PM
Thanks for providing your feedback. Have a great day ahead!

MBAPrepCoach wrote:
Hi anandmsinha987 I am mainly the expert for this thread, so you will get my perspective but feel free to post this elsewhere for other opinions.

You don't HAVE to have international work experience but you do need to have demonstrated a mentality of internationalism. You would be working with a small group of people who do not come from your country or speak your mother tongue, and they want to know you will value that and thrive in that environment.

For Indians, you are up against much tougher competition than less represented applicants. They have a rule of having no more than 10% of students from any one country; you can imagine the applicant pool from India and how plentiful/accomplished they are. So, tough for Indians to get in without international work experience and even with. There would have to be some real interesting offsetting entries.

Traveling for personal reasons is OK but - if you can show it had a really transformational impact on your commitment to internationalism - but frankly, I think you would at LEAST need to have worked with international teams on top of that to appear credible. Sorry to disappoint; if you have a very solid compelling goal that requires an international "UN-style" MBA program you might have a chance IF the test of your profile is mind blowing and exceptional (leadership/contribution/academics.)

As for the Abu Dhabi campus, this is mainly for the Executive Global MBA program participants however if you are part of September batch, you can spend period 4 or later there (about 2 months) and if you are in January batch you can do up to 3 field trips there. it's not really a "home campus" option. Some like to time things so they can do recruitment in P5 in UAE.

anandmsinha987 wrote:
Hi Experts,

[/quote]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi, I just found out from INSEAD that INSEAD has changed its policy on the GRE as of last month. They are now accepting the GRE, even if the GMAT is available in your country. This is very exciting especially for those of you who might have struggled with the Quant on the GMAT.

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 696 [0]
Given Kudos: 156
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
Send PM
MBAPrepCoach

Please evaluate my Profile

Nationality: Indian ( :x :cry: )
GMAT : 690
TOEFL: Yet to take
Work Experience: 49 Months
Sector : Energy Sector ,working as a Business Analyst
Responsibilities at Work: Different Projects specifically centered around Digital Transformations
Did some Volunteering work at College but not so many

NGO/Volunteering Exp : Nil
International Exp : Nil

Can you please let me know should I retake ?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
following
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Good morning,

I am preparing my application to INSEAD Sept 2020 Intake. I have written my essays (just some improvements needed) and reccomendations letters are being written also. I have 9 years of work experience in Retail Market. I scored 710 in GMAT and 7 in IELTS. Do you see any problem with my IELTS score? I know that the recommended score is 7,5...

Tks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Send PM
URGENT
Can someone please specify the recommendation questions (including smaller questions like rating etc.) for the MBA program? I am getting different answers from my recommenders and want to make sure either of them is not making a mistake in filling them.

Many thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [1]
Given Kudos: 74
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Other
GMAT 1: 610 Q39 V35
Send PM