Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 10:57 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 10:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35490 [54]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35490 [48]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1022 [3]
Given Kudos: 134
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Re: According to Herbert Essame, Patton might have accomplished more [#permalink]
can you please guide on the link of verb tenses as there are quite many rules which I am not aware of. Thank you
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2301 [3]
Given Kudos: 114
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
GRE 1: Q169 V168

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: According to Herbert Essame, Patton might have accomplished more [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
My answer is A. It took me 48 seconds.

Two key concepts are tested here:
(1) Subjunctive mood. In reality, Patton did not accomplish more.
(2) (Inversion) had he not been held in check by his superiors = if he had not been held ...

(B) "superiors, Alexander in the Mediterranean and Eisenhower in Europe" should be adjacent to "superiors"
(C) the same issue as above
(D) does not use subjunctive mode.
(E) the same issue as above.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 65 [0]
Given Kudos: 309
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36
GPA: 3.85
Send PM
zhanbo wrote:

(2) (Inversion) had he not been held in check by his superiors = if he had not been held ...

(B) "superiors, Alexander in the Mediterranean and Eisenhower in Europe" should be adjacent to "superiors"

Although i chose A- can you explain which word triggers the subjunctive mood here?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2301 [2]
Given Kudos: 114
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
GRE 1: Q169 V168

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Aviral1995 wrote:
zhanbo wrote:

Although i chose A- can you explain which word triggers the subjunctive mood here?

I guess " Patton might have accomplished more" is a trigger, but understanding the sentence's meaning is just as important. Because "Patton did not accomplish more", the sentence is discussing a hypothetical condition, which calls for subjunctive mood.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 105 [2]
Given Kudos: 65
Send PM
Kudos
generis wrote:

Project SC Butler: Day 171: Sentence Correction (SC2)

For SC butler Questions Click Here

According to Herbert Essame, Patton might have accomplished more had he not been held in check by his superiors, Alexander in the Mediterranean and Eisenhower in Europe.

(A) had he not been held in check by his superiors

(B) had his superiors not held him in check

(C) if his superiors had not held him in check

(D) if he was not held in check by his superiors

(E) when not held in check by his superiors

Alexander in the Mediterranean and Eisenhower in Europe - This modifier defines superiors. So the word superior should be closer to this modifier. So we can reject B & C

This sentence talks about possibility (may/might) and not condition (if/then). Therefore C & D
can be taken out.

Between A and E, E uses WHEN, but the sentence in not talking about a specific time. It is talking in general, So E is out.

My answer is A
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 313 [1]
Given Kudos: 254
WE:General Management (Other)
Send PM
According to Herbert Essame, Patton might have accomplished more [#permalink]
Kudos
According to Herbert Essame, Patton might have accomplished more had he not been held in check by his superiors, Alexander in the Mediterranean and Eisenhower in Europe.

(A) had he not been held in check by his superiors
- Maybe correct? The sentence does not have any immediate issues. The noun superiors is followed by the modifiers Alexander ... and Eisenhower ... . Keep the sentence for now.

(B) had his superiors not held him in check
- Incorrect. There is an apparent modifier issue, i.e. what does the part Alexander ... and Eisenhower ... modify? Check? It should modify superiors.

(C) if his superiors had not held him in check
- Incorrect. Same issue as in B.

(D) if he was not held in check by his superiors
- Maybe correct? There is no issue with superiors and its modifier. However, the original sentence requires the Past Perfect tense.

(E) when not held in check by his superiors
- Incorrect. There is no issue with superiors and its modifier. However, when does not make much sense here from the meaning stand point. Also, as in D, the sentence requires the Past Perfect tense.

Now we need to decide between A and D. The former uses Past Perfect and overall looks better than the latter.

So, we are left with A.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 217 [1]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
Kudos
(A) had he not been held in check by his superiors ( corrects both the parallelism issue and the conditional meaning. so correct choice)

(B) had his superiors not held him in check( conditional had is corrected, but this is not paralleled with alexander and eisenhower, so wrong)

(C) if his superiors had not held him in check( conditional had is corrected, but this is not paralleled with alexander and eisenhower, so wrong)

(D) if he was not held in check by his superiors( in the non underlined portion, might have warrants usage of past perfect in the conditional statement. so wrong)

(E) when not held in check by his superiors ( in the non underlined portion, might have warrants usage of past perfect in the conditional statement. so wrong)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 252 [1]
Given Kudos: 371
Send PM
Kudos
IMO the correct answer is A

I took the initail 2/3 split depending upon the ending of the underlined portion:-

the non-underlined portion..."Alexander in the Mediterranean and Eisenhower in Europe." should properly be modifed by Superiors.

Hence B & C is out.

Remaining options are A, D & E

(A) had he not been held in check by his superiors - Seems correct, hypothetical situation & correct tense usage of past perfect.

(B) had his superiors not held him in check - Already mentioned above the reason - Incorrect

(C) if his superiors had not held him in check - Already mentioned above the reason - Incorrect

(D) if he was not held in check by his superiors - Tense error - Incorrect

(E) when not held in check by his superiors - When theoritically can modify a time, not a person - Incorrect
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [1]
Given Kudos: 49
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
GPA: 3.8
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
The answer should be "A" as per my opinion.

The name of the superiors come after the comma therefore, the subject "Superiors" should come just before the comma. Hence, B and C are out. D and E can be eliminated because the sentence has a subjunctive mood associated with it.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1040 [1]
Given Kudos: 101
Send PM
There are two splits here. Options A, B, and E do not have if clause, while C and D have the if clause.
The situation described here is hypothetical. It's unreal. There is no way of going to past reverse the situation whereby the superiors of Paton would not hold in check. The right construct has to include the if clause. I, therefore, eliminate options A, B, and E because they don't have the if clause.

The main clause, which is the hypothetical result has to be one step ahead in time with respect to the if clause. The tense of the result clause might have accomplished is in the conditional perfect tense. The if clause, therefore, has to be in the past perfect tense. I eliminate D because the if clause in simple past tense if he was not held....

Option C is correct. The if clause is in right tense, which is past perfect tense; if his superiors had not held him back.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 991 [2]
Given Kudos: 421
GMAT 1: 600 Q46 V27
Send PM